The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='007']That's the one thing that I feel Nintendo got really, really right with the 3DS... StreetPass. It's an incentive to take the system with you when you leave your house.[/QUOTE]

It's an innovative idea I think, even if it's not for me. I might leave mine on like that, but discovered it eats the battery alive when you leave it like that LOL

[quote name='Anexanhume']Not universally. It uses more power when displaying white than LCDs do.[/QUOTE]I know, but on an overall average, it's less.
Unless the game is pure white, all the time.

I'm pretty glad they went this way.
Better black, and incredible refresh rate. My PSP games have a new life now, blur is gone!

[quote name='combatrhombus']My only complaint about this so far is that its really hard to hold after seems like 30+ minutes my hands started to hurt. I may just have to get used to holding it but this is my initial impression after playing 5-6 rounds in Hot Shots Golf.[/QUOTE]

Although its kind of big looking, this Nyko battery pack might help, and give you 3x battery power:

yi0js.jpg

Or a grip like the CTA one (no idea about quality/usefulness of this product or the Nyko one either, since neither are out yet):

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-PS-Vi..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1330019808&sr=1-1

[quote name='combatrhombus']My only complaint about this so far is that its really hard to hold after seems like 30+ minutes my hands started to hurt. I may just have to get used to holding it but this is my initial impression after playing 5-6 rounds in Hot Shots Golf.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the comfort factor, seemed a little awkward, but I am sure I'll get used to it.

My hands definitely feel better playing this for hours over my 3DS which is a relief.
Japanese store has Katamari and Army Corp demos up.

Complete opposite for me. I think this thing is much more comfortable to hold than the 3DS is.

[quote name='dallow']My hands definitely feel better playing this for hours over my 3DS which is a relief.
Japanese store has Katamari and Army Corp demos up.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I can only really do one set of races at a time on my 3DS until it kills my hands. I'll see how many Wipeout races I can tolerate on this thing.

So far the Vita is everything I expected and more. It's gorgeous, intuitive (for me), and the games I've played so far are beyond anything I've experienced on a handheld before. I expect my opinion to go through the roof after The Show comes out, but I'm glad I bit the bullet and picked up some extra games to enjoy.

I don't blame people for being gunshy after the quick 3DS drop, but I have zero regret and being able to play these games now until whenever that drop occurs is worth more to me than say, a $50 drop in six months or so.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, the OLED manufacterers seem to...well, lie, frankly :lol: Hey, if you just display this dark screen, it'll use less power!

I don't really understand why it's getting used at all over IPS, especially given the iPhone 4's screen beat out the OLED screens in almost every measure...and they last the longest of any tech.

Don't know if they're cheaper to make, or...? Used to be way more, but maybe that's no longer the case?[/QUOTE]

Better contrast, quicker response time, basically 180 degree viewing angles, higher color gamut are just some of the reasons.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Better contrast, quicker response time, basically 180 degree viewing angles, higher color gamut are just some of the reasons.[/QUOTE]

That stuff mostly applies to TN versus OLED, not IPS versus OLED. IPS displays at least as many colors, has basically perfect viewing angles, contrast is comparable (at the time of hte iPhone 4's launch the contrast was better than any OLED display), etc.

I mean not that OLED can't be good too, it just seems random to use it to me.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That stuff mostly applies to TN versus OLED, not IPS versus OLED. IPS displays at least as many colors, has basically perfect viewing angles, contrast is comparable (at the time of hte iPhone 4's launch the contrast was better than any OLED display), etc.

I mean not that OLED can't be good too, it just seems random to use it to me.[/QUOTE]

IPS displays number of colors depends on how many bits the panel is. I'd be interested to see tests that show the iphone 4 with better contrast and not marketing numbers.

Nobody seemed to notice it, but it doesn't seem that discounts for retail games are locked at 10%. Dynasty Warriors Next, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Shinobido 2, Touch My Katamari, and BlazBlue are $5 off, which is 12.5% off for the $40 games and 16.7% for the $30 games.

The more I'm using this, the more I feel like this is one of the best OSes of any of my gadgets. I like it for the same reason I liked the WebOS software, it allows for true multitasking. iOS and Android both allow you to have multiple programs running at the same time but in order to switch between them you have to go back to it on the menu and click on its icon again. With Vita and WebOS, you get a setup that's similar almost to minimized windows. Its great to be able to so seamlessly switch between running programs.

[quote name='iamthekiller']
The wifi is dreadfully slow. It took almost 2 hours to download 3 demos. All other wifi devices sitting right next to the vita download quickly.
[/QUOTE]

I think this is more of a PSN thing myself. Both my PS3 and PSP 3000 take forever to download stuff, not even including installation. The last game I picked up, Ys Chronicles, is about a gig, and it took my PS3 half an hour to download it. If I were to download a 1 gig file on my computer from a fast server, it would only take a few minutes.

The Content manager is terrible. The only way to imports songs is by song title? Hey sony I have over 6,000 songs....gimme some options.

Plus I am really bummed that so many of the PSP game won't work (I'll check the PS3 transfer tomorrow).

On the positive side, Amazon send me a $20 credit because I missed out on the 4 gb card.

has anyone seen a third party longer usb cable? I found out i could use my phones ac to usb adaptor to charge my vita and I want something longer than the official usb cable for keeping in another room

If you have a Vita, you should be sure to pick a panel for your entry on your friends' friends lists so they know that you have a Vita. Just go to Settings > PlayStation Network > Account Information and there are a ton to choose from for a lot of well-known and obscure games.

So far, Near's more of a success for me than StreetPass has been in the six months I've had my 3DS. I never once got a StreetPass hit, so there are no 3DS owners around here as far as I can tell, but I've got nine people that have Vitas within a few miles of me on Near. Even then, you can get random game goods from people on your friends list, so you don't need to be in the same physical location to get stuff from them. I also like the friends activity list give you a good feed about what your friends have been doing, though it should show more about who's playing what games and not just be about trophies. They don't explain the various parts of the app that well, so I'm not sure what all is there.

I've had like 10 true hits in Streetpass since launch of DS but those were still more exciting to discover than the people around me using Near.

Still, it's nice to see a good number of people with Vitas around me import games. Saw a few playing full versions of Gravity Daze, Ragnarok Odyssey, and more.

[quote name='Anexanhume']IPS displays number of colors depends on how many bits the panel is. I'd be interested to see tests that show the iphone 4 with better contrast and not marketing numbers.[/QUOTE]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4163/verizon-iphone-4-review/6

[quote name='dallow']Uh yeah, IPS (and there are many types) reaches nowhere near the contrast levels of any type of OLED display. Including when the iPhone 4 launched.

Screen details from from the iPhone 4 launch review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/5[/QUOTE]

Err...Anandtech is precisely why I know that's not true. And also remember the IPS screen's going to be doing better in terms of perception than in an objective test (even though it does very well in tests) because it can't do an absolute black, so contrast numbers will be skewed in favor of OLED.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Although its kind of big looking, this Nyko battery pack might help, and give you 3x battery power:

yi0js.jpg

Or a grip like the CTA one (no idea about quality/usefulness of this product or the Nyko one either, since neither are out yet):

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-PS-Vi..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1330019808&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

Played last night for a good hour or two, and I feel like I'm getting used to the system and holding the device(my hands/wrist didn't hurt). Thanks for the link but I don't want my vita to turn into a wii, with a thousand different accessories, I want it to be lite and be able to play on the fly. Charge and play, I'm content.

I've never fully understood the dos and don'ts of maximizing the battery life of these type of devices, so let me ask this. Would I be doing any harm by keeping my Vita plugged in at work all day and then using it at home while it's not plugged in and pretty much repeating this process every day, or should I unplug it once it's fully charged and use until it's basically dead. I've always heard it used to be that you would want to drain it pretty good before charging but I didn't know if that was still true (or ever true at all for that matter).

[quote name='chriscolbert']I've never fully understood the dos and don'ts of maximizing the battery life of these type of devices, so let me ask this. Would I be doing any harm by keeping my Vita plugged in at work all day and then using it at home while it's not plugged in and pretty much repeating this process every day, or should I unplug it once it's fully charged and use until it's basically dead. I've always heard it used to be that you would want to drain it pretty good before charging but I didn't know if that was still true (or ever true at all for that matter).[/QUOTE]

Leave it plugged in. Charging til it's dead was correct, before Li-ion.

Yup, plug it in whenever you can. Lithium likes to be kept "topped off", and the deeper you discharge, the more damage you do to the battery. Like playing it down to 90% 10 times does less damage than draining it to 0% once, if that makes sense. (Well, in theory...of course the battery meters aren't actually that accurate, so 90% might not really be 90%, but hopefully I'm getting the point across.)

Ideally you'd actually want to play it plugged in. Like at home, if you're near an outlet, plug it in. I really only use my portable unplugged like in the car or somewhere like that.

[quote name='elessar123']Leave it plugged in. Charging til it's dead was correct, before Li-ion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yup, plug it in whenever you can. Lithium likes to be kept "topped off", and the deeper you discharge, the more damage you do to the battery. Like playing it down to 90% 10 times does less damage than draining it to 0% once, if that makes sense. (Well, in theory...of course the battery meters aren't actually that accurate, so 90% might not really be 90%, but hopefully I'm getting the point across.)

Ideally you'd actually want to play it plugged in. Like at home, if you're near an outlet, plug it in. I really only use my portable unplugged like in the car or somewhere like that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys!

Wolfpup, how did I have a hunch you might chime in on a battery question? ;)

[quote name='prayformojo']Two things:
1) Screen protector? Yes or No
2) Super Stardust Delta? Bundle or solo game

Thanks[/QUOTE]

IMO yes, and bundle.

[quote name='prayformojo']
1) Screen protector? Yes or No

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't imagine NOT putting a screen protector on a device like this given the cost of it. Yeah, they're a pain to put on and there's always a piece of lint or something that gets trapped, but I consider it a no-brainer.

Trying to set up a 3G account has been infuriating thus far in terms of either the speed of the 3G network, the reliability of the network, or the touch input recognition of the system. It's fucking awful.

This is the first thing I've done with the system, and I just want my damned super stardust bundle, man.

buy the screen protector but get gamestop to put it on for you. i bought a screen protector and armor shell and now i feel much safer. as far as battery is concerned would it be safe to charge this thing from my power inverter in my car? also anyone try one of those usb power packs yet? is that nyko grip/battery on sale yet?

Ugh, tried 3 times to set up a dataconnect pass. it failed every time, reset, and made me re-enter all my information over again.

a pretty aggravating first hour with the system, I must say.

Hey guys,

Is there a list somewhere of what psp games work with the vita or do all of them work? I was gonna buy a few cheap games off the psn and just want to make sure I don't spend money on something that doesnt work.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Not what I asked for. The OLED panels aren't even on there because their contrast measurement is essentially infinite.[/QUOTE]

Yes, OLED is on there. And no, they aren't all better. Actually on that chart NONE of them do as well, though there are some better ones available now. One has half the contrast of the IPS screen used on the iPhone 4. Heck, the *TN* panel on my Asus G74 has double the contrast of at least one of the OLED screens on there.

And your "essentially infinite" comment is exactly what I was talking about before. You have to be careful what your measuring, as if you can get "infinite" contrast ratio that's actually worse in the real world than the contrast on a TN panel.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Maybe I'm weird, but I can't imagine NOT putting a screen protector on a device like this given the cost of it. Yeah, they're a pain to put on and there's always a piece of lint or something that gets trapped, but I consider it a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't not have one on a DS or 3DS, but I guess I'd be less concerned about Vita because it's got a glass screen. I assume/hope it'll be unscratchable in normal use like Apple's glass screens are.

Though on the other hand, I care a lot more about the screen being pristine on a game system than a music player!

[quote name='bill123']Hey guys,

Is there a list somewhere of what psp games work with the vita or do all of them work? I was gonna buy a few cheap games off the psn and just want to make sure I don't spend money on something that doesnt work.[/QUOTE]

There is an 'official' list that was posted to the PlayStation Blog that includes 275 compatible PSP/Mini titles. According to other websites though there are more titles that work, but are not on Sony's list.

[quote name='dallow']Vita's top layer is plastic.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I thought I read it was glass? I thought it FELT pretty good...

Yikes, if it's plastic, then yeah, get a screen protector on there!

[quote name='mykevermin']Ugh, tried 3 times to set up a dataconnect pass. it failed every time, reset, and made me re-enter all my information over again.

a pretty aggravating first hour with the system, I must say.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I burned over an hour the night I got my Vita trying to get the 3G data plan activated and ended up giving up and going to bed. In the morning I had to call my credit card company because they had flagged the attempts as a possible problem and they removed the red flag on transactions from AT&T. When I tried again, it finally worked...got the 3G data plan activated and then added the second free month. Now I just need to wait the 30 days to get the free game code.

[quote name='dallow']It definitely is, and like you said, it's quite smooth and firm despite that.
I still don't like screen protectors though.[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for letting me know, both so I don't give out bad advice, and in case I go nuts with a Vita anyway :lol:

[quote name='iamthekiller']Vita's screen is certainly plastic and will definitely scratch easily without protection, however "hard" you believe it to be, it's fucking plastic.[/QUOTE]

yeah i broke down and put one on mine. not because of scratches but mostly i got tired of wiping off the smudges every half hour of gaming

My only two complaints so far is that I can't register my sony card on the device to get PSN content for some reason and the thumbsticks' short throw makes it hard to get used to them and be accurate.

Tip on installing screen protectors. I have used one on every handheld and phone since my GBA.

Wait until you are someone is done with a hot shower/bath and go do it in there. The humidity thats added to the room will knock down all dust particles and make it a lot easier to get a clean stick.

bread's done
Back