The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know anything about a Samsung Bluray player BD1600? The store I saw it at had a 60% sign which seemed a little weird. Just wondering if its an individual store markdown or if it's mistagged and should be lower. Thanks for your help whether you know or not.

Holy crap the samsung BD-p1600 is $37.49

[quote name='kk012']The DSLite allows you to play GBA games. Currently, MSRP is $99.99 so $50 is an awesome deal.
The DSi has bigger screens than the DSLite. Currently, MSRP is $149.99 so $75 is also an awesome deal.

You are pretty luck in seeing so many DSLites and DSis. I checked 5 BBVs today. Only 1 store had DSLites and just 2 of them. The other 4 didn't even have any game consoles.[/QUOTE]
Here's some new info for new dsi owners or people picking up dsi's. i think it's a cool bonus since i picked up my dsi yesterday. nintendo is going to give away a free 25th anniversary zelda game:

Zelda: Four Swords
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-nintendo-gives-zelda-four-swords-on-dsi-in-september-203152.phtml

Hmm, do you think we'll see these drop further? I'd bite at some for 75% off.

unless they decide to change it 50% is the most game guides are to be reduced. on 6/20 everything not sold is going back to our distribution center.

It is mind-boggling that
ps3.gif
controllers and blu-ray remotes are considered neither game accessories or hardware.

they are but for some reason they chose not to discount those items like the 8 pk batteries and the 10ft hdmi cables.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The 5 for $20 blu ray sale has been extended 1 week til 6/13.

The clearance schedule has been moved up 1 week.

General merchandise 90% off 6/13-6/19[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me!? If I had known that I wouldn't have bought half the stuff I got yesterday! :bomb:

[quote name='hawaiiboy']they are but for some reason they chose not to discount those items like the 8 pk batteries and the 10ft hdmi cables.[/QUOTE]

So does that mean I'm waiting for nothing? I was hoping to pick them up next week.

So does that mean I'm waiting for nothing? I was hoping to pick them up next week.

The 2m, 3m and 25 ft hmdi are 75% off and will hit 90% next week. Just buy the 4pk of batteries unless they are all gone. Someone came in and bought like 20 pks today.

I went to BBV and I didn't find anything but game guides on clearance? Was it just that store or am I missing something? I wanted to get Microsoft points cards for less but I didn't find it to be any cheaper.

Does anyone have a list of what is on clearance,my store doesn't seem to have a clue.I had to go around the store and had to keep bringing stuff up to them to have them check.I much rather know ahead of time so,I don't have to keep bugging them.

[quote name='haywire69']Does anyone have a list of what is on clearance,my store doesn't seem to have a clue.I had to go around the store and had to keep bringing stuff up to them to have them check.I much rather know ahead of time so,I don't have to keep bugging them.[/QUOTE]

Almost everything that is NOT a dvd, blu-ray, used video game, PS3 system, PS3 controller, PS3 remote, 8-pack batteries, or a certain length of HDMI cable, and I think candy. Pretty much everything ELSE is on clearance.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Holy crap the samsung BD-p1600 is $37.49[/QUOTE]

Holy cow. I've seen blu ray players at every BBV but I don't know of it was that samsung one. What other models are available at BBV and are they also on clearance? My mom would love to have a blu ray player now that I have so many cheap BBV blu rays to watch.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Holy cow. I've seen blu ray players at every BBV but I don't know of it was that samsung one. What other models are available at BBV and are they also on clearance? My mom would love to have a blu ray player now that I have so many cheap BBV blu rays to watch.[/QUOTE]

Same here. The thing is, when I was running around yesterday I don't remember seeing any blu-ray players at all, let alone ones on clearance.

You guys are very lucky to find the cool stuff mentioned in this thread. I went to 2 stores today and called 2 more. No game consoles, no discounted blu-ray players, and total crap merchandise. Not even LBP2 plushies.

The only thing I walked away with is a holographic framed Jimi Hendrix picture for $5, but I was just slightly disappointed at the selection of stuff. Maybe I'll get a $3 Snuggie for the lady.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']unless they decide to change it 50% is the most game guides are to be reduced. on 6/20 everything not sold is going back to our distribution center.[/QUOTE]
Odd, my store had guides for 75% off. Only MK, KZ3, and something else though, don't remember.

There are a ton of framed posters I want, but I am going to be dumb and hope they are still there next week for the 90%. There is an awesome giant Jim Morrison pic, as well as a couple more cool ones.
I saw some good deals, like 4 GB flash drives and 25 ft HDMI, but didn't grab anything like that. And Gaga's Fame Monster was only $2.49, 50% off of $5. I might grab a copy next week.

My score was: A giant Hello Kitty poster for my 2 year old, 2 different Hello Kitty tiny plush animals, a Sackboy plush, 2 4-packs of AA batteries, and a ladybug Pillow Pet. $16 out the door for all of it.

Thank you to Hawaii and everyone else who has talked about this clearance sale. Got some awesome stuff for my daughter, a Sackboy for me, and hopefully some cool posters next week for me. And that last Angry Bird plush, if they still have it (they won't though...I should have bought it).

Picked up the framed Marvel comics roster poster since I was afraid it wouldn't make it to the 90% off sale next week.

Also picked up a Batman and Superman Fathead for $5 a piece and 3 sets of KOSS earbuds to use as backups for when mine go out.

Really hope some of the framed art is left for next week's 90% off sale. Local BBV had a really cool Dexter poster I'd love to get for $3

I was lucky enough to pick up that badass Walking Dead poster as well as a decent Clockwork Orange poster that isn't great, but I love that movie so I figure for the price, it was worth it. I'll try and head out to check another one.

Also, not sure if it's been discussed here but I saw a play and charge kit for the 360 priced at $20. I thought those would be on clearance so I took it up to the cashier to be scanned and he told me the price was right. Can someone offer any insight on that?

[quote name='izpep']Picked up the framed Marvel comics roster poster since I was afraid it wouldn't make it to the 90% off sale next week.

Also picked up a Batman and Superman Fathead for $5 a piece and 3 sets of KOSS earbuds to use as backups for when mine go out.

Really hope some of the framed art is left for next week's 90% off sale. Local BBV had a really cool Dexter poster I'd love to get for $3[/QUOTE]
If it's the same Dexter pic I saw at my store, I want it too.

[quote name='sotc1988']I was lucky enough to pick up that badass Walking Dead poster as well as a decent Clockwork Orange poster that isn't great, but I love that movie so I figure for the price, it was worth it. I'll try and head out to check another one.

Also, not sure if it's been discussed here but I saw a play and charge kit for the 360 priced at $20. I thought those would be on clearance so I took it up to the cashier to be scanned and he told me the price was right. Can someone offer any insight on that?[/QUOTE]

Did you get the movie poster or the art poster for A Clockwork Orange? I love the art one. The movie one was damaged at my store or I would have it too.

So I got extremely lucky. I found out my bro went to Worlds of Fun and since there were no ds lites were I live I asked if he could search around Kansas city Blockbusters to find one and luckily found a store with 7 so he got 2. I am one happy camper.

[quote name='georox']Did you get the movie poster or the art poster for A Clockwork Orange? I love the art one. The movie one was damaged at my store or I would have it too.[/QUOTE]

It was this one: link

I would have preferred something like this:link

However, I think this one is AMAZING. It had an extremely limited print and I couldn't afford it at the time. Plus, it sold out in seconds: link

Edit: Got the links straightened out, thanks.

[quote name='sotc1988']It was this one: http://$$$$$$$/rTTSb
I would have preferred something like this: http://$$$$$$$/gKvte.

However, I think this one is AMAZING. It had an extremely limited print and I couldn't afford it at the time. Plus, it sold out in seconds: http://$$$$$$$/B0sUK[/QUOTE]

URL shorteners don't work here.

[quote name='izpep']Picked up the framed Marvel comics roster poster since I was afraid it wouldn't make it to the 90% off sale next week.

Really hope some of the framed art is left for next week's 90% off sale. Local BBV had a really cool Dexter poster I'd love to get for $3[/QUOTE]

If u a Marvel fan, then that is a good choice. U did the right thing to buying it since these things are flying off. I had to go to 3 BBV. The first one a lady said hi and I ask if they had any Nintendo DS Lite/DSI. Said sold out. I shop around and notice a blue DS lite display case, but took it to the guy vacuuming the store. He scans it and says its $50. I said I take it. He looks in safe and pulls out a new Red ds lite. The girl then talks to him saying she things it was sold out since thats what the manager said. The guy said the employee was holding it to buy later. So I said was it a problem? They said no and sold it to me. I also got the christmas bleecket for $3.75.

At the 2nd store was nothing. The 3rd had 1 Iron man 2, a butch of Twilight, and Dean. I got the Iron Man 2 for $7.50.

Everyone, its better to go in person then calling (which I did 2 days ago) and make sure they dont check or ask another employee to check for the DS.

Thanks OP and keep up the great work.

[quote name='kk012']I only saw and bought the smaller-sized Toy Story framed art for $3.74. Can you post a pic of the Finding Nemo one?

They have a few CDs on clearance such as:
Taylor Swift
Lady Gaga Fame Monster $2.49
Maroon 5 Hands All Over $3.49
Black Eyed Peas The Beginning $3.99
Beatles Sergeant Pepper $2.49?
Charlie Brown Christmas and a few more.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to what it looks like. Should be the same size to the Toy Story frame. If u like fish/ finding nemo, then I think this is not bad.

Is Monster Inc. and Wizard of Oz worth getting? I never seen the movie Monster. I was thinking of OZ, but it looks funny since its a halo

http://www.art-find.net/showprint.aspx?pid=145822

[quote name='The Punisher']Here is a link to what it looks like. Should be the same size to the Toy Story frame. If u like fish/ finding nemo, then I think this is not bad.

Is Monster Inc. and Wizard of Oz worth getting? I never seen the movie Monster. I was thinking of OZ, but it looks funny since its a halo

http://www.art-find.net/showprint.aspx?pid=145822[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I wish that was available at my BBV.

I enjoyed Monsters Inc. A framed art for ~$4 or ~$8 is a bargain. I don't think you'd have problems selling or gifting it. It is a Disney Pixar film.

[quote name='izpep']Really hope some of the framed art is left for next week's 90% off sale. Local BBV had a really cool Dexter poster I'd love to get for $3[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's one at my BBV of Dex wearing a "Do Not Cross" tie that I'm maybe not even gonna wait to grab. I love it.

[quote name='georox']Did you get the movie poster or the art poster for A Clockwork Orange? I love the art one. The movie one was damaged at my store or I would have it too.[/QUOTE]

did you check... Ford road one? I recall seeing that there (not 100% sure though)

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Holy crap the samsung BD-p1600 is $37.49[/QUOTE]
:bomb: Dammit. I woulda bought a Blu-Ray player for $37, had I known they were on clearance.

I take it it's ONLY the Samsung one? :cry: They had 2-3 of the BR players on the front desk at my closest BBV when I bought the LBP2 plushes, not sure if it was the Samsung or not though.:whistle2:#

Dammit. I woulda bought a Blu-Ray player for $37, had I known they were on clearance.

They were probably the toshibas which aren't on sale. That $37.49 is a really weird price as the original price was $199.99 so it's some odd % off.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']They were probably the toshibas which aren't on sale. That $37.49 is a really weird price as the original price was $199.99 so it's some odd % off.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps at some point it dropped from $199.99 to $149.99. Then the 75% off applied to the $149.99 price. So I guess the Samsung Blu-ray player is the only Blu-ray player on clearance at BBV?

And all the Christmas CDs are $2.49? I remember seeing a stack of different ones last week at BBV: Charlie Brown, Home Alone, Josh Groban, etc. I guess it might be worth checking out for cheap Christmas presents.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']
And all the Christmas CDs are $2.49? I remember seeing a stack of different ones last week at BBV: Charlie Brown, Home Alone, Josh Groban, etc. I guess it might be worth checking out for cheap Christmas presents.[/QUOTE]

Add Jonas Brothers and Vanessa Hudgens to the list of clearanced CDs.

[quote name='kk012']Add Jonas Brothers and Vanessa Hudgens to the list of clearanced CDs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='boneless']Must we? :puke:[/QUOTE]

Not a must more like a FYI. Some CAGs do have kids or nieces/nephews, etc.

[quote name='kk012']Not a must more like a FYI. Some CAGs do have kids or nieces/nephews, etc.[/QUOTE]

I know, I was just kidding. It's late and I like using unique smilies. :lol:

[quote name='boneless']I know, I was just kidding. It's late and I like using unique smilies. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That was a pretty cool smilie.

Well, I'm going to try and find that cheap Samsung blu-ray player Wed. night. It'd be cool to pick one up:D

went to 2 BBV last night. First one picked up some cheap HDMI cables and batteries. went to the second store. found some USBs I picked up. Noticed behind the camera they had a few DSs and some 4" generic ipod touches. Asked the cashier about those and she said "they are sold". I asked if you could buy stuff online and do store pick up. "no". so I ask her if some customer bought them and decided to leave them here and pick them up later. "yes". ok, whatever, shady. ask her to plug in the inventory numbers and low and behold, the only inventory left is what is sitting behind the counter. ask her how that can be. "well, that stuff is for employees but we can't buy stuff while we are on shift". so i remind her that no one actually bought it, it is not sold, just being kept by employees for their own. she says "yes". it's shit like this that i do hope the BBV closes. let the shady employees get a good deal before the store closes. at least hide the shit in a cabinet or something. i know, an evil rant, but pissed when employees do this, see it enough at target.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Perhaps at some point it dropped from $199.99 to $149.99. Then the 75% off applied to the $149.99 price. So I guess the Samsung Blu-ray player is the only Blu-ray player on clearance at BBV?[/QUOTE]That's my guess, is that it dropped to 150 before being clearanced out especially since the toshibas that I see at every store are marked 150.

When I went back the samsung was still there and when they rung it up the cashier showed the manager and they looked at the screen with a look on their faces like they were bank tellers who were just handed a bank robber's note to put the money in the bag. There was a long awkward silence while they stared at the screen, so finally I just said "It rang up 37.50, right?" They kinda laughed and said how'd you know? As always when asked that question I gave the usual vague answer of I have a friend who works at another blockbuster that told me about it. The manager ran over and grabbed the toshiba to get a price check. I was curious to see the result, but by that time they had several customers in line and they were taking care of them first.

Anyways, thanks for checking on that Samsung price for me, HB!

[quote name='scoary']went to 2 BBV last night. First one picked up some cheap HDMI cables and batteries. went to the second store. found some USBs I picked up. Noticed behind the camera they had a few DSs and some 4" generic ipod touches. Asked the cashier about those and she said "they are sold". I asked if you could buy stuff online and do store pick up. "no". so I ask her if some customer bought them and decided to leave them here and pick them up later. "yes". ok, whatever, shady. ask her to plug in the inventory numbers and low and behold, the only inventory left is what is sitting behind the counter. ask her how that can be. "well, that stuff is for employees but we can't buy stuff while we are on shift". so i remind her that no one actually bought it, it is not sold, just being kept by employees for their own. she says "yes". it's shit like this that i do hope the BBV closes. let the shady employees get a good deal before the store closes. at least hide the shit in a cabinet or something. i know, an evil rant, but pissed when employees do this, see it enough at target.[/QUOTE]

Really? You hope they close because an employee set items back for themselves for when they get off shift? A thankless, minimum wage job, with minimal benefits? By that logic, I hope all food service businesses close because I disagree with the US's tax + tip system? She should have outright told you that they were an employees' purchase or actually just tossed them in the back, but if it bothers you that much... my suggestion is to go work there so that you can put stuff back when it hits clearance prices.

That being said. I went into my store and found a whole untouched rack of the .99 Blurays today in the back of the store. I wish I had seen them when they were actually .99. Wanted to pick up a few more things that were at 75% that would not have made it to 90% like the nightmare before xmas jenga/blanket, lego star wars pens, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back