The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DerClaw']The people that are smart enough to run companies in a profitable and reasonable way are the ones that are too smart to put up with all the BS politics you have to do to get those positions.[/QUOTE]

Actually some companies are smart enough to know how much bull shit that a customer will take before they take their business else where, just look at GameStop. They know the average customer just comes in and buys the game. Any one else has to put up with "that's the online price only" or other crap. And everyone has to deal with bull shit like "want to preorder..."

You also have to think Blockbuster probably has a high turnover rate for the low level employees. Plus some people just don't give a shit, and managers keep them because training someone new would be a headache. Plus good employees probably move on to greener pastures because their goals are more than just standing around being a warm body. I'm lucky to have good people at the blockbusters I frequent. They check stuff if I ask a question, and I chat them up about stuff.

[quote name='DerClaw']HawaiiBoy,

Are people allowed to buy MS Points cards with store credit? It happened again tonight that it would not let the clerk ring it up and she then pretended to call a manager and said that Microsoft won't let them sell the cards with store credit.[/QUOTE]

I can answer that: you can't purchase any giftcards(not just MS Points/Live cards) with store credit. It pops up a message that you can't purchase gift cards with an account that has a negative balance.

[quote name='dabamus']I can answer that: you can't purchase any giftcards(not just MS Points/Live cards) with store credit. It pops up a message that you can't purchase gift cards with an account that has a negative balance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just wanted to see if that was something here not working right or an actual policy. Wonder if it will change after the 12 (or whenever the gift card thing starts). Either way, this credit will go nicely with cancelling the disc-netflix if I ever get around to doing that.

[quote name='DerClaw']Thanks. Just wanted to see if that was something here not working right or an actual policy. Wonder if it will change after the 12 (or whenever the gift card thing starts). Either way, this credit will go nicely with cancelling the disc-netflix if I ever get around to doing that.[/QUOTE]

They're going to restart gift cards again? I know of 2 places that still sell BBV gift cards. Would hate to be the one who buys them.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']They're going to restart gift cards again? I know of 2 places that still sell BBV gift cards. Would hate to be the one who buys them.[/QUOTE]
I think last time I checked both Kmart and Walmart still sold them. But I think they were for preset amounts like $5, $10 and so on. Otherwise I'd just buy 5 of them and put $1 on each n tell the cashiers I'm buying them 'as a joke gift'(like I did with the 45 $.99 PS2 sports games I bought from GS to dump on BB:razz:).

Anyone know how to move store credit from one to another?
Or how to trade in Brink at store A and get credit so that I can buy something at store B?
Hope these questions make sense.

If any one was chasing Epic Mickey for flipping to Best Buy, you might want to know its TIV has dropped to $10. I figured this info might save people a few trips.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']If any one was chasing Epic Mickey for flipping to Best Buy, you might want to know its TIV has dropped to $10. I figured this info might save people a few trips.[/QUOTE]

It's even lesser at amazon as it trades in for 6 now. It's quickly loosing its good flip status

Anyone know how to move store credit from one to another?
Or how to trade in Brink at store A and get credit so that I can buy something at store B?
Hope these questions make sense.

The only way you might be able to do it is go to store A and ask them before u do the trade if they would be willing to transfer the credit it to store B.
Why don't u just do the trade at store B if u know they have something u want.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The only way you might be able to do it is go to store A and ask them before u do the trade if they would be willing to transfer the credit it to store B.
Why don't u just do the trade at store B if u know they have something u want.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your response.

The reason I can't trade in at store B, is because the manager doesn't accept trade ins. I tried and he told me no.

Got my Bulletstorm and Splatterhouse at a diff BBV that actually was on top of shit (had their sign out and all prices accurately marked)....but during my trip, I stopped at GameStop and dealt with one of the worst manager experiences of my life...

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Got my Bulletstorm and Splatterhouse at a diff BBV that actually was on top of shit (had their sign out and all prices accurately marked)....but during my trip, I stopped at GameStop and dealt with one of the worst manager experiences of my life...[/QUOTE]

Go on.....

Bad experience today. Not too bad, but disheartening.

So I was told the transfers would be done a few days ago. I went in today to scope it out and I swear to you, not a single game has moved since I was in there early last week. Everything is in the exact same spot and there was not a single game that wasn't there last time. I was extremely disappointed at this. I wanted me some Splatterhouse. :(

I initially went in to get Kirby's Epic Yarn. Well, it was marked $19.99. I tried to buy it anyway, to no avail. Well I shouldn't say that. I could have still bought it, at the $19.99 price tag. :X

I didn't leave emptyhanded though. I managed to snag:

:ps3: Mindjack - $14.99
:ps3: Tron: Evolution - Free

:360: Rock Band 3 - $9.99
:360: Rock Band 2 - Free

The lady rung them up properly so I got the best deal possible without me asking so that was cool. What was even cooler was while I was waiting for her to get the games, I noticed a 2GB Flash Drive with the price tag of $.79! She said it was leftover from the big clearance sale from months ago. They did inventory last night and found it in the backroom. Also picked up some clearance Mike and Ikes Italian Ice flavored. Those things are amazing! :hot:

Picked up

:ps3: Dead Rising 2 for $19.99
:ps3: Enslaved FREE

Selling Enslaved to Amazon and I plan on getting credit and using it towards the buy one 50% sale they have going on.

If Blockbuster plans on "coming back" and really being competitive in the market, you'd think they'd train their fucking employees better. Almost every person posting in this thread has some sort of shitty story to tell. Seriously, hawaiiboy should run the damn company at this point.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']If Blockbuster plans on "coming back" and really being competitive in the market, you'd think they'd train their fucking employees better. Almost every person posting in this thread has some sort of shitty story to tell. Seriously, hawaiiboy should run the damn company at this point.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Even the "better" run one didn't update their games and the CSR (new one?) said they did. EM still ran up as $20 yesterday.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']If Blockbuster plans on "coming back" and really being competitive in the market, you'd think they'd train their fucking employees better. Almost every person posting in this thread has some sort of shitty story to tell. Seriously, hawaiiboy should run the damn company at this point.[/QUOTE]

He would have actual responsibility then and less time for gaming...

Well, the BB that I was waiting to update the prices for Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn finally did it...just in time for someone to buy up all the Epic Mickeys at the store...when I could have had them both on Tuesday!!!

Sigh...had to settle for a incomplete Kirby at another store.

Man i was glad i was able to grab 3 EM and 3 Kirbys from all over town and was able to trade the EM in before they dropped and had one locked in with Amazon at 14 so im pretty satisfied. I have 200 in store credit split between my closest BBV.Hopefully some good drops Monday or ill just wait to see...actually HB, is there any whispers of a BF deal on games? If so i think ill just hold on to my credit until then...

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Those were the popular ones with CoE because they were all $10 last week. You can ask HB if you have any in particular you want him to look up.[/QUOTE]

what are the poplar ones this week? this thread hasnt moved this fast in years

[quote name='Animal7390']what are the poplar ones this week? this thread hasnt moved this fast in years[/QUOTE]

Brink, hunted demon forge and child of Eden. The first 2 are still $10 with @gamer coupon at BB. The 3rd was a price error at BB for $10

TiV are 17 for brink, 22/19 for hunted 360/ps3 and $22 for CoE

[quote name='david12795']made out with red dead redemption:ps3: and kirby epic yarn.[/QUOTE]

Hey I love games as well, but that's taking it a little too far.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Hey I love games as well, but that's taking it a little too far.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...well played. Tempted to "make out" with Red Dead too during the sale but I'm paranoid of a GOTY Edition coming out. I can wait...

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']Hahaha...well played. Tempted to "make out" with Red Dead too during the sale but I'm paranoid of a GOTY Edition coming out. I can wait...[/QUOTE]
You may wanna wait.;) As it stands I have both of the standalone disc versions of RDR and RDR: UN, so I don't need to buy the GOTY edition.:razz: But I'll probably pop onto PSN to see what the new free DLC adds to the game. Otherwise both games have sat in my collection collecting dust since I finished them and actually I don't think I ever even played the Undead Nightmare storyline all the way through. I only wanted that for the ability to play poker n other games in mp with people.;)

http://www.destructoid.com/red-dead-redemption-game-of-the-year-coming-says-bbfc-207783.phtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-02-red-dead-redemption-goty-ed-sighted

[quote name='dinovelvet']Hey I love games as well, but that's taking it a little too far.[/QUOTE]

yeah zelda is getting jealous

i probably wont even play these games so waste of $26 dollars for me :p

[quote name='david12795']i probably wont even play these games so waste of $26 dollars for me :p[/QUOTE]
That's me too. I've been in full on collector mode lately and not even playing half of the games I'm buying.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's me too. I've been in full on collector mode lately and not even playing half of the games I'm buying.:cry:[/QUOTE]

First world issues :applause:

Damn...I went to exchange a game at my local BBV and all the KEYs and EMs are gone. Hope they went to good people and not El Hoardo or I have to hope for a restock before the sale is over.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Epic Mickey went up to $15 TIV at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that. It also went back to $14 this afternoon at Best Buy after dropping to $10 at around 3 this morning. Although now it is back down to $10 again. Very interesting...

In any case, I can definitely vouch for the B1G1 still running - picked up 2 games today.

[quote name='io']I noticed that. It also went back to $14 this afternoon at Best Buy after dropping to $10 at around 3 this morning. Although now it is back down to $10 again. Very interesting...

In any case, I can definitely vouch for the B1G1 still running - picked up 2 games today.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's more popular than we think? I grabbed one off the warehouse for $12, and it arrives tomorrow. Might go right back to them with the other copy I picked up. lol

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Maybe it's more popular than we think? I grabbed one off the warehouse for $12, and it arrives tomorrow. Might go right back to them with the other copy I picked up. lol[/QUOTE]

Easy $3 my friend. :)

HB, is tomorrow or Saturday the earliest you'll hear about Monday's drops?

Also, any chance you can check on the Lego Star Wars III Trade in values? Thanks.

[quote name='super_dawn']so weird. I thought i'd lost out on the $14 em trade to bb....but it's back on. Hope it holds till I can get there in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Back to $10 it goes...

My one store was picked over. I did see a few Epic Mickeys marked $19.99. They did have SWTFU2 also, but I wasn't sure what flipped great anymore....oh well.

HB, is tomorrow or Saturday the earliest you'll hear about Monday's drops?

Also, any chance you can check on the Lego Star Wars III Trade in values? Thanks

usually get the price drops sat morning but sometimes like last week they'll come over Friday night. I'm on vacation for the next week and a half so I'll just report any price drops but won't be able to check tivs or anything else.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']usually get the price drops sat morning but sometimes like last week they'll come over Friday night. I'm on vacation for the next week and a half so I'll just report any price drops but won't be able to check tivs or anything else.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Enjoy your vacation.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']usually get the price drops sat morning but sometimes like last week they'll come over Friday night. I'm on vacation for the next week and a half so I'll just report any price drops but won't be able to check tivs or anything else.[/QUOTE]

People that live on Hawaii still get vacations? I thought you were already on permanent vacation! Just kidding of course :p

Went today to get Kirby,they won't budge on the 19.99 price.So,I caved in and got it,along with Disney Enchanted Princess.It was the only 14.99 game on the table,thank god I have a 11 year old girl to play it.It would have been a bit strange if I was stuck playing this.

[quote name='haywire69']Went today to get Kirby,they won't budge on the 19.99 price.So,I caved in and got it,along with Disney Enchanted Princess.It was the only 14.99 game on the table,thank god I have a 11 year old girl to play it.It would have been a bit strange if I was stuck playing this.[/QUOTE]

The DM's name/number is usually posted on a big board right behind the checkout counters. Just call it and tell the DM that you believe your store has yet to update its video game prices for the week based on price changes at a (friend's/relative's/co-worker's) store. Tell the DM you mentioned it to the employees but they didn't want to check for updated prices.

If you live in hawaii, do you just like fly to Iowa and get an office job for a couple days as your vacation?

Epic Mickey is now up to $18 at Amazon!

I was just printing out my trade-in forms from this morning when it was $15 and I'm glad that I noticed before I sent it in!

bread's done
Back