Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I don't see anything wrong with it. People give money to charity without getting anything. If someone wants to give a bunch of money to charity and get early access to a game, who cares? If the dev was getting a chunk of it I'd be rolling my eyes too, but it's no different than any "games for charity" type of thing, it's just a higher tier.

And I can see how the whole charity thing is for attention, but thinking about it, say I finished my game and released it. I'd probably do the same. For attention? Not really, it's not like my game would make tons of cash, I might as well do SOMETHING good with it.
Or people who want to give $100 to starving orphans can just give $100 to starving orphans. *shrug*

I'm not saying it's the end of the world and there's far worse shit that indie devs do but it just seems a bit silly and pointless. If someone wanted to give that much to charity they'd give that much to charity.

You make it sound that buying the game is some "essential need." This is hardly a "shake down."

No one is forcing anyone to buy the game at that price. Some people want to play an interesting game early and is willing to shell out big bucks for the privilege. (Also known as #FakeCAG and having more money than sense)

So the developer is getting PR and is also making money from this advertisement? What's the issue here?
It just seems a bit like taking advantage of some of their most loyal (and quite possibly insane) fans, but I forgot this is the internet and anything for charity = HOW DARE YOU QUESTION GIVING MONEY TO HOMELESS KITTENS.

Or people who want to give $100 to starving orphans can just give $100 to starving orphans. *shrug*

I'm not saying it's the end of the world and there's far worse shit that indie devs do but it just seems a bit silly and pointless. If someone wanted to give that much to charity they'd give that much to charity.
It is silly, but the way I look at it it's just like, if that little effort actually brought someone to decide to donate that, then cool. The charity got a bunch of money, the buyer feels good for giving to charity and gets to feel special playing a game before release, and the dev feels good for doing something relatively worthwhile with their game.

Doesn't seem like anyone really loses in the whole scenario.

Okay you guys win. Now everybody breakout their checkbooks and give $100 to starving mongolian monkeys to get a shitty indie pixel game a few days early.

SmileySurrender.gif

It just seems a bit like taking advantage of some of their most loyal (and quite possibly insane) fans, but I forgot this is the internet and anything for charity = HOW DARE YOU QUESTION GIVING MONEY TO HOMELESS KITTENS.
I don't see it as taking advantage of fans, their loyal fans and still get the game at 14.99 a few days later. It takes advantage of impatient people who can't wait a few days, and I'm okay with that. It's better then cutting out parts of a game to sell as content DLC later (to actually screw over fans).

Mentioned earlier I felt it similar to cosmetic DLC, because in both cases they make money/extra money off stupid folk. Higher early access cost (for a few days) takes advantage of stupid people who think the world will end if they can't play a game a few days earlier. Cosmetic DLC takes advantage of stupid people who think you MUST have all the DLC or life isn't complete or something (all imo).

Granted in this case the money goes to charity, but I wouldn't care if it all went to the devs either.

I feel sorry for your horse, wearing a burlap sack when all the other ponies are wearing horse armor.

WHY DO YOU HATE HORSES?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
I asked a pretty pony to prom and it said no, so all ponies are evil!!!

(clicking quote 3 times while being impatient apparently quotes 3 times >.>)

Open for all:

• Dead Island Epidemic
  • Dead Island Epidemic
  • Dead Island Epidemic
  • Dead Island Epidemic
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Aerena
  • Lume
  • C-Rush
  • Humanity Asset
  • 1953 - KGB Unleashed
  • Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete
  • Street Racing Syndicate
  • Soulbringer
  • GEARCRACK Arena
  • Gun Metal
  • Syberia II
  • The 39 Steps
  • BlackSoul: Extended Edition
  • Crayon Physics Deluxe
  • KnightShift
  • Rush for Glory
  • Worms Pinball

Desura:
  • One Day for Ched
  • Songs of the Myrne
  • Pester
  • Dark Scavenger
  • Rhythm Destruction
  • International Snooker
  • Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends
  • Sinister City
  • 12 Labours of Hercules

they are delicious...why would anyone hate horses
The first time I went to Japan when I was 18 I went somewhere where there was a freezer full of steaks and I asked what it was and they told me it horse. :puke:

Apparently, it's a delicacy in southern Japan.

New donor only list:

• Tidalis
  • Plain Sight
  • Little Racers STREET
  • CID The Dummy
  • Tropico 4
  • Twin Sector
  • Bioshock
  • Miner Wars Arena
  • Miner Wars 2089
  • Fireburst
  • Depths of Peril
Donate to Seattle Children's at my Extra Life page here to get on the donor list and help some kids.

The first time I went to Japan when I was 18 I went somewhere where there was a freezer full of steaks and I asked what it was and they told me it horse. :puke:

A sushi chef made me some horse sashimi once.

It was really good.

Horse is on my bucket list, not that it's particularly hard to find, or worth getting hysterical about. Just glancing at Wikipedia looks like it's eaten on every continent.

I don't see it as taking advantage of fans, their loyal fans and still get the game at 14.99 a few days later. It takes advantage of impatient people who can't wait a few days, and I'm okay with that. It's better then cutting out parts of a game to sell as content DLC later (to actually screw over fans).

Mentioned earlier I felt it similar to cosmetic DLC, because in both cases they make money/extra money off stupid folk. Higher early access cost (for a few days) takes advantage of stupid people who think the world will end if they can't play a game a few days earlier. Cosmetic DLC takes advantage of stupid people who think you MUST have all the DLC or life isn't complete or something (all imo).

Granted in this case the money goes to charity, but I wouldn't care if it all went to the devs either.
That's leaving out cosmetic DLC people buy to support a dev/pub they appreciate—like ones who also put out free seasonal content. At the other end is the Borderlands 2 cosmetic DLC. I wonder if they've ensnared more of the compulsive types doing it that way, than if they'd packaged more of them together by class. I tend towards being a completionist, but when I look at all that, I'm like, "seriously? fuck no."

A sushi chef made me some horse sashimi once.

It was really good.
Yup, my friend went to Japan and said he had horse sashimi, and he said it was really good as well. Doesn't really weird me out, I mean, we eat cows. Eating horse is weird because we... ride horses?

Donate to Seattle Children's at my Extra Life page here to get on the donor list and help some kids.
CONTEST

Starting tonight at midnight American PST (Gaben time) and going for 24 hours, I will match dollar for dollar any donations made to this charity, up to a secret maximum amount (told only to Dr Sasquatch). It's a secret so people don't just give up after the limit is hit. In addition, anyone who donates at least $5 during the 24 hour period gets a free game off my bundle leftover list.

Yup, my friend went to Japan and said he had horse sashimi, and he said it was really good as well. Doesn't really weird me out, I mean, we eat cows. Eating horse is weird because we... ride horses?
Basically. We have an aversion to eating animals we domesticate or find useful outside of food. Pigs are apparently as intelligent as dogs but we haven't domesticated. They are also very delicious.

Horse meat is really good. I wish it was more readily available here in the US.

Goat is also delicious but people don't seem to mind that like they do eating horse meat. This Spanish joint down the road from my work makes some...tastes a lot like pot roast.

^ Birria is the shit. I used to get goat tacos at my local not-a-tacqueria Mexican restaurant in the old neighborhood.

Basically. We have an aversion to eating animals we domesticate or find useful outside of food. Pigs are apparently as intelligent as dogs but we haven't domesticated. They are also very delicious.
I agree but I think livestock are still considered domesticated aminals.

Horse meat is really good. I wish it was more readily available here in the US.

Goat is also delicious but people don't seem to mind that like they do eating horse meat. This Spanish joint down the road from my work makes some...tastes a lot like pot roast.
I thought I read somewhere it is a legal thing with horse meat in the US, and that we actually slaughter and process horse meat here to ship to other countries. I also heard the FDA was considering changing that or something.

Foxes aren't domesticated, nor are they particularly useful. Just saying.

=P~

This is actually a really interesting and complicated topic. Pigs are domesticated to an extent, and you can see decidedly different behavior between wild boars and the type of pig you'd find on a farm (you can argue any animal ordinarily on a farm is domesticated). You also can note a key difference which is the ears. Undomesticated animals, with the exception of elephants, all have upright ears, and you can see that with wild boars. However, plenty of pigs have floppy ears.

In either case, I understand the aversion to eating animals that we often consider as pets (although, some people do have pigs as pets of course). I can see how a lot of people would view it as a betrayal of that sort of relationship to prey upon something you bred and raised to be a pet.

Foxes aren't domesticated, nor are they particularly useful. Just saying.

=P~
Actually, some of that information I cited, I found out when I was looking into the domestication of the silver fox. Red foxes on the other hand...

CONTEST

Starting tonight at midnight American PST (Gaben time) and going for 24 hours, I will match dollar for dollar any donations made to this charity, up to a secret maximum amount (told only to Dr Sasquatch). It's a secret so people don't just give up after the limit is hit. In addition, anyone who donates at least $5 during the 24 hour period gets a free game off my bundle leftover list.
I just wanted make sure more people saw this...

This is actually a really interesting and complicated topic. Pigs are domesticated to an extent, and you can see decidedly different behavior between wild boars and the type of pig you'd find on a farm (you can argue any animal ordinarily on a farm is domesticated). You also can note a key difference which is the ears. Undomesticated animals, with the exception of elephants, all have upright ears, and you can see that with wild boars. However, plenty of pigs have floppy ears.
So does that mean that with the advent of the Scottish Fold, we've finally managed to properly domesticate [customspoiler=cats?]
photo-352021.png
[/customspoiler]

Could I please spoder these
Please and thank you!
May I have this one, good Doctor? Thank you!
Pretty please?

Edit: Thank you! :grouphug:
My friend needs to play more games with me, and I like this one.
  • Fireburst
please thanks
I regret nothing!
Can I get this one please Dr SandyCrotch? Thankya =P
This is another one of those, I've never played it and I'm not sure why, titles.

Thanks!
May I? Thanks again!
Sent, sent, sent, sent, sent, sent, sent, sent, sent, and sent.

Have fun, kids!

Why are indie devs like this? :(
I'll field this one.

Indie devs are enthusiasts. They like games. They like games enough that they learned to make them as a hobby, and they became decent (not going to say good) enough at the craft to make something that they decided was finished enough to market.

But the experience gained in learning to create a game doesn't apply at all to marketing or distributing a game. All of the trials and errors that were involved in the process that led to creating a game were done in private. Being a businessperson is a public endeavor. While it's just as much a learning experience, the mistakes and failures don't occur in private any longer.

Indie devs shouldn't be expected to know how to handle a game release. That doesn't excuse the worst decisions, but it's worth asking, what did you expect?

The other side of things is the businessperson who decides to go into games. There you have someone who knows that manually distributing things to every customer or putting your one and only product out there in a bundle for "exposure" without a way to monetize anything afterward is Shaq-fuing ridiculous. But then you have the same ignorance of the actual development side and ask your team to make something comparable to GTA in under two months because other genres can pump out games in that time.

TLDR: It's unfortunate when people who are good at one thing are either forced into or decide they're just as qualified for taking on some other role that is completely beyond their abilities.

Could I grab that one? Thanks!
And sent.

CONTEST

The gauntlet is thrown, guys! Time to get those donations in! (Well, almost time.) Expect lots of good stuff tomorrow, like games, and uhh, more games! Make sure you refresh this page every five minutes or more for 24 hours and don't even think about sleeping!

And thanks, Trav! Your last challenge kicked off a great day of giving!

• The 39 Steps
  • BlackSoul: Extended Edition
These two look interesting. I'd like them.

Also, I have (finally) felt like I have asked for too much without a single donation and now I feel like a leech. No, don't try convincing me otherwise! It's true! So I'm down for a donation. But I can't get to a secure computer until tomorrow or Tuesday, so keep those donations open!

I noticed that the OlliOlli coupon I got actually stacks on the current launch discount price, which is the first time I've seen a coupon that stacks. Is that a recent change or have I just missed coupons that have stacked before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back