The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkvulture']but once i get it can i can't take it right back off ....can i ?

i have not got a madden in like 2 years played last year with my bro in law and he handed my ass to me for first time ever in any game .....i want to shut his mouth up and let him know who the boss is again lol[/QUOTE]
Last time I played a Madden game was at a buddies house n I handed his ass to him. I think the final score was like 42-7.:lol:

But yeah, you should be able to return the game immediately if they make you buy it with the credit.;)

Alright, I think I've got a pretty nice list together; too bad I couldn't go pre-scout any of the stores. Then again, if I have the trouble getting the stores to activate the sales that I'm anticipating, this whole mission could be merely scouting tomorrow! Gonna go hit up a few out of town K-Marts tomorrow, as well, as I've got a few coupons to burn, so maybe the trip will be worthwhile one way or another.

Did we ever determine if this was gonna require a barcode to be scanned (I believe the last sale was like that) or will it be like the old days, where it will automatically ring up (once the sale is 'activated' or whatever)?

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

Yup, good luck everyone tomorrow too. I'm gonna try to stop in 2 BBVs before I go to work. Although, I left one today and the only major game I was hoping to get was Splatterhouse and take another freebie, so unless another drop shipment of games for the sale is coming in, this may be a quieter BOGO for me.

So does anyone know what the deal is yet?

Also since some are giving flipping tricks anyone know a good one to flip at gamestop? They are giving you an extra 30% credit on games applied to preorders. I had an extra GH: WoR from the toyrus deal and got $9.80 for it and put it towards modern warfare 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited to find some good deals today! I got to work early so I can go to a BBV during lunch, then hit up the other three on my way home from work. Good luck everyone!

Figures I have to open at work today and have no chance to hit up any of the stores before. Wish BBV opened at 9! Guess I'll stop by a few after though and see what's left. Wouldn't mind NBA Jam. Loved the SNES version.

Not that I really need any more games with my nearly 120 (disc) game backlog at this point. I intend to make September a gaming marathon (in conjunction with BB's 40% bonus) in an attempt to clear the shelves but every day I keep adding more...

Anyone know of any good 360 games that dropped to $14.99 or less since the last sale? It seems like most of the decent titles are still stuck at $19.99 or above.

We have a problem with the sale already. It is not an auto barcode and they haven't sent us a barcode to scan so u could get an override if they know about the sale or they could just tell you there is no sale if they don't know about it.

Anyone know if the system does the auto discount for the b1g1 or if they still have to scan the barcode? My store is clueless and are telling me they have no paperwork about the sale or so I'm being told.

EDIT:Nvm just saw your post HB.

hmm...that sucks. My stores are usually pretty knowledged on the sales. I wonder if I should call before I waste my lunch break going and getting denied.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']We have a problem with the sale already. It is not an auto barcode and they haven't sent us a barcode to scan so u could get an override if they know about the sale or they could just tell you there is no sale if they don't know about it.[/QUOTE]

Dish Network FTW!

Shot down. I asked about the sale and the lady said it doesn't start till labor day; she was very adamant about that. She got defensive and snappy when I asked her to double check, so I just left. Very disappointed. :(

[quote name='3extremes']Anyone know of any good 360 games that dropped to $14.99 or less since the last sale? It seems like most of the decent titles are still stuck at $19.99 or above. [/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this too, except with all platforms. In other words, are there any additional games that have made it to $14.99 or lesser that aren't listed in the original/first post?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']We have a problem with the sale already. It is not an auto barcode and they haven't sent us a barcode to scan so u could get an override if they know about the sale or they could just tell you there is no sale if they don't know about it.[/QUOTE]
:applause: Well that sucks. Not that I was going to try going to a BBV till a lil later today, but that still sucks.:whistle2:#

So I wonder how long before ALL BBV stores that're staying open have Dish Network reps skulking around them trying to whore out their tv service? So far they haven't put anyone in my closest store(s), unless they just work a certain shift like weekends or something.

Same here but I argued and I'm getting the sale prices today. I wouldnt have been so vocal except another CAG's girlfriend was trying to get in on the sale and she was adamant about the sale being today as well. Not much selection though.

[quote name='could have won']Same here but I argued and I'm getting the sale prices today. I wouldnt have been so vocal except another CAG's girlfriend was trying to get in on the sale and she was adamant about the sale being today as well. Not much selection though.[/QUOTE]

Just wait until HB can confirm that the memo was send out.

Just spoke to my DM and he thinks it starts tomorrow but will let me know in a bit. Sorry guys just going by what they send us under the assumption that its correct but that's what I get for assuming anything with Bbv

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just spoke to my DM and he thinks it starts tomorrow but will let me know in a bit. Sorry guys just going by what they send us under the assumption that its correct but that's what I get for assuming anything with Bbv[/QUOTE]

HB, there is no need to apologize. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Well regardless of start I hope I find a bunch of PS3 games to pick up.
Finally picked up my PS3 two days ago and have finally started playing the PS3 games I picked up at the last sale in preparation for when i got a PS3...didn't think it'd take me this long to get one. lol

Got a question though for anyone else with a PS3. Is it possible to install and run your games off the PS3's HD like on the Xbox360 or can it only be played from the Blu-Ray Drive?

As far as I know, you can't manually install PS3 games to the HDD. Many games require some sort of data install, but you must have the disc in the PS3 to play.

[quote name='izpep']Well regardless of start I hope I find a bunch of PS3 games to pick up.
Finally picked up my PS3 two days ago and have finally started playing the PS3 games I picked up at the last sale in preparation for when i got a PS3...didn't think it'd take me this long to get one. lol

Got a question though for anyone else with a PS3. Is it possible to install and run your games off the PS3's HD like on the Xbox360 or can it only be played from the Blu-Ray Drive?[/QUOTE]

Well this sucks. I drove in to work instead of carpooling for this sale. Not blaming HB at all, he is awesome. Just sucks he got some potentially bad info originally. I guess I will just keep checking for updates before going to the store.

Glad I decided to check the thread before I left. Guess I'll go grocery shopping in the mean time. I still have a couple hours before my first class.

The store I when to,said if there is a promotion it will start tomorrow.Also,I had him scan a few games and Splatterhouse for the PS3 and it was still 19.99.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just spoke to my DM and he thinks it starts tomorrow but will let me know in a bit. Sorry guys just going by what they send us under the assumption that its correct but that's what I get for assuming anything with Bbv[/QUOTE]

No worries, HB! Thank you for all your contributions!

I haven't checked this thread so I missed pages of posts, but don't all Blockbuster sales start on Tuesday? I seem to remember them always beginning then.

It doesn't seem their are alot of games this time that are 14.99 and under.I looked and couldn't find a single one that would be free,except a few old DS and Wii games.

No need to say sorry. Inside information is AWESOME!! I have saved so much on games, I feel like I owe you!

[quote name='smashngrab77']Damn had 6 games and got shut down[/QUOTE]

Should have hid them and at least your effort was have not been in vain... Glad I checked before my lunch break.

someone answer my earlier question. Why did you guys think it started today? Blockbuster sales have never started on a Monday for as long as I can remember. Always started on a Tuesday and end on a Monday.

Man i was ready to do some damage...at least now i can finish compiling my list for flips/trades and checking out inventory....might as well head to target and see how there clearance section is looking...Hawaiiboy good looking out regardless of misinformation.With these sales my backlog continues to grow and maybe its just me but i love looking at my dvd/game shelf and watching it fill up with all these goodies..actually might have to get another one soon..now if BBV would only quit giving those generic dvd/bluray cases.. its messing up the tidiness of my collection! And yes i know where to buy the replacements,just been lazy.

ok, it does suck, but on the scale of things that could go wrong on a monday morning in your life, this is pretty small. so, lets have maybe fewer posts that just complain? thanks HB, I have only recently discovered BBV game sales through this thread, but the couple near me are ghost towns with few games on the shelf.

the austin store on s. congress and oltorf never has anything good, I went last 2 sales and it was a small selection of crap titles. that being said, i will probably go tomorrow anyway and report back.

[quote name='schuerm26']someone answer my earlier question. Why did you guys think it started today? Blockbuster sales have never started on a Monday for as long as I can remember. Always started on a Tuesday and end on a Monday.[/QUOTE]

Because Blockbuster sent a memo that it started today.

[quote name='haywire69']Anybody,got a list of titles 14.99 and under.My store doesn't bother changing the stickers.[/QUOTE]

Check the first post. Also, check the last few dozen posts. It's easy to pick out the posts from HB that list the price drops...

I got done with my meeting this morning too early (like just a little before 9) and was kind of bummed that I'd just have to go into work, rather than hitting a couple of bbv's, since they don't open here until 10. Guess I lucked out. Now I just need to buckle down and get some work done today so I can cut out a little early if this thing is live tomorrow.

yep just went to two bbv's, they said it's on tomorrow. oh wellz. not even that good of stuff at mine so i might just sit this one out now. oh wellz. peace all

One good thing came of my failed trips today: My normal BBV had crap for games, looked like the same ol stuff they've always had. The second, however, had shelves overflowing with games; both ones I wanted to play and ones I want to flip. There's enough for more than just me so I won't feel bad!

Hoorah! Can't wait til tomorrow (assuming it actually DOES start tomorrow).

bread's done
Back