PSP Go thread-

[quote name='starmask2k3']PS3 Slim cant play PS2 Games and it only can do 1080p with a Sony 1080p HDTV[/QUOTE]

My 40gb fat cant play PS2 games either. So, the PS3 slim knows what kind of TV it is hooked up too? Are you retarded?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yes, I do... That's exactly why I said what I said. You didn't see reviewers knocking the Slim PS3 because it failed to improve games' graphics or add motion control or whatever. They seemed to understand that it was a redesign of existing hardware, not a new platform with new features and new games. Something that some people don't seem to get about the PSP Go.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked you could still use physical media on the PS3 Slim unlike the PSP Go. Your point is horribly flawed.

[quote name='Malik112099']My 40gb fat cant play PS2 games either. So, the PS3 slim knows what kind of TV it is hooked up too? Are you retarded?
[/QUOTE]
He's talking about the PS3 slim lacking the hardware HDCP decoders, and some older 1080p TVs and non-Sony 1080p TVs apparently wont display the signal in 1080p from a slim. The HDMI's HDCP handshake fails on them apparently- I am not that familiar with it, but it is making me reluctant to sell my 60 and get a slim until there is a works/wont work list for the slim- since it is my only :br: for the playroom.

Not the best analogy.

[quote name='starmask2k3']PS3 Slim... only can do 1080p with a Sony 1080p HDTV[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Whoa, whoa, whoa, what?[/QUOTE]
Reports are spotty, claims are unverified- it's on a rumor level with me:
Example from the playstation.com forums.

Nothing to freak out over, for all I know it only affects one type of TV.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']He's talking about the PS3 slim lacking the hardware HDCP decoders, and some older 1080p TVs and non-Sony 1080p TVs apparently wont display the signal in 1080p from a slim. The HDMI's HDCP handshake fails on them apparently- I am not that familiar with it, but it is making me reluctant to sell my 60 and get a slim until there is a works/wont work list for the slim- since it is my only :br: for the playroom.

Not the best analogy.[/QUOTE]

HDCP handshake is something you would think a firmware update would solve.

[quote name='paddlefoot']HDCP handshake is something you would think a firmware update would solve.[/QUOTE]

Well that depends if hardware HDCP can be fully emulated with software- which would make it much more easily defeatable by device hacking. This isn't really the thread for this- and for all I know the whole issue is a contrivance.

[quote name='h3llbring3r'](Thanks starmask, derailed)
PS3 thread is that way=>[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I just figured I'd chime in since it was briefly being talked about. Carry on with the PSP Go! talk.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']good news?!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...aminer~y2009m9d28-Free-GT-PSP-to-PSPGo-buyers[/QUOTE]

Well, that's...something. I'm not a fan of the Gran Turismo series (consistently losing matches by .001 seconds in the PS2 game soured me on the series quickly), but it's better than nothing.

It'd be nice if we had more details, though - the post doesn't mention if it's just GameStop, and there's no way to verify that his sources are correct. Hell, they're GameStop managers, and we all know how many times we've been lied to by GameStop employees. :lol:

Right now, I'm going to consider this a rumor until there's more verification.

That would be a wise move by Sony although I wish we were getting the black PSP 3000 GT bundle that Europe (I think) is getting. The US' PSP 3000 bundle comes with the same silver PSP I've been rocking since like 2007 (colorwise).

[quote name='Malik112099']Last time I checked you could still use physical media on the PS3 Slim unlike the PSP Go. Your point is horribly flawed.[/QUOTE]
What? Seriously, I don't understand at all what you mean by this.

I can buy Frisky Tanuki's point about this being a show of commitment to retailers, actually, and it is definitely a plus that no matter what, all users get access to a ton of new content at the Go's launch. What I don't get is the use of Sony's use of another proprietary media for memory expansion.

This picture from the engadget review makes me really want it. It just looks so nice in comparison.

psp-go-stacked-on-psp-2000-rm-eng-2.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']What? Seriously, I don't understand at all what you mean by this.[/QUOTE]

They are arguing their point based on a redesign and using the PS3 Slim as an example. The problem is that the PSP Go removes the use of physical media (UMDs) while the PS3 Slim still uses BR disks (just like the fat PS3s). the PS3 Slim is a redesign while the PSP Go is a shiny cluster fuck that is still going to be purchased by people who know better.

Also, I thought the PSp Go was always going to come with GT? Maybe I am thinking of the PSP 3000? Either way the Go should at the VERY LEAST come with a newer game.

[quote name='whoknows']This picture from the engadget review makes me really want it. It just looks so nice in comparison.
[/QUOTE]

I saw that picture as well and am seriously contemplating purchasing. I travel a lot and the size as well as not having to carry UMD's (of which I only own two right now) will be of great help.

[quote name='Malik112099'] Also, I thought the PSp Go was always going to come with GT? Maybe I am thinking of the PSP 3000? Either way the Go should at the VERY LEAST come with a newer game.[/QUOTE]
Europe is getting GT with the PSPGo(or some sort of bundle). But the US is getting a GT PSP3000 bundle...

saw an ad on mnf, it was wacky, but at the end, when the girl is stepping over passed out bodies and walks to the balcony-
the guy is watching a wolverine, but it is daylight.

Is the pspgo screen going to be fully visible, even outside in broad daylight?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Sony went all out to stop people from removing the battery.[/QUOTE]
I imagine the sticker vs solder decision has to do with rapid mail-in serviceability. So IMHO Sony not going all out to thwart battery access may benefit those consumers that don't take care to condition their battery.

Perhaps a more significant issue (for me anyways) in that article is the potential for the PSPgo's "boneitis." Which may prove an even greater concern, since I've read tons of post about people who want to pocket carry this thing.

In other news, the PSPgo has no metal framework whatsoever, meaning that its entire structural integrity is provided by a thin plastic shell. The original PSP never exactly felt durable, but you can expect this one to require as much care as a baby with brittle bone disease. One wonders how much this $250 device actually costs to make.

A slider that lacks a durable frame would concern me greatly if intended for pocket carrying. It gives me serious HTC flashbacks. *shudders*

[quote name='vherub'] Is the pspgo screen going to be fully visible, even outside in broad daylight?[/QUOTE]

That's a no, from what most reviewers are indicating.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I imagine the sticker vs solder decision has to do with rapid mail-in serviceability. So IMHO Sony not going all out to thwart battery access may benefit those consumers that don't take care to condition their battery.

Perhaps a more significant issue (for me anyways) in that article is the potential for the PSPgo's "boneitis." Which may prove an even greater concern, since I've read tons of post about people who want to pocket carry this thing.

A slider that lacks a durable frame would concern me greatly if intended for pocket carrying. It gives me serious HTC flashbacks. *shudders*[/QUOTE]

Damn, I am trying to talk myself into one when the eventual awesome sale happens (crossing fingers). Haven't owned a PSP in about a year and would get several games. The reports just keep getting worse. I was hoping this thing was made with durability in mind.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Damn, I am trying to talk myself into one when the eventual awesome sale happens (crossing fingers). Haven't owned a PSP in about a year and would get several games. The reports just keep getting worse. I was hoping this thing was made with durability in mind.[/QUOTE]

The "awesome sale" is on now, you can get it at Dell for $180 (or less) after Bing Cashback:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237641

You know, the Game Boy Micro ended up in Big Lots eventually. I wonder if that's where they'll dump the PSPgo if it doesn't sell? :whistle2:k

[quote name='mykevermin']Don't Go buyers get that bullshit version of Rock Band? With like 3 songs, but you can buy the DLC?[/QUOTE]

Great - the "Pain" model. :roll:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The "awesome sale" is on now, you can get it at Dell for $180 (or less) after Bing Cashback:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237641[/QUOTE]

And yet, you can get a PSP 3000 for $10 less than that. Retail, without discounts, and with a UMD drive. :D

I'm still struggling to find positive reviews of the PSPgo. Other than Kotaku's overly positive review, the reviews have had, at best, muted praise. IGN's review is here and Wired's review is here.

One thing that I thought was interesting in the IGN review:
There is no question, the PSPgo is by far the most visually appealing PSP yet. With a 56% smaller design than the original PSP and a sleek slide-out screen, the PSPgo is quite alluring at first glance. However, upon further inspection and use, the imperfections of the system's design begin to become apparent. For anyone who has owned or used the previous PSPs, the PSPgo's compact design is a bit of a tactile shock. The PSPgo takes over an inch and a half off of the width of the PSP-3000, and trims a few extra millimeters off of the height and depth. The width reduction ultimately has little effect on user experience in terms of ergonomics, instead, problems arise when the thickness of the unit is split in half when the collapsible screen is extended. When the screen is in the open position, the amount of grippable real estate is reduced to a little over a quarter of an inch, giving users very little to wrap their hands around. To offset the thin, flat lower half of the PSPgo, Sony incorporated thin, low-profile rubberized grips on the rear panel, but they offer little help to the average user, whose fingers will likely extend far beyond them.

It sounds like the sliding part of the system is so thin that it's awkward to hold on to - again, a problem Nintendo hit with the Game Boy Micro. For anyone who's prone to getting cramps from controllers and handhelds that are too small, this could be a big issue.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']You know, the Game Boy Micro ended up in Big Lots eventually. I wonder if that's where they'll dump the PSPgo if it doesn't sell? :whistle2:k
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Big Lots again at ~100. I'd love to have a second PSP that I could use exclusively as a handheld, Japanese PSN store, PSOne system. I'm sick of the reauthorization shuffle and at the moment, only have US PSN store stuff on my PSP 3000.

http://gizmodo.com/5369397/pspgo-dissection-reveals-questionable-long+term-durability

Gizmondo article questing durability.

I really want one and would probably get Persona and Final Fantasy VII.

Really love the smaller form factor, then reality kicks in and I'm spending almost twice the cost of a PSP-2000 and Persona is at full MSRP in the PS store.

Time to get a PSP-2000. Anyone know where they are relatively cheap? Then again, I don't plan on homebrew or anything, so would a 3000 be basically the same?

Quote:Originally Posted by LinkinPrime
The "awesome sale" is on now, you can get it at Dell for $180 (or less) after Bing Cashback:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=237641

Quote:Originally Posted by Gothic Walrus
And yet, you can get a PSP 3000 for $10 less than that. Retail, without discounts, and with a UMD drive.

but for 70$ more you get 16 GB HDD and blue-tooth and smaller design

[quote name='starmask2k3'] but for 70$ more you get 16 GB HDD and blue-tooth and smaller design[/QUOTE]
But you could also use that $70 to go buy memory stick and some cheap games.

[quote name='starmask2k3']Quote:Originally Posted by LinkinPrime
The "awesome sale" is on now, you can get it at Dell for $180 (or less) after Bing Cashback:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=237641

Quote:Originally Posted by Gothic Walrus
And yet, you can get a PSP 3000 for $10 less than that. Retail, without discounts, and with a UMD drive.

but for 70$ more you get 16 GB HDD and blue-tooth and smaller design[/QUOTE]

I would pay another $70 for a UMD transfer drive.

Case in point. I had Persona in my gold box yesterday for $35.50~, with ECA it's around $32, comes with a case, manual, etc. On the Playstation store it is at $40 or full retail. This is a brand new game. Imagine the price discrepancies on games several months old.

Of all my consoles, I prefer my PS3 significantly more than I do my 360 or Wii. That's been the case as long as I've owned them. So I'm not some anti-sony reactionary (though that seems to be moot, as fewer of them exist thanks to a $300 PS3 pricepoint).

But let's be completely honest with ourselves: everything about the PSP Go is fuckin' ridiculous.

EDIT: to emphasize paddlefoot's point, I can go to Amazon and purchase Power Stone Collection on UMD disc for $12.74. Which would be $11.47 shipped after ECA discount. And I could resell it if I wanted to. OR I could pay $20 (plus taxes!) for a non-resellable, non-sharable digital copy from the PS Store.

In sum, how fuckin' stupid do you have to be to give up UMD for size? I can be the knucklehead who buys the $20+ DD version on my old PSP, but I give up the opportunity to buy the $11.47 version if I spend more money on a new system.

You buy a PSP Go, you deserve to be slapped in the face. I came to this conclusion long before moderator LinkinPrime bought one, for the record.

[quote name='mykevermin']In sum, how fuckin' stupid do you have to be to give up UMD for size? I can be the knucklehead who buys the $20+ DD version on my old PSP, but I give up the opportunity to buy the $11.47 version if I spend more money on a new system.[/QUOTE]

This stupid apparently.

(Here's my favorite)

Also take note of my sig.

[quote name='mykevermin']You buy a PSP Go, you deserve to be slapped in the face. I came to this conclusion long before moderator LinkinPrime bought one, for the record.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that asshat was interested simply because it could fit in his pocket.

Hey now, don't be dissing a good solid freeloadin' couchsurfer. I swear by it. Though to be fair I know enough people in enough places that it's never with strangers, so yeah, I suppose "hey internets, can I sleep over tonight?" is a rather peculiar approach.

Don't get me wrong - the PSP Go is attractive and I dig the design, but the limitations it has (i.e. the old PSP has much more functionality than the Go, is far, far cheaper, and only lacks bluetooth) are fucking absurd. Particularly when considered in the context of both the initial price of the console as well as the forward-looking higher price structure you force yourself into by going digital only.

But you already knew that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Of all my consoles, I prefer my PS3 significantly more than I do my 360 or Wii. That's been the case as long as I've owned them. So I'm not some anti-sony reactionary (though that seems to be moot, as fewer of them exist thanks to a $300 PS3 pricepoint).

But let's be completely honest with ourselves: everything about the PSP Go is fuckin' ridiculous.

EDIT: to emphasize paddlefoot's point, I can go to Amazon and purchase Power Stone Collection on UMD disc for $12.74. Which would be $11.47 shipped after ECA discount. And I could resell it if I wanted to. OR I could pay $20 (plus taxes!) for a non-resellable, non-sharable digital copy from the PS Store.

In sum, how fuckin' stupid do you have to be to give up UMD for size? I can be the knucklehead who buys the $20+ DD version on my old PSP, but I give up the opportunity to buy the $11.47 version if I spend more money on a new system.

You buy a PSP Go, you deserve to be slapped in the face. I came to this conclusion long before moderator LinkinPrime bought one, for the record.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention that realistically 16GB of memory is not that much. FF VII takes over 1GB, GT takes over 1GB; granted I'm sure some of the smaller games (Loco Roco, Patapon) have smaller footprints, but what do we expect the big players to come in at? We have LBP, MotorStorm, Assassin's Creed, MGS: Peace Walker ... all will take up space (not to mention the PSP minis or any music/videos you plan on adding). So when that 16GB fills up, people will need to start pulling the shuffle game of moving stuff around.

I know there's an expansion slot, but I find it ironic that you may eventually find yourself having to spend MORE money so that you can take all your games with you (keep in mind, this is not a standard MSPro-Duo either) ... for me, I just throw my games in my hand-held bag and call it a day. So far, my 2GB stick has done me well, but FF VII is pushing the limits. I really think this thing has FAIL written all over it right now.

u dont have to worry about PS1 Games Because you can remote play them and music and video and pics too

[quote name='manthing']To be fair, that asshat was interested simply because it could fit in his pocket.[/QUOTE]
Correction: He wanted a new media player.

Those curious about non-used retail store support-
Page 75 of Best Buy's newest "First Glimpse" magazine lists this regarding the go in the comparison guide:
Games are available via POSA [Point Of Sale Activation]
cards in-store or downloads from the PlayStation store.
This does set up for the potential of discounted new game sales outside of PSN @ BBy (I believe GS was already mentioned); however, since they are POSA it's not like they will ever be clearance priced.
It, of course, doesn't address the consumers ability to resell their own media but hey- a bone is a bone even if thrown.

[quote name='starmask2k3']u dont have to worry about PS1 Games Because you can remote play them and music and video and pics too[/QUOTE]

Only if you have a WiFi connection available. Not everybody has access to them at all times.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Correction: He wanted a new media player.[/QUOTE]

That fit in his pocket. You only get half-credit for your correction.

h3ll:

I have purchased POSA cards from Target on clearance.

I guess GO owners who don't want to pay to be raped by DD could look forward to those rare, infrequent events?

:lol:

[quote name='starmask2k3']but for 70$ more you get 16 GB HDD and blue-tooth and smaller design[/QUOTE]

Memory is cheap, and for $70 I'm willing to give up the Bluetooth and smaller form factor.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Case in point. I had Persona in my gold box yesterday for $35.50~, with ECA it's around $32, comes with a case, manual, etc. On the Playstation store it is at $40 or full retail. This is a brand new game. Imagine the price discrepancies on games several months old.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: to emphasize paddlefoot's point, I can go to Amazon and purchase Power Stone Collection on UMD disc for $12.74. Which would be $11.47 shipped after ECA discount. And I could resell it if I wanted to. OR I could pay $20 (plus taxes!) for a non-resellable, non-sharable digital copy from the PS Store..[/QUOTE]

So we're already up to two games that cost about $10 more on PSN. We can't say that every game is going to cost that much more, but it's not a promising start.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Not to mention that realistically 16GB of memory is not that much. FF VII takes over 1GB, GT takes over 1GB; granted I'm sure some of the smaller games (Loco Roco, Patapon) have smaller footprints, but what do we expect the big players to come in at? We have LBP, MotorStorm, Assassin's Creed, MGS: Peace Walker ... all will take up space (not to mention the PSP minis or any music/videos you plan on adding). So when that 16GB fills up, people will need to start pulling the shuffle game of moving stuff around.

I know there's an expansion slot, but I find it ironic that you may eventually find yourself having to spend MORE money so that you can take all your games with you (keep in mind, this is not a standard MSPro-Duo either) ... for me, I just throw my games in my hand-held bag and call it a day. So far, my 2GB stick has done me well, but FF VII is pushing the limits. I really think this thing has FAIL written all over it right now.[/QUOTE]

This is a very real issue, and one I'm a little surprised I haven't seen more people complain about. People whine about storage on the Wii and older 360s all the time, but I haven't seen nearly as many complaints about storage for the Go.

And if history is any indication, Sony's proprietary storage formats usually cost significantly more to buy.

[quote name='starmask2k3']u dont have to worry about PS1 Games Because you can remote play them and music and video and pics too[/QUOTE]

...Assuming you have a PS3 and a wi-fi connection, sure. Not everybody will, though. I'm interested (or rather, was interested) in the Go and the only Sony console I've got in my house right now is a broken PS2.

That's not a solution for most people.

[quote name='manthing']h3ll:

I guess GO owners who don't want to pay to be raped by DD could look forward to those rare, infrequent events?

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Given how big of a deal sales on point cards and Live subscriptions are, though, you'd have to wait and be lucky enough to get there first.

Right now, the best bet would be hoping that Amazon offers the cards, or that they offer the games in their own store like they do for the 360.

^ I already looked into whether or not the flash memory for the PSP Go is more expensive than Memory Pro Duo. 16GB card for PSP Go on Amazon is $64, 16GB Memory Card Pro Duo on Amazon is $67. Based on that quick anlalysis, they're pretty comparable, I'd say. One issue the PSP Go does not miraculously suffer from.

[quote name='mykevermin']^ I already looked into whether or not the flash memory for the PSP Go is more expensive than Memory Pro Duo. 16GB card for PSP Go on Amazon is $64, 16GB Memory Card Pro Duo on Amazon is $67. Based on that quick anlalysis, they're pretty comparable, I'd say. One issue the PSP Go does not miraculously suffer from.[/QUOTE]

I actually meant more expensive than other flash memory. Sony's formats have always carried a premium; for comparison, you can get a 16GB Secure Digital card for around $30, or the same size in Compact Flash or Micro SD formats for $40.

Still, it's good to know that Sony's not gouging compared to their own prices - just everyone else's. :lol:

[quote name='manthing']
h3ll:

:lol:[/QUOTE]
Indeed, I am quite jealous of your MS points purchase.:bomb:

I finally found some of those but they had taken those out of the system by that time. However, IDK of anytime PSN POSA cards have been on clearance.

bread's done
Back