Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
Perhaps Mr. Dee can answer this or maybe not but whatever I'm asking anyway because I's too lazy to googly it:

Is there any known disadvantage the steam version of Fallout 3 Goty has to the GoG version? Bugs/performance/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Mr. Dee can answer this or maybe not but whatever I'm asking anyway because I's too lazy to googly it:

Is there any known disadvantage the steam version of Fallout 3 Goty has to the GoG version? Bugs/performance/etc.
I don't have FO3 on GOG, but do have FO3 on Steam.

Fallout 3 GOTY Steam still has G4WL officially intact w/ it. This means you still might have to deal w/ G4WL and its non-sense issues - i.e. the boot black screen issue if G4WL ain't up-to-date; issues possible w/ G4WL saves corrupting possible; and other G4WL non-sense.

You can work around G4WL, though - since there are mods out there that disable G4WL, if you want to go that route. Go check Steam on that stuff, such as look over here - https://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/

GOG version doesn't have G4WL period officially, right out the gate. Currently, that's probably the best thing GOG version has going for it. Plus, it has No DRM there, being on GOG and all.

I also should note this though - something is up w/ FO3 Steam & FO:NV Steam. We don't know what it is yet, but new stuff was added to Depot for the Steam DB for FO3 Steam + FO:NV Steam. Whatever these updates are, which are unnamed, has not been rolled out yet to Steam users, BTW.

It would be nice if the FO3 update removes G4WL (like GOG did) and also goes full Steamworks - but, we don't know if that's the case yet. Would be nice if FO3+NV get texture updates and/or Remasters - but, we don't know yet. Let's hope the update doesn't add Creation Club crap - who knows. Only time will tell, what's up w/ those updates for the Steam version of FO3+NV...

hitman-logo.png

Amazon how about price glitch?

So -there's new Gog connect games. If anyone likes the DRM free stuff. Of course, GOG thinks my Steam profile is private...
Here's the list of games:

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Banished
Banner Saga
FTL: Advanced Edition
Grim Dawn
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Jotun: Valhalla Edition
Kingdom: New Lands
Legend of Grimrock
Prison Architect
Psychonauts
Starpoint Gemini 2
Tempest

They'll be up for 14 days.
Ugh, but that would require me to actually redeem all these Humble codes.

Some Team Sonic Racing gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMT3_32oRLY

Maybe this is just at an easier difficulty which would explain the drastic difference in speed between this and ASRT. And maybe there's a slider to turn off the insufferable banter. But this video does not inspire hope.

Oh, and as the name would imply, the focus appears to be on team racing (four teams of three per race). So whether or not you win a race will depend largely on how well your teammates perform. Lousy AI racers holding you back? Playing with humans that are garbage? Sorry, SOL.

So - The Division is 80% off on Steam ($9.99), as is the Gold version ($17.99).  Seems like a decent price, and nice to have on Steam vs.  U-Play. Also looks like it's the same price on U-Play now too.  I know some folks have played a lot of this:  Is this worth getting for single player only?  Would one want to get the Gold version to get the SP or is base game fine without?

Why is everyone going crazy over this Whispering Willows game on chrono?  Terrible reviews, and looks pretty bad too, but is selling out quickly.

So - The Division is 80% off on Steam ($9.99), as is the Gold version ($17.99). Seems like a decent price, and nice to have on Steam vs. U-Play. Also looks like it's the same price on U-Play now too. I know some folks have played a lot of this: Is this worth getting for single player only? Would one want to get the Gold version to get the SP or is base game fine without?
Its a great game single player, multiplayer can be good but is flawed and annoying at times. If I remember right the gold just adds all the dlc packs, which is mainly multiplayer modes, the underground can be single player but mostly mp group missions. It also gets you the survival mode where you have to kill, craft, and collect items to get back to base before you die (pve or pvp). At that price I'd just get the gold version as I think thats the cheapest I've seen it. I've got about 100 hours in the game of mostly single player time over two characters.

I have a bunch of hours in The Division as well.  I did the entire story single player, twice in fact because I think I grouped sometimes my first time through and wanted to experience it all "in order", as it were.  It's an entertaining shooter and the game world is well realized with lots of neat little touches and does a good job of portraying an abandoned city.  Once you conclude the main story, you're high enough level that things shift from just grabbing the best gun you have and shootin' dudes to something more stat oriented and basically building your own class by wearing gear to supplement you acting as a sniper or assault or medic or tech device guy, etc.  That requires a tolerance for grinding and an interest in playing with the numbers (or at least following a guide telling you how to build an XYZ) and is where I saw people burn out.  Still, the experience of the game world for the first 30 levels is well worth the $10 in my experience.  If you're like me, you'll also find fun in experimenting with different builds later on but that's not for everyone.

The DLC is "The Underground" which is procedurally made linear "dungeons" for short runs through subways & sewers, a largely abandoned PvP mode and a survival mode where you need to battle the weather, illness, street gangs and possibly other players (PvP optional) to retrieve and extract an antidote.  None are really mandatory experiences although the Underground can give you a short term solo grind and Survival is definitely a change of pace but may not be for everyone.

Why is everyone going crazy over this Whispering Willows game on chrono? Terrible reviews, and looks pretty bad too, but is selling out quickly.
I liked it. It's a nice 2D side-scrolling adventure with some light puzzles. The art and atmosphere are fairly creepy. The game isn't too long, either.

The reviews on Steam are positive, but one thing I remember is that there's a bit of tedious backtracking.

I DO like how the best AAA games achieve a quality rating of "Well worth the $10" around here.
That's like a 95 score from IGN!

ACK-tually, I said it was well worth $10 for the 1-30 campaign. Which really isn't exceptionally long and is only "half the game" if you're one of the "The REAL game starts at 30..." people. Since some people aren't really interested in an endless looter-shooter grind, I was making a point of saying that the campaign was worth ten bucks even if you get bored loot grinding after that and that's all you play. If it were, say, twenty bucks, I'd be more hesitant to say "go for it" not knowing if they'll enjoy the stat/loot driven back half of the game once the story is over.

Valve making discord clone:

Want to bring someone into a conversation? Just drag and drop your friends from the Friends List to send them an invite.

Save your group:
Got a good thing going? Avatar of yours so you can chat or play together later. This makes it easy to pick up.

Group chats built for gaming:
Persistent chat groups You can easily check in with your communities when you sign in to Steam.

Maybe you can play with the same group of people. Start a voice channel, send out some game invites, and you're ready to go.

Within any group, create a new persistent discussion any time, either for text or voice. General, off topic, memes, knitting, people who love cats, etc.
It's just one click to create a channel, one click to join, and one click to leave.

Now you can create and send links.
Email, message, or text the link for them to join from the Steam Client or a web browser.

Clear, crisp voice quality before, during, and after your games. Improvements to Steam.
At a glance you can see if your friends are talking.

All of these features have not only been built in the Steam client, but also on the web. So you can continue conversations when you have access to a web browser but you're not logged in to the Steam client.

Also, Firefox does not work yet, sorry. It will soon, though!

During the beta, chatting with people who are NOT in the beta will be a little weird. Mainly for them. People in the non-beta Steam Client will not be able to join your group chats.
Once we're sure that things are working as they should, we'll flip the switch to release all of the new features on everyone on Steam. Until then, the new chat experience will only be available to beta participants

New friends list, chat, and voice chat features
a richer chat experience
better friends list organization
making it easier with friends

Keep your favorite friends, groups, and chats right at the top of your Friends List, making it easy to check in on what you care about.

Nicknames:
Keep track of friends. You'll always see your friends.

Group chats:
Easily pull friends together for a quick chat ...
... or create a larger, more persistent group based on what you play or talk about.

Your in-game friends are now in the game.

See who's playing together. You can watch friends enter into a match and then emerge when their game is over. Be ready to dive in with them.

Games can now show details in the Friends List like:
Whether they're involved in a match or just starting out
Or whatever the game developer chooses

Video, pictures, tweets, and more:
Every chat on Steam is now multi-media friendly. Getting your point across is easier than ever, now that everyone can see your GIFs inline rather than a list of links. Paste a picture from the clipboard and upload it directly to the chat.

Ok, I feel like Ubishart is trying to trick me. They have a sale going on and they keep adverteasing the 20% for 100 schmeckles thing, but...BUT I thought the 20% thing wouldn't stack with sales as it states in the tiny text: Not combinable with any other offer.

Edit:

GODDAMMIT I fuck ing knew it! Why did I bother when I knew this would be the result? the cocksuckery of it all!!!

COUPON CODE "GO fuck YOURSELF WE'RE POS LIARS" CAN CURRENTLY NOT BE ADDED TO YOUR CART.

It's blatant deception:

bullshit.jpg

i'd prefer  steam just implementing discord within steam and linking accounts (which we already do)

Every community hub gets it's own discord channel blah blah i'm saying things

Just played through Firewatch ... I feel like it's a real mess. Spoilers maybe? I won't avoid them, as I'm writing this for other people who've played, not for people thinking about buying (for the latter: I wouldn't recommend it, either the money or the time).

The art style is absolutely gorgeous, the voice acting is good, the story and the attempt to use the videogame medium to guide you into it just don't work at all.

The story itself was all over the place, was it about PTSD and mental illness, was it about regret, was it about running from your problems? It could have been about all of these, of course, but it wasn't about any of them: it just threw out heavy themes more as an attempt to do the "videogames can tackle heavy themes" thing than having anything to say about it or as a genuine representation of those themes. 

The mystery element thrown into the middle doesn't touch on what's effecting the characters except in trite or even exploitive ways, and we don't see Delilah or Henry grow through the experience at all. The twists and reveals fall completely flat.

so is Vampyr the Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines successor I've been waiting for?
Sure as hell sounds like it, from the reviews - despite the "meh" scores...b/c of not-so-spectacular combat and some bugs/issues.

A lot of comparisons are being made w/ that all over the reviews - in terms of scale/size (while the game-world ain't that big in size, but there sounds like a lot to do in such small areas); slow burn story; lots of detail in environments; lots of atmosphere; details galore in the game-areas; and the quality of the writing/dialogue.

The whole crafting stuff and kill any NPC (or not) things sounds really intriguing to me.

Can't wait for a price drop or something. Been really looking forward to Vampyr since I saw it demo'ed at IGN at E3 a few years back.

I'd say that before I'd consider ditching discord, I'd expect Steam to demonstrate that they can keep their servers up for at least seven days in a row.

Derpstany 2 getting an 'expansion' (as opposed to more DLC) and that expansion will have even more DLCs!  Glad I sold off my Humble copy.

Sure as hell sounds like it, from the reviews - despite the "meh" scores...b/c of not-so-spectacular combat and some bugs/issues.

A lot of comparisons are being made w/ that all over the reviews - in terms of scale/size (while the game-world ain't that big in size, but there sounds like a lot to do in such small areas); slow burn story; lots of detail in environments; lots of atmosphere; details galore in the game-areas; and the quality of the writing/dialogue.

The whole crafting stuff and kill any NPC (or not) things sounds really intriguing to me.

Can't wait for a price drop or something. Been really looking forward to Vampyr since I saw it demo'ed at IGN at E3 a few years back.
Good. It seemed interesting but Dontnod has been extremely spotty so far. I love the hell out of Bloodlines, so anything similar is right up my alley.

Lol it's not, he gets extremely worked up over how bad he thinks the game is, which cracks me up because I thought it was mediocre but not horrible.

I thought Life is Strange was okay
Yeah basically. It had some good ideas but failed to capitalize on them in any meaningful way.

I just found all the TEEN ANGST shit in Life is Strange unbearable, but that's also probably my least favorite thing in general.

Lol it's not, he gets extremely worked up over how bad he thinks the game is, which cracks me up because I thought it was mediocre but not horrible.
It was a crappy game but half the joke was that Motoki hated Life is Strange which I thought was good (until the trainwreck final act) and I disliked Remember Me which he thought was the bee's knees. Both, of course, by Dontnod.

That said, if you want a boring linear game with shitty boss fights, Remember Me has you covered.

Ok, I feel like Ubishart is trying to trick me. They have a sale going on and they keep adverteasing the 20% for 100 schmeckles thing, but...BUT I thought the 20% thing wouldn't stack with sales as it states in the tiny text: Not combinable with any other offer.

Edit:

GODDAMMIT I fuck ing knew it! Why did I bother when I knew this would be the result? the cocksuckery of it all!!!

COUPON CODE "GO fuck YOURSELF WE'RE POS LIARS" CAN CURRENTLY NOT BE ADDED TO YOUR CART.

It's blatant deception:

bullshit.jpg
For what it's worth, thanks for taking the bullet on this experiment. I was always curious whether the 20% stacked on top of sale prices. Now people know at least.

For what it's worth, thanks for taking the bullet on this experiment. I was always curious whether the 20% stacked on top of sale prices. Now people know at least.
It actually seems to depend on the game/sale/something maybe? As I bought Ghostlands a while back when it was on sale for $20 and "bought" the 20% discount...it stacked on that game/sale and I got if for $16....so yeah, it may be a crap shoot...

I DO like how the best AAA games achieve a quality rating of "Well worth the $10" around here.
Eh, I was at well worth when I fakey bro'ed it at release. (Granted, that was 73 dollars for the gold edition and have over a 1000 hours now and still do play it.)

Anyhow, I do recommend the gold edition... Even if you never touch Last Stand (PvP Domination variant mode) you still likely not be able to buy the other two modes cheaper... Maybe even just one of them cheaper than that 8 extra dollars.

Anyhow, I do recommend the gold edition... Even if you never touch Last Stand (PvP Domination variant mode) you still likely not be able to buy the other two modes cheaper... Maybe even just one of them cheaper than that 8 extra dollars.
That's probably true. Especially if you're locked into the Steam edition so you don't get the benefit of sales via other retailers (all Uplay versions).

That's probably true. Especially if you're locked into the Steam edition so you don't get the benefit of sales via other retailers (all Uplay versions).
I think that's been changed and that you can now redeem DLC for uplay versions on a steam copy... You just have to do it via uplay. Now, I've just been told this a few times as I rarely buy uplay versions.

You can use uplay version of Division's Season Pass with Steam version though. (Same goes for any game that doesn't require download for DLC, like Siege).

I'll take y'alls word on it.  Last Uplay game I bought via Steam was Siege.  Not necessarily because of the DLC issues but because it's always been cheaper from other sources.

Just played through Firewatch ... I feel like it's a real mess. Spoilers maybe? I won't avoid them, as I'm writing this for other people who've played, not for people thinking about buying (for the latter: I wouldn't recommend it, either the money or the time).

The art style is absolutely gorgeous, the voice acting is good, the story and the attempt to use the videogame medium to guide you into it just don't work at all.

The story itself was all over the place, was it about PTSD and mental illness, was it about regret, was it about running from your problems? It could have been about all of these, of course, but it wasn't about any of them: it just threw out heavy themes more as an attempt to do the "videogames can tackle heavy themes" thing than having anything to say about it or as a genuine representation of those themes.

The mystery element thrown into the middle doesn't touch on what's effecting the characters except in trite or even exploitive ways, and we don't see Delilah or Henry grow through the experience at all. The twists and reveals fall completely flat.
I pretty much agree. I don't feel like I wasted my time playing it since it was enjoyable enough, but I don't see what was so special about it. I'd rank every other walking simulator I've played above this one.

Took the plunge on the Division Gold thanks to all the recommendations.  When my kid is in college and I actually get to play it, I'll let you know if it was worth it.

Also, Humble Ubisoft bundle incoming thanks to my sacrifice.

bread's done
Back