The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Dallas right now at an anime convention so hopefully on Monday I can try to hit up a store or two around here. Splatterhouse ps3 would drop to $15 after I had the issue, wouldn't it?

Hawaiiboy, can you please look up the TIV for Halo Reach? I'm interested in trading in either the "regular" edition and/or the "limited" edition.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this thread.

I am very interested in that new Game Pass promo. Seems to read (and sorry if I sound a bit slow) that its $15 for the pass and all the games you rent during that time are either 1.99 or .99. Yes?

P.S. I would jump all over Battlefield 2 for $10, well worth it.

Crunched a lot o' math and that promo price of the Game Pass is WORSE then the normal $21.99 price for the Game Pass.

If you rent only a couple games under the $15 Game Pass (+ $3 per new release), you end up paying more then you do when you just pay $21.99 for the normal Game Pass and pay nothing additionally for each rental. You can rent 100 games with the $21.99 Game Pass and get great value out of it, but with the "promo Game Pass" the fact that you pay for each new release IN ADDITION to the $15 for the Game Pass kills the deal.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I only looked through the past four or five pages in regards to Game Pass info.

Damn. Pretty much exhausted the more "reasonable" distanced blockbusters that had NOTHING left. Now I have to figure out whether it's worth the gamble to drive WAY out there and maybe hit paydirt.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Crunched a lot o' math and that promo price of the Game Pass is WORSE then the normal $21.99 price for the Game Pass.

If you rent only a couple games under the $15 Game Pass (+ $3 per new release), you end up paying more then you do when you just pay $21.99 for the normal Game Pass and pay nothing additionally for each rental. You can rent 100 games with the $21.99 Game Pass and get great value out of it, but with the "promo Game Pass" the fact that you pay for each new release IN ADDITION to the $15 for the Game Pass kills the deal.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I only looked through the past four or five pages in regards to Game Pass info.[/QUOTE]

Uhm. what math are you talking about. The 14.99 unlimited game/movie pass (1 at a time) works for new releases without a surcharge (new games and movies are included).... so where is this $3 surcharge coming from?

[quote name='dyeknom']Uhm. I think you have promotions confused? The student pass (7.99) has a surcharge for new releases. The 14.99 unlimited game/movie pass (1 at a time) works for new releases without a surcharge.[/QUOTE]

....nobody mentioned that the promotion for that price was the Student Pass, it read to me like it was the Game Pass.

So you're saying (for final confirmation) that they are running a promo on the Game Pass for $14.99 with no additional charges for game rentals?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']....nobody mentioned that the promotion for that price was the Student Pass, it read to me like it was the Game Pass.

So you're saying (for final confirmation) that they are running a promo on the Game Pass for $14.99 with no additional charges for game rentals?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dyeknom']

The pricing was explained to be a $7.50 introductory price for the first month with a 14.99 (down from their original price of like 24.99) recurring monthly charge for their 1-at-a-time in-store. This includes both movies and games and once a month you will get a coupon code for an online rental as well. The employees will also receive an incentive for signing you up (so dont pick the douchey employee). Cancel any time.
[quote name='hawaiiboy']That is all correct and it starts tomorrow. In addition to that they have a kids pass for $4.99 a month good for any kids/family movie rental AND any kids/family games. 1 item out at a time.

Also a student pass just have to show a valid student ID. $7.99 month good for any $1.99 movie or less blu ray excluded and includes $.99 games. 1 item out at a time.

Also a senior citizen/public servant discount which gets you a 50% discount on $1.99 rentals and $.99 game rentals from 11am-3pm mon-fri.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Cheers dyeknom, I wasn't too familar with it considering I have found little use for BBV up until very recently. Thanks![/QUOTE]

In the end, it's a flat 14.99, autodraft off your debit card. A lot of people complain about their selection because it's mostly newer games... but it's great for those who arent looking to sink 60.00 into a new title that lasts 4-5 hours. Personally, we're going to sign up this weekend because at 7.50, i'll try it. I probably wont renew it, but we're going to spend 7.50 on xmen first class and a few new releases... may as well spring for an extra couple of dollars and get unlimited games while im at it.

My local blockbuster gets a lot of the new releases in on the day they come out, so I think this is a great way to pick up titles and try them out without dumping full price on a game that may or may not be good.

P.S. One last question, since Blockbuster doesn't answer it. If I buy a Game Pass at Location X, can I use it in Location Z? (Lets say they are both "participating locations").

Finally got around to going to Blockbuster today, didn't think they would have much this late in the sale... I was wrong.

Picked up:
:ps3: Enslaved $14.99
:360: Medal of Honor FREE

Might go back again tomorrow and pick up a couple more games. I wasn't too thorough today so I might find some more good games.

EDIT: Just checked the Online Pass Code and it was unused, nice bonus!

[quote name='PublikDefender']As far as ps3 move games go, make sure you get dead space 2 limited edition ($19.99) during this sale. i've been playing Extraction for a couple of hours and it is awesome. Also make sure you get The Shoot $14.99 as part of this sale. It is also an on-rails light gun shooter, and it is short/succinct. Paid $7.99 for the shoot, had a blast beating the campaign, and it is off to amazon w/ a tiv of $11. And you can't beat that with a bat...er...light gun![/QUOTE]

I got DS2 LE from Sears a couple months ago. DS:E is a blast. One of my favorite rail shooters. A little slower than your run of the mill rail shooter, but it's because EA did a good job in fleshing out the backstory.

I Also picked up The Shoot from this B1G1. Not a bad game, and it's family friendly for my 5 year old nephew. Only thing I can do now is pray for a HOTD collection for PS Move, or a Police Trainer release on PSN.

[quote name='icarusmight']I'm sure it does^. HB do you know if there are any price drops for Monday? Would the B1G1 still be in effect for any new drops?[/QUOTE]

Search a couple pages back he posted the drops and yes they will be effective Monday for the last day of the sale.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99[/QUOTE]

To save you the trouble of flipping 3 pages back ;)

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99[/QUOTE]

*bump*

[quote name='Jimmienoman']To save you the trouble of flipping 3 pages back ;)[/QUOTE]

dammit, i literally just picked up kirby a few hours ago. at least i got it with force unleashed ii to flip to best buy, but still, $5 is $5....anyone think price adjustments are even possible at blockbuster, or am out the difference?

Epic Mickey trades in for $14 base at Best Buy ladies and gentlemen. I think that about the best flip right now instead of FU2 at $12.

Might grab Lego Star Wars 3 and Epic Mickey.

I picked up some ds games complete w/ manuals, all in near mint condition:

Dragon Quest 4 ds $4.99
Dragon Quest 5 ds $4.99
Kingdom Hearts re coded ds $14.99
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days ds $14.99

I've never played any dragon quest or kingdom hearts games before. So far, I'm loving the dragon quest games and hating the kingdom hearts games. Should I just get rid of the kingdom hearts games since they have decent tiv ($12 & $7)?

I need some advice regarding Dragon Quest 5 ds.

Even though Dragon quest 5 has a great tiv value ($14.85), do you guys think I should keep it? Is Dragon Quest 5 really the best DQ game ever made, as google and internet user reviews have left me to believe? I just started it so I'm not yet sure if it is truly a masterpiece.

DQ V is an excellent game, yes. Is it the best DQ game, though? I'm not so sure. DQ IX is pretty damn solid. I put 160 hours into that sucker myself. So as long as your intention was to buy DQ IX with the proceeds, maybe trading it in for nearly $15 isn't a bad idea.

[quote name='Abeja']Epic Mickey trades in for $14 base at Best Buy ladies and gentlemen. I think that about the best flip right now instead of FU2 at $12.

Might grab Lego Star Wars 3 and Epic Mickey.[/QUOTE]

I was going to check for Epic Mickey, but I already trades in two copies earlier in the year. Anyways, I'm glad I checked out this deal! I was only able to find TFU2 and NBA Jam. The cashier only charged me $9.99 since she had to take the two Madden 11 games off. Rang up $20 a piece. I traded in TFU2 even though it was a little scratched. Then my coworker noticed I had a copy of NBA Jam, and he'd told me was going to buy it for $18.20. Pretty good turnout! I'm going to check another BBV in the morning and go from there.

[quote name='io']DQ V is an excellent game, yes. Is it the best DQ game, though? I'm not so sure. DQ IX is pretty damn solid. I put 160 hours into that sucker myself. So as long as your intention was to buy DQ IX with the proceeds, maybe trading it in for nearly $15 isn't a bad idea.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. I'll take my time with DQ V since the story seems awesome and heartwarming. I'll trade in the two kingdom hearts to amazon.

So has anyone actually had success informing a BBV employee about the new need to accept price drops? 3 of the 4 I've been to had outdated prices or had them stickered correctly but still rang up wrong and then looked really baffled. Granted, I always get the sticker price thanks to manual price adjustment, but when I try and let them know why the price is different they insist "that's not how it works."

I feel weird trying to inform them on their own jobs so I never press too hard. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Luuc']So has anyone actually had success informing a BBV employee about the new need to accept price drops? 3 of the 4 I've been to had outdated prices or had them stickered correctly but still rang up wrong and then looked really baffled. Granted, I always get the sticker price thanks to manual price adjustment, but when I try and let them know why the price is different they insist "that's not how it works."

I feel weird trying to inform them on their own jobs so I never press too hard. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The guy at my place rung up a game (Dead Space 2) and saw it was more expensive than it should be, so he just went over to the other register and put in the updated price right then.

[quote name='Abeja']Epic Mickey trades in for $14 base at Best Buy ladies and gentlemen. I think that about the best flip right now instead of FU2 at $12.

Might grab Lego Star Wars 3 and Epic Mickey.[/QUOTE]

At the BB I went to Epic Mickey was 19.99. So 2 Epic Mickeys would be 24.99 with a trade in of 28, but SWFU 2 would be 14.99 with trade in of 24.

[quote name='JKSonic']The guy at my place rung up a game (Dead Space 2) and saw it was more expensive than it should be, so he just went over to the other register and put in the updated price right then.[/QUOTE]

How much is Dead Space 2? I'm hitting up another store to see what they have.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']dammit, i literally just picked up kirby a few hours ago. at least i got it with force unleashed ii to flip to best buy, but still, $5 is $5....anyone think price adjustments are even possible at blockbuster, or am out the difference?[/QUOTE]

No price adjust and no refund. Exchange for same product

May have to pick up mickey and Kirby!

[quote name='PublikDefender']I picked up some ds games complete w/ manuals, all in near mint condition:

Dragon Quest 4 ds $4.99
Dragon Quest 5 ds $4.99
Kingdom Hearts re coded ds $14.99
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days ds $14.99

I've never played any dragon quest or kingdom hearts games before. So far, I'm loving the dragon quest games and hating the kingdom hearts games. Should I just get rid of the kingdom hearts games since they have decent tiv ($12 & $7)?

I need some advice regarding Dragon Quest 5 ds.

Even though Dragon quest 5 has a great tiv value ($14.85), do you guys think I should keep it? Is Dragon Quest 5 really the best DQ game ever made, as google and internet user reviews have left me to believe? I just started it so I'm not yet sure if it is truly a masterpiece.[/QUOTE]
wow. That is a awesome deal on dragon quest. I wouldnt trade it

[quote name='bigkniff']At the BB I went to Epic Mickey was 19.99. So 2 Epic Mickeys would be 24.99 with a trade in of 28, but SWFU 2 would be 14.99 with trade in of 24.[/QUOTE]

Sigh... Hawaiinboy posted Monday's price drops, which included Epic Mickey.

NBA Jam is still the best trade in this time around, Singularity is a close 2nd, but Epic Mickey is solid come Monday.

[quote name='bigkniff']At the BB I went to Epic Mickey was 19.99. So 2 Epic Mickeys would be 24.99 with a trade in of 28, but SWFU 2 would be 14.99 with trade in of 24.[/QUOTE]

He is referring to Epic Mickey dropping to 14.99 on Monday.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Sigh... Hawaiinboy posted Monday's price drops, which included Epic Mickey.

NBA Jam is still the best trade in this time around, Singularity is a close 2nd, but Epic Mickey is solid come Monday.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell him. Failing at math when trying to flip shouldn't be corrected. If he was trying to buy them then by all means tell him the best deal. We should post a "No feeding the flippers" sign.

So 2 Epic Mickeys would be 19.99 with a trade in of 28 as of today.

On the next price drop, 2 Epic Mickeys would be 14.99 with a trade in of 28 as of today.

[quote name='Readthepost']So 2 Epic Mickeys would be 19.99 with a trade in of 28 as of today.

On the next price drop, 2 Epic Mickeys would be 14.99 with a trade in of 28 as of today.[/QUOTE]

BBV promo B1G1 ($15 or less...)
U can get a$19.99 and a free $15 game....Not a $19.99.

Wait until Monday to see if the BB still holds.

About time to add 2 great games to my Wii Collection!

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Sigh... Hawaiinboy posted Monday's price drops, which included Epic Mickey.

NBA Jam is still the best trade in this time around, Singularity is a close 2nd, but Epic Mickey is solid come Monday.[/QUOTE]

NBA Jam dropped down to $10 from $13.

[quote name='The Punisher']BBV promo B1G1 ($15 or less...)
U can get a$19.99 and a free $15 game....Not a $19.99.

Wait until Monday to see if the BB still holds.

About time to add 2 great games to my Wii Collection![/QUOTE]
:bomb: I thinking incorrectly.

Epic $19.99
SWU2 Free
Epic $19.99
SWU2 Free

Trade in at Best buy
2 Epics total 28
2 SWU2s total 24

then plus the bonus.
:cry:

Hawaiiboy, can you please look up the TIV for Halo Reach? I'm interested in trading in either the "regular" edition and/or the "limited" edition.

$8 for regular. We don't take the limited or collectors edition.

E
P.S. One last question, since Blockbuster doesn't answer it. If I buy a Game Pass at Location X, can I use it in Location Z? (Lets say they are both "participating locations").
It's only good at the location u purchase the pass at.

[quote name='Readthepost']:bomb: I thinking incorrectly.

Epic $19.99
SWU2 Free
Epic $19.99
SWU2 Free

Trade in at Best buy
2 Epics total 28
2 SWU2s total 24

then plus the bonus.
:cry:[/QUOTE]

Could pick up 2xSWFU2 today, and then get Mickey on monday. I'm waiting until Monday for Mickey my self.

*********UPDATE*********

B1G1 sale extended to Monday 9/12. So whoever said they heard that the other day was correct.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']*********UPDATE*********

B1G1 sale extended to Monday 9/12. So whoever said they heard that the other day was correct.[/QUOTE]

Yesssssssss thanks Hawaiiboy.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']*********UPDATE*********

B1G1 sale extended to Monday 9/12. So whoever said they heard that the other day was correct.[/QUOTE]
:bomb: Damn you, Dish Network. Now if my local stores actually do conversions or get some decent stock in before this sales over I'm gonna be more tempted to add to the backlog.

bread's done
Back