The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I saw a Dark Knight collector's too. Its box was beat to hell. I was like damn, but might get it for $10. lol[/QUOTE]

What store was this at? I saw 1 also and left it because of that.

Can I go in on the spot with some games, set up a trade account and trade them in, and then use that credit on some of the b1g1 games all at once? or is there like a delay in setting up the account at all?

edit: also are the TIVs for current gen games reasonable?

Yep, that's if ur store knows how to set up a trade acct in the first place.

TIV in general suck but if u need me to look anything up feel free to ask.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Yep, that's if ur store knows how to set up a trade acct in the first place.

TIV in general suck but if u need me to look anything up feel free to ask.[/QUOTE]

SUPER street fighter AE

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Yep, that's if ur store knows how to set up a trade acct in the first place.

TIV in general suck but if u need me to look anything up feel free to ask.[/QUOTE]

My manager didn't have me fill anything out, she just looked up my old account and said she'd set it to a trade account while I went to the card to get my game.

Store was real dead today, the cashier mentioned it was slow all day. I came back and those $14.99 along with some solid $19.99 titles didn't move at all...

Didnt really find anything of interest. I wanted Assasin's Creed Brotherhood and Dead Rising 2 but both are $20 so couldnt buy 1 and get 1. Wouldnt mind paying $20 for both or less but not $40. Ended up getting Prince of Persia and Lego Star Wars: Original Trilogy for $6.99 each..so well really only $3.50 each.

[quote name='the8055']I can also vouch for BF:BC2 for $9.99. My BBV had three copies all with that sticker price.[/QUOTE]

Would be nice to find some copies locally though. Nice flips on it.

My first visit to a Blockbuster this sale was pretty uneventful in that they had no goddamn games that I could want for any conceivable reason.

[quote name='sgaldis']I wonder if those BFBC2's were actually mis-labeled with BFBC1 price tags...[/QUOTE]

According to Google Product search the PS3 version, in any case, is $9.99 at BBV.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Would be nice to find some copies locally though. Nice flips on it.[/QUOTE]

Where? It has mediocre Best Buy ($7) and Amazon ($6.75) trade-in value.

Today I went to one store that would be great for late 5 for $20 blu-ray purchasers - IF they knew the actual prices. That's because they had everything mistagged. They still had Despicable Me at $16.99, Toy Story 3 (at least 3 copies) at $12.99, the LOTR movies at $12.99, etc... But I picked all of these up in multiple transactions before. I could have bought less crap to fill out the 5 movies (since I found what I wanted scattered and never more than 3 things at one place) had I waited till I stumbled upon this store though ;).

The games were mostly in the same condition (outdated prices) but they really didn't have much anyway.

[quote name='io']According to Google Product search the PS3 version, in any case, is $9.99 at BBV.

Where? It has mediocre Best Buy ($7) and Amazon ($6.75) trade-in value.

Today I went to one store that would be great for late 5 for $20 blu-ray purchasers - IF they knew the actual prices. That's because they had everything mistagged. They still had Despicable Me at $16.99, Toy Story 3 (at least 3 copies) at $12.99, the LOTR movies at $12.99, etc... But I picked all of these up in multiple transactions before. I could have bought less crap to fill out the 5 movies (since I found what I wanted scattered and never more than 3 things at one place) had I waited till I stumbled upon this store though ;).

The games were mostly in the same condition (outdated prices) but they really didn't have much anyway.[/QUOTE]

Look at certain versions on Amazon ;)

You can find the $15 one.

[quote name='io']Today I went to one store that would be great for late 5 for $20 blu-ray purchasers - IF they knew the actual prices. That's because they had everything mistagged. They still had Despicable Me at $16.99, Toy Story 3 (at least 3 copies) at $12.99, the LOTR movies at $12.99, etc... But I picked all of these up in multiple transactions before. I could have bought less crap to fill out the 5 movies (since I found what I wanted scattered and never more than 3 things at one place) had I waited till I stumbled upon this store though ;).
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't complain. As long as you know the correct prices, their laziness is your gain. I would suspect most people don't take the higher priced movies to the counter to check the price, but just pass them by.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']That is all correct and it starts tomorrow. In addition to that they have a kids pass for $4.99 a month good for any kids/family movie rental AND any kids/family games. 1 item out at a time.
[/QUOTE]

I assume that means E rated games only, right? Still, that might be worth it. If I can get all the new kids movie releases (like Rio, etc) and mix in the occasional game then I can dump the disc service from Netflix. Do I have to bring a kid with me every time to exchange though? That is kind of a pain ;).

[quote name='Optical']Haha... what an idiot. Too bad the signs say "BUY ANY 1 GAME, GET 1 GAME $14.99 AND UNDER FREE." I would have loved to be in there when she said that to you. I would have walked up there and told her she was wrong. ;P[/QUOTE]

Funny thing at my local store - the signage on the door says the sale is for "Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube games". Yeah, they don't have a single one of any of those (and haven't for a while). They just used some really old sign they had I guess...

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Look at certain versions on Amazon ;)

You can find the $15 one.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that version isn't available anywhere (around me at least - just PS3 is). I saw that after I posted. Great in theory, fail in reality ;).

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Look at certain versions on Amazon ;)

You can find the $15 one.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that version isn't available anywhere (around me at least - just PS3 is). I saw that higher value one after I posted. Great in theory, fail in reality...

Just to share a flip or two that may not have been posted, since I did these myself today:

:ps3: Star Wars Republic Heroes $5 -> $8.40
:wii: Marvel Super Hero Squad $5 -> $8.40

No, neither is worth it really in and of themselves, but as filler for B1G1 purchases they are decent (one got me Singularity and the other NBA Jam). The Marvel game in particular is pretty common (one store had 4 or 5 of them), so it makes good filler. We're reaching the point of the sale where any CAG paying any attention should have gotten what they wanted from it. This weekend I am going to go visit a few looking for flips. For the most part it seems there isn't a single other person buying games from the stores I have visited 2 times. So at this point it is no holds barred - though, really, for the most part I won't buy much else anyway. Unlike some here, I never like to push trade-ins so hard. I've done 2 Best Buy trades/preorders and feel like maybe I can do one more without taking it too far (given that SW FU II will be part of all 3 trade-ins ;)).

[quote name='dino88']I wouldn't complain. As long as you know the correct prices, their laziness is your gain. I would suspect most people don't take the higher priced movies to the counter to check the price, but just pass them by.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wasn't complaining at all. What you said was sort of my point ;).

[quote name='io']Yes, but that version isn't available anywhere (around me at least - just PS3 is). I saw that higher value one after I posted. Great in theory, fail in reality ;).

Well, I wasn't complaining at all. What you said was sort of my point ;).[/QUOTE]

Well I have NONE within 1.5 hours of me except at full price. I'd take a PS3 copy for $10 just to play. lol

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Well I have NONE within 1.5 hours of me except at full price. I'd take a PS3 copy for $10 just to play. lol[/QUOTE]

I won't buy it for myself (or my son) because of EA's stupid online policy. I had picked this up from GS a while back (for much more than $10) and my son couldn't play it online on his account because of age restrictions (gotta love GS with their 7-day return policy on used games!). Now I sort of understand that for an M rated game (though, really, the online portion is not that different from Halo Reach which he can play). But then it happened again with NBA Jam and Burnout Paradise - they simply don't allow kids to play online which is asinine. They are the ones who want to play online (I have little interest in that myself). So except for when I really have to have the game, I avoid EA published stuff.

Today was an unlucky day at BBV. Had to drive to the store near my house (2 blocks away) 3 times before someone knows how to set me up for a trader account. Not much effort but was kinda pissed off that they didn't know what to do. Traded in Brink and Hunted (finally played them and they deserved to be traded in). $39 for both. Drove to another BBV that I know have good titles for BB trade in. The guy there didn't know how to do credit transfer and ask me to come back when the store manager gets in. T.T So much work today.

Went to a few BBVs today that were a bit further out. Ended up buying a few things more for flips only because of the distance I drove to see them. Felt like I didn't want to waste all that time for nothing.

But in the end:
Enslaved :ps3: (Complete) -$15
Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story :ds: (game only) - Free ($15)
Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood :ds: (missing manual) - $15
Kingdom Hearts: Recoded :ds: (complete) - Free ($15)
Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics :ds: (game only) - $15
NCAA Football 11 :ps3: (complete) - Free ($15)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think someone mentioned it earlier as $22 each.

Correction:[/QUOTE]

want my credit i was first to bring it to everyone attn that brink and hunted traded for large amount at block buster lol i started this whole trade to bbv thing lol

[quote name='darkvulture']want my credit i was first to bring it to everyone attn that brink and hunted traded for large amount at block buster lol i started this whole trade to bbv thing lol[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:
I have some games I plan to check on tomorrow. I'll add then to the thread if they're good.

[quote name='darkvulture']want my credit i was first to bring it to everyone attn that brink and hunted traded for large amount at block buster lol i started this whole trade to bbv thing lol[/QUOTE]
I thought once Dish took over BBV that they had squashed the trade program completely, but I guess they must not have. If I didn't wanna play Hunted still I'd probably dump it for $22, but I haven't seen anything at the two closer BBV stores by me that I'd want(to flip or otherwise).

EDIT: :whee: I just checked Google Shopping for :ps3:Fallout New Vegas, since I figured that's a game that all of the BBV stores had in droves during the last couple of sales and it brought up a listing for the third BBV by me that I was thinking closed down since the last sale.

[quote name='dinovelvet']So apparently you'll be checking out this sale.[/QUOTE]

Lol, yes. Those were different days, but I was quite busy with school and everything else.
Edit: Deleted those useless posts. Any way a few of the stores claim they have limited stock? Has anyone been able to find anything decent when their store said that for various games?

I assume that means E rated games only, right? Still, that might be worth it. If I can get all the new kids movie releases (like Rio, etc) and mix in the occasional game then I can dump the disc service from Netflix. Do I have to bring a kid with me every time to exchange though? That is kind of a pain .

the kids pass is only for older kids/family movies that are priced at $.99 no new releases and yes the games are E and are mostly WII games. No need to bring a kid every time you go.

I notice some new games this times around for for 360 $14.99

Madden 2010
Splatterhouse
Mind Jack
007 Bloodstone
Tron

So many $20 titles I want hope they drop soon for the next around probably around Thanksgiving.

Have to take my father to the VA today, going to check out the location near there,a couple minutes away, I hope they are as informed as my local store. I am the only one who has bought games at my local store and pretty much got most of the good stuff, which wasnt too much. I'm with buster, would love for some of these $19.99's to drop, so much at my store to flip with those.

Oh for those of you waiting for an awesome deal for Bioshock 2 to add to your backlog like me, found a store near me that had some in stock. $9.99, so $5 out the door was too good for me to pass up.

It was strange every store has been out of stock for the last 1 or 2 B1G1 sales then all the sudden this store has about 12 of them. It's the Stringtown Rd one in Columbus, Oh if anyone is interested in grabbing one. Mine literally looked like it was opened the day before and set out. I have seen sealed games in worse condition then this one. I also left 2 NBA Jams there as of yesterday at 8pm, along with some other great games that most of the BBV didn't have around me. 3-4 of each AA titles that I would hate to flip and don't have a ton of profit margin anyway. Also the Cemetary Rd. one has awesome CS and a decent inventory of non-flip games (AKA games that only have decent profit margin but are great to add to any collection) not to mention a stack of MoH LEs with the Battlefield 3 Beta Keys.

Anyone think either the Crysis 2 or Mortal Kombat guides would be beneficial enough to warrant an approximately $6.50 purchase?

Thanks for all the tips on games to look up.

Snagged 2x Megamind for 9.99
And 2x Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 for 14.99

All in all managed 36 spent to get Sims 3 Generations for my fiancee and Madden 12 for myself at bb. :)

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Oh for those of you waiting for an awesome deal for Bioshock 2 to add to your backlog like me, found a store near me that had some in stock. $9.99, so $5 out the door was too good for me to pass up.

It was strange every store has been out of stock for the last 1 or 2 B1G1 sales then all the sudden this store has about 12 of them. It's the Stringtown Rd one in Columbus, Oh if anyone is interested in grabbing one. Mine literally looked like it was opened the day before and set out. I have seen sealed games in worse condition then this one. I also left 2 NBA Jams there as of yesterday at 8pm, along with some other great games that most of the BBV didn't have around me. 3-4 of each AA titles that I would hate to flip and don't have a ton of profit margin anyway. Also the Cemetary Rd. one has awesome CS and a decent inventory of non-flip games (AKA games that only have decent profit margin but are great to add to any collection) not to mention a stack of MoH LEs with the Battlefield 3 Beta Keys.[/QUOTE]

Bioshock 2 was $9.99 new at gamestop for the longest time.

For those who pick up megamind as trade fodder, the game is a simple but fun platformer and is very quick. I 1000/1000 the achievements for it in less than 5 hours. Worth playing the night you buy and trading in the next morn. Medal of Honor is also very quick, Singularity is longer than the other two but not very, Star Wars Force Unleashed II is short and awful (lowest rated game on my site so far). All of them could easily be played through before traded. Just an FYI.

So the one store I went to yesterday I picked up two copies of Madden 11 and a PS3 version of Tron along with some other 360 games for flips. The woman was confused why I was buying two copies of Madden (told her "need someone to play with...") and wanted to double check that I knew I was buying two copies of the same game and that one was for PS3. Some people really are clueless as to what is going on

Unrelated, but just tried the codes I snagged for Bullestorm online pass and one actually worked! Awesome.

[quote name='bgame2']Anyone think either the Crysis 2 or Mortal Kombat guides would be beneficial enough to warrant an approximately $6.50 purchase?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to Crysis, but I would avoid the MK guide like the plague. I recall reading several articles about the guide having a lot of misinformation/wrong moves printed in it, and the people who bought them were (justifiably) pissed. IIRC, Brady, the publisher, just shrugged their shoulders and were like "Hey. Whattaya gonna do? Recalls are expensive for us, it is what it is." Google it, or see if the Amazon reviews are still up.

[quote name='brianace']I can't speak to Crysis, but I would avoid the MK guide like the plague. I recall reading several articles about the guide having a lot of misinformation/wrong moves printed in it, and the people who bought them were (justifiably) pissed. IIRC, Brady, the publisher, just shrugged their shoulders and were like "Hey. Whattaya gonna do? Recalls are expensive for us, it is what it is." Google it, or see if the Amazon reviews are still up.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that about the mk guide. As for crysis 2 fps shouldn't need guides period. Just point, shoot and cover to be successfull (and mix some nano suit abilities here and there).

Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update hb. To bad there is nothing for me here

Hmm...I have two PS Move controllers. Guess I can see how bad The Fight really is for myself. WFC is also tempting.

Thanks hawaiiboy.

[quote name='TheHelix']Hmm...I have two PS Move controllers. Guess I can see how bad The Fight really is for myself. WFC is also tempting.

Thanks hawaiiboy.[/QUOTE]

I would stay far away from The Fight. It was by far one of the worst games that I have ever played for the Move. It didn't work that well, and I didn't even make it pass the intro moves set. It's not worth your time. Pick up something else! Lol

[quote name='strait edge follower']Thanks for the update hb. To bad there is nothing for me here[/QUOTE]

More like too bad it relies on the BBV employees accepting the changes asap so you can actually take advantage of the new 14.99 games.

bread's done
Back