Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2005     Half-Life Platinum Pack

Feb 22, 2006     Counter-Strike 1 Anthology

May 30, 2007     ATI Half-Life 2: Deathmatch / Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Promo

Nov 17, 2007     Prey Retail

Nov 23, 2007     The Orange Box Retail

Dec 28, 2007     Sin Episode 1

Feb 19, 2008     Audiosurf

I bought this huge binder with game CDs at the flea market I buy games and movies at. I heard I needed to install Steam to get the latest patches for Half-Life, so I signed up and registered this key. Then I bought Counter-Strike Anthology at the other flea market I buy stuff at.

Prey also came from that flea market... and I bought the last Orange Box at the Best Buy in El Centro, CA, right after I'd finished my thanksgiving shift at the local Toys'R'US that I worked at at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeasonalCAG Question of the Day:

What was your first activated/bought game on Steam? Check here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/ (hit that "END" key if you have alot of games like most CAGs will)

GHyDcqB.jpg

I purchased this from Circuit City when they had a huge PC sale and CAGs were posting what was in each store or making huge list of all available games and even buying games for other CAGs and shipping it to them at cost. Those were the days if that happened today people would charge double in the cesspool (I'm looking at you Forza) or flipping or selling on Ebay for profit.
Here's mine.

Mar 27, 2005 Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors
Nov 23, 2007 The Orange Box Retail

Aug 24, 2008 Audiosurf
Dec 02, 2008 Left 4 Dead Retail

isnt all of Mexico a flea market?
Sure, if you like pirated console games.

I look for legit stuff at two flea markets in Calexico, California, and a weekly flea market that sets up near my house every Wednesday morning. The Wednesday one doesn't always have good things, but I've scored some unusual movies there for less than a dollar each. I just bought a legit copy of Windows 7 for three bucks, too. :)

SeasonalCAG Question of the Day:

What was your first activated/bought game on Steam? Check here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/ (hit that "END" key if you have alot of games like most CAGs will)

GHyDcqB.jpg

I purchased this from Circuit City when they had a huge PC sale and CAGs were posting what was in each store or making huge list of all available games and even buying games for other CAGs and shipping it to them at cost. Those were the days if that happened today people would charge double in the cesspool (I'm looking at you Forza) or flipping or selling on Ebay for profit.
May 17th, 2005 - purchased + activated HL2 Collector's Ed from GameStop @ retail on sale.

It was $30, when I bought it.

Yup, w/ the big box w/ the HL2 T-Shirt inside and extra HL Source.

Good times. :)

BG+E was the FIRST game that I bought directly through Steam itself. All others before it, bought from retail + activated the key up onto Steam.

My first few Steam purchases/activations look like THIS:

Aug 23, 2008 Beyond Good and Evil Steam Store

Jan 20, 2008 The Ship Retail Complimentary

Nov 30, 2007 The Orange Box Retail Complimentary

Jan 3, 2007 Dark Messiah Might and Magic Limited Retail Complimentary

Jul 2, 2006 SiN Episodes Emergence Complimentary

Jun 11, 2006 Half-Life 2: Episode One Complimentary

Jun 7, 2005 Half-Life Platinum Pack Complimentary

May 17, 2005 Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors Complimentary

EDIT:

And I remember when CC (Circuit City) had all kinds of sales; used to buy regularly from there. Their clearance stuff was killer. I would always come away w/ some good deals and stuff from there.

When they were going out of business, I picked-up TONS of games @ killer prices right when they were closing. I was getting all kinds of new games for like $5, $1, $2.50, and whatnot - INSANE.

EDIT 2:

Add me to the list of Sin buyers disappointed they never finished it. I think I was working at a gamestop at the time and I probably didn't actually pay for it.

May 12, 2006 SiN Episodes Emergence
I liked SiN Episode 1 - it was good, but not great. Still wishing that damn Episodic series got finished.

EDIT 3:

Ubisoft apparently revamped their store. No good deals, even with:

Welcome on the new Uplay Shop! Get 20% off on your purchase by entering the code NEW20
Ewwwwwwwwww @ such weak deals.

EDIT 4:

Nov 2, 2005 Half-Life Platinum Pack

Feb 22, 2006 Counter-Strike 1 Anthology

May 30, 2007 ATI Half-Life 2: Deathmatch / Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Promo

Nov 17, 2007 Prey Retail

Nov 23, 2007 The Orange Box Retail

Dec 28, 2007 Sin Episode 1

Feb 19, 2008 Audiosurf

I bought this huge binder with game CDs at the flea market I buy games and movies at. I heard I needed to install Steam to get the latest patches for Half-Life, so I signed up and registered this key. Then I bought Counter-Strike Anthology at the other flea market I buy stuff at.

Prey also came from that flea market... and I bought the last Orange Box at the Best Buy in El Centro, CA, right after I'd finished my thanksgiving shift at the local Toys'R'US that I worked at at the time.
Oooh, Prey was awesome - underrated FPS. I actually have the Prey CE in the tin case w/ the small figurine, mini-artbook, and all - it was $20 at CC's online store; had to get it - got it shipped here and all. I was quite happy once they allowed that game's retail box to be activated onto Steam. :)

I still wish Human Head's version of Prey 2 got finished; that version of the game looked awesome.

And that's fair, there's a lot of classic media like that. But if you weren't there for it when it was new, it's hard to appreciate it after the fact.
Oddly, found HL held up better then the sequel. Though I've never finished either (HL2 I got bored of, HL1 I'm dumb and couldn't figure out how to get to the end level).

Something more interesting, what is the oldest game in your library you haven't played?  

Mine are:

Judge Dredd

Ziro

Greed: Black Border

December 31, 2010

All bought directly on Steam, last day of the Winter Sale 2010, but not surprisingly, bundles had just became a thing earlier that year with the Humble Indie Bundle 1 and 2.  That was the beginning of the end for me.  Prior to that I at least played every game I bought on Steam.  

Something more interesting, what is the oldest game in your library you haven't played?

Mine are:

Judge Dredd

Ziro

December 31, 2010

All bought directly on Steam, last day of the Winter Sale 2010, but not surprisingly, bundles had just became a thing earlier that year with the Humble Indie Bundle 1 and 2. That was the beginning of the end for me. Prior to that I at least played every game I bought on Steam.
My oldest untouched game on Steam:

Jun 6, 2009 Penumbra Collectors Pack Steam Store

NEVER downloaded, installed, or anything.

first game ever bought on steam store:

July 15, 2013 The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

*sigh*

Never played.

Aww, my first purchases on Steam store are the cutest thing ever.

July 15 - July 25

Left 4 Dead 2

Holiday Sale 2011 Gift: Half-Life 1

Killing Floor

Garry's Mod

Counter-Strike Complete - Aug 2012

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold

Aaaaaaa! Awesome

Dear Esther

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete

Trine Collection

This is like looking through old baby photos.

Technically...

Half Life 1 :D

I played it when it first came out but got the platinum pack for the expansions to "catch up on the story" and to "quell my hype" until HL2 came out.

EDIT: I guess that wouldn't count since I did play it, just not through steam...

The next thing that I never touched was

Jan 12, 2008 NVIDIA Portal: The First Slice

If that counts as a game, if not...

Jul 14, 2012 The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

I didn't play it, but I did mess with that for a little bit.

Dec 2, 2012 Saints Row: The Third Retail

I never installed that, but it was from a bundle I think.

If we're talking games I paid for via steam and never played or messed with

Jul 19, 2013 Fallout New Vegas Ultimate

OMG @ some on here not playing much or any of Witcher EE.

The W1 combat is WAY different and not for everyone - i.e. it's timing-based + heavily based around KB-mouse - so that's understandable, if you aren't fond of the combat. I liked it - but, it certainly isn't as good as W2; and certainly W3 is even better than W2 combat-wise + control-wise.

Though, a lot of the important decision-making stuff + whatnot the Witcher series is known for - that really began here. It was one of the earliest games that I can recall where you make a tough decision - and normally, you won't see the results for a few hours. In other games with most of their quests - yeah, especially in side-quests - you see results right away; and if you didn't like it, you could just reload your last save from a few minutes ago before you made the decision.

With Witcher 1 - well, by the time you realized your decision's end-results might have sucked or been horrible - well, it's too late; you'll likely stick w/ it b/c you might not want to go backwards a few hours.

Seriously, the story in that is great + complete in Witcher 1, unlike Witcher 2. While W2 is the better game for the combat and all - namely since the last 1/3rd of W2's story felt rushed + felt like a major set-up for W3 - y'all should play W1 for the story; the story in W1 is fantastic.

EDIT:

If we're talking games I paid for via steam and never played or messed with

Jul 19, 2013 Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Ummm...you should really change that. FO: NV is great. If you dug FO3's framework for combat + exploration, FO:NV expands on that completely - and has much better narrative, story, dialogue, and action amounts of choices/decisions/role-playing.

Oh, and install the quickloot mod for FO:NV. If you've played FO4, you probably know the quick-loot scheme + like it - you don't have to bring up the Inventory to pause the game and can stay in real-time + right in the action still to just quickly pick-up loot.

EDIT:

Ummm...you should really change that. FO: NV is great. If you dug FO3's framework for combat + exploration, FO:NV expands on that completely - and has much better narrative, story, dialogue, and action amounts of choices/decisions/role-playing.

Oh, and install the quickloot mod for FO:NV. If you've played FO4, you probably know the quick-loot scheme + like it - you don't have to bring up the Inventory to pause the game and can stay in real-time + right in the action still to just quickly pick-up loot.
Nah, I'm good.

I don't really like the new Fallouts.

EDIT:

And I just never got around to Witcher EE. I messed around for an hour or so and liked it, but it didn't run well on my system so I put it off. I have it installed because I want to play it, but there are so many things to play.

May 3, 2013 XCOM: Enemy Unknown WorldWide Retail

I really need to play this one of these days years
XCOM: EU is great - but my God, I really sucked at this game. Probably last time I played it was when it was a Free Weekend, actually - before I purchased EW. Ever since I bought EW, I think it's still untouched. LOL.

Last played date = 10/18/2014.

22 feb. 2011 Half-Life 2: Episode Two
20 feb. 2011 Lara Croft GOL
20 feb. 2011 Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
17 feb. 2011 Supreme Commander 2
15 feb. 2011 Just Cause 2
14 feb. 2011 Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
13 mayo 2010 Portal - Complimentary (Mac)

Mine are:

Judge Dredd

Ziro

December 31, 2010

All bought directly on Steam, last day of the Winter Sale 2010, but not surprisingly, bundles had just became a thing earlier that year with the Humble Indie Bundle 1 and 2. That was the beginning of the end for me. Prior to that I at least played every game I bought on Steam.
Wait. What? We're supposed to PLAY these games? Why didn't you tell me 5 years ago? The money I could have saved...

Nah, I'm good.

I don't really like the new Fallouts.

EDIT:

And I just never got around to Witcher EE. I messed around for an hour or so and liked it, but it didn't run well on my system so I put it off. I have it installed because I want to play it, but there are so many things to play.
FO1+2 are classic RPG's for sure. Both of those are great turn-based + decision-laced RPG's.

Did you play FO3+4? I could understand fans of FO1+2 not being fans of FO3+4 b/c Bethesda-style open-world game (Bethesda-style games just don't appeal to some) - but FO:NV is the one I think that mixes some of the things FO3+4 was really missing (dark humor FO1+2 was known for; way more choices; and better narrative & dialogue) with FO3's framework. Some might tolerate FO3's framework just to get to the great stuff Obsidian's known for (storytelling + narrative).

About Witcher EE - ran decent enough on my system, back in the day. Really loved the story + narrative there. Damn shame that as great as W2 was going in that regard, it fell apart in the last chapter - "meh." Still...W2's great even despite that misstep, regardless.

EDIT:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Cernobyl Jan 3, 2010
Great atmospheric open-world shooter. VERY highly recommended.

FO1+2 are classic RPG's for sure. Both of those are great turn-based + decision-laced RPG's.

Did you play FO3+4? I could understand fans of FO1+2 not being fans of FO3+4 b/c Bethesda-style open-world game (Bethesda-style games just don't appeal to some) - but FO:NV is the one I think that mixes some of the things FO3+4 was really missing (dark humor FO1+2 was known for; way more choices; and better narrative & dialogue) with FO3's framework. Some might tolerate FO3's framework just to get to the great stuff Obsidian's known for (storytelling + narrative).

About Witcher EE - ran decent enough on my system, back in the day. Really loved the story + narrative there. Damn shame that as great as W2 was going in that regard, it fell apart in the last chapter - "meh." Still...W2's great even despite that misstep, regardless.
Yeah, I played and loved the first one and could tolerate the second.

I tried 3 and didn't like the way it played. NV being done by Obsidian (I had previously played NWN2 and Dungeon Siege III and didn't really like them that much) didn't help when it came to deciding if I wanted to mess with NV.

Oct 16, 2011 Football Manager 2012 (preorder)

...although i'm pretty sure I sold off the TF2 items for whatever I spent on it.

Ubisoft apparently revamped their store. No good deals, even with:

Welcome on the new Uplay Shop! Get 20% off on your purchase by entering the code [background=#203348]NEW20[/size][/background]
fuck yes, time for [REDACTED]!!!

In other news, I survived another Microcenter trip without purchasing a new video card. Thank god I have zero interest in Gears of War, otherwise I probably would have 1070'd. Did grab a couple SSDs and another HD to replace my bunk one from a couple weeks ago. Now I just have to hire the Geek Squad to finish up my cable management and i'll post pics in the build thread.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

Purchased January 1, 2011

Bought that in a bundle w/ Shadow of Chernobyl for $5. I absolutely loved SoC but just never came around to playing CoP.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

Purchased January 1, 2011

Bought that in a bundle w/ Shadow of Chernobyl for $5. I absolutely loved SoC but just never came around to playing CoP.
It took me years as well to get around to CoP after SoC but CoP is worth it. Probably about 90% as good as SoC -- biggest issue with me was that you never got to explore Pripyat like in SoC.

Yeah, I played and loved the first one and could tolerate the second.

I tried 3 and didn't like the way it played. NV being done by Obsidian (I had previously played NWN2 and Dungeon Siege III and didn't really like them that much) didn't help when it came to deciding if I wanted to mess with NV.
About Obsidian, there were some ex-Black Isle guys there (from the old Fallout games). Chris Avellone worked on FO2 + Josh E. Sawyer (the lead designer/project director on FO:NV) worked on the cancelled FO: Van Buren (he was also the lead designer on Van Buren). Some stuff from Van Buren actually wound up in NV (i.e. the NCR and Caesar's Legion).

If you didn't dig FO2's humor + style - yeah, not sure how you'll like FO:NV. And if you don't like Fallout 3's foundation - yeah, again, not sure how you'll like FO:NV since NV expands quite a bit on FO3's mechanics + framework. You'd have to give it a shot, to find out the hard way - if you even wanted to. [shrug]

About DS3: well, I liked it namely b/c of the typical Obsidian stuff was well-done - i.e. story, character + narrative stuff. Certainly, it's the best in the DS series on that type of stuff - but gameplay-wise, GPG's DS1+2 are vastly superior games by a mile. I'd certainly take DS1+2 over DS3 any day; no hesitation. It terms of gameplay, DS1+2 eat DS3 for breakfast.

I liked NWN2's base-game campaign much better than NWN1's base-game campaign. NWN1's base-game campaign was more on-and-off than a light switch; meh - one of BioWare's worst. It took NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark to finally actually get BioWare to come up with a great campaign out of NWN1. NWN2 was a technical mess back when it came out (seems typical of Obsidian, doesn't it?); and it really did take Mask of the Betrayer - great expansion, BTW - to fix both the technical performance issues (on NWN2) & Mask actually had a MUCH better + a way more personal campaign than NWN2 base-game.

EDIT:

It took me years as well to get around to CoP after SoC but CoP is worth it. Probably about 90% as good as SoC -- biggest issue with me was that you never got to explore Pripyat like in SoC.
CoP felt way more polished to me than SoC. Both are great, IMHO. SoC was the amazing groundwork + fresh introduction into the SoC style (there was nothing like SoC at its time); while CoP felt like it perfected + polished SoC's formula.

Clear Sky felt half-baked, with its experimental Faction Wars idea & rehashing+remixing a lot of areas from SoC.

Oldest bought and not played is HL2 Ep 1 and 2, technically got them as part of the Orange Box but still never played them since never finished HL2. TF2 would be tied on that too, but I think I played about 5 minutes of it to trade items with someone (back when you had to do it in game). 

About Obsidian, there were some ex-Black Isle guys there (from the old Fallout games). Chris Avellone worked on FO2 + Josh E. Sawyer (the lead designer/project director on FO:NV) worked on the cancelled FO: Van Buren (he was also the lead designer on Van Buren). Some stuff from Van Buren actually wound up in NV (i.e. the NCR and Caesar's Legion).

If you didn't dig FO2's humor + style - yeah, not sure how you'll like FO:NV. And if you don't like Fallout 3's foundation - yeah, again, not sure how you'll like FO:NV since NV expands quite a bit on FO3's mechanics + framework. You'd have to give it a shot, to find out the hard way - if you even wanted to. [shrug]
He said he didn't like the way he played, some I'm guessing he means gameplay...if you don't like fo3's gameplay you won't like new vegas. NV adds a few new mechanics but it's essentially fo3 with better writing and role playing and (imho) a worse atmosphere.

Did I mention I bought BS2 in 2011 and haven't played it yet?
I dunno why you ain't touched Bio2, if you liked Bio1. Bio2 is basically more (rehashed) BS1 - but with better combat.

Yeah, I'll take Bio2's combat over both Bio1 + Bs:I's any day. Bio2 combat's just way smoother, more fluid, and easier to make combos with - since you have separate keys for Weapons + Plasmids/Magic, which kills the clunkiness. Some of the best stuff combat-wise Bs:I had going on was the Skyhook melee weapon and getting into combat while riding along the Skylines - but it felt more akin to what Bio1 was doing w/ combat in the controls department.

Of course, Bio2 base-game's story, narrative, and character stuff just ain't either Bio1 and Bs:I's level - not even close.

With Bio2 - you still currently might be better off w/ the old Non-Remastered Edition right now (over the Remaster), TBH. Steam Boards look + sound a mess still for the Bio1+2 HD Remasters, even after the latest Patches, unfortunately...

Hm, I think the earliest game I own (if this even counts) that I never played and even download.

Jun 3, 2011

Duke Nukem Forever Demo Access

Half-Life 2 is overrated.    I played it right when it brand new.   Much of the game felt tedious or boring and also had poor art direction.  Never understood all the fuss with that game. 

Playing the original Farcry on PC was like a revelation in comparison.  Now that was a fantastic game for its time. 

I also remember Riddick: The escape from Butcher Bay being far more interesting.

I dunno why you ain't touched Bio2, if you liked Bio1. Bio2 is basically more (rehashed) BS1 - but with better combat.

Yeah, I'll take Bio2's combat over both Bio1 + Bs:I's any day. Bio2 combat's just way smoother, more fluid, and easier to make combos with - since you have separate keys for Weapons + Plasmids/Magic, which kills the clunkiness. Some of the best stuff combat-wise Bs:I had going on was the Skyhook melee weapon and getting into combat while riding along the Skylines - but it felt more akin to what Bio1 was doing w/ combat in the controls department.

Of course, Bio2 base-game's story, narrative, and character stuff just ain't either Bio1 and Bs:I's level - not even close.

With Bio2 - you still currently might be better off w/ the old Non-Remastered Edition right now (over the Remaster), TBH. Steam Boards look + sound a mess still for the Bio1+2 HD Remasters, even after the latest Patches, unfortunately...
Yeah, Bioshock 2 has better combat, and more combat options. But the first game told a better story and it was a better gaming experience. Bioshock 2 felt like an epilogue that never ends. It felt like more of the same, and with longer levels. You also feel weak, considering you are the first big daddy. The drill didn't feel right. But the full combat arsenal was very good.

The Bioshocks are great games that you just don't want to go back and play again for a very long time. It's odd how one playthrough is enough. That must be testament to the backtracking in the levels, getting stuck or lost, and the gross nature of the splicers and the decor.

Mine are 

Dec 24, 2009 AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!! + The Wonderful End of the World

Dec 24, 2009 Time Gentlemen, Please!

Dec 24, 2009 Osmos

Also has my earliest un played game Time Gentlemen, Please!. Osmos was pretty garbage though. Not really sure why I bought that.

I've never played Far Cry 1, but I did play HL2 (and the first time I played was in 2012, I think). I think the game is a bit overblown but it's still good, I enjoyed it. 

I feel like I am in bizarro world. I've never seen so much indifference -- or hostility -- towards Half Life 2. Maybe it was a product of its time in some ways, and not even the most hardcore fan can excuse the overly-long boat sequence, but it's such a solid shooter. The firefights, set pieces, enemy AI, and even the music all set this game far apart from anything else that came before it. I'd say better first-person stories have been told since then, but so much about HL2 just feels right.

There's a reason it has a 96 score on Metacritic. It's a very well-executed game. I'd think even those that aren't fans for whatever reason could at least appreciate it for what it is.

I feel like I am in bizarro world. I've never seen so much indifference -- or hostility -- towards Half Life 2. Maybe it was a product of its time in some ways, and not even the most hardcore fan can excuse the overly-long boat sequence, but it's such a solid shooter. The firefights, set pieces, enemy AI, and even the music all set this game far apart from anything else that came before it. I'd say better first-person stories have been told since then, but so much about HL2 just feels right.

There's a reason it has a 96 score on Metacritic. It's a very well-executed game. I'd think even those that aren't fans for whatever reason could at least appreciate it for what it is.
Meh, I don't know. I think HL2 is a really good game (even great)...but I don't understand the unyielding worship of it. I think, for example, Max Payne was more fun and was released like 3 years before it. I just don't see it as rivaling all time great/revolutionary games, like Ocarina of Time/Mario 64, Doom, even the original Half Life, which is a class I think people tend to put it in.

I made my first purchase in 2010...now I have 5300 games.

Purchased: Nov 25, 2010 @ 11:15pm
Defense Grid: The Awakening - 10-Pack

y u guize so slo

Any place to get cheap Riddick 1 and 2 steam keys? Also looking for Diablo 1 and Sims 1 if they made keys for those for any client?

Meh, I don't know. I think HL2 is a really good game (even great)...but I don't understand the unyielding worship of it. I think, for example, Max Payne was more fun and was released like 3 years before it. I just don't see it as rivaling all time great/revolutionary games, like Ocarina of Time/Mario 64, Doom, even the original Half Life, which is a class I think people tend to put it in.
for me, at the time, HL2 set the bar for storytelling/narrative/presentation in an fps. at the time fps were mostly multiplayer driven (UT, Quake, etc.) but to have a single player first person experience like that at the time was unique. it's been said to death, but the Ravenholm level is a masterclass in level design. these days you have 2deep4u walking simulators like Gone Home or The Beginner's Guide, but HL2 blazed the trail for those games. or maybe i'm just crazy, who the fuck knows???

bread's done
Back