The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I want to go check out the sale on the first day tomorrow (like usual), but I am a little worried about this new 'activating the sale in the register' thing. I have a bad feeling/am pretty sure that most of 3 or so stores I'll go to will probably not know about it.

In the past, they usually do not have signage up or have knowledge of the sale on the first day or two, but I've always been reassured by the knowledge that it would ring up properly in the system, no matter what. I don't want to offend anyone by implying I know more about their policies than they do (whether it's true or not), so HB, can you maybe suggest a polite way I could suggest/tell them how to do the proper procedure? Also, will this sale require the scanning of a barcode, or will it be automatic in the system once it's updated?

I really want to get all of my ducks in a row on this sale, because with all of the closings in the last few years, the 6-7 corporate stores I used to have in a 50 mile or so radius have dwindled down to 4...and 3 of them are 30-40 miles in one direction, the other 50 miles the opposite way. Needless to say, it's a significant investment in time, so I want to go ahead and devise a strategy to make sure that I get the sale.

^^ just let them know the sale is going on today (they should be aware of it anyway) and to activate it. They can't say NO to that. The worst thing you could do is let them be lazy and not say anything and then be charged more.

The one I usually go to had no signs up last time I walked in for the BOGO sale and the system didn't register it as a sale but the guy was well aware of the sale and he rang them up so that it registered.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective 8/29 also the start of the b1g1 free sale.

:ps3:
Crysis 2 $29.99
Dead space 2 $19.99
FIFA 11 $19.99
Fight night champion $29.99
L.A. Noire $29.99

:360:
Crysis $29.99
Dead space 2 $19.99
L.A. Noire $29.99
NBA jam $9.99

Wish I had better news but that's it.
No blu ray drops either.

Just a FYI. Starting 9/1 game rentals will be $1.99 a day for new releases and $.99 a day for older titles. Also anyone with blockbuster online will be able to exchange the mailers for any $.99 game free with no return date like when u swap it out for a movie. Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone actually still rents from bbv[/QUOTE]

That is great news. I guess Netflix is getting kicked to my curb. One question though, approximately how long before a game stops being a new release?

[quote name='chingychink2005']In for bulletstorm and whatever games, maybe uncharted 2 if I can find them. Im going light this sale also since I pretty much raided out the only blockbuster around. Strange thing they always let me convert rentals into sales...making it so easy to get everything I wanted. They know me as the asian guy who comes at 10am and buys up all the good game lol. Tried asking other bbvs if they would convert rentals for me, but they say its not even allowed. So whatever I love the bbv I go to and no I will not tell where it is. Lol[/QUOTE]
I've been beaten to my closest BBV by people from out of state during two out of the last three BOGO's. That's why I take my time and I get there when I get there anymore. That, the aforementioned 40 title backlog AND the fact that any of the games I'd want are above the $14.99 threshold or in incomplete/deplorable shape have all kept me from the sales recently.

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']If a BB has more than one copy of the game available for rent is it possible to have them transfer one of the copies over to the sale?[/QUOTE]
Highly unlikely. I asked last time since they had like 7 copies of Mafia II for rent and non for sale and the guy said they couldn't do it.

Thanks again Hawaiiboy for providing all the new updated information.

I'm looking through your price drop posts from the past few weeks and I noticed you said Blur for the ps3 is $14.99. Is the 360 version of Blur also $14.99?

I'm not one to flip that much and hoard all the games, but which games are the best to flip over to Best Buy with that 40% promo??

I know that TFU2 is a pretty darn good flip with that promo but are there any other games that you guys know about that is good?

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']If a BB has more than one copy of the game available for rent is it possible to have them transfer one of the copies over to the sale?[/QUOTE]
The rule is "Politely ask". Certain managers may not, but I have had Animal Crossing DS and Super Paper Mario Wii converted when I asked noticing they had more than one rental copy.

[quote name='kyrhon']I'm not one to flip that much and hoard all the games, but which games are the best to flip over to Best Buy with that 40% promo??

I know that TFU2 is a pretty darn good flip with that promo but are there any other games that you guys know about that is good?[/QUOTE]

You're reading my mind. I'm trying to find out the same thing. I don't have any dispensable income for flipping right now, but If there was something to flip for 3x profit, I'd figure out a way to pay for it I guess.

Dead Space 2 is a decent flip. $20 at BBV and trades in for $15 base at BB. Get another game like Metroid Other M that trades in for 8-9 (or SWTFU2). Turn 20 + tax into about $34.

Alot of games have held their tradein value since the last sale.

[quote name='Velo214']yeps. im gonna grab some games tomorrow. thanx alot. hoping for a good day ;)[/QUOTE]

WHAT DOES THAT WINK MEAN!?!:?!?!?!? WHAT DO YOU KNOW!?!?!??!

[quote name='WV Matsui']New to PS3... Any chance I can get some great old games with this deal? (LBP, MAG, Demon Souls, ModNation, etc.)[/QUOTE]

You can grab Uncharted 1/2 and God of War 3. I think I ve seen a MAG as well. Ratchet and Clank are pretty common 2.

[quote name='WV Matsui']New to PS3... Any chance I can get some great old games with this deal? (LBP, MAG, Demon Souls, ModNation, etc.)[/QUOTE]

You should go to Blockbuster tonight rent a $.49 blu ray and see what games they have, some have more games then others.

went and scouted my only store near my house and I'm sad. Only 2 games that I kinda want is FF13 and Mercenaries 2 ($14.99 n $9.99) T.T . I will sit this sale out tomorrow then.

One of the bestbuys in my area was going out of business and they had games starting at $4 dollars. didn't go check as it looked packed.

May actually stop by and check this out now since it starts the 1st... My Wife and I have a deal where we each get $20 in "whatever" cash each month to try and save money (ie, put it towards our 8m old and 18m old).

[quote name='JKSonic']May actually stop by and check this out now since it starts the 1st... My Wife and I have a deal where we each get $20 in "whatever" cash each month to try and save money (ie, put it towards our 8m old and 18m old).[/QUOTE]

the 1st? I thought it started tomorrow

One question though, approximately how long before a game stops being a new release?

i'll find out tomorrow when they send us the list of $1.99 games.

If a BB has more than one copy of the game available for rent is it possible to have them transfer one of the copies over to the sale?

its ymmv on that. most will probably say no but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Is the 360 version of Blur also $14.99?

not sure on that but will check first thing in the a.m.

the 1st? I thought it started tomorrow

it does start tomorrow.

Yeah Ive had one store convert Uncharted 1 and Super Mario Galaxy from rentals. Definitely doesnt hurt to ask cause they are trying to get any sort of sale/money into their business.

:rofl: @ the folks asking others who may flip games to just tell them what gets the best return and where it does. :lol:

Like they're gonna let their gravy trains get ruined by the newbies who don't wanna do their own homework.

well people starwars force 2 is 14.99 on ps3 and trade in for 12 . i plan on picking up 4 copies 2 for xbox 2 for ps3 and trade them in to best buy that plus the 50% extra that will pay for madden completely with 10 leftover

[quote name='darkvulture']well people starwars force 2 is 14.99 on ps3 and trade in for 12 . i plan on picking up 4 copies 2 for xbox 2 for ps3 and trade them in to best buy that plus the 50% extra that will pay for madden completely with 10 leftover[/QUOTE]

Whelp, that's one less flipper to worry about at BB after tomorrow!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:rofl: @ the folks asking others who may flip games to just tell them what gets the best return and where it does. :lol:

Like they're gonna let their gravy trains get ruined by the newbies who don't wanna do their own homework.[/QUOTE]

This!:applause:

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure Dj Kunai still stalks my Blockbusters, so every man for himself in So Cal.

[quote name='spauldingfan']This!:applause:

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure Dj Kunai still stalks my Blockbusters, so every man for himself in So Cal.[/QUOTE]

lol at the timely Kunai reference.

People are just asking for "good flips" to keep IATCG and others on their toes. ;)

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']lol at the timely Kunai reference.

People are just asking for "good flips" to keep IATCG and others on their toes. ;)[/QUOTE]

Alright I'll give one.... Medal Of Honor is 9.99 and trades in for 8 at BB, last I checked the other day. You might even find a BF3 Beta code not used.

And why has STFUII been the most solid flipping game in the history of the world. Like, that thing has been a good-priced flip since the day it was released and is still a good flip. Who is buying this game other than flippers?

[quote name='DerClaw']And why has STFUII been the most solid flipping game in the history of the world. Like, that thing has been a good-priced flip since the day it was released and is still a good flip. Who is buying this game other than flippers?[/QUOTE]

You must have missed Cranium Bukkake.

[quote name='ackbar7']You must have missed Cranium Bukkake.[/QUOTE]

Oh I miss those days... walking into Blockbuster buying it, getting lunch and selling it back to them:drool:

[quote name='darkvulture']well people starwars force 2 is 14.99 on ps3 and trade in for 12 . i plan on picking up 4 copies 2 for xbox 2 for ps3 and trade them in to best buy that plus the 50% extra that will pay for madden completely with 10 leftover[/QUOTE]
You mean you'll actually use the promo the way it's intended?;):applause: Good man. Although I have NEVER understood the rabid fandom behind sports titles that are seemingly the same damn thing year in and year out.

To each their own though, but I'd probably just spend the credit on Amazon gift cards and do any pre-orders on there.;)

[quote name='ackbar7']You must have missed Cranium Bukkake.[/QUOTE]

lol fuck yeah man. That was the #1 consistently reliable flip. There will never ever be a flip with that type of longevity.

Do I remember these numbers right? I might be a little off. It traded in for $18 and they sold it for $6.99? I think it was something like that. I think I even traded it a few times back when it cost $9.99, but I traded it many more times when it was like $6.99 or something.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']lol fuck yeah man. That was the #1 consistently reliable flip. There will never ever be a flip with that type of longevity.

Do I remember these numbers right? I might be a little off. It traded in for $18 and they sold it for $6.99? I think it was something like that. I think I even traded it a few times back when it cost $9.99, but I traded it many more times when it was like $6.99 or something.[/QUOTE]

Is that why they don't take trades any more? lol

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']lol fuck yeah man. That was the #1 consistently reliable flip. There will never ever be a flip with that type of longevity.

Do I remember these numbers right? I might be a little off. It traded in for $18 and they sold it for $6.99? I think it was something like that. I think I even traded it a few times back when it cost $9.99, but I traded it many more times when it was like $6.99 or something.[/QUOTE]

I think GS had it for like 10.99 as well. Good times

Did some recon at my local store and there really aren't any games I'm looking for over there. I'm gonna have to try some other stores after work tomorrow.

[quote name='TheHelix']Did some recon at my local store and there really aren't any games I'm looking for over there. I'm gonna have to try some other stores after work tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Use Google Shopping to save some gas.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean you'll actually use the promo the way it's intended?;):applause: Good man. Although I have NEVER understood the rabid fandom behind sports titles that are seemingly the same damn thing year in and year out.

To each their own though, but I'd probably just spend the credit on Amazon gift cards and do any pre-orders on there.;)[/QUOTE]

How do you know this isn't the first time he is buying a Madden game? I love Madden, but I only buy them every other year. I can understand the people that are really into multiplayer buying the games ever year.

Finally off of work. Time to kick back, grab a cold one, catch up on some TV I missed, and compile a shopping/flip list for tomorrow. The BB's I frequent are usually so bad about updating their price stickers, without a proper list, I tend to forget what's what!

[quote name='dino88']How do you know this isn't the first time he is buying a Madden game? I love Madden, but I only buy them every other year. I can understand the people that are really into multiplayer buying the games ever year.[/QUOTE]
I guess. I just always found those sports titles to be more fun when playing in person with friends. But I don't think I ever really bought more than a handful of these titles since I started gaming.

To each their own though.

Do I remember these numbers right? I might be a little off. It traded in for $18 and they sold it for $6.99? I think it was something like that. I think I even traded it a few times back when it cost $9.99, but I traded it many more times when it was like $6.99 or something.

it traded for $16 and sold for $6.99

Is that why they don't take trades any more? lol

Bbv still takes trades but values suck.

is the .99 cent dvd sale starting on monday 29th too or until Labor day?

there is no $.99 sale. There has been a $1.99 sale that started last week but the titles generally suck.

[quote name='sgaldis']Finally off of work. Time to kick back, grab a cold one, catch up on some TV I missed, and compile a shopping/flip list for tomorrow. The BB's I frequent are usually so bad about updating their price stickers, without a proper list, I tend to forget what's what![/QUOTE]

I always feel like even when I make a list I have to re-check it all and make sure BB didn't adjust their values on me.

True that...the thing is to make a list tonight, the re-check it via the BB estimator again in the morning before you actually purchase anything.

Is there a semi-up to date list of games we should look for?

Thanks in advance, hoping to snag some cheap 360 games...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean you'll actually use the promo the way it's intended?;):applause: Good man. Although I have NEVER understood the rabid fandom behind sports titles that are seemingly the same damn thing year in and year out.

To each their own though, but I'd probably just spend the credit on Amazon gift cards and do any pre-orders on there.;)[/QUOTE]

but once i get it can i can't take it right back off ....can i ?

i have not got a madden in like 2 years played last year with my bro in law and he handed my ass to me for first time ever in any game .....i want to shut his mouth up and let him know who the boss is again lol

bread's done
Back