The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='neocisco']I haven't kept up with the thread lately. What's the deal with the Halo 3 flip to GS? Also, does the GS 30% bonus require a coupon?[/quote]
GR sells Halo 3 used for $44.99 and using the GS 30% bonus trade credit combined with your edge card you get $49 credit at Gamestop for it. People are just moving their remaining credit over to GS using this flip plus making a little at the same time.

GS coupon good only till 12/6: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162122

Man, I would definitely do the Halo thing but my local Blockbuster has never had a used Halo 3. They have 6 copies of Bioshock though :roll:.

In other news, I need to see if Bionicle Heroes or Gun (360) drops this week.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Thanks to this thread, i took in F1 and Motorstorm for PS3 and paid an additional 4.62 cents and got a new sealed Uncharted for PS3! They gave me 30 per game credit! Blockbuster rocks!![/QUOTE]

Still 30 for Motorstorm? I may have to take that in, thanks! : )

I've taken great advantage of the flips in this thread, and just wanted to say thanks. A local pawn shop has a few copies of Jaws for the Xbox at 4.99, and my Blockbuster can't/won't give quotes without the game present. Is this still holding at 19? Thanks again.

[quote name='io']Man, I would definitely do the Halo thing but my local Blockbuster has never had a used Halo 3. They have 6 copies of Bioshock though :roll:.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. I've got about $550 in GR credit left, and I'd love to transfer it.

No apparent drops today.

:wii:
Happy Feet $23

:ps3:
Darkness $33
Motorstorm $30
Warhawk $33
Untold Legends $20

:360:
Darkness $32
Hour of Victory $32
Over G Fighters $25
Open Season $15
Cars $8
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $8
Madden 06 $8
Madden 07 $8
Madden 08 $32

:xbox:
Jaws $16

:ps2:
Katamari Damacy $7
Jaws $16

Got hooked up with an employee discount for Superbad 2-Disc- just under $20 with tax (more like $10 because of flip credit).

Just a heads up:

PS2 Jaws Unleashed is currently on clearance at Target at $10 (50%) right now. It should drop to 75% sometime soon at most stores so a $5 buy to $16 trade in (if the value holds) would be pretty sweet.

From today (Tues):

:360: Bionicle Heroes $12 (d'oh! This was $15 before, so there's a drop that just happened. I forgot what it was when Iwas trading earlier. Oh well, only paid $4.41 for it anyway ;))
:360: Gun $12

And I just discovered that my local little Blockbuster DOES INDEED have used copies of Halo 3. Several in fact. They just kept them behind the register instead of out with the rest of the used games :bomb:...

Now I need to figure out how this coupon works and see if I can convert some of that useless credit!

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Copying and pasting the link does work. Your best flip is probably Halo still, $35 -> $49 with edge.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like Halo 3 dropped to $32 at EB/GS (according to a CAG in the 30% coupon thread) so the BEST you can do (coupon + Edge) is $44.80, and I could see my store denying the Edge stack. It is $45 at BB/GR, right? I may still do this but I have to admit the loss of $4 makes it just that much less tempting (considering also that I have to drive 20 miles round trip to the GS to do the trade by the 6th). It is really too bad BB didn't come up with the rumored used game sale in December - or at least not yet. 25% off or B2G1 free would have made a nice combo with the EB/GS coupon.

Does anyone know the trade values of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Shrek 3, and/or Spiderman 3 for 360? Sorry to ask but my Blockbuster won't give out quotes over the phone. Also my Blockbuster will only let me trade in two copies of a game period? Is that odd because I see lots of you guys saying two a day is your limit. Its just a regular Blockbuster if that matters. Thanks for any answers/help.

[quote name='Warner1281']Beowolf can be had at GS for $20 (online only maybe??). Trades in for $36 at Blockbuster (PS3).[/quote]
WOW that shit already hit $19.99 new for 360 and PS3! That SHOULD make used copies like 16 or 17... Time to start building credit again. This time though i'm gonna try to do as much as I can before the 30% GS coupon dies and use Halo 3 to move Gamerush credit back over to Gamestop credit.

Thanks Warner very nice find. :D

Edit: Didn't even see the huge thread about this. Went in and first thing I saw was DJ talking about how many thousands of dollars he gonna make flipping this game! :lol:

An individual store is certainly able to make up their own restrictions and 2 of a title, ever, is reasonable. There are always other Blockbusters if you need to spread more around. I kind of make it a personal rule not to do more than 1 or 2 copies of any single game at one location anyway.

I did see an interesting thing today that must be new. When I did my game trades there was a new employee that she was showing the transaction to. Everything was pretty much as expected but then she told him that they were shown a number which says how many more copies they are allowed to take of that title. That must be a new thing. If not, it is nothing I've ever heard mentioned before. Maybe they are finally limiting the number of copies (total) of any given title so a store doesn't get swamped with something. If true, that is certainly overdue ;).

[quote name='io']

I did see an interesting thing today that must be new. When I did my game trades there was a new employee that she was showing the transaction to. Everything was pretty much as expected but then she told him that they were shown a number which says how many more copies they are allowed to take of that title. That must be a new thing. If not, it is nothing I've ever heard mentioned before. Maybe they are finally limiting the number of copies (total) of any given title so a store doesn't get swamped with something. If true, that is certainly overdue ;).[/quote]

This is indeed disturbing news.

Went back today and took Rainbow Six Vegas and Motorstorm (version that comes with the 80 gig ps3 this time). They wouldnt take Motorstorm because it has NOT FOR RESALE plastered all over the damn cover (going to print a custom cover and take it back to a different store), but they gave me 33 for Rainbow Six Vegas, and i got Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VII for 10.05 after credit. Very satisfied! All i need left is God of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Disney Golf and ill own every single PS2 game i want in existance!

[quote name='io']I did see an interesting thing today that must be new. When I did my game trades there was a new employee that she was showing the transaction to. Everything was pretty much as expected but then she told him that they were shown a number which says how many more copies they are allowed to take of that title. That must be a new thing. If not, it is nothing I've ever heard mentioned before. Maybe they are finally limiting the number of copies (total) of any given title so a store doesn't get swamped with something. If true, that is certainly overdue ;).[/quote]

Been working at BBV for about 7 months. If a title is able to be traded in, the limit is 999. If its not able to be traded in, its listed as ---. Rarely do I ever see anything other than that, except when I traded in 3 copies of Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer for Wii (30 each) did it go down to 996.

[quote name='cribbs542']Been working at BBV for about 7 months. If a title is able to be traded in, the limit is 999. If its not able to be traded in, its listed as ---. Rarely do I ever see anything other than that, except when I traded in 3 copies of Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer for Wii (30 each) did it go down to 996.[/QUOTE]

Interesting - but the mechanics are there for them to limit the number much more severely. She was showing the other guy and didn't tell me what the number was for Gun or Bionicle Heroes. I would have liked to know ;).

In other news, any idea what the 360 version of Silver Surfer trades for?

[quote name='io']
In other news, any idea what the 360 version of Silver Surfer trades for?[/QUOTE]

I believe $15 was mentioned in this thread recently. If that still holds, I'll probably trade my $9 Target copy in, depending on whether I can be bothered to get those last few achievements...

[quote name='dinovelvet']I believe $15 was mentioned in this thread recently. If that still holds, I'll probably trade my $9 Target copy in, depending on whether I can be bothered to get those last few achievements...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought I remembered that but wasn't sure if I mixed that up with Call of Juarez, which I also ordered around the same time as I picked up Silver Surfer. I'll probably just return my Silver Surfer though since it's less than a double.

Anyone trade in WARHAWK? I know it has Not For Resale on the case, but I hav ethe big box also (just not the headset). Curious what it gets.

Beowolf seems like a nice opportunity :)

[quote name='blitz6speed']Went back today and took Rainbow Six Vegas and Motorstorm (version that comes with the 80 gig ps3 this time). They wouldnt take Motorstorm because it has NOT FOR RESALE plastered all over the damn cover (going to print a custom cover and take it back to a different store), but they gave me 33 for Rainbow Six Vegas, and i got Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VII for 10.05 after credit. Very satisfied! All i need left is God of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 1 and Disney Golf and ill own every single PS2 game i want in existance![/QUOTE]

Which Rainbow Six Vegas? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Also my GR will not answer this over teh phone, but what is the trade in value or an Xbox 360 and PSP Fat?

[quote name='io']An individual store is certainly able to make up their own restrictions and 2 of a title, ever, is reasonable. There are always other Blockbusters if you need to spread more around. I kind of make it a personal rule not to do more than 1 or 2 copies of any single game at one location anyway.

I did see an interesting thing today that must be new. When I did my game trades there was a new employee that she was showing the transaction to. Everything was pretty much as expected but then she told him that they were shown a number which says how many more copies they are allowed to take of that title. That must be a new thing. If not, it is nothing I've ever heard mentioned before. Maybe they are finally limiting the number of copies (total) of any given title so a store doesn't get swamped with something. If true, that is certainly overdue ;).[/quote]

That number has been there for as long as BB/GR has accepted trades. It's a useless number to have though, because it is set to 999 for all titles that we accept trades on. The only titles we don't accept for trade (besides shit like the $1 movies they sell at Walgreens) are movies that we just transferred from rental to used movies and have like 100 copies. So yeah, unless a game has been traded into that store over 900 times, you don't have anything to worry about.

Hit a few places right near my house started with just my disc only Halo 3 and when I came home I have $14.40 GS credit and 4 Beowulf PS3 or $152 credit which can be flipped back to GS credit using Halo 3 and 40% coupon. Gonna go back out in a bit and dump those Beowolfs at the GR/BB stores in the other direction of my house. I

[quote name='io']In other news, any idea what the 360 version of Silver Surfer trades for?[/QUOTE]
Got $15 for it Nov. 21. Gosh, io, if you don't read my posts detailing the credit I received, I don't think anybody does. ;)

[quote name='TMNT770']i just got beowulf for 35 at gamerush[/quote]

No, no, you should be trading it in at GameRush. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']No, no, you should be trading it in at GameRush. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant to say he traded it in.

I don't think GR will give you $35 credit and sell it for $35 credit.

;)

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']No, no, you should be trading it in at GameRush. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.[/quote]LOL someone needs to make a picture of a guy buying a game at BB with the tet "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" on it.

i meant i just traded it there and got 35 dollars in credit for it. im going to buy some more so i can get rockband bundle

Damn you guys. I got sucked into the darkside. I picked up two copies of Beowolf from walmart for 19.82, took them to BB, along with several other games I don't play, managed enough credit for 3 copies of Halo3 with $10 credit left over.

Took them to GS, with the wife's help, after picking up an Edge card, I ended up with $120. Picked up another copy of Beowolf from GS, back to BB for another $35, to take me up to $45 for another copy of Halo3. Back to GS to take me up to $145 in credit, with an initial $40 and some crappy games invested.

I'm gonna Kunai this until they change the trade value at BB or I get banned. :D I never go to that store anymore since I got rid of BB Online.

[quote name='sp00ge']Damn you guys. I got sucked into the darkside. I picked up two copies of Beowolf from walmart for 19.82, took them to BB, along with several other games I don't play, managed enough credit for 3 copies of Halo3 with $10 credit left over.

Took them to GS, with the wife's help, after picking up an Edge card, I ended up with $120. Picked up another copy of Beowolf from GS, back to BB for another $35, to take me up to $45 for another copy of Halo3. Back to GS to take me up to $145 in credit, with an initial $40 and some crappy games invested.

I'm gonna Kunai this until they change the trade value at BB or I get banned. :D I never go to that store anymore since I got rid of BB Online.[/quote]Kunai just became a verb for the wiki! I've felt this to be the right thing to do for a while now, but I haven't had a chance to do ay Kunaiing yet. :D

[quote name='ViolentLee']Got $15 for it Nov. 21. Gosh, io, if you don't read my posts detailing the credit I received, I don't think anybody does. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry about that. I should have looked back but I thought it was Call of Juarez that someone posted. In any case, I verified that it is indeed still $15 as of today. Forza 2 is still $32.

I guess djkunai is probably too busy Kunaiing to keep the Wiki updated ;). I had kind of been leaving that to him.

I looked through the Halo 3 copies they had and only one was in decent condition (and it looked unused - I'm assuming this was all rental stock and for whatever reason this one didn't get put out and they just decided to dump it as a used title - the girl their said they got 30 originally and they didn't sell any new copies there).

So I guess I'll head to GS this evening and flip my one copy. I can't see getting Beowulf and doing the ping-pong flip though.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm gonna Kunai this until they change the trade value at BB or I get banned. :D[/quote]
If you get banned you're not Kunaiing properly.

[quote name='io']I guess DJKunai is probably too busy Kunaiing to keep the Wiki updated ;). I had kind of been leaving that to him.[/quote]

I've been posting a lot from my phone recently- wiki is a pain to update that way.

[quote name='djkunai']

I've been posting a lot from my phone recently- wiki is a pain to update that way.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - out kunaiing I presume!

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Is the term kunaiing in the wiki? ;)[/quote]

It will be, I'm sure. As long as I get credit for being the first to use it as a verb. :D And having only one BB in the region bit me in the ass. No more Beowulf trade-ins for me. :(

Time to recruit the wife. :D

[quote name='sp00ge']It will be, I'm sure. As long as I get credit for being the first to use it as a verb. :D [/quote]
kunai
v. kunaied, kunaiing, kunais
1. To purchase several copies of the same video game for the sole purpose of trading them into another establishment for an impressive profit

"I kunaiied 20 copies of Beowulf and got $800 in credit at GameRush."

[quote name='djkunai']kunai
v. kunaied, kunaiing, kunais
1. To purchase several copies of the same video game for the sole purpose of trading them into another establishment for an impressive profit

"I kunaiied 20 copies of Beowulf and got $800 in credit at GameRush."[/QUOTE]

But we were flipping years before you came up with this concept so I guess someone finally actually laid claim to a term to use for flipping.

Well, I guess it will take some time for kunai to get use to reffering to himself as a verb because he misspelled his own word in the example.

Well nothing will ever match Drake and the 99 Dragons...less than $5 at most stores and I think it got $28 in credit. There were some others that were just as good. Its been so long since those amazing trade values. Io I think you need to put in the old classics in the 1st post

[quote name='cdeener']But we were flipping years before you came up with this concept so I guess someone finally actually laid claim to a term to use for flipping.

Well, I guess it will take some time for kunai to get use to reffering to himself as a verb because he misspelled his own word in the example.[/quote]He gets credit for doing it to an extreme level with an unabashed dedication above and beyond the call of duty. And I always find a little irony when somebody makes a misspelling when referring to a misspelling ;)

Also, for those that have a Target clearancing 360 Blitz, it's at $10 (50% off) now and if it hits 75% off at 5 bucks then it will make a great trade if the wiki value of 22 still holds. Personally, I'm looking to kunai four copies and keep one for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back