The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the8055']So I just messed around with my DS tonight and found out there is no online store for it but there is one for the DSI which idiot thought this would be a good idea?[/QUOTE]

The DSI came out after the ds/ ds lite.

I managed to pick up a pair of $7.50 Koss headphones, a $3.74 Kingston 4GB flash drive, and a $5 25-foot HDMI cable. Loving the headphones (they're really comfortable!), although I had a slight panic attack when I initially didn't realize that the super-huge plug was detachable in order to reveal the smaller-sized one.

Also, thanks to all the people who mentioned getting Ip Man during the blu-ray sale; I rented it a couple of days ago and it was awesome!

[quote name='atc250es']The DSI came out after the ds/ ds lite.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know that but don't they both take the same games and have exactly the same hardware only without a cam?

[quote name='the8055']Yeah I know that but don't they both take the same games and have exactly the same hardware only without a cam?[/QUOTE]

uh... why would nintendo make a dsi if it was exactly the same??? wow at even the thought of someone asking the question

[quote name='the8055']Yeah I know that but don't they both take the same games and have exactly the same hardware only without a cam?[/QUOTE]

DSi has more RAM and a faster CPU than the DS Lite, according to Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth). But to answer your original question, it was another carrot for Nintendo to get happy DS Lite users to cough up money for a DSi.

[quote name='the8055']So I just messed around with my DS tonight and found out there is no online store for it but there is one for the DSI which idiot thought this would be a good idea?[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it.
The other day I tried to get online with my Game Boy Advance.
It didn't even have a web browser. What retard was responsible for that shit?

[quote name='brianace']Tell me about it.
The other day I tried to get online with my Game Boy Advance.
It didn't even have a web browser. What retard was responsible for that shit?[/QUOTE]

My Game Boy Advance SP didn't have one, either.

And that thing could fold in half, just like a DS!

[quote name='salty tbone']DSi has more RAM and a faster CPU than the DS Lite, according to Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth). But to answer your original question, it was another carrot for Nintendo to get happy DS Lite users to cough up money for a DSi.[/QUOTE]

The DSi is a bit faster, although I don't belive it matters for regular DS games, but the reason the DS/DS lite will never see a store is it has no internal storage, where as the DSi has either 512 mb or 1gig.

I snagged some super cheap Kodak batteries tonight. Nice deal. While I was checking out, I asked the guy to check the price of one of the PSN cards. I grabbed the $50 one off the rack, and he scanned it. $50. Okay, fine, please remove it.

ALERT, ALERT! The lady working with him, maybe a shift manager, acted like worlds were ending. "YOU CAN'T JUST BE GIVING A $50 CREDIT!" Seriously, panic in her voice. I really didn't understand the issue-- I hadn't bought anything yet. They had to call someone somewhere to get an okay to void the scan that was just intended as a price check!

Anyone ever seen this level of craziness over a decision to not purchase an item?

you can't price check a psn card as the only barcode on there is the activation barcode and once you activate it its non refundable. the back of the card says something to that effect.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']you can't price check a psn card as the only barcode on there is the activation barcode and once you activate it its non refundable. the back of the card says something to that effect.[/QUOTE]

LOL...Looks like some employee is taking home that PSN card!

I had my BBV employee price check a PSN and XBL card for me. She scanned it, told me the price, and then scanned it again (did something in the register) to revert the card back to unused. [quote name='hawaiiboy']you can't price check a psn card as the only barcode on there is the activation barcode and once you activate it its non refundable. the back of the card says something to that effect.[/QUOTE]

I stopped at a Blockbuster last night. DS systems were gone. No blu-ray players. I did buy 3 different Sackboy dolls ($3.25 each), a framed Kick Ass movie poster for $5 (originally $30), some $.74 Kodak batteries, 2 GB SD cards for $2, 4 GB micro SD cards for $3.75, a Sony remote for $1.50, a bunch of 99 cent used DVDs (they had 2 tables of random titles), Diego wall stickers for my toddler ($1.25), and some random other stuff.

Anyone that wants to give out Snuggies as a Christmas gift, they are $3.75 a pop. All the As Seen on TV stuff was also 75% off.

Nothing much left of interest when I stopped by my local store; grabbed a Yoda plush and some buttons/keychains. Plenty of Boondock Saints framed art left, apparently not enough fans of it here.

[quote name='io']That's one reason why I'm kind of letting this "general merchandise" sale go under the radar (ie, no update of the thread title). It isn't really gaming related anyway, so it doesn't really apply to the Video Game Deals forum. But we'll just consider this a little treat for the regulars here ;).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Also if interested parties can't figure out that there's something going on when this thread is bumped to the top of the forum every 5min for the past month, they don't deserve a deal. Let's face it. Since the BBV tivs tanked, this thread isn't on page 1 of the videogame forums very often (except for the last month or so it's been there everyday). people should be able to get the hint and figure it out. Hopefully SD people don't, especially considering the ymmv nature of some of our recent finds. :)

[quote name='AMadcap']Nothing much left of interest when I stopped by my local store; grabbed a Yoda plush and some buttons/keychains. Plenty of Boondock Saints framed art left, apparently not enough fans of it here.[/QUOTE]

Awesome find. The boondocks saints art at my store got bought up first thing Monday morning. Maybe next Monday I'll drive to other stores to see if I can find any for 90 percent off. If I find any I'm going to yell " ding dong mother@&$?ers, ding dong!" in the middle of the BBV store. :p

Got one of those Mach Speed Trios for 17.50. Figured it would just be a big 8GB memory stick if it sucked as a mp3 player. May be right. Looking at reviews on amazon people love it or hate it and of course most people who hate it say it won't do what they want (can you say research?) or they dropped it on the street and the screen cracked (which somehow gets a bad review). Myself, I opened it and it seemed nice, but the audio is bad whether out of the speaker or thru a headset. Haven't seen anyone else with that problem, although a few had cracked screens upon opening, so I wouldn't say the problem is indicative. Gonna call the company now.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Agreed. Also if interested parties can't figure out that there's something going on when this thread is bumped to the top of the forum every 5min for the past month, they don't deserve a deal. Let's face it. Since the BBV tivs tanked, this thread isn't on page 1 of the videogame forums very often (except for the last month or so it's been there everyday). people should be able to get the hint and figure it out. Hopefully SD people don't, especially considering the ymmv nature of some of our recent finds. :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I haven't been to Blockbuster since the one in my town closed over a year ago. Even then, I only went because of the closing sale... before that I only set foot in one maybe once a year. The closest one to me now is about 10 miles away, and I didn't even know it existed.

But for the heck of it, I read through this thread, and low and behold, on Monday I went to 4 different stores and got some awesome stuff. My only regret was not checking earlier and having better pickings at the B1G1 game sale! So yeah... thanks guys, haha.

[quote name='hellbringer333']uh... why would nintendo make a dsi if it was exactly the same??? wow at even the thought of someone asking the question[/QUOTE]

Umm isn't the DSI XL the same as a DSI just bigger?

[quote name='Denbo32']Umm isn't the DSI XL the same as a DSI just bigger?[/QUOTE]

Yes, except for the fact that it's different, the XL is the same as the DSi.

[quote name='boneless']You guys are so lucky. Tivo is the only electronic item that my wife would never say no to buying more of.[/QUOTE]

I'm about positive I will be able to get two or three of the TiVo HD (TCD652160, records HD, cable and OTA only) for about $11 each on Monday morning. Not sure if they're worth trying to flip or what. If someone wants one, feel free to PM me, I have five BBVs on my route plan. Shipping is gonna be more than the TiVo itself though.

Finally got a chance to go to bbv... drove 20 min. to one in the boonies hoping to find good stuff. They had pretty much all accessories outside as a sidewalk sale. Picked up the Koss headphones ($3), Sony headphones ($4), Gaga cd ($2.50), Micro 4g Sd ($4), and framed art piece for a buck.

Talked to the manager for a bit. Said he sold 28 dslites last week for $50. :( they have a ps3 new on the counter but he told me that was still 299. They also had a couple wiimotes/numchucks new but he also said those weren't marked down. Didn't think I could convince him to scan them just in case so I guess I'll go back again on the 13th.

Wow way to be such di@ks. The Ds, Ds lite, DSI, DSI XL are all the same thing just with minor differences just like psp 1000, 2000, 3000, and GO there all the same consoles and run the same games.The good thing about the PSP's are they all have the PSN to buy games and such. Now the 3DS has different games that cant run on the old DS thus making it a different console.

[quote name='the8055']Now the 3DS has different games that cant run on the old DS thus making it a different console.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I think they can. Insert your 3DS cart into your DS, using a small, flat sided screwdriver and some elbow grease. Then poke yourself in the eye with the screwdriver, to produce the 3D effect.

[quote name='brianace']Are you sure? I think they can. Insert your 3DS cart into your DS, using a small, flat sided screwdriver and some elbow grease. Then poke yourself in the eye with the screwdriver, to produce the 3D effect.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='the8055']Wow way to be such di@ks. The Ds, Ds lite, DSI, DSI XL are all the same thing just with minor differences just like psp 1000, 2000, 3000, and GO there all the same consoles and run the same games.The good thing about the PSP's are they all have the PSN to buy games and such. Now the 3DS has different games that cant run on the old DS thus making it a different console.[/QUOTE]

They aren't the same, though.

[quote name='dys006']I'm about positive I will be able to get two or three of the TiVo HD (TCD652160, records HD, cable and OTA only) for about $11 each on Monday morning. Not sure if they're worth trying to flip or what. If someone wants one, feel free to PM me, I have five BBVs on my route plan. Shipping is gonna be more than the TiVo itself though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what Hard drives are in the TiVo's but they are probably worth more than $11. I'm just speculating but you might be able to eBay the hard drives or install them in your computer somehow. They probably hook up with SATA cables or something and they most likely need reformatted, who knows.

I'm not so sure. 80gb is about 80hrs if I irc. A 500gb hard drive is about $40 or less. If you really want to sell those go to tivocommunity.com and try. They have rabid fans over there. You could sell as units or even sell the drives as replacement if you open it up. Those are imaged with the tivo software and are worth more the way they are than as a computer hd.

I was interested in getting a Tivo, but they raised their prices on subscriptions to $19.99 a month & $500 for lifetime. It used to be $12.99 and $300.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I'm not sure what Hard drives are in the TiVo's but they are probably worth more than $11. I'm just speculating but you might be able to eBay the hard drives or install them in your computer somehow. They probably hook up with SATA cables or something and they most likely need reformatted, who knows.[/QUOTE]
If they for some reason put in a laptop sized 2.5" SATA hdd and it was 5400rpm's, you could break open one of the Tivos n use that hdd in a PS3.;)

[quote name='Cerebral_One']I was interested in getting a Tivo, but they raised their prices on subscriptions to $19.99 a month & $500 for lifetime. It used to be $12.99 and $300.[/QUOTE]

There's a multi-unit discount. I'm not sure what it is now, but I'm grandfathered in at $6.99 for my 3rd unit. I paid lifetime for my two back in 2001 at $200 and pay for my in-laws in another state at $6.99/mos. They always seem to end up at 2 - 2.5yrs of sub is comparable to lifetime.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If they for some reason put in a laptop sized 2.5" SATA hdd and it was 5400rpm's, you could break open one of the Tivos n use that hdd in a PS3.;)[/QUOTE]

The drives are 5400rpm 3.5" standard desktop stuff. I'm guessing the HD tivo's we're talking about are serial ATA connections, but the SD older ones could still use parallel ATA. Those are series 2 are fairly old.

[quote name='boneless']I'm not so sure. 80gb is about 80hrs if I irc. A 500gb hard drive is about $40 or less. If you really want to sell those go to tivocommunity.com and try. They have rabid fans over there. You could sell as units or even sell the drives as replacement if you open it up. Those are imaged with the tivo software and are worth more the way they are than as a computer hd.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. This is helpful. When it says "100 hours" I thought it meant 100 HD hours. I thought that meant the HDD would have to be at least around 500gb.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']I was interested in getting a Tivo, but they raised their prices on subscriptions to $19.99 a month & $500 for lifetime. It used to be $12.99 and $300.[/QUOTE]

$500? Holy crap. I already have 3 DVRs in my house from Comcast. I guess I'll try out the TiVo for a couple months for $19.99. Comcast recently updated it's firmware and it's complete garbage. It is extremely glitchy, crashes often, and is generally much more of a time wasting pain in the ass to use. You'd think it might just be a problem with one DVR, but it's the same shittyness on all 3 DVRs. I can't wait to quit comcast, get rid of these DVRs and switch to something else like TiVo or AT@T Uverse.

I got a purple pair of those Koss headphones for $3.75, Lady Gaga CD for $2.50, Katy Perry CD for $3.75, 25 foot HDMI Cable for $5, and one of those things to clean your windshield for $2.50. Not gonna lie, the windshield cleaning thing is the best find here.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. This is helpful. When it says "100 hours" I thought it meant 100 HD hours. I thought that meant the HDD would have to be at least around 500gb.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they mean SD and at BASIC setting which is only good for light motion(talk shows). Sports need "best setting" which is about 1/4 the capacity stated on the box. I don't know the ratio for HD but figure it's about 1/8th, so 80hrs stated on box is 10hrs HD space.

I talked to a girl at BBV when I bought a SD tivo recently and she switched from a Time Warner box to the HD they sold at her store. You have to get used to the vertical guide listing, but she loved it anyhow. The ONLY reason I haven't switched to HD cable is because all my tivos are SD and I won't give those up.

[quote name='super_dawn']They have a ps3 new on the counter but he told me that was still 299. They also had a couple wiimotes/numchucks new but he also said those weren't marked down. Didn't think I could convince him to scan them just in case so I guess I'll go back again on the 13th.[/QUOTE]
Same thing at my local store with the ps3 bundles, still full price. Wanted to pick up some of the Mario toys, but they were also still at full price.

Ended up with some Tron keychains, some pins, and a Yoda plush. :roll:

Tivo has a father's day special. It says $0 down and $19.99 a month, 2 year commitment required. I'm not sure if that means free Tivo Premiere unit, but it looks like it is. Of course that means you can't get lifetime but if you're going to do monthly anyway that would be better than the BBV deal.
http://www.tivo.com/promo/fathersday11.html?WT.ac=tivohome_fathersday11

If you add a Tivo to your cart and goto shop again, it shows the current Multi-Service Discount, which is $14.99/month, $400 lifetime.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. This is helpful. When it says "100 hours" I thought it meant 100 HD hours. I thought that meant the HDD would have to be at least around 500gb.

$500? Holy crap. I already have 3 DVRs in my house from Comcast. I guess I'll try out the TiVo for a couple months for $19.99. Comcast recently updated it's firmware and it's complete garbage. It is extremely glitchy, crashes often, and is generally much more of a time wasting pain in the ass to use. You'd think it might just be a problem with one DVR, but it's the same shittyness on all 3 DVRs. I can't wait to quit comcast, get rid of these DVRs and switch to something else like TiVo or AT@T Uverse.[/QUOTE]

I noticed something strange. On the Tivo site they have Tivo's specifically for each cable company, as if you could get the Tivo from your cable company and use that instead of the shitty Comcast one. I say this because they have no prices on those or any way to buy them. Of course now that I search for that I can't find the location on the site. Sorry for no link.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']Tivo has a father's day special. It says $0 down and $19.99 a month, 2 year commitment required. I'm not sure if that means free Tivo Premiere unit, but it looks like it is. Of course that means you can't get lifetime but if you're going to do monthly anyway that would be better than the BBV deal.
http://www.tivo.com/promo/fathersday11.html?WT.ac=tivohome_fathersday11

If you add a Tivo to your cart and goto shop again, it shows the current Multi-Service Discount, which is $14.99/month, $400 lifetime.

I noticed something strange. On the Tivo site they have Tivo's specifically for each cable company, as if you could get the Tivo from your cable company and use that instead of the shitty Comcast one. I say this because they have no prices on those or any way to buy them. Of course now that I search for that I can't find the location on the site. Sorry for no link.[/QUOTE]

Here's the link you're looking for. And yes it looks like a premiere unit is free except no lifetime for 2yrs.

http://www.tivo.com/products/source/index.html

I dunno. I just like the thought of buying those tivos for $25 each knowing the potential is there whether I use it or not. Just like my gaming backlog. :lol:

I picked up some Koss and Sony earbuds since I wasn't sure which would be better. The Koss's are a little bit better, if anyone is wondering. For $3.74 I might go back and grab a few more, even if all they have left are girly colors.

Also snagged a 2 gig USB drive for $2.49 and a 4 gig micro SD card for $3.75.

Heh, drove by where the BB used to be near my town this week and it wasn't there anymore. There's another town a few miles over that has one, but I don't know if that's gone yet either. Should I even bother with it on Monday?

[quote name='IronZombie']Heh, drove by where the BB used to be near my town this week and it wasn't there anymore. There's another town a few miles over that has one, but I don't know if that's gone yet either. Should I even bother with it on Monday?[/QUOTE]

yeah you should. you shouldnt call first to see if they are open you should go there even though you have no clue why you want to.

went to two BB's near me. Will wait for 90% off to pick up some koss earphones for $1.50 each(colorful ones) and maybe batteries.

Does anyone know how much the Koss earphone that come with different size buds and have a volume control are?

Also HB, Any reason as to why the Super Mario Toys aren't clearanced?

Picked up some items today:

Kingston 2 GB Micro SD card 1.99
Kodiak C 2 packs 2 x 0.74
Koss UR40 Headpones 7.49
Reservoir Dogs 8X10 framed poster 2.49
Scarface 24X24 framed art 7.49
Van Gogh Cafe Terrace 24X36 3.74

Total 26.35 thanks Hawaii Boy

Amazingly, there was no Twilight art work left (must be a ton of twihards in my town). The only stuff left I didn't buy was a Bob Marley one and a KickAss movie one. I might go back and get those Monday though.

I wanted a pair of the Koss earbuds with the extra earpads but they were not on sale.

They confirmed more stuff will go on sale Monday.

[quote name='nas6034']went to two BB's near me. Will wait for 90% off to pick up some koss earphones for $1.50 each(colorful ones) and maybe batteries.

Does anyone know how much the Koss earphone that come with different size buds and have a volume control are?

Also HB, Any reason as to why the Super Mario Toys aren't clearanced?[/QUOTE]

IIRC, they were aroud 3.74.

[quote name='hellbringer333']yeah you should. you shouldnt call first to see if they are open you should go there even though you have no clue why you want to.[/QUOTE]

Wow.. what an incredibly douchy thing to say. Who says I have no clue why I want to? I'm here for the same reason we're all here, to buy cheap ass games. Keep your little flame comments to yourself next time.

bread's done
Back