The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

its been a couple of weeks since i last flipped cuz i wanted to lay low and take a break after getting my second ps3. But i just sold my first 80gig along with an extra controller and all my downloadable content/games for $500. Should i:
1. keep the money
2. flip ~$200 to buy another ps3 and keep the money
3. flip everything and buy a ps3, wii, 360

you should... take you asthma medication and settle down... do want you want man, what do you play? I have a 360 and a wii now and don't play the 360 b/c I hate the bitching and racist assholes on live. I want to be able to play online w/ my brothers and not have to pay a shit ton of money for stuff that should be free. I will be getting a PS3 very soon and probably selling my 360.

[quote name='runpuddrun']you should... take you asthma medication and settle down... do want you want man, what do you play? I have a 360 and a wii now and don't play the 360 b/c I hate the bitching and racist assholes on live. I want to be able to play online w/ my brothers and not have to pay a shit ton of money for stuff that should be free. I will be getting a PS3 very soon and probably selling my 360.[/quote]

Set your audio settings to mute anyone that isn't on your team, and then selectively mute any asshats on your team

I know, but I love my wii now with all of the great games out for it now. And with a PS3 I can pretty much play every AAA titles that come out with people that I actually like. Plus, the show is on ps3...

[quote name='runpuddrun']you should... take you asthma medication and settle down... do want you want man, what do you play? I have a 360 and a wii now and don't play the 360 b/c I hate the bitching and racist assholes on live. I want to be able to play online w/ my brothers and not have to pay a shit ton of money for stuff that should be free. I will be getting a PS3 very soon and probably selling my 360.[/quote]

Why should online gaming be free? I know it is with the Wii and PS3 but I feel its a better experience on XBL (Besides the clowns but thats what mute is for) rather then the other two systems. And isn't PS3 Home going to be at a charge?

I don't like paying as much as the next guy but when you get a better online experience (more people, better play, etc) its worth it, IMO.

Like I said, I have my reasons, and to each their own. I'm not trying to convince ANYONE, just myself. I have always loved M$'s systems, bought both at launch, but With BR winning the format war, I figured why not jump on the Sony bandwagon and I certainly don't need 3 consoles in my house, I have a hard enough time finishing games as it stands now.

[quote name='runpuddrun']Like I said, I have my reasons, and to each their own. I'm not trying to convince ANYONE, just myself. I have always loved M$'s systems, bought both at launch, but With BR winning the format war, I figured why not jump on the Sony bandwagon and I certainly don't need 3 consoles in my house, I have a hard enough time finishing games as it stands now.[/quote]

All you had to say was Metal Gear Solid 4, and the argument would have been over lol. I'm loving my PS3, even more so that it was cheap as fuck through all the flipping..MGS4:drool:

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']All you had to say was Metal Gear Solid 4, and the argument would have been over lol. I'm loving my PS3, even more so that it was cheap as fuck through all the flipping..MGS4:drool:[/quote]

All that for a game that isn't even out ;)

[quote name='joshnorm']Why should online gaming be free? I know it is with the Wii and PS3 but I feel its a better experience on XBL (Besides the clowns but thats what mute is for) rather then the other two systems. And isn't PS3 Home going to be at a charge?

I don't like paying as much as the next guy but when you get a better online experience (more people, better play, etc) its worth it, IMO.[/quote]

Home is going to be free unless you know something i dont. Im actually excited for ps3 HOME, i see it as AIM chat mixed with the game SIMS.
I agree with you about paying extra, but hopefully sony will keep working on it like how MS kept working on XBL when it first came out.

[quote name='runpuddrun']Like I said, I have my reasons, and to each their own. I'm not trying to convince ANYONE, just myself. I have always loved M$'s systems, bought both at launch, but With BR winning the format war, I figured why not jump on the Sony bandwagon and I certainly don't need 3 consoles in my house, I have a hard enough time finishing games as it stands now.[/quote]

I've had a PS3 since launch and I've enjoyed it. MLB 08 is awesome. Ratchet & Clank is good as well. I like the fact that PSN is free even though it is very light on features for one simple reason: I don't play on-line enough to justify a monthly fee.

Now back on topic... does anyone know what BB/GR gives for a DS Lite in credit?

For the Wiki (all games 360):
All Pro Football - $8
Call of Duty 2 - $8
Viva Pinata Party Animals - $15
Rainbow 6 Vegas - $15

Any of you more experienced GameRush traders know if the $5 bonus applies to trading in 4 games at once or does it have to be 3 exactly? I asked the BB employee who said they did no bonuses at all (after calling a manager and checking). I figured that the register would add it automatically (it didn't). I traded 3 games at the same store about a month ago and got the bonus. Felt kinda gypped being as I was expecting $20 more on my trade.

The bonus is very YMMV, very few BBGR still do that. As for the trade 3 vs. trade 4 question, I do not know.

[quote name='bustamark']For the Wiki (all games 360):
All Pro Football - $8
Call of Duty 2 - $8
Rainbow 6 Vegas - $15

Any of you more experienced GameRush traders know if the $5 bonus applies to trading in 4 games at once or does it have to be 3 exactly? I asked the BB employee who said they did no bonuses at all (after calling a manager and checking). I figured that the register would add it automatically (it didn't). I traded 3 games at the same store about a month ago and got the bonus. Felt kinda gypped being as I was expecting $20 more on my trade.[/quote]

[quote name='joshnorm']Why should online gaming be free? I know it is with the Wii and PS3 but I feel its a better experience on XBL (Besides the clowns but thats what mute is for) rather then the other two systems. And isn't PS3 Home going to be at a charge?

I don't like paying as much as the next guy but when you get a better online experience (more people, better play, etc) its worth it, IMO.[/quote]

As others have said, PlayStation Home is suppose to be free. From what I have read so far, it appears that it will be paid for by allowing companies to have "space" in the virtual world and other forms of product placement.

I have both a 360 and PS3, and I don't see why you think XBL is better. Yes, there are more people playing, but that has to do with the number of each console sold. It has nothing to do with the actual service. And yeah, XBL is more unified, but how important is stuff like being able to send messages during games or invite people into games? Is it worth $50 a year? Is it really worth the price or near the price of a new game? I don't think so...especially when your money doesn't even get you dedicated servers, something the PSN has...

Anyone trade in a FAT PSP lately? I'm curious what they trade for. I'm possibly looking to get a slim with my credit....although, I'm basically just looking to spend my credit ;) I may jump when the God of War bundle arrives...we'll see.

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone trade in a FAT PSP lately? I'm curious what they trade for. I'm possibly looking to get a slim with my credit....although, I'm basically just looking to spend my credit ;) I may jump when the God of War bundle arrives...we'll see.[/QUOTE]

The last time I asked (about a month ago) it was $70. On a side note does anyone know how much they give for a Xbox 360? Mine RRoD and when it gets back I might trade it in and try to get an Elite.

Thats a good idea for when my 360 RRODs (its already slowing down). Hell, I could probably get it fixed then ebay it and get more $$$ from that than it would cost to get enough credit for a new one.

[quote name='jkircos']The last time I asked (about a month ago) it was $70. On a side note does anyone know how much they give for a Xbox 360? Mine RRoD and when it gets back I might trade it in and try to get an Elite.[/quote]

I tried getting a quote yesterday for my 360 to no avail, and I called 3 different stores. I just put it up on Craigslist for $300 and have gotten a ton of interest, in fact someone is more than likely going to buy it today. I'm tired of hoping that it doesn't RROD any day I turn it on and will be picking up my PS3 today...

So, I just traded in my 360 game collection (some wii) for a ps3 40gb. I got 40gb because I don't need a ton of memory and I have no ps2/games or interest. As I see it, a ps3 is still the best option for a blu-ray player when the next cheapest at best buy is 500. I do however have a hard time giving up my 360 completely, as I feel it still offers the better gaming experience via Live and overall game selection. I held on to Burnout Paradise and Bioshock, since I just snagged them and havent played much. I outplayed all that I traded, so it seemed smart to get good value. I just got my 360 last year (newer model), and its never acted up. I might sell it after I finish my games, but I might keep it too. What would you do? I don't know how much I might get for it, interested also if anyone knows a Gamerush quote. Its a Premium w/20gb + accs. Is Craigslist the way to go? Oh, and I have a wii with games I havent played, so losing this collection was easier. And I traded at a Blockbuster, not Gamerush. They were really casual about it. I called in advance and asked how many is max I can sell? They said no max and no more than 2 of any copy. They were two 20-30 year old flirty girls working the counter. They looked up and gave me max on any game that wouldnt scan, i.e. T.H. Proving Ground L.E. The one kept talking about her wii and was pretty naive. She looked ready to offer me cash from her own pocket for Trauma Center, almost upset Blockbuster was getting it! Great experience over all. Left with $1 credit after a ps3+tax thanks to game values I found listed in this forum. Listed T.I.V.'s seperate.

If I get $450 in credit saved up again and I know I'll be going out of state and close to a Game Rush I'll probably try to sell the 360 Pro I just bought from Blockbuster. I don't like how noisy the system is, and I know the 20GB hard drive won't last too long before I only have 1 spot for demos and such =P

TIV's @ Blockbuster 3/15

Mass Effect $35
Orange Box $32
Assassin's Creed $32
Call of Duty 4 $32
Gears of War $25
FIFA 07 $25 !!!!!!
The Simpsons $22
Tony Hawk Proving Ground L.E. $22
Project Gotham Racing 4 $22
NCAA Football 08 $19
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion $15
Dead Rising $15
Crackdown $12
Just Cause $12
Tony Hawk Project 8 $12
Full Auto $8

Trauma Center: New Blood $30
Medal of Honor: Hereos 2 $30
No More Hereos $30

=430

New PS3 40GB w/tax 429.01

[quote name='funkflexmctough']TIV's
Blockbuster in Asheville, NC 3/15

Mass Effect $35
Orange Box $32
Assassin's Creed $32
Call of Duty 4 $32
Gears of War $25
FIFA 07 $25 !!!!!!
The Simpsons $22
NCAA Football 08 $19
Dead Rising $15
Crackdown $12
Just Cause $12
Tony Hawk Project 8 $12
Full Auto $8

No More Hereos $30

=430

New PS3 40GB w/tax 429.01[/quote]

That's hilarious that FIFA 07 gets $25 while NCAA 08 only gets $19.

[quote name='runpuddrun']I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a PS3!!! Still have $71.$$ left in credit after the purchase to pick up a game tomorrow.[/quote]

:applause:Congrats, might i suggest Uncharted amazing game (or DMC4)

[quote name='runpuddrun']will probably rent uncharted as my bro tells me it's amazing, but first purchase will be The Show 08'[/quote]

That's an excellent choice. I've been playing it for about a week and besides a few minor annoyances it's a great game.

Here's one more TIV for the thread:

(360) Superman Returns $12

I bought Lost Planet :360: for $14.99 but I think it was a mis-price and is regularly $19.99, still a pretty good deal if you're flipping for your credit.

Mass Effect $35
Orange Box $32
Assassin's Creed $32
Call of Duty 4 $32
Gears of War $25
FIFA 07 $25 !!!!!!
The Simpsons $22
NCAA Football 08 $19
Dead Rising $15
Crackdown $12
Just Cause $12
Tony Hawk Project 8 $12
Full Auto $8

No More Hereos $30

=430

New PS3 40GB w/tax 429.01[/quote]

Hey were there more than one FIFA 07 games or was that in 06 when they played the world cup? I just want to know so I can keep my eyes open for that 360 game and don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks.

FIFA '07 is $19.99 used at Gamestop. Might find it clearanced somewhere cheap, but it doesn't look like a huge flip. Not bad if someone's got a cheap copy they wanna get rid of though.

If anyone's got an excess of Goozex points, it's 400 points and there's 16 available/0 requested. :)

I forget who, but somebody mentioned that you could rent a game, then keep it and pay the used price. However, I rented Army of Two and asked the next day how much it would cost and they said $59.99. Anybody else have any experiences with this sort of thing?

[quote name='bustamark']For the Wiki (all games 360):
All Pro Football - $8
Call of Duty 2 - $8
Rainbow 6 Vegas - $15

Any of you more experienced GameRush traders know if the $5 bonus applies to trading in 4 games at once or does it have to be 3 exactly? I asked the BB employee who said they did no bonuses at all (after calling a manager and checking). I figured that the register would add it automatically (it didn't). I traded 3 games at the same store about a month ago and got the bonus. Felt kinda gypped being as I was expecting $20 more on my trade.[/quote]

Your store probably isn't doing the bonus anymore. When my local used to do it a few years ago, I traded in more than 3 games 3-4 different times, and I always got the bonus for every game. I think the promo used to specifically say trade in AT LEAST 3 games and get an extra $5 per game.

Oh man, I remember the good old days when GR first started up.

"Trade in any 3 games and get any used game for 9.99"

It was amazing the amount of PS1 games I brought to those stores. Not only that, I got the credit for those games, so I would walk out of the store with a week old game like Fable for $6 (technically, I used other credit from previous flipping, so i didn't really pay anything). Then I'd play the games and trade them back for $35, with two other PS1 games. It got to the point where everyone would just use their credit to get more credit.

I remember testimonies of people on here with over $1000 of credit!

Oh the glory!

[quote name='Bigjames']Just thought I'd let you know the BOGO free on games $14.99 or less starts Tuesday.[/quote]
Anyone know if this is just GR or all BBs? I wanna grab Outrun 2006 & something else for 6.99 if that's the case.

[quote name='Worldcup08']Oh man, I remember the good old days when GR first started up.

"Trade in any 3 games and get any used game for 9.99"

It was amazing the amount of PS1 games I brought to those stores. Not only that, I got the credit for those games, so I would walk out of the store with a week old game like Fable for $6 (technically, I used other credit from previous flipping, so i didn't really pay anything). Then I'd play the games and trade them back for $35, with two other PS1 games. It got to the point where everyone would just use their credit to get more credit.

I remember testimonies of people on hear with over $1000 of credit!

Oh the glory![/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? It is plenty of people that have been flipping (buying low selling high not the old school of just buying the game from BB/GR then flip it back to them) recently to have well over $1000 in credit but the master of them all is djkunai who has just surpassed anybody's wildest dreams of flipping.

[quote name='mkernan']I forget who, but somebody mentioned that you could rent a game, then keep it and pay the used price. However, I rented Army of Two and asked the next day how much it would cost and they said $59.99. Anybody else have any experiences with this sort of thing?[/quote]

As far a I recall, you pay the new price and the rental fee you paid doesn't apply towards it anymore, like it used to.

[quote name='Bigjames']Just thought I'd let you know the BOGO free on games $14.99 or less starts Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm sure there's a few in that range I'd like.

FIFA 07 $25 !!!!!!
Dead Rising $15[/quote]Thanks for the heads up on these. I picked up Fifa for under $15 awhile back and I've played it quite a bit and enjoy it, but I will probably end up giving it to GR for that much. I was wondering about this game since it's still $40 used. Dead Rising cost me $17, and I'm almost done with it, so I might be selling that one, too.

I might end up selling Call of Duty 4 in a month or two if that price holds up. I'm getting sick of the online already.

Anyone know where we can pick up FIFA 07 on the cheap besides GS or GOozex? I have 2950 goozex pts now, but if it changes, I don't want to be screwed...

[quote name='sp00ge']As far a I recall, you pay the new price and the rental fee you paid doesn't apply towards it anymore, like it used to.[/quote]

My experience (w/ Endless Ocean and MLB 08 The Show) has been getting them at $5 off. Endless Ocean was $24.99, The Show was $54.99. Seems as though they rang up as the used price.

[quote name='h2dk']My experience (w/ Endless Ocean and MLB 08 The Show) has been getting them at $5 off. Endless Ocean was $24.99, The Show was $54.99. Seems as though they rang up as the used price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it might be related to Army of Two being so new, but MLB 08 is brand new as well. I didn't actually have the clerk ring it up, just asked her to "look it up".... so maybe it would actually come out $5 less. Regardless, I'm not keeping it, so I guess I'll find out some other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back