The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='BREVITY']Tip on installing screen protectors. I have used one on every handheld and phone since my GBA.

Wait until you are someone is done with a hot shower/bath and go do it in there. The humidity thats added to the room will knock down all dust particles and make it a lot easier to get a clean stick.[/QUOTE]

This times a bajillion.

Did it with my Official Sony protectors and got it on dust free on the first try.

Ok, got the 3G network set up. Now to wait until I get my Stardust code so I can cancel it.

Looking at my screen, I have all the 'app bubbles' at the top in order of most recently opened to least (left to right). Are those "open" apps? If so, how do I close those?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/24/ps-vita-our-9-favorite-tips/

Sony has some nice tips for getting more out of the Vita's features:
If you’ve picked up PS Vita then you’ve probably been too busy plowing through the dense launch line-up to have spent much time browsing the Settings menu. Luckily, you don’t need to – we’ve spent plenty of time with PlayStation’s new crown jewel and we’ve put together a few favorite tips and tricks we wanted to share. Of course, this is just a start: We want your tips, too!

If you’ve discovered any favorite PS Vita functions, please share them in the comments for all to enjoy this weekend.

1. Order in the court! By now, you’ve probably figured out how to move your game and app bubbles around the Home Menu by pressing and holding one using the front touchscreen, enabling you to drag it around into different frame. You can even change the background color or image by tapping the theme icon in the bottom right of each frame. Get creative and design your own background images (which you can transfer to your PS Vita via PS3) like James Gallagher from the EU PlayStation Blog did here.

2. Let there be light. You can adjust your PS Vita’s OLED screen brightness mid-game without the hassle of jumping into the Settings menu. Just hold the PS button to bring up a quick-access menu that enables you to adjust brightness and your custom music options. Wanna listen to the soundtrack to Armageddon while carving through Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus? Don’t miss a thing, baby.

3. Call for backup. Let’s face it: electronic devices have an uncanny affinity for toilets. We can’t prevent that, but we can help ensure you don’t lose your precious saved game data. Simply connect your PS Vita to your PS3 via the USB cable, open up the Content Manager on your PS Vita, and select the the Back Up option to back up all your PS Vita’s game data and gain a little extra peace of mind.

4. Say cheese! PS Vita comes equipped with a simple but game-changing new feature: The ability to snap screenshots of your in-game exploits. Just press the PS button and Start at the same time: You’ll see a white flash and hear the snap of a camera shutter and the resulting image will be saved and neatly categorized in your Photos gallery. You’ll be able to take screenshots in the vast majority of games, though not every game.

5. Prettier PSP games. PS Vita currently supports more than 275 legacy digital PSP games and more are on the way. You can also improve the way those lower-resolution PSP games look on the PS Vita’s screen by pressing and holding the front touchscreen to bring up a Settings menu where you can activate several options. Checking “bilinear filtering” and “color space” seems to yield consistently smoother results, but experiment with your PSP games to find your favorite combination.

6. Slip into something more comfortable. PS Vita enables you to adopt a custom panel to add a little flair to your PSN presence. To change your PSN panel, navigate to Settings, PSN, Account Information, and Panel to choose from a wide assortment of artwork from first and third-party games.

7. Remote Play renaissance. Ever wish you could log into your PS3 remotely to access a video or initiate a PlayStation Store download? This handy feature isn’t technically new — it was supported on PSP — but thanks to PS Vita’s monstrous OLED screen and more powerful processors, it’s more useful than ever. Protip: Remote Play is compatible with any PSone games you may have on your hard drive, along with a handful of classic PSN games such as PixelJunk Monsters, PixelJunk Eden, and Peggle.

8. Bluetooth bliss. PS Vita supports high-quality stereo Bluetooth for audio output, so if you’ve got a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones (ahem), you can pipe in your game audio without restricting wires. In the Settings menu, touch Network and Bluetooth Settings and you’ll be able to pair your headphones to your new PS Vita. If you get stuck on the pairing code, try “0000.” If that doesn’t work, check the manual that came with your headphones (or look it up online) to find the proper four-digit code. Now enjoy a better life — a life without wires!

9. Silence is golden. Some people like soft jazz, others prefer silence. If you want to turn off PS Vita’s toe-tappin’ menu music, you’ll find the option in Settings > Sound & Display > System Music. While you’re there, you’ll notice an AVLS option. This limits the maximum volume when using headphones — perfect if you share your PS Vita with a little one.

[quote name='mykevermin']Ok, got the 3G network set up. Now to wait until I get my Stardust code so I can cancel it.

Looking at my screen, I have all the 'app bubbles' at the top in order of most recently opened to least (left to right). Are those "open" apps? If so, how do I close those?[/QUOTE]

swipe left to right to get to the open apps, then peal them off like the lock screen, and they will close.

Why is the content manager terrible? I want to load some music on my system to play during Wipeout and it apparently expects me to scroll through hundreds of songs by title only?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Why is the content manager terrible? I want to load some music on my system to play during Wipeout and it apparently expects me to scroll through hundreds of songs by title only?[/QUOTE]

I think its going to take time before these kinds of features become more usable . . . haven't even booted my Vita yet, it just arrived today and I haven't applied the screen protectors or charged it, so I have no experience. But I would assume they'll improve the content manager with updates. Blame hackerz and piractes for forcing us into using CM instead of just connecting via USB and copying files in the normal manner, like the PSP.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I think its going to take time before these kinds of features become more usable . . . haven't even booted my Vita yet, it just arrived today and I haven't applied the screen protectors or charged it, so I have no experience. But I would assume they'll improve the content manager with updates. Blame hackerz and piractes for forcing us into using CM instead of just connecting via USB and copying files in the normal manner, like the PSP.[/QUOTE]
I'll blame corporate overreaction.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Why is the content manager terrible? I want to load some music on my system to play during Wipeout and it apparently expects me to scroll through hundreds of songs by title only?[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing at first but then I figured out all you have to do is hit cancel and press back and then you can choose from artists, albums, genres and songs.

[quote name='JG5253']I thought the same thing at first but then I figured out all you have to do is hit cancel and press back and then you can choose from artists, albums, genres and songs.[/QUOTE]
Well that certainly could have been more intuitive...

Thank you.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Well that certainly could have been more intuitive...

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if my direction weren't clear

[quote name='JG5253']Sorry if my direction weren't clear[/QUOTE]
Your directions were clear as a bell. I meant that the Vita's interface with the content manager could have been more intuitive.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Can you only play downloaded PS1 games on the Vita or can you play the PS2 ones as well?[/QUOTE]
neither as of right now. only ps1 games can be played via remote play. kinda sucks.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']neither as of right now. only ps1 games can be played via remote play. kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok what exactly is remote play? Do I hbe to be in the same room as my ps3?

[quote name='WV Matsui']Ah ok what exactly is remote play? Do I hbe to be in the same room as my ps3?[/QUOTE]
no it can work wirelessly. you just need to connect with the ps3.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Your directions were clear as a bell. I meant that the Vita's interface with the content manager could have been more intuitive.[/QUOTE]

Yea I know I thought it was kind of dumb and I found out by accident. They should really bring up those options first but I'm sure they will fix it with updates.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']no it can work wirelessly. you just need to connect with the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Ok so same house...cool

The case and stuff I'd gotten came with a screen protector and I applied it almost perfectly but here were bubbles at the top right. All my efforts to fix that just ended up making things worse so I ended up just doing without. Is that big Hori front cover the highest regarded screen protector right now? Do any brick and mortars carry it and and if not where's the cheapest online retailer?

Here are my thoughts after playing with it for a couple hours. I haven't played any games yet.
+ The screen is great

+ The touch controls are very responsive and snappy

+ Near is limited but pretty cool. Maps is slow but works well and you only need a WiFi connection. Welcome Park is also a good tutorial/game to get you acquainted with the basic functions of the system. As a side note, I had no idea that 'acquainted' had a 'c' in it until now.

+ The power cord + brick + usb cord = about 8.5 feet total which is good for me since I like to play plugged in as much as I can

+ Very easy to change the lock screen/wallpaper images and move the icons around for a little customization

- The browser functions as you'd expect from a device like this but doesn't make use of any of the buttons...why not? Some scrolling/page forward and back buttons and such would make it much better.

- Camera is garbage. I know that's standard with these things and no surprise but it's no excuse. The technology is out there. It should have been much better than it is for the price of this thing.

- no .avi support. I would never use this thing honestly to watch much but god dammit it should support at least .avi

- There is an error linking your PSN account when you first boot the system. It has to update first (how god damn typical Sony!). So you have to choose to link your account later then finish the setup then update and
then link your account. It's just very durrrr.

- I got my 3G + 8gb card for $240 so I have no complaint but for everyone else that did not, why in the merry mother
fuck was memory not included with this thing?? You can't really do shit without it. It's not some extra accessory it is basically a mandatory part of the Vita to get any enjoyment out of it! For christs sake Sony get it together and include memory with every Vita. You're going to kill your own sales!

- 3G...why do I need this for $50 extra + at least another $15 for a whopping 250MB? If you reallly need that 3G then great get that one otherwise just get the wifi. I have next to no use for it. And seriously, making people pay for a month of 3G to get their "free" game is bullshit. Go think about that some more Sony and if you still think that's a good idea please just kill yourselves.

- The game prices. whatthe
fuck.jpg

Bottom Line: Vita itself is overall a great device that could be better if Sony wasn't being ran by a bunch of dumbasses. It has awesome potential and I hope Sony gets it together and puts these things in consumers hands.

The 3G model (if not discontinued altogether) should be $225 or so and include at least 4GB memory. The Wifi model should also include at least 4GB and be about $200. Many many more people would have jumped on it at those prices and they would have easily made more money in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']
- 3G...why do I need this for $50 extra + at least another $15 for a whopping 250MB? If you reallly need that 3G then great get that one otherwise just get the wifi. I have next to no use for it. And seriously, making people pay for a month of 3G to get their "free" game is bullshit. Go think about that some more Sony and if you still think that's a good idea please just kill yourselves.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's all (or at least mostly) AT&T's doing, not Sony's.

I also don't see much issue with the game prices, unless you mean the digital version prices.

Can a member of the SDF (TMK or Thomas in particular) explain why the retail version of Marvel Vs. Capcom requires 4 gigs? That basically means that the game installs itself and doesn't use the retail cartridge for anything. I don't really care all that much since I bent over and took it on the 32 gig card, but it fucks over anyone with a 4 gig card pretty hard.

Also, Uncharted is a 40-50 dollar tech demo. There is a good game underneath it all, but the gimmicky stuff hurts the experience. I hope the next one ditches have this stuff and focuses more on making a tighter Uncharted experience.

can you back up your game saves to the cloud like on ps3? also anyway to check battery percent and not just the bar estimate? also how do you delete the install of game but not the save?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the retail version of Marvel Vs. Capcom requires 4 gigs?[/QUOTE]

Are you for serious? That would be a nuisance on a PS3 with a 120GB hard drive, but on a console where it occupies at the very *least* 25% of your memory unless you bought the most expensive card, that's fucking outrageous.

Capcom has fast become my least favorite publisher of the past few years, and this only compounds that.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Ok so same house...cool[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can use remote play anywhere as long as you have wi-fi wherever you go. And if the PS3 has it at home too. I'm not positive since I haven't tried that yet but I could've sworn I read that in a couple articles.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Can a member of the SDF (TMK or Thomas in particular) explain why the retail version of Marvel Vs. Capcom requires 4 gigs? That basically means that the game installs itself and doesn't use the retail cartridge for anything. I don't really care all that much since I bent over and took it on the 32 gig card, but it fucks over anyone with a 4 gig card pretty hard.[/QUOTE]

I have the game and it doesn't require 4gigs. I think you're thinking about the 4MB game save or whatever it is like was mentioned in the previous post.

Sears Vita launch picture....took from sd site.
I don't remember a launch for a new system where stores only have 1-3 systems and 1-3 games..
Very strange. It clearly isnt a case of it selling like crazy. But seems to be an intentional low supplies being shipped to retailers to either create artifical shortage or maybe sony really couldn't get organized fast enough to launch the Vita with ample supplies for the US.

attachment.php

Sears sells video games still?

To be serious though, their games dept is on life support, especially with all the Sears and K-Marts scheduled to close.

————————————

Gimmicks aside in Uncharted, I'm really into the game even though at first I was pretty lukewarm about it.

Can someone convince me of a reason I should run out and grab it at Target tonight after putting my son to bed? I understand the 4gb card being included, but that's really only a $20 savings. Nothing to sneeze at, but do people think we will see an inevitable price drop/sale in the near future? I know speculation, but just looking for people's opinion.

The B2G1 will happen again so I am not worried about that.

[quote name='illmatic21']I have the game and it doesn't require 4gigs. I think you're thinking about the 4MB game save or whatever it is like was mentioned in the previous post.[/QUOTE]

*phew*

Well, I still hate Capcom.

[quote name='jmbreci']Can someone convince me of a reason I should run out and grab it at Target tonight after putting my son to bed? I understand the 4gb card being included, but that's really only a $20 savings. Nothing to sneeze at, but do people think we will see an inevitable price drop/sale in the near future? I know speculation, but just looking for people's opinion.

The B2G1 will happen again so I am not worried about that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'll be doing a price drop for a while. Maybe around the holidays or something but that's a long time to wait. I thought I read an article where Sony said they don't want to drop the price but it could be BS.

Like another post said, I'd say pick it up if there are any games that you're interested in. Or if you're interested in any games coming out in the near future like Unit 13, MLB 12, Little Big Planet, Gravity Daze, Mortal Kombat, etc. If none of those games interest you that much, might as well wait and see if there is a good sale in the future. I'd also say that if you have a PS3 already, that's another potential reason to get it. You'll get certain games on the PS3 for free if you buy the Vita version (or vice versa), like Hustle Kings or Motorstorm RC for 10 bucks. Remote play is pretty cool feature and I'm sure they'll fix it up and add to it in the future. I was playing Chrono Cross earlier on the Vita through remote play. Stuff like being able to transfer game saves in MLB 12 and other future games is another neat addition. There are just some cool features like that if you have both a Vita and a PS3.

It doesn't have anything to do with the quoted post, but I'd like to add that Netflix works well on the Vita. I only tried out Billy Madison and Samurai Champloo so far but both loaded up quickly and looked very nice on the screen.

Do a ton of people really have a problem with the game prices? I don't. These are quality games, only difference from the ps3 is the graphics/resolution. UMVC3 is pretty much a direct port, for example, and is the same price as the console version. If you look around, you can easily tons of deals, and individually get $5-10 less than retail. 35 bucks for a quality portable game is good in my book.

Now, the psn store prices for older titles, there people def have a point. Some of it is just ridic.

[quote name='therealdanhill']Do a ton of people really have a problem with the game prices? I don't. These are quality games, only difference from the ps3 is the graphics/resolution. UMVC3 is pretty much a direct port, for example, and is the same price as the console version. If you look around, you can easily tons of deals, and individually get $5-10 less than retail. 35 bucks for a quality portable game is good in my book.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't get it. I mean I love that portable games have always been cheaper than their "big" counterparts in the U.S....I still love that, but there's no particular reason for it. Just some weird perception thing here. Heck, these games are STILL cheaper.

I don't know about any price drops, but I bet we'll get a game/system/memory card bundle before too long. Thought about pulling the trigger last night but didn't think about it long.

[quote name='nickerous']I don't know about any price drops, but I bet we'll get a game/system/memory card bundle before too long. Thought about pulling the trigger last night but didn't think about it long.[/QUOTE]

Like the FEB (and technically the 3G Launch) bundle? ;)

[quote name='therealdanhill']Do a ton of people really have a problem with the game prices?[/QUOTE]

I think $30, maybe $35 is a good price point for a portable game. Uncharted at $50 is laughable to me, but I got it from Lockerz so I paid much less. I'm not crazy about $40, but if the game is really good I will bite. I was happy to see that Vita has a range of game prices starting at $29.99, instead of everything automatically being $39.99.

[quote name='jza1218']Neither of which are the wifi only model.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but they are system/game/memory card bundles. Just like he talked about.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I don't think they came with a game. And no Little Deviants doesn't count.[/QUOTE]

Why doesn't Little Deviants count? And I said "technically" about the 3G launch bundle because Super Stardust Delta is part of the bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back