The OTT Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya one of folks involved with the Hurt Locker was email people to vote for his movie, and he's been banned from the Academy Awards because of it.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't know what channel I had on last night, but they had some dude from the E! network and some woman on, and both of them agreed that Avatar was going to win Best Picture, because apparently some shit went down with producers of The Hurt Locker emailing the Academy for votes or something.

Either way, the thought of Avatar winning Best Picture makes my brain hurt.[/QUOTE]

It'll win, and it'll be further proof the Academy awards are absolutely bullshit. Having 10 nominees is ridiculous in the first place, but of the list for best picture, An Education, The Hurt Locker, and Inglorious Basterds are the only ones that merit serious consideration, though I haven't seen A Serious Man yet.

Also: Am I the only one who thinks Precious looks absolutely torturous to watch?

What? District 9 and Up in the Air both deserve their nominations. An Education had a pretty bad ending, but the rest of the film was good. If there were only five nominees, I wouldn't say it deserves a nomination. With the ten, it's fine, but otherwise, it's not really up there.

Yes, Precious looks awful.

Also, I love 3D, and I am fully embracing it.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't know what channel I had on last night, but they had some dude from the E! network and some woman on, and both of them agreed that Avatar was going to win Best Picture, because apparently some shit went down with producers of The Hurt Locker emailing the Academy for votes or something.

Either way, the thought of Avatar winning Best Picture makes my brain hurt.[/QUOTE]
Someone is also suing the producers of the hurt locker because he says they basically stole his story.

[quote name='prmononoke']What? District 9 and Up in the Air both deserve their nominations. An Education had a pretty bad ending, but the rest of the film was good. If there were only five nominees, I wouldn't say it deserves a nomination. With the ten, it's fine, but otherwise, it's not really up there.

Yes, Precious looks awful.

Also, I love 3D, and I am fully embracing it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see Up in the Air, so I can't say anything about it. I honestly don't see how District 9 gets all the love it does. It's a decent movie, sure, but I didn't think it was particularly impressive in any way.

I think the biggest problem this year is that there is no clearly great movie. I saw a lot of movies that I liked a lot that were really good, but I don't think anything really blew me away.

[quote name='Brak']Agreed.[/QUOTE]

You don't watch movies until they are decades old anyways. Have you seen There Will Be Blood yet or is it still sitting on your shelf?

Basically the summation of my point was that this movie wasn't Jaws 3D. The 3D animation was leaps and bounds better than anything before it. To dismiss the 3D aspect as a gimmick is short sighted and to not say it is a pioneer in the aspect of cinematography is wrong. Just look at the equipment he used to make this picture. I am not saying that Avatar is a great movie or even a good movie. It is an average action movie that people have latched onto because it appeals to all subjects of the population and it offers new impressive technology.

Also you have to care about ticket sales because it drives business and allows for independent pictures to be made. Just look at Miramax, MGM, and the Weinstein company.

ott,

So I've been doing some CL buying lately (got a gold DS for $80) and hold and be hold there is this casual encounters section under personals. Something told me to check this out (procrastination from 15pg paper) I replied to a few of these things through the bcc email thing and I got a response.

So is this thing legit?

[quote name='Ugamer_X']
Also, why is budge standing next to a 40 year old migrant worker in that picture?[/QUOTE]

Because he was second place.

[quote name='D_Icon']ott,

So I've been doing some CL buying lately (got a gold DS for $80) and hold and be hold there is this casual encounters section under personals. Something told me to check this out (procrastination from 15pg paper) I replied to a few of these things through the bcc email thing and I got a response.

So is this thing legit?[/QUOTE]
Uh, why wouldn't it be legit? You think people just post there to waste their time?

[quote name='darthbudge']Because he was second place.[/QUOTE]
Best answer ever.

Seriously though, that dude looks like he just got finished picking the fields, I can see why you won.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Uh, why wouldn't it be legit? You think people just post there to waste their time?[/QUOTE]

Don't they, ugamer? Don't they?

[quote name='lordwow']Does anyone have a recommendation of which of the 5 versions of Blade Runner I should watch first?[/QUOTE]

I would start with the original theatrical cut to use as a reference point. The others are variations for better or worse. The issue of the voice-over will play itself out as you watch them and you can decide which way you like it better.

[quote name='lordwow']Does anyone have a recommendation of which of the 5 versions of Blade Runner I should watch first?[/QUOTE]

I got the 5 Disc :hd: set a few months back and haven't watched any of it yet, simply because I can't decide where to start: the workprint or the Final Cut.

I've already seen the theatrical and director's cut.

Sounds good. We read about it my media class back in undergrad about how drastically different one of the cuts was, but I barely remember what it was now.

Oh sweet .. Tairy Greene is gonna be on SNL tonight. I can't wait to see him crow barred in to a "game show with stupid contestants" skit.

I just gold starred Green Grass and High Tides after not playing it for at least a year or two- whenever it was that I finally passed it on the original Rock Band.

fuck yeah.

snugglercr2.jpg

I just found The Heartbreak Kid and The Reaping on :hd: in a jewel case I'd forgotten about. Thanks a lot, CAG free stuff thread. :(

Puma would be the type that dies from marijuana and thus ruining it for the rest of mankind. Selfish bastard.

~~~

The old alma mater Murray State is playing for the OVC Championship on ESPN. The game has been terrible though.

[quote name='flowery']Puma would be the type that dies from marijuana and thus ruining it for the rest of mankind. Selfish bastard.
[/QUOTE]

Puma dying would be a boon for mankind and a blow against white trash reproducing.

Win win.

[quote name='manthing']Puma dying would be a boon for mankind and a blow against white trash reproducing.

Win win.[/QUOTE]

Haha true. I guess it would be worth it.

~~~

Murray State going to the big dance. Put your money on them as a first round upset bid.

[quote name='flowery']Murray State going to the big dance. Put your money on them as a first round upset bid.[/QUOTE]

As long as they knock out Duke, it's all good. Well, anyone except UK for that matter.

[quote name='craven_fiend']As long as they knock out Duke, it's all good. Well, anyone except UK for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I just hope they don't fuck them in the bracket. They should get a decent seed even though they don't have a good RPI.

I would like to see them on the other end of Kentucky.

[quote name='flowery']I just hope they don't fuck them in the bracket. They should get a decent seed even though they don't have a good RPI.

I would like to see them on the other end of Kentucky.[/QUOTE]

Lets put them against Tennessee

[quote name='flowery']I just hope they don't fuck them in the bracket. They should get a decent seed even though they don't have a good RPI.

I would like to see them on the other end of Kentucky.[/QUOTE]

I'm always amazed how long the Laettner-inspired hatred of Duke UK UK fans have burns so bright nearly two decades later.

But, hey, I always figured Laettner's NBA career put all that stuff to rest, since he was such an embarrassment.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm always amazed how long the Laettner-inspired hatred of Duke UK UK fans have burns so bright nearly two decades later.

But, hey, I always figured Laettner's NBA career put all that stuff to rest, since he was such an embarrassment.[/QUOTE]

But he was on the Dream Team!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back