The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I would stay far away from The Fight. It was by far one of the worst games that I have ever played for the Move. It didn't work that well, and I didn't even make it pass the intro moves set. It's not worth your time. Pick up something else! Lol[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should wait for $5 or less then? I bought Kung Fu Rider for $3 at Sears lol

Either way I am so buying HOTD Overkill Extended Cut next month.

HB or whomever is doing trading lately: I was thinking that since they did away with GCs, how would you "mobilize" your trade credit? In the past, I'd just have them move the credit from my account to a GC. Or are you now stuck with credit only at that store you traded you stuff into?

[quote name='bob330i']HB or whomever is doing trading lately: I was thinking that since they did away with GCs, how would you "mobilize" your trade credit? In the past, I'd just have them move the credit from my account to a GC. Or are you now stuck with credit only at that store you traded you stuff into?[/QUOTE]
So when I traded in my games, I get credit for that specific store only. But I was told that I can go to another store, have the store manager call my original store and they can have the credits transferred over. I don't know if it has to be a store manager, but that's what I was told.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:360:

Test drive unlimited $14.99
[/QUOTE]

I think you mean TDU2 ? Thanks for the info.

[quote name='kouleefoh']So when I traded in my games, I get credit for that specific store only. But I was told that I can go to another store, have the store manager call my original store and they can have the credits transferred over. I don't know if it has to be a store manager, but that's what I was told.[/QUOTE]

That's consistent from what I heard when some employees didn't know about the GC option. Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective monday 9/5 also the last day of the b1g1 sale

:wii:
Epic Mickey $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99[/QUOTE]

Well Mr. Wii, it looks like you're about to get dusted off. Thanks, hawaiiboy. :D

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Child of Eden TIV $22[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the info at the front of the thread which states that BBV only updates the TIVs on either sunday or monday is correct? (in other words, do I need to hurry up if I want to do this or can I do it safely sometime tomorrow)

Thanks for the update HB!

Looks like I'll finally be getting Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn. I'm thinking of coupling TDU2 with another game, but I'm unsure of the other game.

[quote name='Tsel']Thanks for the update HB!

Looks like I'll finally be getting Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn. I'm thinking of coupling TDU2 with another game, but I'm unsure of the other game.[/QUOTE]

I never tired EM, since people complained about the cameras so much and that kind of thing bugs me to death, but I really liked KEY. If you don't think KEY is cute and fun, then something's wrong with that part of your brain ;)

[quote name='DerClaw']I never tired EM, since people complained about the cameras so much and that kind of thing bugs me to death, but I really liked KEY. If you don't think KEY is cute and fun, then something's wrong with that part of your brain ;)[/QUOTE]

I've heard nothing but good things about Kirby's Epic Yarn. I've heard nothing but bad things about Epic Mickey. I'd like to try it out for myself, but if there's anything else I can couple Kirby with, I might have to do that instead.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Michael Jackson
:ps3: $17
:360: $15[/QUOTE]
Hawaiiboy, I was told by one store that i can transfer my credit to another store, but the other stores now claims that they don't do it. What's my option at this point?

Last night, found a store that had 3x the selection of any of the other local stores.

Picked up:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
SWFU2 x 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Dante's Inferno
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Lego Rock Band x 2

Flipped 'em at BB with the other SWFU2 I'd picked up earlier for a nice turn-around.

I asked about the pre-paid VISA pay-out, and they said it would only be at like 70% of the TIV, and wouldn't qualify for the 40% boost with a pre-order... so store credit seems like really the only way to go at BB.

HawaiiBoy: HB Customer service line, how can we help you?

DerClaw: Yeah, I was in a BBV and traded in a game and then tried to buy a MS Point card, but when it rung up the CSR said that the computer was saying "can't be sold on an account with a negative balance." The manager then needed to do some weird thing where she said she was taking 19.99 out of my balance and then selling the card to a nonmember account.

HB: I see, so what your are calling about today is that "you were in a BBV and traded in a game and then tried to buy a MS Point card, but when it rung up the CSR said that the computer was saying 'can't be sold on an account with a negative balance.' And that the manager then needed to do some weird thing where she said she was taking 19.99 out of your balance and then selling the card to a nonmember account"

DC: Yes, is there some way that they can ring it up easier, in case I try to trade at a BBV with a less knowledgeable staff?

HB: [to be filled in by HawaiiBoy]

[quote name='reapersaurus']

I asked about the pre-paid VISA pay-out, and they said it would only be at like 70% of the TIV, and wouldn't qualify for the 40% boost with a pre-order... so store credit seems like really the only way to go at BB.[/QUOTE]

There's something wrong with you, my friend.

Hawaiiboy, I was told by one store that i can transfer my credit to another store, but the other stores now claims that they don't do it. What's my option at this point?

Normally stores don't transfer credit between stores so ask the store that said they would to call the store that wouldn't and see if they decide to do it. It's managers discretion but most dont/won't do it

IO: You might want to update the trading section of the OP since transferring credit on account to a GC isn't offered anymore. Also based on HB's response above, you might want to mention that store to store transfer is YMMV.

[quote name='DerClaw']Do you know if the info at the front of the thread which states that BBV only updates the TIVs on either sunday or monday is correct? (in other words, do I need to hurry up if I want to do this or can I do it safely sometime tomorrow)[/QUOTE]

Per the OP:

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at both Blockbuster and Gamerush, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Sunday with trade-in price drops following the next day (Monday). Thus any quotes given in this thread will almost certainly be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

:ps3:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
F1: 2010 $19.99
Gran turismo 5 $34.99
Little big planet 2 $29.99
Portal 2 $24.99
Shift 2 unleashed $24.99
Splatterhouse $14.99
Transformers war for cybertron $14.99
Wwe smckadown vs raw 2011 $19.99
Move start the party $14.99
Move fight lights out $14.99

:360:
Dragon age 2 $24.99
Lego star wars III $29.99
Test drive unlimited $14.99
Two worlds 2 $19.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $19.99

:wii:
Call of duty black ops $24.99
Epic Mickey $14.99
Guitar hero warriors $14.99
Kirby epic yarn $14.99
Www smackdown vs raw 2011 $14.99[/QUOTE]

Really gonna be tempted to get Dragon age 2 now. Thanks for update

So I just came back from getting my $10 Child of Eden and the 1.49 BBV Matinee Special (20 oz Coke product + 1.99 movie for 1.49) and the manager told me they started a new special. One movie/game out for 30 days for 14.99 each month, but they're doing a promotion that started today for this deal that makes it 7.49 for the first month. You can cancel before the 14.99 rate after two weeks. I forgot to ask if 2.99 new releases were included, but the 1.99/day games alone make it worth the deal. I may keep this subscription after the promotional month is over. Hawaiiboy, is this a universal thing?

[quote name='TheHelix']So I just came back from getting my $10 Child of Eden and the 1.49 BBV Matinee Special (20 oz Coke product + 1.99 movie for 1.49) and the manager told me they started a new special. One movie/game out for 30 days for 14.99 each month, but they're doing a promotion that started today for this deal that makes it 7.49 for the first month. You can cancel before the 14.99 rate after two weeks. I forgot to ask if 2.99 new releases were included, but the 1.99/day games alone make it worth the deal. I may keep this subscription after the promotional month is over. Hawaiiboy, is this a universal thing?[/QUOTE]

Few pages ago, yes.

[quote name='bob330i']Per the OP:

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at both Blockbuster and Gamerush, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Sunday with trade-in price drops following the next day (Monday). Thus any quotes given in this thread will almost certainly be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I saw that -- which is why I mentioned it in my post -- I just wanted to confirm that it's still up to date, since some parts of that post are clearly not up to date.

How much does Bulletstorm go for?

Also if you do a trade at Blockbuster is the credit only good for the store I did the trade in or can I go to a different Blockbuster if the 1st 1 doesn't have what I want?

Trade-in prices are usually universal at both Blockbuster and Gamerush, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Sunday with trade-in price drops following the next day (Monday). Thus any quotes given in this thread will almost certainly be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

I really don't know when trade in prices update anymore since we never to trades anymore

Came in to get a few more games to trade in, another guy came after me, so I let him pick out what he wanna buy first. Still manage to find some decent flips afterward.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']yes we can see back about 6 months.

I forgot to mention starting tomorrow the game pass has an introductory price of $14.99 for the first month.

unless we got an email tonight the last communication I saw was the sale ends on Monday 9/5.[/QUOTE]

Damn, does this include trade history from other stores?

[quote name='DerClaw']There's something wrong with you, my friend.[/QUOTE]
You know, you could inform me about what easy information I'm lacking instead of being a dick.

I read CAGers saying they got a VISA pre-paid card (I can find the quote if you'd like), inquired at BB if it existed, and got and relayed the details, in case anyone else was interested in getting cash instead of store credit.

[quote name='reapersaurus']You know, you could inform me about what easy information I'm lacking instead of being a dick.

I read CAGers saying they got a VISA pre-paid card (I can find the quote if you'd like), inquired at BB if it existed, and got and relayed the details, in case anyone else was interested in getting cash instead of store credit.[/QUOTE]

You find me a single post saying that people were trading in games and being "issued a visa GC" like you stated in your previous post and I will do the following:
1. Apologize profusely.
2. Send you my phone number.
3. Let you call me and I will walk you through a trade in process such that you can get a Visa GC from your trade in over the phone.
4. Apologize again.

There are 3 or 4 different times in that thread where the process for getting a visa GC is walked through extensively. If you for some reason thought that they "issued visa GC for trade ins" then I have no idea how to help you through this process over a message board.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware that CAG'rs are getting these cards. I have quite a few used up ones on my desk.

[quote name='bob330i']Per the OP:

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at both Blockbuster and Gamerush, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Sunday with trade-in price drops following the next day (Monday). Thus any quotes given in this thread will almost certainly be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that info may not be valid any more. That's the way it used to work 2 years ago...

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I really don't know when trade in prices update anymore since we never to trades anymore[/QUOTE]

See, even HB doesn't know for sure ;).

erClaw: Yeah, I was in a BBV and traded in a game and then tried to buy a MS Point card, but when it rung up the CSR said that the computer was saying "can't be sold on an account with a negative balance." The manager then needed to do some weird thing where she said she was taking 19.99 out of my balance and then selling the card to a nonmember account.

sorry I don't have answer for you as I have never come across or heard of that before. That is really strange. I understand what she did to sell it to you but I don't know why it happened in the first place.

so many flips this week i flipped for over 350 bucks this week between gamestop and bbv and bestbuy only spend 60 bucks out of pocket to start the flip fest came away with 235 bucks of pre-paid card i got with my best buy gift cards

was on my way home from my last best buy flip and stopped at best buy and picked up

smackdown vs raw 11 ( rang up and marked 24.99)

swfu2( free ) i'm going to keep this one want to play the game

and picked up a gamepass while it was on sale for 7 bucks so spent a total of 33 bucks

so to end my flip week with just over 200 bucks cash a bunch of new games and a bbv pass so i can get dead island and whatever else come out this month....no bad for only 60 bucks out of pocket so thats 140$ profit

[quote name='reapersaurus']You know, you could inform me about what easy information I'm lacking instead of being a dick.

I read CAGers saying they got a VISA pre-paid card (I can find the quote if you'd like), inquired at BB if it existed, and got and relayed the details, in case anyone else was interested in getting cash instead of store credit.[/QUOTE]

you can thats what i did and can't be happier

You trade in for CREDITS, WALK TO THE FRONT, BUY PREPAID GIFT CARD. WALK AWAY.

[quote name='TheHelix']Maybe I should wait for $5 or less then? I bought Kung Fu Rider for $3 at Sears lol

Either way I am so buying HOTD Overkill Extended Cut next month.[/QUOTE]
As far as ps3 move games go, make sure you get dead space 2 limited edition ($19.99) during this sale. i've been playing Extraction for a couple of hours and it is awesome. Also make sure you get The Shoot $14.99 as part of this sale. It is also an on-rails light gun shooter, and it is short/succinct. Paid $7.99 for the shoot, had a blast beating the campaign, and it is off to amazon w/ a tiv of $11. And you can't beat that with a bat...er...light gun!

Probably an obvious question...but if a Blockbuster that I went to during the July B1G1 now no longer shows up on the store locator, it's probably closed down, right?

bread's done
Back