The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had one store honor the deal for me because they said they did have a memo with today's date. Total shutdown after that, though. Back on the trail tomorrow. Didn't see much this time that wasn't there last BOGO so i don't expect much of a haul this time around. Not that I need a good haul, I still have a backlog of over 30 games on the shelf.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just spoke to my DM and he thinks it starts tomorrow but will let me know in a bit. Sorry guys just going by what they send us under the assumption that its correct but that's what I get for assuming anything with Bbv[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize. As someone earlier said, I'd much rather you pass along "inside information" early rather than holding on to it and waiting to see if it's actually 100% true. One day off isn't bad. At least we know it starts tomorrow and that it will require a barcode. You still have a 99.99999999999999999999999% perfect CAG track record. :D

Actually, if you could post the barcode numbers whenever they come in, I bet it would help a lot of people who shop at BBV's where they don't check their memos regularly. :D

We all appreciate the heads up HB. Otherwise, we'd all be looking like chickens with their heads cut off scrambling from one BBV to the next trying to figure out why the sale isn't active.

[quote name='schuerm26']someone answer my earlier question. Why did you guys think it started today? Blockbuster sales have never started on a Monday for as long as I can remember. Always started on a Tuesday and end on a Monday.[/QUOTE]

Didn't those weird 50%, 75%, 90% off sales start on a Monday? Maybe I'm wrong. I know tuesday is the normal day but I'm just saying BBV is a little more unpredictable lately.

Kinda sucks that I have to be at work at 9:30 tomorrow. But I guess the good thing is by the time I'm out, hopefully the local stores will have figured out that the sale has started.

[quote name='newbslice']When you guys go to flip games is there an amount money wise you look for like do you only buy games that give $3 or more back in tiv etc?[/QUOTE]
I think it depends. Like, for me to go out of my way to grab a particular game, it needs to be at least 10 bucks per game (since 60 bucks is worth it to me to deal with the hassle of GS employees hassling you for buying extra copies and BB employees interrogating you about your games), but once i'm in a store and doing a flip, pretty much anything that is +EV is coming with me.

[quote name='Tsel']We all appreciate the heads up HB. Otherwise, we'd all be looking like chickens with their heads cut off scrambling from one BBV to the next trying to figure out why the sale isn't active.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and I wouldn't even have time do be a chicken today. I'm busy the rest of the day and night. It's a good thing I can pretty much clear my schedule on Tuesday. I'm relieved the sale wasn't today after all.

I'm sure all this info is fascinating to everyone. :whistle2:/ sorry.

[quote name='DerClaw']I think it depends. Like, for me to go out of my way to grab a particular game, it needs to be at least 10 bucks per game (since 60 bucks is worth it to me to deal with the hassle of GS employees hassling you for buying extra copies and BB employees interrogating you about your games), but once i'm in a store and doing a flip, pretty much anything that is +EV is coming with me.[/QUOTE]

I've never traded at best buy. Is it a pain?

Definitely starts tomorrow. I got to mine at 10:00 am and only found 2 games to buy. Asked the guy at the front and he is like well I have this huge box we just repriced. I was able to find 14 games at $14.99 or $9.99 I wanted. He goes to ring it up and the computer says coupon not good till 8/30. Anyway he was cool and put my games in a box and said he would hold them for me till tomorrow.

OK, well it looks like my fears were founded. Anyway, that's why I always double check CAG before heading out on a run. Luckily, I am pretty free all week, so I'll be waiting for confirmation tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up, HB...saved me about an hour of unnecessary driving.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I've never traded at best buy. Is it a pain?[/QUOTE]

If you get someone that knows what they're doing, its painless and quick. Now on the other hand if you get someone that is doing it for their first time....ever had a root canal?

wow yeah.. Today was quite a fail. I wonder what happened. I guess it's not so bad since there really wasn't a huge selection to choose from.

anyone know when the next bogo is after this one? I'd rather wait for stock that isn't completely pitiful at my store.

D'oh! And here I got up early to get there first thing and everything ;). Oh well... It was always the case in the past that sales started Tuesday so I had a hunch this might happen.

I can confirm that Splatterhouse (360), N3 II: Ninety-Nine Nights (360) and TRON:Evolution (Both) have dropped to $14.99. Aliens Vs Predators has dropped to $9.99 (360)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I've never traded at best buy. Is it a pain?[/QUOTE]

It's EXTREME YMMV. Some people it's a breeze and only slightly more annoying that going to GS, but for every shop in STL (except for the one that Velo has taken hostage apparently) I'd rather be interrogated by Jack Bauer than one of these BB employees.

[quote name='DerClaw']It's EXTREME YMMV. Some people it's a breeze and only slightly more annoying that going to GS, but for every shop in STL (except for the one that Velo has taken hostage apparently) I'd rather be interrogated by Jack Bauer than one of these BB employees.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it just matters from store to store. The guys at my local BB know me so well they are surprised when I don't not have any games to trade. Otherwise I have not had issues.

Thanks to everyone for the heads up about the late star today. Got up early and about ready to leave, but decided to check CAG for good measure and I feel glad I did now.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah it just matters from store to store. The guys at my local BB know me so well they are surprised when I don't not have any games to trade. Otherwise I have not had issues.[/QUOTE]

I was getting there with my closest BB where there were two gaming guys and they got to know me pretty regular, but then one day they hired a new girl and I had to re-do the whole training thing with her because I had 2x of one game and I finally said "screw it" and stopped going in. I haven't flipped a game to BB in probably 2 months since then (whenever BB was doing that sale on Kinect games).

We'll see how things go tomorrow. Velo's shop is kind of out of my way -- which I guess is fortunate that we're outside of each other's circle of influence, otherwise we'd be battling for deals all the time.

[quote name='newbslice']Anyone care to share the best games at blockbuster to flip If you don't mind I'm in fl[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would flip the games that are selling for less at BBV then they trade in for at BB.

I can also confirm that Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 were at $19.99 so those are good games to combine with a $14.99 game if you need those 2.

I might stop in anyway since I was already headed that direction. I was wanting to pick up a few more blurays before that sale ended so I might go scout my BBV while picking out 5 more blus.

[quote name='destro4eva']Buy as many of these as you can! I flipped enough of them to buy a new whip!

:applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulf01Vg4qqg[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend watches this movie like every other month... and makes me watch it to. Can complain though cuz she never yells about my gaming addiction. I think I am more addicted to buying them then playing.

Manager said it was tomorrow or labor day weekend. She told me I could pick out what I wanted and she would hold it, but id rather enjoy the hunt.

[quote name='newbslice']Anyone care to share the best games at blockbuster to flip If you don't mind I'm in fl[/QUOTE]

Here's the pin to my bank account, you can borrow a few bucks if you need but I need you to pay me back.

I'm OK with the delay in the sale because it's given me time to think about what I really want to get. I've got three stores I want to visit, and I'm just going to methodically go through each one and see what's worth getting. I had planned on going to one store that had a couple of DKCRs and SMG2s, but I'm not going to sweat it if I can't get those games.

So I went into blockbuster today and saw the signs for the buy one get one sale, the signs said buy one game 14.99 and under get one of equal or lesser value free... now does this mean that 19.99 games don't count.:bomb: Also the lady at the counter rang the sale up manually so I got Prototype and Blood Stone for only 14.88, guess she did the transaction wrong. I tried to get Assassins Creed Brotherhood but she said it did not qualify. What gives? Will it qualify tommorrow?

Damn people getting on him pretty hard for asking flips. We're just a LITTLE paranoid about lurkers here aren't we? Any of the lurkers and/or hoarders who would screw things up surely won't stop here...if they don't find it here they will on SD's or any other similar site. Personally I think we should be sharing more. Got somebody like HB who spends TONS of free time typing up lists and stuff here for nothing more than a thanks and knowing he's helped us out. Odd how that sentiment stops at him usually...

Meh, I'm just going to buy games for me to add to the backlog and "eventually" play (I KNOW! Crazy right?!). I Have no care to flip them.

Down to two blockbusters in the area. Guess it'll make this sale easier to check out, at least!

A year ago there were 6 within driving distance. the two that are open are the only two I can think of around here at all anymore.

I wouldn't mind finding a few good flips to pay off skyrim or rage or something on the cheap.

JKSONIC, It's a fair point, but there are some types of information that are not restricted.

If Walmart has a game on sale for $8.96, they aren't going to stop selling it at that price because all of SD, FW, and CAG buy it up. If Blockbuster has a B1G1 sale, they are not going to stop it because all of SD, FW, and CAG go in for the sale.

On the contrary, if a store had Cranium Kabookii Wii (the good ol' days) for $20 TIV and everyone loaded up at Blockbuster to trade those in at whatever store has that TIV, it's going to drop that TIV quickly at least for most places that accept trades. That's why the secrecy is more important, it's protecting your own investment.

If I gave a list to everyone on here of great flips I had found, and that cascades to the other sites, they won't be great flips for long.

[quote name='bardockkun']Meh, I'm just going to buy games for me to add to the backlog and "eventually" play (I KNOW! Crazy right?!). I Have no care to flip them.[/QUOTE]

right on. A true gamer

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']JKSONIC, It's a fair point, but there are some types of information that are not restricted.

If Walmart has a game on sale for $8.96, they aren't going to stop selling it at that price because all of SD, FW, and CAG buy it up. If Blockbuster has a B1G1 sale, they are not going to stop it because all of SD, FW, and CAG go in for the sale.

On the contrary, if a store had Cranium Kabookii Wii (the good ol' days) for $20 TIV and everyone loaded up at Blockbuster to trade those in at whatever store has that TIV, it's going to drop that TIV quickly at least for most places that accept trades. That's why the secrecy is more important, it's protecting your own investment.

If I gave a list to everyone on here of great flips I had found, and that cascades to the other sites, they won't be great flips for long.[/QUOTE]

That's very true, and I can't argue with it at all. I'll just point out though, that you can still do one of two things. Either just make sure to get there day 1 yourself and flip it all right away... Or just announce that you'll share as soon as you flip and get back home to post.

Sorry for double post was two different things...

So do we have an updated list for the cheaper games floating around here someplace at least (if so I'm not seeing it updated in the OP)?

[quote name='Woot1337']May have been asked before, but can I buy a $19.99 game and get a $14.99 game free during the sale?[/QUOTE]

it should work that way based on the info provided by Blockbuster.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cdeener']No! the games have to be $14.99 or less anything higher than that and it won't work.[/QUOTE]

"So the b1g1 starting Monday is the same as last time. Buy ANY priced game and get a game $14.99 or under free. Lower priced game is free. Scored a touchpad. Ok now more tp talk in this thread. Hopefully there will be many price drops tomorrow."

Lol seriously I don't see the big deal in helping someone out with tiv, I'm in a totally different state you act like.I'm your next door neighbor or I'm asking for launch codes for a nuke chill out

[quote name='cdeener']No! the games have to be $14.99 or less anything higher than that and it won't work.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the last BOGO did work this way, and HB has confirmed in this thread that this BOGO will be the same. Buy one game (any game) and get a $14.99 or less game free.

Not the case. HB already posted that this sale (like the last one) includes games of any price. However, the freebie must be $14.99 or less.

edit: too slow

[quote name='spauldingfan']"So the b1g1 starting Monday is the same as last time. Buy ANY priced game and get a game $14.99 or under free. Lower priced game is free. Scored a touchpad. Ok now more tp talk in this thread. Hopefully there will be many price drops tomorrow."[/QUOTE]

Disregard my post. Just read the OP and it should work as long as the second game is less than $14.99.

[quote name='bardockkun']Meh, I'm just going to buy games for me to add to the backlog and "eventually" play (I KNOW! Crazy right?!). I Have no care to flip them.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I mean, it took me 45 minutes to compile a list of 20-25 games worth flipping if I go out tomorrow. If you can't put in 45 minutes of looking, then what are you going to do tomorrow: Walk into BBV with your list, flop on the floor, and yell "somebody find me these games and carry me to best buy!"

It's annoying not be spoon-fed the flips, for sure, but by spoon-feeding you end up with people that can't search threads at all (i.e., the once per page "does bb sell amazon kindle cards with a bb GC?" question in the bb tiv thread).

bread's done
Back