Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep all comments and trade requests to the respective threads(speculation on possible drops in the discussion thread, trade requests in the respective master trade list forum threads).

Thanks.

Just wanna cut down on clutter and OT chatter in this thread, since neither helps to get anyone looking at the thread a deal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only good part about that stand was that they used to only price CE guides at $1.99 and I would buy up their stock to put up on Amazon and sell for 10x that without having to run all over creation looking for those CE guides.;):)[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Wait until he packs his table with guides he can't sell, then swing by and buy him out cheap. Really, he's saving you time and gas.

[quote name='osamabinsmoking']i got a feeling deep down inside my bone about today!! Keepin my fingers crossed!!![/QUOTE]

Nothing from Frosty or Lox, no penny guides on the site early this AM, no one has confirmed any drops from East Coast and stores have been open since 9. Seriously???

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Nothing from Frosty or Lox, no penny guides on the site early this AM, no one has confirmed any drops from East Coast and stores have been open since 9. Seriously???[/QUOTE]

My midochlorians are not making me feel like there is a drop today or in sight at all.

Three stores I been out got rid of their guide area completely, now shelving the guides with the games they go to. Major headache. One is putting all of the guides on the base of the shelves. OH and I have a great photo on my phone, but my hopes are down in BB b/c EVERY guide now has a 'Save 10%..' sticker on it, whether its right there on the cover, or on the plastic of shrink wrapped ones (that I can deal with)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Nothing from Frosty or Lox, no penny guides on the site early this AM, no one has confirmed any drops from East Coast and stores have been open since 9. Seriously???[/QUOTE]

Wait, they open at 9 now? I thought it was still 10 for Best Buy.

[quote name='Visc']Wait, they open at 9 now? I thought it was still 10 for Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends... I got screwed on an HP tablet when that whole fiasco took place because one BB decided that they'd open at 9 instead of 10. When I got there, a dude was walking to the register with the last Touchpad.

If they're putting the guides with the games they go to and putting a save 10% sticker on them that must mean they're trying to compete with GS (at GS you save 10% on the guide if you buy it with the game).

[quote name='token2k6']Three stores I been out got rid of their guide area completely, now shelving the guides with the games they go to. Major headache. One is putting all of the guides on the base of the shelves. OH and I have a great photo on my phone, but my hopes are down in BB b/c EVERY guide now has a 'Save 10%..' sticker on it, whether its right there on the cover, or on the plastic of shrink wrapped ones (that I can deal with)[/QUOTE]
I have had better luck at the stores that place guides with the games, only because it is easier for the "pullers" to miss some. Guides covering PC can also be found with the PC software even if they pulled the console copies.

YMMV as always, of course.

[quote name='token2k6']Three stores I been out got rid of their guide area completely, now shelving the guides with the games they go to. Major headache. One is putting all of the guides on the base of the shelves. OH and I have a great photo on my phone, but my hopes are down in BB b/c EVERY guide now has a 'Save 10%..' sticker on it, whether its right there on the cover, or on the plastic of shrink wrapped ones (that I can deal with)[/QUOTE]

I prefer it when they do it like this. As two BB's I've been two will pull guides from their guide shelf, but if it's out with the game, they generally leave them alone.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Please keep all comments and trade requests to the respective threads(speculation on possible drops in the discussion thread, trade requests in the respective master trade list forum threads).

Thanks.

Just wanna cut down on clutter and OT chatter in this thread, since neither helps to get anyone looking at the thread a deal.[/QUOTE]

Sorry... again.

There was a prepull at the BB store I went to yesterday. It doesn't necessarily mean there was a drop, but a lot of guides were gone from the rack. (I forgot to post, since I wanted to report the ICO shipment information I got from an employee).

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Sorry I quit. :D Feels so good to be free from the bonds of a retail slave, especially right before the holidays.[/QUOTE]

There's no need for an apology dude, you did everyone here a great service for a long time. If there was a CAG hall of fame, you'd be in it.

[quote name='Visc']There's no need for an apology dude, you did everyone here a great service for a long time. If there was a CAG hall of fame, you'd be in it.[/QUOTE]Agreed. Frosty's work was greatly appreciated while it was available.

[quote name='slowdive21']There was a prepull at the BB store I went to yesterday. It doesn't necessarily mean there was a drop, but a lot of guides were gone from the rack. (I forgot to post, since I wanted to report the ICO shipment information I got from an employee).[/QUOTE]

Did you notice what guides were missing?

Edit: Borderlands (GOTY Edition) Guide isn't on the site. Dunno if it just dropped off, but I'm checking on all the guides I remember seeing Saturday to see if they're on the website.

So far I'm not seeing (3:21 Update)

Borderlands (GOTY Edition)
F.E.A.R 3
DC Universe Online
Epic Mickey (Standard Edition)

Anyone with a Best Buy close to them feel like swinging by and scanning any of these?

[quote name='tumbenhaur']Just got a newsletter, goHastings.com is having another sale on USED books including strategy guides.
Anything from the below link should be 2 for $10 with FREE shipping, after using coupon code: CRANNY
http://www.gohastings.com/browse/BO...4294938979+4294965981/departmentName/BOOK.uts

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you for posting this!

I clicked on the link and immediately saw the guide for Okami. Regretfully it was out of stock before I could add it. But I was able to pick up two guides that I'm excited to get my hands on.

How do you guys 'check' which guides have dropped? I keep seeing people asking other to check.. but HOW? It would be rather suspicious and weird to just go to the register with a stack of guides, have them scan them all and then return them. Especially if a few are .01 and you try to take them

[quote name='tumbenhaur']Just got a newsletter, goHastings.com is having another sale on USED books including strategy guides.
Anything from the below link should be 2 for $10 with FREE shipping, after using coupon code: CRANNY
http://www.gohastings.com/browse/BO...4294938979+4294965981/departmentName/BOOK.uts

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

what quality are their used guides? There have been a lot of compaints with Gohastings before on this site and their stuff has been hit or miss, with people even getting wrong games and stuff sometimes. Still, dont think ive heard anything about their guides

[quote name='Kenshindono']How do you guys 'check' which guides have dropped? I keep seeing people asking other to check.. but HOW? It would be rather suspicious and weird to just go to the register with a stack of guides, have them scan them all and then return them. Especially if a few are .01 and you try to take them

what quality are their used guides? There have been a lot of compaints with Gohastings before on this site and their stuff has been hit or miss, with people even getting wrong games and stuff sometimes. Still, dont think ive heard anything about their guides[/QUOTE]

Got 2 guides from them in excellent condition, Alpha Protocol & Assassins Creed 2.

[quote name='Kenshindono']How do you guys 'check' which guides have dropped? I keep seeing people asking other to check.. but HOW? It would be rather suspicious and weird to just go to the register with a stack of guides, have them scan them all and then return them. Especially if a few are .01 and you try to take them[/quote]

"Hey, I heard these are on clearance. Can I get a price check?" Seems to work for me, but then again everyone there loves me.

[quote name='Kenshindono']How do you guys 'check' which guides have dropped? I keep seeing people asking other to check.. but HOW? It would be rather suspicious and weird to just go to the register with a stack of guides, have them scan them all and then return them. Especially if a few are .01 and you try to take them

what quality are their used guides? There have been a lot of compaints with Gohastings before on this site and their stuff has been hit or miss, with people even getting wrong games and stuff sometimes. Still, dont think ive heard anything about their guides[/QUOTE]
I've purchased quite a few lately and while they may not be in quite as good condition as we get when pennied, they have been in pretty good shape. The worst of them could have been damaged by my postal carrier cramming it into my mailbox.

All in all, well worth it as it only cost me about what it would have to ship a guide in a trade anyway.

[quote name='Lightning War']"Hey, I heard these are on clearance. Can I get a price check?" Seems to work for me, but then again everyone there loves me.[/QUOTE]

I say the same thing and the guy I've done my trade-ins/preorders with doesn't care.

[quote name='Lightning War']Any requests on guides to check if I go?[/QUOTE]

Homefront (standard and CE) LA Noire, DCU: Online, and Medal of Honor. If you can't check them don't worry, I'll do it tomorrow.

[quote name='Cysquatch']Homefront (standard and CE) LA Noire, DCU: Online, and Medal of Honor. If you can't check them don't worry, I'll do it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I'll see what I can do. DCU Online isn't on the website anymore but all the others are, if it means anything.

[quote name='Lightning War']Any requests on guides to check if I go?[/QUOTE]
CE of Assassins creed brotherhood, mortal kombat, fallout new vegas and dragon age 2 (I saw a store near me that still has some of the da2 CEs)

[quote name='whisper22']CE of Assassins creed brotherhood, mortal kombat, fallout new vegas and dragon age 2 (I saw a store near me that still has some of the da2 CEs)[/QUOTE]

I'll add them to the list. They're also all on the website.

[quote name='Lightning War']I'll see what I can do. DCU Online isn't on the website anymore but all the others are, if it means anything.[/QUOTE]

Could you also please check the game version of DCU online? the stores have it in stock by me apparently.

ha! I saw a DCUO in store today for $49.99 or something. I really doubt BB pennies it..has there every been a penny console game? I know it happens with PC from time-to-time..

[quote name='token2k6']ha! I saw a DCUO in store today for $49.99 or something. I really doubt BB pennies it..has there every been a penny console game? I know it happens with PC from time-to-time..[/QUOTE]

Yeah - CrimeCraft did and so did Strong Bad blah blah blah. I think there were a couple of others, maybe - but those are the 2 that I know for sure.

[quote name='token2k6']ha! I saw a DCUO in store today for $49.99 or something. I really doubt BB pennies it..has there every been a penny console game? I know it happens with PC from time-to-time..[/QUOTE]

You were in store today? Any info on a potential drop? I'm going to be leaving soon to check things out.

And if it pennied at Gamestop, there's a chance.

[quote name='Lightning War']You were in store today? Any info on a potential drop? I'm going to be leaving soon to check things out.

And if it pennied at Gamestop, there's a chance.[/QUOTE]

oh, no I didn't try to have any scanned. had my hands full with empty game case sets for .99 cents :D IDK, maybe I should have, but I figured there would have been 'signs' if there was a drop (penny stickers on title cards, a cart full of them..)

and yeah, don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if it pennied there, I would go on a 15 store run just to get one copy if I had to!

[quote name='token2k6']oh, no I didn't try to have any scanned. had my hands full with empty game case sets for .99 cents :D IDK, maybe I should have, but I figured there would have been 'signs' if there was a drop (penny stickers on title cards, a cart full of them..)

and yeah, don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if it pennied there, I would go on a 15 store run just to get one copy if I had to![/QUOTE]

I completely forgot about that game case sale. I'll have to check if my store has any when I get there. They keep them by accessories right? It's no big deal you didn't. I never see any signs personally. Even if stuff is pulled I tend to see it get put back on the shelves later, which is nice because my store is cool about letting me buy them.

[quote name='token2k6']oh, no I didn't try to have any scanned. had my hands full with empty game case sets for .99 cents :D
[/QUOTE]

Need more info on this how many do you get for 99 cents? Are they new or used?

Got your PM Lightning War

Guides that were definitely 'missing':

DC Universe
SWTFUII
Borderlands
FF or KH PSP game
Homefront
KZ3
Red Dead
Starcraft II
Green Sims hardcovers
Epic Mickey
3rd Birthday (might have already dropped I can't remember)
Whatever Halo guide that hadn't pennied yet.

That's all I can remember. I didn't see these guides at the store anymore and there was a space where they used to be. I'm not suggesting there was a drop, I just noticed there were a lot of gaps.

[quote name='slowdive21']Need more info on this how many do you get for 99 cents? Are they new or used?

Got your PM Lightning War

Guides that were definitely 'missing':

DC Universe
SWTFUII
Borderlands
FF or KH PSP game
Homefront
KZ3
Red Dead
Starcraft II
Green Sims hardcovers
Epic Mickey
3rd Birthday (might have already dropped I can't remember)
Whatever Halo guide that hadn't pennied yet.
[/QUOTE]

Shit that's a lot.. I'm about to leave, I'll be checking and updating back ASAP.

2 Questions: Was the Borderlands the hardcover GOTY Edition, and was the Halo Halo: Reach?

And to answer the above question, they have a sale on replacement cases. It's either 3 or 4 for .99 cents.

[quote name='Lightning War']Shit that's a lot.. I'm about to leave, I'll be checking and updating back ASAP.

2 Questions: Was the Borderlands the hardcover GOTY Edition, and was the Halo Halo: Reach?

And to answer the above question, they have a sale on replacement cases. It's either 3 or 4 for .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

borderlands hardcover was missing. I don't remember what halo it was. There were just no more halo guides anymore (instead of 30 of them).

[quote name='token2k6']oh, no I didn't try to have any scanned. had my hands full with empty game case sets for .99 cents :D IDK, maybe I should have, but I figured there would have been 'signs' if there was a drop (penny stickers on title cards, a cart full of them..)

and yeah, don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if it pennied there, I would go on a 15 store run just to get one copy if I had to![/QUOTE]

Empty game case sets? You mean those Rocketfish branded sets at BB? That's not a bad deal for replacement cases. That is, unless ya grabbed all dem shitz from HWV when they closed.;)

Scanned many guides. No drop. Full list when I get home.

Edit: Home.

Scanned:

DC Universe Online
Borderlands GOTY
Homefront
Homefront Collectors Edition
Killzone 3
Starcraft II
Sims 3 Collectors Edition
Epic Mickey
3rd Birthday
Halo: Reach
Dragon Age 2: Collectors Edition

I think that's it. If you asked me to scan something and I didn't it wasn't in stock at my store. With all those guides being pulled from your store though there must be a drop coming soon..

[quote name='Lightning War']Not a problem. When did guide drops always used to be? Either 1st/2nd Monday or 1st/2nd Tuesday. Seems more random now at any rate.[/QUOTE]

It used to consistently happen on the first Monday, then they shifted it to the third Monday. After that there was a few times guides dropped on the fourth Monday - then last month guides dropped on the second Monday. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to when they will happen anymore. History has shown that October usually yields a drop, though.

[quote name='Lightning War']I completely forgot about that game case sale. I'll have to check if my store has any when I get there. They keep them by accessories right? It's no big deal you didn't. I never see any signs personally. Even if stuff is pulled I tend to see it get put back on the shelves later, which is nice because my store is cool about letting me buy them.[/QUOTE]

I was in there today, what do you guys mean by empty game cases? Do they sell xbox cases or soemthing? USed or new?

History has shown that there will always be an epic October guide drop that I am at a convention or away with a lady or a mix of both for.

My prediction is that it will be October 17th, as it will be right on the heels of New York ComicCon and I will probably forget to check this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back