The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Traded just ONE copy of the PS3 version in today...I may get a 360 version for the movie cash. My friends actually LOVED this movie (they saw it in 3D though).

[quote name='MightySlacker']You can get these for 17.99 at Circuit City with their gamer card (which if you've been kunaiing these it would have paid for itself already), plus theres a $15 off $100 coupon floating around. Be a little less than $100 for 6 copies

My Gamecrazy is gonna shit a brick when i come in to pricematch GR's trade-in value.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Are you doing 6 of them there? ;)
I'm going in with just the one. Do they sell it for $19.99 new now too, or have they not caught up yet? I was just wandering, because GC may have a native trade-in value of $33 or so (plus MVP) on it anyway if they haven't adjusted their prices yet. I guess I'll ask first to be sure. Also, I got the printed quote today - I hope they will accept that tomorrow or do you think I should drag myself in there tonight?

Should I unwrap the copies of Beowulf PS3 before trading them in?

Second, are there any other games besides Halo 3 that are good for buying at BB and kunaiing them over to EB/GS?

Would I be able to trade 5 copies of Halo 3 into GS/EB for the extra 360? Or do they all have to be different?

[quote name='mrhappi79']Should I unwrap the copies of Beowulf PS3 before trading them in?

Second, are there any other games besides Halo 3 that are good for buying at BB and kunaiing them over to EB/GS?

Would I be able to trade 5 copies of Halo 3 into GS/EB for the extra 360? Or do they all have to be different?[/QUOTE]

1) I always unwrap them but some people don't. I just figure it raises more suspicion if you trade them in unopened but it really depends on the employees. Also, that way I can swap out the new cases for old ones I have on my own games or from used games I buy. I have a huge stack of new cases for all systems that I can use when I buy a used game somewhere.

2) It is pretty rare to find anything that you can take from GR to EB for even money or better. Halo 3 is a bit of a fluke because GR is selling it for less than usual ($45 instead of $50 or $55) and EB/GS is giving more than usual ($32, was $35, instead of $25 or so) AND has a coupon (the extra 30% - now expired) or promo deal (30% on 5 games - still running).

3) Unfortunately you will most likely have to come up with 4 filler games to trade with each Halo 3, which may not make it worthwhile. Maybe another 30% bonus coupon will pop up. At best you could get away with 2 copies, maybe. 95% of EB/GS stores will let you trade 5 Halo 3's in on that promo.

Just kunaiied another 8 copies. I told the manager at my bonus store where I got the copies from and he picked up 4 copies for himself to kunai.

It's not stealing if you kunai it.

[quote name='djkunai']Just kunaiied another 8 copies. I told the manager at my bonus store where I got the copies from and he picked up 4 copies for himself to kunai.

It's not stealing if you kunai it.[/quote]I wish I had GRs with cool managers. None of the close by stores will take more than 1 copy of a game at a time. Everytime I try trading more than one copy of a game I get the old kunai deny!

[quote name='djkunai']Just kunaiied another 8 copies. I told the manager at my bonus store where I got the copies from and he picked up 4 copies for himself to kunai.

It's not stealing if you kunai it.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

They huffed and puffed at me for trading my ONE copy (and getting the trade quote) because I've been in there, like, the last 3 days either trading other games or buying Halo 3's. I wouldn't dare trading any more there :lol:.

Hmmm, I may get another tomorrow....what does the 360 version get again? That is the only one with movie cash I would assume as the PS3 had none.

[quote name='doubledown']Hmmm, I may get another tomorrow....what does the 360 version get again? That is the only one with movie cash I would assume as the PS3 had none.[/QUOTE]
360 version gets $35 (plus $5 moviecash). PS3 gets $36.

I got the "where did you get two of these?" question yesterday when I traded in two PS3 copies. I told him that Ubisoft had a B2G1 sale on their website, and since they don't make much for the PS3, I picked up Assassin's Creed and two Beowulf's. :)

Wow, I had no idea gamecrazy did PMs on trade in values.

I scored, just got $38 for my Xbox Beowulf because I had MVP.

Btw, does anyone know if MVP keeps track of the games you trade in? I want to flip a few more Beowulves. =X

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Wow, I had no idea gamecrazy did PMs on trade in values.

Btw, does anyone know if MVP keeps track of the games you trade in? I want to flip a few more Beowulves. =X[/QUOTE]

Hey now, they aren't supposed to tack MVP on top of the price match guarantee! In fact, I didn't even think that was possible in their system. 'course it could just be that my local GC guys just told me that so I wouldn't get even more credit from the deal ;). I haven't done Beowulf yet but I PM'd the Forza 2 trade-in price a few months ago.

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Wow, I had no idea gamecrazy did PMs on trade in values.

Btw, does anyone know if MVP keeps track of the games you trade in? I want to flip a few more Beowulves. =X[/QUOTE]

Yes, they can track all your transactions.

Actually, I had no idea GC matched trade credit either. I'll have to keep that in mind, as there's a lot more GC's than GR's near me.

[quote name='djkunai']Yes, they can track all your transactions.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, I guess I won't use MVP next time.

Plus I did think I got lucky with the MVP bonus. Its amazing, Beowulf for Xbox 360 regularly trades in for $6!

I'd like to flip a few more copies so... What may be the best method? MVP or not?

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Ouch, I guess I won't use MVP next time.

Plus I did think I got lucky with the MVP bonus. Its amazing, Beowulf for Xbox 360 regularly trades in for $6!

I'd like to flip a few more copies so... What may be the best method? MVP or not?[/quote]

No, they track everything on an account. If you trade, they can track all trades (and purchases) on that account. Even if you don't use MVP (which is attached to your account) they still have your account history.

[quote name='djkunai']No, they track everything on an account. If you trade, they can track all trades (and purchases) on that account. Even if you don't use MVP (which is attached to your account) they still have your account history.[/QUOTE]

Give them a fake phone number? T_T But then they may ask for my address.

Oh well. Gamecrazy doesn't seem to be very restrictive... Hopefully.

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Give them a fake phone number? T_T But then they may ask for my address.

Oh well. Gamecrazy doesn't seem to be very restrictive... Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

I've traded in several copies of the same game to multiple Gamecrazy's (much like many here do with their multiple GR stores) and they've never had a problem with it (note: never more than 1 copy at a time though). Also, unlike GR, I've never heard of anyone being banned from Gamecrazy for any type of trading practices. For one, they tend not to have the super-exploitable deals like GR has had in the past. But they also seem more reasonable with the trading business and the employees know a bit more about what's going on (so none of this banning because they think you are doing something fishy). That's not to say it couldn't happen, but if you were to spread 4-5 copies of Beowulf to 4-5 GC stores I don't see it being a problem at all. I would not do more than 1 to a given store, though, since you have to do the price match which draws a bit more attention to yourself, especially given the price discrepancy.

So Beowulf trades for $6 normally at GC, eh? I'll have to see how the guys at my store react when I bring in that BB trade slip tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't anal about it being from the day before.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Which version of Madden 2006 is $5 at GameStop and trades in for $8 (is that correct?) at BlockBuster/GR?[/quote]
:360: It's $3.99 I think I remember it being less than I expected when I grabbed a few...

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']Give them a fake phone number? T_T But then they may ask for my address.

Oh well. Gamecrazy doesn't seem to be very restrictive... Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

They are. It's 2 per title - anything more than that needs DM approval. I don't think the DM would be very quick to approve the PM though. That changed last year.

And yeah, they had to manually put in the MVP, cause it normally won't stack

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']They are. It's 2 per title - anything more than that needs DM approval. I don't think the DM would be very quick to approve the PM though. That changed last year.

And yeah, they had to manually put in the MVP, cause it normally won't stack

Dave[/quote]

Yeah, it changed fairly quickly two years ago after I traded in 17 copies of Dragonball Sagas on Xbox which was $5 from TRU and got me $17 with PM to GR.

Just traded:
PS3 Motorstorm $30 (I bought it there for $33 a few months ago!)
360 Table Tennis $8 (bought for $10 at BB!)

And... they had a copy of PS3 Rock Band in stock. This is the Lewisville, TX Gamerush on Main st. If anyone is looking. I'm holding out for the 360 version. I may try to kunai some Beowulfs to make up the price difference.

Just kunaied 4 more 360 copies- was told they can't take anymore (they're at 20+). Will kunai the 8 others I have somewhere else.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']So im curious.. do they give you cash for them or what? im a newb when it comes to trading in things..[/quote]
Store credit

Buy new for $18 @ EB using coupon trade to GR for $35/36 + tax credit if your store gives it + $5 movie cash I guess in the 360 version. I got PS3 versions gonna grab a few 360s though.

[quote name='djkunai']Just kunaied 4 more 360 copies- was told they can't take anymore (they're at 20+). Will kunai the 8 others I have somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

You are somethin' else, man...

Here I am all nervous about taking my second copy of Beowulf to GC for the trade-in price match after trading my first at Blockbuster yesterday.

[quote name='WKDCLWN']More like scam artist[/QUOTE]
It's not a scam. Maybe questionable ethics, but it's no worse than buying low and selling high on the stock market. It's a legitimate deal and trade, and that's what CAG is all about.

[quote name='djkunai']Just kunaied 4 more 360 copies- was told they can't take anymore (they're at 20+). Will kunai the 8 others I have somewhere else.[/quote]

Kunai do you ever go to West LA BBs? Because I plan on kunaiing some Beowulfs but I wanna make sure you haven't hit those up yet. Specifically the one on Sunset and Virgil and then on Venice near Roberton.

I'm strictly in the valley (Woodland Hills, Northridge, Reseda, Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks). Right now Northridge is flooded in Beowulf 360.

[quote name='djkunai']I'm strictly in the valley (Woodland Hills, Northridge, Reseda, Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks). Right now Northridge is flooded in Beowulf 360.[/QUOTE]
Ha, good. Stay outta Orange County! ;)

Since we are 'marking' our territory, I got Toms River(2 BB's), Brick(1), Wall(1) and Asbury(1) New Jersey for me. All on my way to work or within a couple miles of home.

Yup, I made some good profit today. Bought two copies of Beowulf, made $32 total (paid $40 for $72 in credit if you want that number), and then sold two copies of Madden 06 for the 360 for $8 for $16 in store credit, and used that money plus a little leftover credit for a brand new SIXAXIS controller.

Good stuff! From now on, I'm totally considering just trading in everything to Blockbuster until there's a good deal to transfer back to GameStop. GS completely raped me with Resistance: Fall of Man, so I will no longer be their fodder. :p

I went and traded in sonic the hedgehog, fantastic four 2, and MLB 2k7 for ps3 and got 16$ for each. I traded in Nascar 08 and Rainbow six Vegas and got 33 for each. I also saw like 5 copies of Rock band for xbox360 and Ps3. I was at the greenville, sc location though.

Whoo-hoo! I got $59 at GC after price matching $12 for Gun, $12 for Bionicle Heroes, and $35 for Beowulf (all 360). The normal GC trade-in price on all of those is $6! The guy couldn't believe it was only $6 for Beowulf and thought the system must be glitched (as the game just came out), so he had no problem adjusting it to the $35. Sweet...

I know the two are more or less the same thing, but can I do this at BB rather than GR? That's all I have in my area, and I'm pretty sure they accept trade-in's, but I'm not 100%, and I don't want to make the trip if it isn't certain.

[quote name='Rosco906']I know the two are more or less the same thing, but can I do this at BB rather than GR? That's all I have in my area, and I'm pretty sure they accept trade-in's, but I'm not 100%, and I don't want to make the trip if it isn't certain.[/QUOTE]

That's all I have any more (the one GR location within 600 miles of me closed in March of this year). So, yes.

Yup. There has never been a GR in Iowa ever, IIRC, so all I've been doing is trading it at the one down the street. They usually have a sign that tells you tha they accept trade-ins, and you're golden.

[quote name='io']Whoo-hoo! I got $59 at GC after price matching $12 for Gun, $12 for Bionicle Heroes, and $35 for Beowulf (all 360). The normal GC trade-in price on all of those is $6! The guy couldn't believe it was only $6 for Beowulf and thought the system must be glitched (as the game just came out), so he had no problem adjusting it to the $35. Sweet...[/quote]
Great to hear, io! You finally got a place that has something good to spend your credit on.

Woohoo! My dad lives 5 minutes away from a GR in FL, and they have 360's in stock! I'll be kunaiing some Madden 06es and some more Beowolfs today, then shipping him the gift card priority mail; he's going to head down when he gets it and send me the 360!

WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back