Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Saix_XIII']I don't fully understand what you are saying. The one on the website that pennied was the more recent PS3 one (based on the info I can find on the BB website).[/QUOTE]

The guide that previously pennied out at Best Buy WAS the more recent, PS3 compatible version (with extra maps).

The ME2 guides left at Best Buy (if you can find them) are the older, original PC/360 versions that ring up $19.99

EDIT: I think Ultragamer meant that he wonders if Best Buy unintentionally pennied out the newer version (instead of the older version). It did seem rather strange that Best Buy would penny out a more "recent" version that people would want to buy for the PS3 maps/DLC content.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I don't fully understand what you are saying. The one on the website that pennied was the more recent PS3 one (based on the info I can find on the BB website).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']The guide that previously pennied out at Best Buy WAS the more recent, PS3 compatible version (with extra maps).

The ME2 guides left at Best Buy (if you can find them) are the older, original PC/360 versions that ring up $19.99

EDIT: I think Ultragamer meant that he wonders if Best Buy unintentionally pennied out the newer version (instead of the older version). It did seem rather strange that Best Buy would penny out a more "recent" version that people would want to buy for the PS3 maps/DLC content.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what ragingst0rm6 said. They pennied out Mass Effect 2 just like Gamestop did like usual, but they pennied out the more recent/updated version of the guide. I think they meant to penny out the old 360 version but messed up on the SKU's and the fact the guide has shown back up on the site randomly might show this.

Hope this will mean they will send out more copies of the updated version of the guide before changing the price in system, could lead to some easy penny guides.

Picked up a PS3/all DLC version of Mass Effect 2 today for a penny. How that was still around I don't know, because I sure could not find one when it originally dropped.

Went to a local Best Buy that the website showed as having the ME2 guide in stock, but struck out. I saw they had a bunch of guides that Gamestop already dropped, but they rung up at full price. :( Also, the guides were a mess and confusing at the store, they were across like 4 aisles >:| *le sigh*

[quote name='Cysquatch']sigh, I'm jealous of all of you getting these mass effect 2 guides :cry:[/QUOTE]

Eh, I wouldn't sweat it. I checked RSS tonight and 1 store out of 20 in the disctrict has any, and they only had one left. Seems these were already gone before I found out about the drop.

[quote name='JSD']Went to a local Best Buy that the website showed as having the ME2 guide in stock, but struck out. I saw they had a bunch of guides that Gamestop already dropped, but they rung up at full price. :( Also, the guides were a mess and confusing at the store, they were across like 4 aisles >:| *le sigh*[/QUOTE]

If Best Buy dropped every guide at the same time as Gamestop I'd be in heaven. My local Gamestops are very strict about pulling around here for the most part so I can never snag them there. Best Buy would be far easier for me.

[quote name='Romeo']Eh, I wouldn't sweat it. I checked RSS tonight and 1 store out of 20 in the disctrict has any, and they only had one left. Seems these were already gone before I found out about the drop.[/QUOTE]

The Mass Effect 2 PS3 guide dropped in August during the last Best Buy drop. It's not recent, which is why people are having trouble finding them.

[quote name='neocisco']The regular ME2 guide for 360 is still full price, correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct, even though it makes little sense.

Also, a couple guides dropped off the Best Buy site today. Not sure what ones, though.

:lol: I found out today from a former GS manager that a memo was sent out saying I should be kicked out of EVERY GS store in the current DM's district after I found a PC DC Universe Online CE and tried to buy it for a penny when it dropped.

:rofl: So the drama with Gamestop continues with me.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: I found out today from a former GS manager that a memo was sent out saying I should be kicked out of EVERY GS store in the current DM's district after I found a PC DC Universe Online CE and tried to buy it for a penny when it dropped.

:rofl: So the drama with Gamestop continues with me.:roll:[/QUOTE]

You can't seem to catch a break, can you? What kind of person actually cares enough to spend the time to send out a memo?

Edit: Also just noticed Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, and Madden 12 guides are all 14.99 (5 bucks off) on Bestbuy.com.

[quote name='Lightning War']You can't seem to catch a break, can you? What kind of person actually cares enough to spend the time to send out a memo?

Edit: Also just noticed Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, and Madden 12 guides are all 14.99 (5 bucks off) on Bestbuy.com.[/QUOTE]
Apparently their DM does.:lol: But yet they had no qualms about taking my traded games/systems off me for at least 3-5 years and reselling those before banning me for behavior they didn't approve of. Apparently their customers are supposed to buy shit for $50 from them and trade it back in for $5 without applying any promos.

I actually spent quite a bit of the credit I made right back at their stores and put down tons of pre-orders to pad employees numbers. I also did every survey I had on the receipts and gave 10's to every one of the employees(though I did kinda go off on a tangent when they said I was banned n left some 'comments' for corporate at the end of the surveys;)).

lol... wtf? I've been giving a certain GS a lot of shit lately after they offered me 10% for a "new" Singstar Dance with no mics, maybe I need to cool it but then again it's a mall GS and they can kiss my ass.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how many stores are in your general area and how many stores are you banned at?

I believe they actually said I was banned from ALL Gamestop stores, not just the ones in this DM's district.:lol:

There's actually about NINE stores in my area, but the furthest ones are about 20-30 miles away from me and I never get to those. Of those nine, only TWO stores were really being hardasses about my ban, those being the one closest to me(where I did most of my pre-orders) and one about 3-5 miles from me.

I just find it hilarious that I was banned in the first place. I was one of their best customers in this area most likely.

I guess they don't like "smart shoppers" but I think if BB keeps it up they are going to give them a run for there money and maybe start taking things more serious.

Just to add my two cents. I was banned from my local GameStops about a year and ahalf ago for trading in two copies of Dirt 2 on 360 and one on PS3, which a manager approved of, but the system flagged me anyway.

I contacted corporate, they had the DM contact me, he just kept saying "We would just rather you not do business with us." So I called corporate again and said I want to talk to someone who will actually listen to what I have to say. The same guy called back which annoyed me.

At that point I was rather aggresive and finally said "So you're telling me that it's OK for GameStop to sell used games and give NO money to the developers as well as sell opened games as if they were brand new, but it's not OK for me to trade in 3 games that a manager specifically OKs?" Basically with that he removed the ban, I figure it was because it was a "ah shit this guy is in the know about all the shady shit we do, we should just keep him 'happy' for now." I never trade in to GS and I have found ways of abusing their system to my advantage without them knowing it's me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I just find it hilarious that I was banned in the first place. I was one of their best customers in this area most likely.[/QUOTE]
Define "best" :lol:

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Just to add my two cents. I was banned from my local GameStops about a year and ahalf ago for trading in two copies of Dirt 2 on 360 and one on PS3, which a manager approved of, but the system flagged me anyway.

I contacted corporate, they had the DM contact me, he just kept saying "We would just rather you not do business with us." So I called corporate again and said I want to talk to someone who will actually listen to what I have to say. The same guy called back which annoyed me.

At that point I was rather aggresive and finally said "So you're telling me that it's OK for GameStop to sell used games and give NO money to the developers as well as sell opened games as if they were brand new, but it's not OK for me to trade in 3 games that a manager specifically OKs?" Basically with that he removed the ban, I figure it was because it was a "ah shit this guy is in the know about all the shady shit we do, we should just keep him 'happy' for now." I never trade in to GS and I have found ways of abusing their system to my advantage without them knowing it's me.[/QUOTE]
My problem was that I was used to trading in games I got on clearance from this Sears or that Target for really cheap. Once both of those locations dried up I largely relied on dupes I got from glitches/sales and that was likely my undoing. Either way, it's kinda nice not having to hear 'would you like to pre-order (insert game I have ZERO interest in)?' 10x per visit to each GS store by me.

But I did get really chummy with all of the employees at a couple of my local GS stores, so it was nice to go in there n ask em if anything dropped(guide wise) and have them point to the stack behind the counter n ask me which ones I wanted.;)
[quote name='kouleefoh']Define "best" :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Maybe best was not the appropriate word to use there.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: I found out today from a former GS manager that a memo was sent out saying I should be kicked out of EVERY GS store in the current DM's district after I found a PC DC Universe Online CE and tried to buy it for a penny when it dropped.

When I saw them go on sale for a penny, I put in an online reservation for in store pick up for like 5 stores and one actually confirmed it. Went there to pick it up and the guy behind the counter got all nervous about selling and starting dialing every person he could think of to find out if he could sell it to me. Now, this was the regular edition mind you. Finally found out that he could sell it. Apparently their policy (by their I mean that district/store) is that if you're there when they do the markdown and want to buy the item for the $0.01, then you can. They also happened to have a PC collector's edition behind the registers and he gladly sold that to me as well. So, for $0.02 I got a "new" (aka opened) PS3 copy and a CE PC copy. I think the penny policy is completely on a district level because I know people that work at another store in a different district closer to where I live that say they've gotten in trouble for selling them. So, it's hit or miss.

[quote name='Cysquatch']Assassin's Creed Brotherhood guide (standard and CE) are no longer on the best buy site[/QUOTE]

Does this typically mean the item is pennied in store?

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard for years from BB/GS employees that they get in trouble with the publishers of the guides if they actually sell the guides to you. I know they get in trouble if they sell copies of a game before street date, though many retailers have a system by which they block the sale of said games.
[quote name='Romeo']Does this typically mean the item is pennied in store?[/QUOTE]
No. It just means they removed it from the website. There have been guides that were removed from the site a LONG time before they actually pennied in store.

[quote name='jetsaredim']When I saw them go on sale for a penny, I put in an online reservation for in store pick up for like 5 stores and one actually confirmed it. Went there to pick it up and the guy behind the counter got all nervous about selling and starting dialing every person he could think of to find out if he could sell it to me. Now, this was the regular edition mind you. Finally found out that he could sell it. Apparently their policy (by their I mean that district/store) is that if you're there when they do the markdown and want to buy the item for the $0.01, then you can. They also happened to have a PC collector's edition behind the registers and he gladly sold that to me as well. So, for $0.02 I got a "new" (aka opened) PS3 copy and a CE PC copy. I think the penny policy is completely on a district level because I know people that work at another store in a different district closer to where I live that say they've gotten in trouble for selling them. So, it's hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

Dibs on the PC CE :p

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't know how true it is, but I've heard for years from BB/GS employees that they get in trouble with the publishers of the guides if they actually sell the guides to you. I know they get in trouble if they sell copies of a game before street date, though many retailers have a system by which they block the sale of said games.[/QUOTE]

Each time I've gotten a guide from bb the person selling it to me doesn't care at all though.

[quote name='Cysquatch']Assassin's Creed Brotherhood guide (standard and CE) are no longer on the best buy site[/QUOTE]

Gah! I literally just saw a bunch of the standard ones and one CE when I went tonight, but the CE rang up at full. It looked like all the standards were marked for $20.

Fingers crossed for a drop on these and I'll make another trip over to the store.

As Ultragamer pointed out, the standard edition is still on the site. I'm almost positive the CE was just recently taken off (Today, probably) however. I remember seeing it on there a day or two ago.

[quote name='Romeo']Does this typically mean the item is pennied in store?[/QUOTE]

It can, but not normally. It makes it a good candidate for a future drop at the least, but you shouldn't put too much faith into it.

[quote name='Lightning War']As Ultragamer pointed out, the standard edition is still on the site. I'm almost positive the CE was just recently taken off (Today, probably) however. I remember seeing it on there a day or two ago.

It can. It makes it a good candidate for a future drop at the least.[/QUOTE]

Brotherhood CE has been gone since they added in the CE for the new one coming in November if my memory serves.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Brotherhood CE has been gone since they added in the CE for the new one coming in November if my memory serves.[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it, but I swear I remember seeing it a couple days ago. I couldn't find the Borderlands GOTY guide, so I tried other collectors editions I remembered seeing in-store and I thought Brotherhood was one of them.

I feel for you. My DM/managers/employees are cool. I asked if they had any DCUO CE and an employee said "no new ones....but you can have this". It was a recently opened PS3 DCUO CE....an employee just opened it to see the statue. Everything was inside (the code worked too), then they gave me a new PC DCUO and a regular PS3 DCUO. I was told that the DM knows of me (by the surverys and managers) and he told them to hook me up.

And they usually don't rang up the penny...they just hand me the games/guides.

I know this should be in the bragging thread....my point is some DMs are the coolest people.

proof
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd480/Readthepost/IMAG0107.jpg

[quote name='Readthepost']

[/QUOTE]

In the past, when I could actually get guides from gamestop, the "on the ball" employees would ring the guides out of the system first and then give me the guides. This way they don't get in trouble for selling them for a penny. By all accounts they did the pull by procedure.

Fingers crossed for a huge drop and for Brotherhood CE to be one of them.

Since yesterday was a "holiday", will that have any effect on when/what day they do the drop?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't know how true it is, but I've heard for years from BB/GS employees that they get in trouble with the publishers of the guides if they actually sell the guides to you. I know they get in trouble if they sell copies of a game before street date, though many retailers have a system by which they block the sale of said games.

No. It just means they removed it from the website. There have been guides that were removed from the site a LONG time before they actually pennied in store.[/QUOTE]

How would a publisher know if a store gave away or sold a penny guide when the store bought the books a year ago? Most GameStop stores destroys guides anyway. Luckily a few I know don't.

[quote name='Romeo']How would a publisher know if a store gave away or sold a penny guide when the store bought the books a year ago? Most GameStop stores destroys guides anyway. Luckily a few I know don't.[/QUOTE]
My take is they get in trouble with their Manager and in turn their District Manager and not the publisher directly. I can see how the retailer would have an agreement with the publishers to not distribute the guide once it is reported pulled from the shelves, but the publishers would not have any direct knowledge of such a breach of policy at the store level. The relationship between the retailer and publisher would be at the corporate level and that would be why it comes from the DM's to enforce the policy.

These are the guides that recently dropped off the site, already checked and they are full price in store.

THESE ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY AND THEY DID NOT DROP

1537097 Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Collector's Edition
3074469 Disgaea 4
2422242 Driver San Francisco
2038195 Pokémon Black & White Versions Collector's Edition
9904441 Red Dead Redemption Signature Series Game Guide
1348598 Sid Meier's Civilization V

Again, THESE DID NOT DROP THEY ARE JUST NO LONGER ON THE WEBSITE. DID. NOT. DROP.

lulz, maybe cheapy needs to make the font that big for his warning on the video game deals section..thanks UG for keeping tabs on this!

3074469 Disgaea 4

So are these a penny, or did they just reduce the price?

:p

[quote name='ROB64']1537097 Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Collector's Edition
3074469 Disgaea 4
[/quote]

I knew the Brotherhood CE was recent! It's about time they took the Red Dead Redemption guide off the site. It's almost a year and a half old, plus the new GOTY guide isn't going to make the old one sell any better. Kinda surprised at Driver: San Francisco. It's pretty new, but whatever.

3074469 Disgaea 4
Note: This "potential" list is from Best Buy.

[quote name='Readthepost']I feel for you. My DM/managers/employees are cool. I asked if they had any DCUO CE and an employee said "no new ones....but you can have this". It was a recently opened PS3 DCUO CE....an employee just opened it to see the statue. Everything was inside (the code worked too), then they gave me a new PC DCUO and a regular PS3 DCUO. I was told that the DM knows of me (by the surverys and managers) and he told them to hook me up.

I know this should be in the bragging thread....my point is some DMs are the coolest people.

proof
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd480/Readthepost/IMAG0107.jpg [/QUOTE]
Damn. I've had to resort to waiting till I go outta town for work(very sporadic on that anymore) to even try for anything that's pennied. Even then it seems like the areas I used to really score at out of town have either been discovered by another deal hunter or nine or they've become really strict on pulling stuff.

Case in point, I used to hit the three main malls up in Syracuse(NY) area on a Tuesday night and every BB/GS store in the area up there would ALWAYS have something that had pennied on their shelves and they would never deny selling or handing over those items.:)

Last time I was up that way I got super lucky as the one newer GS had a ton of pennied guides on the shelves and in this big metal dump bin(but I missed a ton of them:bomb:) and they let me have at least a handful without an argument. The next time I went back they had cleaned everything up and nothing was there.:cry:

[quote name='neocisco']Ultragamer, what are you trying to say?[/QUOTE]

That there was a drop, Bestbuy will try and deny it. Just kindly explain that the guides should only be a penny, and if they still refuse to listen grab them all and walk out. Since they are only a penny it will be no real loss to the company and they deserve it for not believe you about them being a penny.

Use the fact that they are no longer listed on the site as a reference to your claims, it should clear things up and they might apologize for the confusion and even give you a $1000 giftcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back