The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it sounds like a lot of system got bought during the 25% discount. I called a few places that I knew had consoles, including old Xbox models, but those are all allegedly sold out. I'd considering making the drive out tomorrow to see it myself, but the Blockbuster that I have a best chance with is about 15 miles away. Not exactly a cheap ride in an old SUV. (I'm just a wee bit skeptical because the employee I talked to last time said his co-worker likely bought up the Xbox Live cards he thought he had left over. And I think I just talked to that same co-worker that told me she was out of consoles.)

If you find consoles, buy them now.

[quote name='bredbu']wow xbox cards are on clearance?? are psn cards also on clearance[/QUOTE]
I asked last night if the PSN cards were on clearance and I was told NO, but a whole jolly stack of $25 ones disappeared within a couple of days, so I'd just try for one and see what they say.

If they are ringing up 50% off automatically in the system then I'd probably go buy a couple of the $50 ones that're left.;)

I saw some Wii Points cards, but I think I read somewhere that these points are going to become obsolete... please feel free to confirm or refute this...

[quote name='izpep']Aren't the clamshell pack cards the only ones eligible for clearance?[/QUOTE]
If not, then I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning at 10:01am.;) I'm gonna be at the door of BBV waiting to use my credit card on all 20+ $50 PSN cards they had as of a few days ago at my closest store.

If those qualify, that's $50 worth of shit for $12.50.:drool:

anyone wanna go price check a psn card at bbv for me :) my bbv is 30 minutes away maybe someone has one 2 minutes away

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If not, then I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning at 10:01am.;) I'm gonna be at the door of BBV waiting to use my credit card on all 20+ $50 PSN cards they had as of a few days ago at my closest store.

If those qualify, that's $50 worth of shit for $12.50.:drool:[/QUOTE]
if those fuckers ring up as $12.50, that'll be crazy!! I'l be buying up a stack of them also

Unless something has changed, the calling card-style PSN and Xbox cards should not be on clearance. The certainly weren't before. Only the ones in the plastic packaging for the Xbox and Wii were. I don't see why they would be on clearance considering Blockbusters isn't getting completely out of the gaming business. And the ones people found on clearance were very YMMV and most likely a mistake.

Hawaiiaboy, got any news about points cards going on clearance?

got any news about points cards going on clearance?

the points cards that get activated at the register arent on clearance only the ones like people have posted that are in the clamshell type case that has a upc on the back are the clearance ones.

where's that re-price list?

sorry havent had time to list them. i'll get them up maybe late tonight.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']the points cards that get activated at the register arent on clearance only the ones like people have posted that are in the clamshell type case that has a upc on the back are the clearance ones.[/QUOTE]
Damn you, Blockbuster.:bomb: Why must you tease us so? Give us an awesome BOGO, followed by a storewide clearance of shit most of us no longer have at our stores.:cry:

If the LBP plushes count as general merchandise, then that means they'll be like $3-4 come Monday morning. Oh happy day. I can finally replace the 'slow' looking one that they put in my LBP 2 CE with one that looks like it was sewn together by a sweat shop worker that wasn't cross eyed.:razz:

I'm actually planning to drive to a BBV 8 miles away just to get the LBP2 plush tomorrow ;). They had a lot of other stuff too like the Raving Rabbids figures. I'll probably get some of those too, though they may last until 90% off. I'm sure the LBP2 plush won't, though, so I'm snagging them.

Guess I'll venture to one of the close Blockbusters to see if I can get some cool toys. All of cool ones that had consoles only had the Mario merchandise, so not point in me driving out that far.

I wish my closest BBV hadn't shipped out all of their new/sealed games they used to have a while ago or there was a way to make a pre-order there for a new release title but not pay it off fully n have it hit the 75% off price immediately.;):evil:

Lucky for me the BBV with a couple of the LBP 2 plushes is less than a mile from my house.:razz: I can take a walk there tomorrow morning.

Hawaiiboy, do you happen to have any of the Nintendo DS part numbers? Having the .99 cent blu-ray part number helped me out immensely last week. I bet it might help me hunt down a DS lite or DSi tomorrow.

Also, the 2000 point Nintendo Cards are definitely considered "General Merchandise" and will be 75% off tomorrow? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, because it sounds too good to be true. :)

Also, does anyone know if Mario Merchandise will be on sale? One of my stores has so much Mario stuff it's insane. At a different store, I bought a bunch of Mario Series 2 figures for $1.49 marked down from $4.99. I tried to buy some of the same figures at a different store and they rang up $4.99 even after the cashier hit "total." I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

One last question. Will the framed artwork be hitting 75% off tomorrow and then 90% off later?

Im super confused about this 75% off business. (I dont think its listed in the OP is it?) I know that up to now video game accessories and hardware have been 50% off. these are hitting 75% off tomorrow no? Are new games part of this clearance!? I only ask cause someone above mentioned some game 75% off. do they count as general merchandise or whatever?

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Im super confused about this 75% off business. (I dont think its listed in the OP is it?) I know that up to now video game accessories and hardware have been 50% off. these are hitting 75% off tomorrow no? Are new games part of this clearance!? I only ask cause someone above mentioned some game 75% off. do they count as general merchandise or whatever?[/QUOTE]
For those who weren't paying attention recently, here's the clearance schedule for everything(Thanks again to Hawaiiboy for posting this originally).

[quote name='Hawaiiboy']here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off
June 20 – June 26 90% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Select Game Strategy Guides
May 24 – June 26 50% Off

Game Accessories
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Game Hardware and Software
May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return [/quote]

do you happen to have any of the Nintendo DS part numbers?

ill let you know tomorrow morning. ill also check on the points cards.

Will the framed artwork be hitting 75% off tomorrow and then 90% off later?

yep.

i'm personally going for the big Yoda hopefully he is still there tomorrow as we had 2 left. i would've held one but my DM said he would Donald Trump anyone he caught holding stuff.

[quote name='KingofGames']Had some luck at my local BBV today. Picked up two DS Lites (Crimson/Black & Onyx) and a blue DSi at 50% off. I was surprised to see the discount already in affect. The other items in the picture are my other finds for the weekend.
[/QUOTE]
Stubbs the Zombie. Good choice.

price drops effective 6/6

:ds:
call of duty 4: modern warfare $9.99
chaotic $4.99
legend of zelda phantom hourglass $9.99
simanimals $6.99
zubo $4.99

:ps3:
bond quantum of solace $9.99
call of duty modern warfare 2 $19.99
dead rising 2 $24.99
enemy territory $9.99
gran turismo $44.99
iron man 2 $9.99
killzone 3 $44.99
lair $6.99
LBP $14.99
MVC3 $44.99
mlb 2k9 $6.99
motor storm $6.99
nhl 2k9 $4.99
red dead redemption $24.99
skate $6.99
wanted $9.99
move sports champions $19.99
move the shoot $24.99

:360:
command and conquer 3 $6.99
dead rising 2 $24.99
ff XIII $14.99
golden axe $6.99
guitar hero 3 $4.99
guitar hero 5 $9.99
guitar hero world tour $4.99
lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $14.99
lost planet $6.99
medal of honor $14.99
overlord 2 $6.99
prince of persia $6.99
rockband $4.99
rockband 2 $6.99
star ocean last hope $6.99
super street fighter $14.99
transformers revenge $9.99
wwe smackdown 10 $9.99

:wii:
all star cheer squad $4.99
animal crossing city $9.99
battalion wars2 $9.99
bigs $6.99
blazing angels squadron $9.99
boom blox bash party $6.99
carnival games mini golf $6.99
crash mind over mutant $9.99
destroy all humans $6.99
drawn to life $6.99
guitar hero metallica $6.99
metroid prime 3 corruption $9.99
prince of persia rival swords $9.99
rabbids go home $9.99
rayman raving rabbids $6.99
scooby doo first frights $6.99
star wars clone wars $6.99
star wars force unleashed $6.99
top spin 3 $4.99
wii music $6.99

If you could check on the PS3 160gb models Hawaiiboy that'd be great.

Seems to be all we have around here in the BBV stores.
Standard 160gb PS3 no bundle variety.

And speaking of the "Big Yoda's" there were probably a dozen big yoda dolls at a store near here. 75% off and I can no longer resist. Just hope one is still there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For those who weren't paying attention recently, here's the clearance schedule for everything(Thanks again to Hawaiiboy for posting this originally).[/QUOTE]

Thanks IATCG. So tomorrow new games are 50% off eh. Damn....might have to make another run to blockbuster. I remember seeing 2 LBP plushes also.

Hawaiiboy, how likely is a redo of the 99 cents bluray sale for July 4th or anytime in the future? Was it only a onetime thing just to get rid of closing store inventory? I've never paid attention to DVD sales...is the 99 cents thing common, a regular occurrence?

[quote name='Toss']Hawaiiboy, how likely is a redo of the 99 cents bluray sale for July 4th or anytime in the future? Was it only a onetime thing just to get rid of closing store inventory? I've never paid attention to DVD sales...is the 99 cents thing common, a regular occurrence?[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I don't think they've ever done the 99 cent thing before even for DVDs let alone blu-ray. I think Hawaiiboy himself said it would be back for July 4th weekend.

Hawaiiboy, how likely is a redo of the 99 cents bluray sale for July 4th or anytime in the future? Was it only a onetime thing just to get rid of closing store inventory? I've never paid attention to DVD sales...is the 99 cents thing common, a regular occurrence?

yeah, first time doing a $.99 dvd sale.

not exactly sure what the plan for the 4th is as the $.99 blu ray went back to $5.99 so i guess they could do a progessive drop again. i'm know the 5 for $20 will be in effect along with the b1g1 again. the regular dvd's at $.99 are still that price right now til we sell them all.

We're making good use of the DVDs and blu-rays we picked up from those sales. I almost passed on a few that turned out to be big hits with my kids. They've watched Alvin & The Chipmunks several times in the last week (we never saw it originally). Yeah, not the greatest movie ever, but good for the kids and at 99 cents it was one of my best BBV purchases ever!

I feel like I overpaid on a few of the 5 for $20 ones though. I'm not sure I'll ever watch National Treasure ;).

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Thanks IATCG. So tomorrow new games are 50% off eh. Damn....might have to make another run to blockbuster. I remember seeing 2 LBP plushes also.[/QUOTE]

I thought games were not included in the clearance sales? Since they just want to rent and sell only so the merchandise is the only stuff getting eliminated.

I thought games were not included in the clearance sales? Since they just want to rent and sell only so the merchandise is the only stuff getting eliminated.

were not gonna carry new games so they are part of the clearance. most of the new games are pre orders that people never picked up.

I know there is a Super Street Fighter at one store. May grab it on the next B1G1. Would like to find a FF13 as well.

Anyone hit up a BBV this morning and have any luck figuring out which PS3's are clearanced?

[quote name='sna']will new blu-rays and dvds be 75% off?[/QUOTE]

No. They're clearancing most of the misc stuff in the stores, not the movies.

Non-bundled 160 gb PS3 still ringing up 299

Other merchandise was 75% off. Going to keep trying though but I don't remember seeing any anywhere else around me.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']yeah, first time doing a $.99 dvd sale.

not exactly sure what the plan for the 4th is as the $.99 blu ray went back to $5.99 so i guess they could do a progessive drop again. i'm know the 5 for $20 will be in effect along with the b1g1 again. the regular dvd's at $.99 are still that price right now til we sell them all.[/QUOTE]

The B1G1 is for the $14.99 and under games right?

Just went to BBV and asked if they had any Microsoft points in the plastic cases, the employee came out of the back with two handfuls of them. I appreciate the tip hawaiiboy!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']ill let you know tomorrow morning. ill also check on the points cards.

yep.

i'm personally going for the big Yoda hopefully he is still there tomorrow as we had 2 left. i would've held one but my DM said he would Donald Trump anyone he caught holding stuff.[/QUOTE]

Your boss would make you show everyone your long-form birth certificate? ;)

Nevermind, I get it "You're Fired." :lol:

Now I wish I would have waited to buy yoda for $5 instead of $10. Oh well. I left 5 of the clam shell 2000 pt nintendo cards at a store last week. I guess it's worth seeing if any are still there. I doubt it, but $5 is way better than $10.

Thanks again hawaiiboy. I'll keep checking this thread for those DS part numbers. I trust the part numbers over the word of some employees who don't really know what they have in stock, especially unusual stuff like DS.

NDS crimson/black part # 721784
cobalt/black 212013
Coral pink 931469
Metallic rose 225599
Onyx 931468
Polar white 185328

They are all still listed at $50.

PS3 160gb is $300 like someone reported.

Are the plushies considered "general" or "game accessories"? Don't want to run to BBV w/o knowing if they're part of the 75% drop today for general merch.

I actually had a really pleasant experience at my Blockbuster this morning. I typically feel kinda bad for the employees, like they might be spiteful of all the clearance crap cause it might seem like a sign of them losing their job sometime in the future. Not sure if that's true or if I'm just over-thinking it...

But anyways, the guy working was just as excited as me about all the clearance crap, he was running around grabbing things he knew would be dirt cheap and scanning it to be certain of the price.

I went there only planning to buy a large Dexter metal poster...thing... I'd been looking at for a few weeks (only $7.49!) but ended up with Mario Yahtzee, Lady Gaga - Fame Monster, Black Eyed Peas - The Beginning, a 4GB mp3 player/FM/AM Transmitter, and a 4GB MicroSD card for it, as well as the Dexter poster thing. All of it was 75% off. I'll probably be visiting my other Blockbuster later in the day. :D

bread's done
Back