The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='usickenme']so what is the work around for the setup loop?[/QUOTE]

Create a temp account, do the update, then log into your PSN account.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']That Sony protective film was a waste of $10. I ruined both of them because the top layer wouldn't peel off of the actual protective film, fuck![/QUOTE]

lol same thing happened to me

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']guys, i bought a physical copy of ninja gaiden today and it said that it would not install?
the error code is C0-11276-7. Any advice[/QUOTE]
Hold down power for 20 or so seconds to force restart.
When it comes back up, there'll be an option for "rebuild database' or something. I've heard that works.

I couldn't help but laugh at the infinite loop in the setup process. Having to tell it to ignore PSN, create a temporary account, download the update, and THEN sign into PSN was a complete waste of time.

Other than that little bump in the road, the system has been fantastic. I spend hours trying to earn all of the trophies in Welcome Park (got them all but the two hardest slider puzzle ones, which I doubt I'll ever get) and just playing around with stuff. I picked up Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden, and UMvC3 and all three of them seem pretty great so far.

Sony seemed to learn their lesson with the WIFI this time. Downloading and installing is MUCH quicker than the PS3's horrible built-in WIFI. I really like the screen capture feature too (press PS button and Start together). The OS isn't the greatest but it could be worse; I would have liked some customization there, at least let me change the background color!. Anybody with an Android phone/tablet will feel right at home.

[quote name='jza1218']Create a temp account, do the update, then log into your PSN account.[/QUOTE]

thanks ,I know it was probably already asked but I could remember the exact solution.

I know at least one person on here was waiting to find out...

Bad news. I got my Vita today, pulled it apart (10 screws to get at the battery, though the bigger problem is just the force required to pry it apart). Pulled the battery connection, and it does NOT work with the battery pulled. The home button lights up...and that's it.

So this is as bad as Nintendo's systems, only worse, given the battery is harder to get at. Not at all pleased. I think I may mess around with remoteplay, and then get rid of it. Wish I wasn't out the $250 - whatever I get for it, but at least I can warn others.

If not for this battery issue I was seriously considering standardizing on Vita for multiplatform games, but...

EDIT: Oh, for the person claiming the battery was somehow for some unknown reason connected to the rear touchpad....it goes without saying, but obviously it is not.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I know at least one person on here was waiting to find out...

Bad news. I got my Vita today, pulled it apart (10 screws to get at the battery, though the bigger problem is just the force required to pry it apart). Pulled the battery connection, and it does NOT work with the battery pulled. The home button lights up...and that's it.

So this is as bad as Nintendo's systems, only worse, given the battery is harder to get at. Not at all pleased. I think I may mess around with remoteplay, and then get rid of it. Wish I wasn't out the $250 - whatever I get for it, but at least I can warn others.

If not for this battery issue I was seriously considering standardizing on Vita for multiplatform games, but...

EDIT: Oh, for the person claiming the battery was somehow for some unknown reason connected to the rear touchpad....it goes without saying, but obviously it is not.[/QUOTE]
I'll buy it off you for $150 since it's so egregious for Sony's handheld to perform like this.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I know at least one person on here was waiting to find out...

EDIT: Oh, for the person claiming the battery was somehow for some unknown reason connected to the rear touchpad....it goes without saying, but obviously it is not.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck is wrong with you?

what? i don't even

You grow up under power lines?

I like the interface changes they've made to the PS Store, as you more easily browse lists without having to back out and in all of the time. My only issue is that they took out the cart system from the PS3's store, which means that you have to buy everything individually.

Really like the battery life now that I've spent a good amount of time with it. [quote name='Wolfpup']EDIT: Oh, for the person claiming the battery was somehow for some unknown reason connected to the rear touchpad....it goes without saying, but obviously it is not.[/QUOTE]No one ever claimed this. It was the response of a Sony rep at the PS Blog.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I like the interface changes they've made to the PS Store, as you more easily browse lists without having to back out and in all of the time. My only issue is that they took out the cart system from the PS3's store, which means that you have to buy everything individually.[/QUOTE]
That kind of sucks, though I've rarely bought multiple (non-bundled) items at once.

[quote name='dallow']Really like the battery life now that I've spent a good amount of time with it. No one ever claimed this. It was the response of a Sony rep at the PS Blog.[/QUOTE]
You have the Wi-Fi only version? What's the battery life been like for you?

I'm really enjoying my system so far. The UI is very responsive, and it's easy to navigate. The browser is lightning fast as well. It seems like it's a true successor to the PSP, and I bought the PSP day 1 as well. Still have it as a matter of fact. I really enjoy getting trophies for some reason lol. It feels like a mini PS3 in my hands. The thumb sticks are good, but weird for me because I feel like I need to press them for an extra button.

The screen is bright, colorful, and crisp. Games look incredible. I got the Vita to play Uncharted, and I'm not disappointed. It's just jaw dropping. I feel like I'm going to be using this thing for a long while to come. Very happy with my purchase!

The dumbphone interface with the little orbs is embarrassingly ugly. It really looks like shit compared to the XMB on PS3 and Psp. Having to double touch everything is annoying.

The wifi is dreadfully slow. It took almost 2 hours to download 3 demos. All other wifi devices sitting right next to the vita download quickly.

It's all about the games, though, and everything I've played so far has been impressive. Its a bit difficult to avoid accidentally touching the rear panel.

[quote name='iamthekiller']The dumbphone interface with the little orbs is embarrassingly ugly. It really looks like shit compared to the XMB on PS3 and Psp. Having to double touch everything is annoying.

The wifi is dreadfully slow. It took almost 2 hours to download 3 demos. All other wifi devices sitting right next to the vita download quickly.

It's all about the games, though, and everything I've played so far has been impressive. Its a bit difficult to avoid accidentally touching the rear panel.[/QUOTE]

I think the interface is actually quite brilliant. servers are probably being hit hard on launch.

[quote name='iamthekiller']The dumbphone interface with the little orbs is embarrassingly ugly. It really looks like shit compared to the XMB on PS3 and Psp. Having to double touch everything is annoying.

It's all about the games, though, and everything I've played so far has been impressive. Its a bit difficult to avoid accidentally touching the rear panel.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded two demos (Rayman and Unit 13) in about 20 minutes.

[quote name='skiizim']Does anybody know how to delete anything or move apps games around?[/QUOTE]

Hold your finger on them like it was on an iOS device. Then to delete tap it for the option. To move drag.

Anyone know what that second slot is on the top of the wifi model?

[quote name='skiizim']Does anybody know how to delete anything or move apps games around?[/QUOTE]

same as smartphones, hold your finger down till the screen goes into edit mode.

I believe you long press on app and it let's you move apps, add extra pages, nd I think delete apps

[quote name='JG5253']I believe you long press on app and it let's you move apps, add extra pages, nd I think delete apps[/QUOTE]

You can't delete. For example, you're stuck with the "welcome pack" on one of your tabs for the life of the system.

[quote name='Nohbdy']What's the battery life with the screen at its lowest brightness and no wireless functions turned on?[/QUOTE]

Nobody has run such a test.

[quote name='Nohbdy']What's the battery life with the screen at its lowest brightness and no wireless functions turned on?[/QUOTE]

Based on previous tests after the Japanese launch, I'd say 5-6 hours max.

[quote name='iamthekiller']You can't delete. For example, you're stuck with the "welcome pack" on one of your tabs for the life of the system.[/QUOTE]
You can delete apps, obviously not the pre installed ones though.

[quote name='pjb16']You have the Wi-Fi only version? What's the battery life been like for you?[/QUOTE]
I have 3G but keep that turned off.
I played Uncharted for 3 hours on headphones and battery had just hit halfway.
Just messing with apps or demos barely affected it.

When I'm not using it I keep it on the cradle so it's always charged. I'm pleased.

From a design perspective, I literally have zero idea how they expected people to hold this thing. Between the back touch panel and the speakers, most of the 'normal' holding ways just don't work. fucking bizarre. And again, seriously, who the fuck decided that was the place for the speakers? They're not great to begin with, let alone when my hand is on top of them. Sigh.

Overall, though, I like the system. I say that, though, with the caveat that I'm basically going to use it for games and little else. The browser is surprisingly better than I expected, but I haven't really played around with much of the other new features. I banished Welcome Park to the third screen without opening it. Near is interesting, but I can't get over the fact that I'm uncomfortable broadcasting my PSN ID in order to use the basic functions of it. The cameras are a bit crap. It's a nice set of features, sure, but I'm much more interested in the games.

Which, really, is good... because I'm impressed. This is mainly my Hots Shots Golf machine for the forseeable future, but I also tried out Uncharted and MvC3. MvC3 is beautiful, and likely the game I'll use to show off the system. Uncharted, while pretty as fuck, is a game where you can see behind the curtain. It looks nice, but you can see the tricks and whatnot they used to run the engine. It's not PS3 quality, but it's close... just not quite close enough to fool anyone, unlike the aforementioned MvC3.

One question for the 3G owners... I haven't activated the 3G (and probably won't, beyond the free game), but I leave it on because I've noticed that it tends to pick my WiFi up better when the 3G is set to 'on' instead of 'completely fucking off'. Anyone else noticing this? Just me?

Yeah, you can delete. It looks like most of the pre-installed ones you can't but anything else can be deleted after you hold your finger down and the screen shakes it will show ". . ." in the upper right hand corner of the bubble. Tap that and it will give you a delete option.

Aw yeah, just used the $20 Amazon credit from pre-ordering the Wifi Vita toward Lumines and a travel pouch. I guess it's like I got the travel pouch for free. I just put it with Lumines for free shipping. That and Lumines is awesome.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Holy shit. I almost lost my 32 GB memory card because it's so tiny.[/QUOTE]

This shit almost happened to me, too. I opened my card from the package and it sling-shotted out. Fortunately it didn't go far.

Now, here's my question for the group. Anybody notice any of this with their screens?

http://translate.google.nl/translat...ita-scherm-wellicht-veel-voorkomend-probleem/

I was playing the Lumines demo with the lights off, and it stood out very apparently. Thought at first that maybe there were just fingerprints on the screen, but nope. Wonder if Sony will address this issue officially.

EDIT: OK, apparently it's something called OLED "mura," and it's normal:

http://psvitaforum.com/threads/black-spots-on-dark-screen.3399/

[quote name='FaintDeftone']The OS isn't the greatest but it could be worse; I would have liked some customization there, at least let me change the background color!. Anybody with an Android phone/tablet will feel right at home.[/QUOTE]

You can in edit mode, and each home page I believe.

To me the Vita is an upgrade over the PSP, which is exactly what I was looking for. The PSP was a decent handheld device at the time, but it started to show its age, and I lost interest. Plus, the UMD grinding/searching noise annoyed me to no end. I was embarrassed to play it in a quiet, public place. The Vita has no such problems. I grew up playing the original Gameboy in elementary school. I would actually pretend like I had to use the bathroom, and sneak outside to play. It's one of those memories that just sticks out for me. The Vita is just light years behind what I had as a kid, and the launch games are exactly what I wanted to play.

[quote name='JDTAY']I hear it's a common problem with OLED, not the Vita specifically.[/QUOTE]

I do wonder why they went with OLED instead of IPS.

[quote name='007']From a design perspective, I literally have zero idea how they expected people to hold this thing. Between the back touch panel and the speakers, most of the 'normal' holding ways just don't work. fucking bizarre. And again, seriously, who the fuck decided that was the place for the speakers? They're not great to begin with, let alone when my hand is on top of them. Sigh.

Overall, though, I like the system. I say that, though, with the caveat that I'm basically going to use it for games and little else. The browser is surprisingly better than I expected, but I haven't really played around with much of the other new features. I banished Welcome Park to the third screen without opening it. Near is interesting, but I can't get over the fact that I'm uncomfortable broadcasting my PSN ID in order to use the basic functions of it. The cameras are a bit crap. It's a nice set of features, sure, but I'm much more interested in the games.

Which, really, is good... because I'm impressed. This is mainly my Hots Shots Golf machine for the forseeable future, but I also tried out Uncharted and MvC3. MvC3 is beautiful, and likely the game I'll use to show off the system. Uncharted, while pretty as fuck, is a game where you can see behind the curtain. It looks nice, but you can see the tricks and whatnot they used to run the engine. It's not PS3 quality, but it's close... just not quite close enough to fool anyone, unlike the aforementioned MvC3.

One question for the 3G owners... I haven't activated the 3G (and probably won't, beyond the free game), but I leave it on because I've noticed that it tends to pick my WiFi up better when the 3G is set to 'on' instead of 'completely fucking off'. Anyone else noticing this? Just me?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I just want it for the games. I have a laptop, tablet, and pc to do other tasks on.

[quote name='pjb16']Personally, I just want it for the games. I have a laptop, tablet, and pc to do other tasks on.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Aside from games, this doesn't do anything different (or, more importantly, better) than what I already keep with me at all times. I picked up a case for when I go on business trips, nothing more. I guarantee 99% of my Vita playtime will be at home.

That's the one thing that I feel Nintendo got really, really right with the 3DS... StreetPass. It's an incentive to take the system with you when you leave your house. I've thrown mine in a coat pocket all winter, still rarely playing it outside of my home, if only because I always get excited to see that little green notification light pop up. On top of that, even without the notifications, you get the PlayCoins. They've given owners a reason to have the system with you, which will inevitably begin to make it feel like a thing you don't think twice about grabbing as you leave the house. Not to ascribe any emotion to it, but it makes the owner closer to the technology. It will never be to the level of a phone, but it's also managed to get people to carry around a device that they honestly don't need to have with them. That's a huge win for Nintendo. Not every consumer will care about those things, but even managing to make any extra percentage buy into is big.

Near, so far, makes me feel none of those things. I wake up, I realize I won't have time to play the Vita while I'm out... and it stays at home. It's bulky, too, which is another down point. It's an interesting idea, I just don't like the execution. Plus, after the debacle last year, I'm wary of broadcasting my PSN ID. Since I don't want to do that, most of the important features of Near are useless to me. I don't know what they need to change, but it reminds me a bit of PSHome at this point... a decent idea that was released half-baked.

Anyway, I apologize for the rant, but it was just something that occured to me this morning. I like the Vita, I really do... but the 3DS is what will go with me 99% of the time. Then again, it seems that Sony was aiming for a not-so-portable portable, so maybe that's the point. I don't know. The big battle for companies with portables right now is to get consumers to not only purchase them, but also to keep the device with them. Nintendo made that happen (not in all cases, obviously), but I can almost guarantee that the majority of Vitas will rarely leave home.

It's a fascinating little device from a design standpoint, really. It's a 50/50 split between brilliant ideas and things that just make me scratch my fucking head.

Played with it for about an hour and half last night and so far I am really impressed. I was not even thinking about getting one, but figured I could unload my unused PSP towards it, plus the B2G1 sales pushed me over the edge. Played almost exclusively Tales from Space and that is one great game. Downloaded a bunch of demos so I want to try those. I am hopeful for some sales on the digital copies, bc that does seem like what the system was made for. Also, the ability to buy and load PSP games factored in as well, since there are some good PSP games I missed (and I had two free from the security snafu). Time will tell how much I play it, but it will be killer on vacation and it was a good sign that it kept me off the Xbox last night.

I am extermely impressed with the Vita. I dont think I ever spent this much on a system day one, I purchased 6 vita games, Memory card, Carry case, Armor shell, screen protector, 2 digital Mini PSN game (Attack of blobs, Super Star Dust Delta Bundle) 3 PSP games (Tactics Ogre: Cling togother, Legend of Hearoes: Tales in the Sky, The 3rd Birthday)

[quote name='dallow']OLED is better for battery life.
And I guess they also wanted to "wow" the eyes from the rich color and blacks.[/QUOTE]

Not universally. It uses more power when displaying white than LCDs do.

My only complaint about this so far is that its really hard to hold after seems like 30+ minutes my hands started to hurt. I may just have to get used to holding it but this is my initial impression after playing 5-6 rounds in Hot Shots Golf.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Not universally. It uses more power when displaying white than LCDs do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the OLED manufacterers seem to...well, lie, frankly :lol: Hey, if you just display this dark screen, it'll use less power!

I don't really understand why it's getting used at all over IPS, especially given the iPhone 4's screen beat out the OLED screens in almost every measure...and they last the longest of any tech.

Don't know if they're cheaper to make, or...? Used to be way more, but maybe that's no longer the case?

bread's done
Back