The Bill Goldberg Wrestling Thread - William Regal - New King of The Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well removing Styles from commentating confirms that Vince is done pissing on ECW's grave and bending over to take a crap on it now. If they get rid of Dreamer, Richards & Tazz, the show can pretty much be renamed "Tuesday Night Velocity".

And Mike Adamle seems soulless. The novelty has passed. It's time to let him go, WWE. Good god, he'd be worse than Michael Cole, Mark Madden, Coachman, Don West, Tony Schiavone...

I like the sig, Busta.

Coincidentally. I thought about you last night. I figured I'd get a chance to ask you here first before talking to any of my wrestler friends from Illinois.

I doubt you run into this too often now, since you're a veteran and (last I checked) a heel, and probably call most of your matches as a result. But what happens if someone calls a move that you've never taken before/don't know how to take?

Styles is out?

Huh. How 'bout that?

That's all. What? You think there's something to get worked up about over that? Nah. WWE's Tuesday night show is rarely any good to begin with, so taking bad and making it worse isn't going to rile me up.

[quote name='mykevermin']Styles is out?

Huh. How 'bout that?

That's all. What? You think there's something to get worked up about over that? Nah. WWE's Tuesday night show is rarely any good to begin with, so taking bad and making it worse isn't going to rile me up.[/quote]

To reiterate something Paul Heyman himself said recently, "You can cry all day long that the show is not ECW and shouldn't be called ECW, but it's their product. They bought it and have every right to do what they want with it. There's nothing you can do about it, so why get upset over it? I'm not emotionally attached to the letters because there's nothing to be attached to anymore."

He's right, you know.

[quote name='Sporadic']- edit About that last part, no just no, Orton sucks as a babyface. Turning him would be one of the worst decisions they could make.[/quote]

Orton sucked as a babyface but that was when they were trying to make him into The Rock 2. Give it time. Watch how his reign plays out.

They're still in the UK, right, so ECW is going to be taped?

Shame, I would've tuned in to hear Adamle crash and burn on live commentary.

Poor Taz.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Come on now. Most of that was '99 and beyond. You can't say that WCW was defined by '99-'01. That's not fair. That's after Ted Turner and Eric Bischoff were both out of the picture. That is not the company that they built.[/QUOTE]

Alright fine, but if it's not fair to judge WCW by some of it's later angles/characters, how is it fair to moan about how terrible WWE is now? Most people here would say that The Rock was a blast to watch, that Kurt Angle put on some of the best wrestling of all time, that Steve Austin revived the WWF at a very low point for the company and so on.

I am looking at the whole WCW picture and really I think their problems began when Hogan arrived. In '94 he had already lost a step that he couldn't afford to lose and from then on, the title was more often than not, around his non-jobbing, out of touch, pompous ass. I say this as a Hogan fan (yes, it's nostalgia) but to think that WCW's problems began in '99 is ridiculous. And for the record, the standard "drop Sting from the rafters" Nitro ending began before Starrcade '97.

Because I don't want this to get heated, this is the last of it from me. Did I enjoy WCW? Sure. Did I enjoy it as much as the WWF or ECW, certainly not.

[quote name='chasemurata']To reiterate something Paul Heyman himself said recently, "You can cry all day long that the show is not ECW and shouldn't be called ECW, but it's their product. They bought it and have every right to do what they want with it. There's nothing you can do about it, so why get upset over it? I'm not emotionally attached to the letters because there's nothing to be attached to anymore."

He's right, you know.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. My affinity to ECW is long gone, and thankfully with it, is any sort of irritation I get when I see that the final strands linking the current ECW to the old ECW.

That's my reaction: so what. big deal.

It certainly can't be an improvement regardless, but that's not the issue.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Orton sucked as a babyface but that was when they were trying to make him into The Rock 2. Give it time. Watch how his reign plays out.[/quote]

I don't think Orton has the charisma to pull off the face role. What's he going to do? Smile more? He appears to have a stoic personality that wouldn't lend itself to the proper functions a face would need. I think the reaction would be lukewarm, at best. What I think they should do is keep Orton as a heel until he no longer draws heat, which will be a while considering how things are now.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's pretty much it. My affinity to ECW is long gone, and thankfully with it, is any sort of irritation I get when I see that the final strands linking the current ECW to the old ECW.

That's my reaction: so what. big deal.[/quote]

Indeed, Mr. Vermin.

I don't think anyone should have expected true ECW style from WWE's ECW. Any way one slices it, it's still WWE.

[quote name='DJSteel']As sad as it maybe.. I haven't seen an episode of ECW because stingy ass Comcast wants me to pay extra for Sci Fi..[/QUOTE]

They air ECW Wednesday through Monday on WWE.com.

If Orton were face, I wouldn't see him as a happy-go-lucky guy, but I could see the fans getting behind him if he dropped the belt to Cena. If Orton were able to lay into Cena on the mic about how he's a no-talent and no one wants to see him as champ, then I think the majority of the crowd would love booing Cena even more and cheering for Orton.

Eh, I disagree to an extent. In hindsight, it's totally unsurprising, sure.

But looking forward, and listening to the way the brand split is discussed and so often framed by those within the WWE as having "separate identities," I am still waiting on seeing that translate into something meaningful on the tv screen.

The shows use different colorschemes and have different rosters, yet:
1) they use the same set now
2) the format of the shows are largely similar in terms of:
2a) promos
2b) comedy
2c) match length
2d) match content
3) the weighting of the main event to the detriment of the undercard is consistent from show to show
4) tag teams are useless and meaningless on both shows
5) overemphasis on long and drawn out entrance themes and poses (one of these days I'm gonna use a stopwatch to time all the entrances on the show and then all the actual in-ring action, and buy all of you puppies if the latter is longer than the former)
6) the production techniques
7) camera angles
8) interview styles
9) the 'flow' of the show (e.g., you can always guarantee the 'bathroom match' 1:35 into Raw or Smackdown, or 0:35 into ECW, you can always expect the main event to start at 1:52-1:55 of Raw/SD and 0:55 of ECW

They use the same production teams on the show; it makes *total* sense financially (much like putting together the ECW/SD tours so they save on travel costs). But it translates into a WWE programming that, when added all up, is far too formulaic. WWE programming is like watching someone fill out the same "Mad Libs" three times a week every week.

I like your points. If you're one of the cool kids you can be on any show you feel like. Its been like that for at least a year now. Same sets is very disappointing too. Now I'm getting wrestling depressed.

Can we make some more fun of Goldberg?

[quote name='CouRageouS']Can we make some more fun of Goldberg?[/quote]

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QHeKjAQP-Dg[/media]

WrestleMania XX. :lol:

Sure, Lesnar got the worst of it, but it's still worth remembering.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXRDv-qbes[/media]

Goldberg shows some charisma and self-deprecating humor in this video. He comes off as more down to earth than most people give him credit for.

He's still who he was in pro wrestling, but I have a bit more respect for him now.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXRDv-qbes

Goldberg shows some charisma and self-deprecating humor in this video. He comes off as more down to earth than most people give him credit for.

He's still who he was in pro wrestling, but I have a bit more respect for him now.[/quote]

Yeah, for all the crap I gave Goldberg about his in-ring talent, I can't off-the-top-of-my-head recall a report that stated anything Hogan or Triple H-esque by Goldberg, which would be interesting.

:pray:

Please... please God...... let Joey Styles out of the WWE and have him go to TNA. If that's what it will take to get rid of that annoying loud fat fuck Don West..... THEN DO IT!

[quote name='Matt Young']I like the sig, Busta.

Coincidentally. I thought about you last night. I figured I'd get a chance to ask you here first before talking to any of my wrestler friends from Illinois.

I doubt you run into this too often now, since you're a veteran and (last I checked) a heel, and probably call most of your matches as a result. But what happens if someone calls a move that you've never taken before/don't know how to take?[/QUOTE]Good question! Well first of all, I'm definitely not a "veteran," even among the guys I usually work with. My first match was April 1st 2006, so I've been wrestling in front of an audience for two years and training for three.

Anyway, I wish I had a better answer, but the truth is that the situation you describe hasn't really happened to me yet. Since I just work locally with one promotion for the most part, the people I wrestle on a show are usually people that I train with (this really is NOT typical of the indy experience, just so there's no misunderstanding). There may have been a couple of spots where I had to really think on my feet, but even then, 9 times out of 10 you're gonna just be landing on your back in some form or another, so it isn't much of a problem. When in doubt, tuck your head and hope for the best. :p

More on Adamle replacing Styles, and info about Jeff Hardy going back on house shows -
http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=22587

I expect Adamle to be quite awful tonight, which gives me another reason to watch ECW tonight - just to see that disaster unfold live. The guy can barely handle a 30 second spot yet. I expect this to be somewhere around the level of the awful play-by-play announcing for the Heroes of Wrestling PPV, where the announcer didn't even know the names of most moves, and not even Dutch Mantel could salvage it.

Adamle does the sports here for NBC (channel 5). Making him an announcer is a piss poor deciision but then again who is actually watching ECW to notice how awful he'll be?

Joey Styles has sucked in WWE. He seems lifeless and bored on the show. He really didn't need Taz to announce with him either. They really should just kill off ECW.

[quote name='Blackout542']Joey Styles has sucked in WWE. He seems lifeless and bored on the show. [/quote]

That's due to Vince and others basically forcing him to adapt to their style when he was doing Raw. If it wasn't for that, he'd still be using the old style he did back in the old ECW.

They should switch Coachman to ECW as well and bring back Taz and Cole. No one can make a Michael Cole gay like Taz can.

During a Nidia match..
"I forgot Cole, you don't like tomatoes.. *long pause* but you love bananas!"

[quote name='tangytangerine']That's due to Vince and others basically forcing him to adapt to their style when he was doing Raw. If it wasn't for that, he'd still be using the old style he did back in the old ECW.[/quote]

Yep. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Head Cheese and his Cheese Horde forced Styles into a more color commentary position and less play-by-play (which WWE doesn't do anymore). JR mentioned that Styles "adopted" storytelling as opposed to calling every move. In non-WWE employee speak, he meant Styles had no choice but to bend over to WWE's wishes.

Here's hoping Styles goes to TNA, as I hate Don West. That change alone would compel me to watch TNA more often.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I got a feeling that Vince himself will be feeding stuff to Mike via the headset.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that redundant? He has a righteous reputation as a control freak. Find me one announcer that he doesn't feed stuff to.

[quote name='mykevermin']Isn't that redundant? He has a righteous reputation as a control freak. Find me one announcer that he doesn't feed stuff to.[/QUOTE]

..... uuuhhhhhhhh.... I'll have to get back to you on that. ;)

And on that note...

SAM_JOE_lrge.jpg

I would buy this shirt. But I am NOT paying $11 in shipping TNA.

[quote name='Demolition Man']..... uuuhhhhhhhh.... I'll have to get back to you on that. ;)

And on that note...

SAM_JOE_lrge.jpg

I would buy this shirt. But I am NOT paying $11 in shipping TNA.[/quote]

Take away the words "Samoa Joe" and I think most people would consider that some sort of S & M shirt. :shock:

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Take away the words "Samoa Joe" and I think most people would consider that some sort of S & M shirt. :shock:[/quote]

And "S&M" spelled out using the first letter of ampersand is "S-A-M": the first three letters of "Samoan."

Holy crepes! Where's my Jenga board! :shock:!

[quote name='chasemurata']And "S&M" spelled out using the first letter of ampersand is "S-A-M": the first three letters of "Samoan."

Holy crepes! Where's my Jenga board! :shock:![/quote]

Jenga's a board game now?

You mean ouiji?

Tenay & Styles together would get annoying really fast, espescially if TNA continued to script the hell out of their announcers.

I totally agree with everyone about the whole Orton thing and this being his year. After "mania I've really gotten into him and I hope that he keeps the title for a long time to come.

And yes, if Mike Adamle is doing ECW tonight I'm definitely watching to see on a scale of trainwreck to neuclear disaster how bad it is. Every single 30 second bit I've seen him do on RAW has been totally lifeless and I don't think he's done a single one where he didn't get all the names right.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Take away the words "Samoa Joe" and I think most people would consider that some sort of S & M shirt. :shock:[/QUOTE]

I can't help but look at it as a Chris Benoit shirt.

Man, between the three of you, I guess I may have to turn it on just for laffs.

I'm in a cheerful mood now that I figured out how to properly create a stacked dataset in SPSS with far less trouble than I thought. Huzzah.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, between the three of you, I guess I may have to turn it on just for laffs.[/QUOTE]

I'm only watching bits and pieces as I'm watching this amazing Asia live show on SyncLive.... wait..... they just killed the webcast. :cry:

Okay... I'm now watching the Wild.... shit.... now its Colorado 2 Minnesota 0.... fuck.

Well.....

I'll still watch the Wild game over WWECW. :rofl:

Dear god, Adamle could barely get wrestler's names right when he was doing 30 second promos about ONE guy.

So, on the first night of announcing they stick him with an 8-man tag?

:applause:

It looks to me like Joey Styles is there. I missed the first 7 minutes, but it looked to me he was sitting between Tazz and Adamle, so what's up? I didn't hear him speak the entire portion of the match I watched.

I've got to say with the amount of talent in that match (CM Punk, Kofi, Shelton, Burke) alone it is a shame I don't watch ECW more often.

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't help but look at it as a Chris Benoit shirt.[/quote]

WOW, even better.

If I could get Sci-Fi where I'm at, I would've tuned into ECW. But, I may check out the webcast if its available.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Orton sucked as a babyface but that was when they were trying to make him into The Rock 2. Give it time. Watch how his reign plays out.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm sick of face/heel turns. Keep Orton the way he is, even if the crowd cheers him. Orton as babyface would be just another Cena, only way worse.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Take away the words "Samoa Joe" and I think most people would consider that some sort of S & M shirt. :shock:[/QUOTE]

I like it, too bad shippings a bitch on TNA.com

No quotes this week, but I do have screens (including some of Tazz dancing, which was by far the funniest moment on the show). Adamle wasn't as horrid as I expected - and Tazz actually fucked up a lot of stuff as well. Adamle was, tonight, a pleasant change of pace, although I was irked by him calling the show "the ECW".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back