The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunasun']anyone else have this in their inventory?
t3TjY.png
[/QUOTE]

Looks like the gift they give people when they're hired by Valve. Maybe they've hired you and you just don't know it yet.

If you want I have a list of all of Valve's IP addresses. :D

t3TjY.png
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'm gonna need you to send that to me to make sure it works properly. Can never have enough troubleshooting experience, after all! ;)

But with everything in the Steam library... I wouldn't be able to play the meta game anymore! Plus, I could never enter a Steamgifts drawing again. I'd have to start my (Pokemon) journey over again on a new account.

[quote name='asheskitty']
Well over a year ago, and like $0.30 more now. It's a great racer, I wouldn't let that stop you. It doesn't go on sale enough to confidently say, "grab it @ 75% off on the next steam sale." My post is aimed at games I think CAGs will really like.

FYI, Dirt 1 was pulled from Steam in Fall. Dirt 1 has more rally races, which I personally enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I was just mentioning the last Grid's 75% sale. That was the LAST time it had a good sale... until now. There's no reason to wait for $0.30, is an AWESOME racer... even crashing your car is fun!!

I liked Dirt 1, The rally maps were great, much better than Dirt 2... but I found Dirt 2's gameplay and handling better. I don't know if it's more arcade or realistic than the first one, but I like it :)

t3TjY.png
[/QUOTE]

Actually I do. Unfortunately cracking the Valve wifi to get on the network has been a huge hassle and I've been camped outside for days. Does anyone know Gabe's dog's birthday?

[quote name='Blade']Hmm, I'm gonna need you to send that to me to make sure it works properly. Can never have enough troubleshooting experience, after all! ;)[/QUOTE]
give me a copy of bad rats and its yours
;)

April Fool's
in 4 days

Picked up Titan Quest and the GTA4/Episodes deal. :applause:

Titan Quest is a must own for any ARPG fans, it still holds up incredibly well visually and gameplay wise. GTA 4 i didn't much care for when i played on 360 when it came out but now that i have a beast of a rig i am interested in the whole mod scene with the ice enhancer etc.

My complaints about Rise of the Argonauts far outweighed my likes.

The story is what shines. It doesn't matter how good gameplay is in an RPG if the story is a boring, cliche snorefest. RotA took the classic story, tweaked it, and came up with something very good. Not all of the dialogue is great, but in general the dialogue and voice overs are very well done.

The combat is probably more action than it is RPG, but it works, it's fun, and it doesn't make you think "I like the story of this game, but I wish the gameplay was better", which I feel happens all too often. The skill trees are simple, but they're fine. I didn't find any of the skills that I unlocked to be useless, overpowered, etc. Like I said, the game is more action than RPG, so the skill trees reflect that.

The dialogue choices aren't game changing, but they do help you build your skills, which is an interesting, if not perfectly executed idea.

If you're a fan of ARPGs, you'll probably like it. If you're a fan of the Greek/Roman mythology thing, you'll like it. If you're a fan of neither of those things, it's still a solid game, but it'll probably rightfully sit in your backlog.

I'd probably give it a 7.5/10, but that's not taking into account the fact that I'm into mythology. I love Titan Quest to death for the same reason.

well, I did a stupid thing. I figured for $3 Dirt 2 was worth it. Problem was I forgot I was in the (installed games) view when i checked to see if i owned it, and i already do.

MENH7-QLQG7-KNIA6 for Dirt 2 Steam.

Have at it!

[quote name='jer7583']well, I did a stupid thing. I figured for $3 Dirt 2 was worth it. Problem was I forgot I was in the (installed games) view when i checked to see if i owned it, and i already do.

MENH7-QLQG7-KNIA6 for Dirt 2 Steam.

Have at it![/QUOTE]
Wow, a whole minute later it was still unredeemed.

Thanks! I will definitely play it. :)

random interjection.
I enjoy Eurogamer's head to heads when they use an "average" pc gaming rig to test their games. I think its really lopsided to play new games with Quad SLI NVIDIA Titans......LOLZ....and say yeah, the game looks really good and is great to play.

Thats not realistic. Such as when I'm on the road and I need to play games on my laptop. I've recently discovered that Mass Effect 2 actually runs quite well maxed out on a 6750m. Still have a bit of troubles with Skryim, but I'm gonna try a little more with that this weekend. Always on the lookout for great laptop friendly games and not just for my laptop! Graphics SO != enjoyment. I actually kinda stay away from AAA games that laud their graphics really at all. I talk about all this as Eurogamer just put up their head to head on Infinite which I'm eager to read.

DOODZ i can play game X on my Quad Titan setup. ePeen! dood.

i really hope that the new consoles don't destroy this nice semi lull we've had in pc gaming requirements. games are much more forgiving on average and its nice. Maybe it will actually buy us some time as more games use more threads. I don't know whats going to happen. I just know I'm not buying the new consoles anytime soon. I'll give it 2-3 years. Consoles seriously need time to come into stride. I'd argue that even the 3DS is *still* not ready. The WiiU imoho is a total clusterf in terms of launch. The best time to own any system is in its last year....or right now.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']
i really hope that the new consoles don't destroy this nice semi lull we've had in pc gaming requirements. games are much more forgiving on average and its nice. Maybe it will actually buy us some time as more games use more threads. I don't know whats going to happen. I just know I'm not buying the new consoles anytime soon. I'll give it 2-3 years. Consoles seriously need time to come into stride. I'd argue that even the 3DS is *still* not ready. The WiiU was a total botch. The best time to own any system is in its last year....or right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there will be a "huge leap" forward in PC gaming requirements overnight like there was when the latest generation of consoles was released about 5 years ago. Mostly because the PS4 is really just a watered down PC, as is the eventual Valve-released-Steam-box.

When Sony had their "big reveal" that the Playstation 4 was getting
wait for it...........
Diablo 3
I was like "are you seriously kidding me right now?!?!??!?!" :roll:

Gaming has almost always been driven by the average hardware that can run it. I don't see that changing any time soon.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']i really hope that the new consoles don't destroy this nice semi lull we've had in pc gaming requirements.[/QUOTE]
No worries there...

[quote name='Idiotekque']No worries there...[/QUOTE]

The thing that scares me about the PS4 is the DDR5. The GPU and CPU....not so scary. When the 360 came out I remember being quite in awe of the tri-core.
Its happened before. New consoles come out and my system is no longer relevant. I'm pretty sure that happened to me.
I played Morrowind on my Xbox. This is why I have this fear/complex people. MY XBOX.

Expectations had/have been low for the next Playstation and Xbox, due the the changes in the market. The PS4 announcement seemed spot on (and sensible). Remember, the PS3 & 360 drove HDTV adoption. Right now there aren't really any games I can run a good looking settings at 30 FPS at slightly higher than HDTV resolution, on my 4 year old Phenom II X3 720BE & GTX 260. With consoles driving HDTVs there is no need to exceed 30 FPS.

The next generation of consoles isn't going to push graphics forward. This is certainly true of the PS4. The next Xbox is still wait and see, but expectations are low.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']The thing that scares me about the PS4 is the DDR5. The GPU and CPU....not so scary. When the 360 came out I remember being quite in awe of the tri-core.
Its happened before. New consoles come out and my system is no longer relevant. I'm pretty sure that happened to me.
I played Morrowind on my Xbox. This is why I have this fear/complex people. MY XBOX.[/QUOTE]
I don't really think the DDR5 is going to make a major difference. I'm not an expert, but even someone commented on that.

"DDR5 does not equate to faster than DDR3. It's not the GHz or MHz. It's the timing and GDDR5 clocks of 1000 > 1600 MHz and DDR 3 clocks of 1600 > 2400 MHz means absolutely nothing when compared to each other."

I do think we'll see more 60 FPS console games though. Even on the PS3 and Xbox 360, there is a fair handful of games that run at 60 FPS. With the relatively minor performance difference with the APU and whatnot, I could see the FPS jumping up before the graphics jumping up on consoles.

Regarding GDDR5....

GDDR5 is a tweaked version of DDR3. It was tweaked for graphics cards to squeeze out more bandwidth at the cost of higher latency. For GPU pipelines this is a good trade, due to their structured processing, pipelines, and predictable access patterns. For CPUs this isn't a good trade since when the data CPU needs isn't in the L1/L2/L3 cache, that thread stalls for longer -- these stalls really hurt performance.

GDDR5 has been around for years in graphics cards, it's nothing to worry about.

The reason Sony went with GDDR5 is that it is important to GPU performance, and the software folks really wanted a unified memory so they wouldn't have to shoehorn their games into smaller split CPU/GPU RAM.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Weekend Deal

Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack $12.49 75% off includes below
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2
Grand Theft Auto 3 $2.49 75% off
Grand Theft Auto 4 $4.99 75% off
Grand Theft Auto 4 Episodes from Liberty City $4.99 75% off
Grand Theft Auto Vice City $2.49 75% off
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas $3.74 75% off

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I believe we were just discussing GTA games on Wednesday :lol:

Alright who is the Valve spy?

Quick question on Sleeping Dogs. Is the Apartment that you get at the beginning of the game the only one you get?

I'm still fairly early in the game, but I've got over 200K in cash. I wanna know if I should bother upgrading stuff in my apartment. It's obvious that cash is pretty easy to come by in this game. So I could probably afford to spend anything that I want. But if I'm likely to get a new apartment soon, what's the point?

[quote name='The End']Quick question on Sleeping Dogs. Is the Apartment that you get at the beginning of the game the only one you get?

I'm still fairly early in the game, but I've got over 200K in cash. I wanna know if I should bother upgrading stuff in my apartment. It's obvious that cash is pretty easy to come by in this game. So I could probably afford to spend anything that I want. But if I'm likely to get a new apartment soon, what's the point?[/QUOTE]

You get several other apartments, each at different areas of the city. There are seperate item upgrades for each one, you might as well just buy them all because like you said, money is easy to get in the game and of limited use once you buy whatever vehicles/clothes you want.

Oh OK. There are people selling air conditioners & new beds in the market area. My face is too low to buy a decent car, so I don't have much else to spend it on. So I guess I'll buy that stuff.

[quote name='The End']Oh OK. There are people selling air conditioners & new beds in the market area. My face is too low to buy a decent car, so I don't have much else to spend it on. So I guess I'll buy that stuff.[/QUOTE]

lol. I never spent anything on my first couple of apartments, but they get real swanky towards the end. I bought some art and overpriced electronics for those.

I spent my first 200,000 gambling and flipping it until I could afford a sweet ride. I lucked out though, I assume not everyone has the same luck with the cock fights.

[quote name='jshackles']I don't think there will be a "huge leap" forward in PC gaming requirements overnight like there was when the latest generation of consoles was released about 5 years ago. Mostly because the PS4 is really just a watered down PC, as is the eventual Valve-released-Steam-box.

When Sony had their "big reveal" that the Playstation 4 was getting
wait for it...........
Diablo 3
I was like "are you seriously kidding me right now?!?!??!?!" :roll:

Gaming has almost always been driven by the average hardware that can run it. I don't see that changing any time soon.[/QUOTE]

I was expecting Starcraft Ghost for the PS4. That should've been the big reveal.

[quote name='Blade']I don't even know what Valve is.

Gabe-Newell-Valve.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What's Valve? Is that Michael Moore?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I spent my first 200,000 gambling and flipping it until I could afford a sweet ride. I lucked out though, I assume not everyone has the same luck with the cock fights.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what you have to do if you want the achievement for all cars. At the high end cock-fight, you just save before max bid. Reload if you lose.

I was actually waiting for a discount on Immortal Throne after buying the THQ bundle and Titan Quest Gold from GamersGate, certain that their copy was Steam-enabled... of course, it was not. Even though I completed the game a long time ago, I'm still convinced that it is one of the best ARPGs around, so I'll give it a spin again sooner or later :)

And of course I bite onto Hitman: Absolution. Granted, I've just started it, but even from this much I can already said that the atmosphere of its predecessors was nailed perfectly. Maybe it will all go downhill from a pretty solid start, but I've played the prologue with all difficulty levels and, while the easier ones give newbies all the hand-holding that was never available in past titles, beginning from Hard it sure feels like it should for an Hitman veteran. Plus, I really don't understand all that criticism regarding the Instinct mechanic (basically, a more useful, time constrained Batman's Detective Mode) when you can increase the difficulty and scale down all in-game helps accordingly.

Furthermore, Contracts mode is an amazing take on multiplayer, whereas most were worried developers would end up adding a fast paced, gun blazing, generic third person shooter: instead, they opted to build an asynchronous and much more lethal version of Simon, in which a player creates a challenge by executing up to 3 NPCs with various contidions on a large map, and other players must retrace his steps trying to do even better. They poured quite a lot of thinking into this, and it truly shows off.

In the end, I'm satisfied that all these remake/sequel of beloved titles (Hitman, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Deus Ex, etc.) ended up being worthy of their forefathers, proving that even high budget titles can be something more than disappointing cash-ins based on their big names alone :)

[quote name='stupidproz1']Anyone have any last minute recommendations before the Indie Games Sale ends in a few hours?[/QUOTE]

Choosing just from the ones which are 75% off...

Puzzle: Droplitz, AVSEQ, Magical Drop V, Shatter, Toki Tori
Tower defense: Shad'O
RPG: Precipice of Darkness combo
Adventure: The Blackwell saga, The Journey Down
Rhythm game (sorta): BIT.TRIP collection (games only, you may want to drop extra cash for their awesome chiptune soundtracks too)
Dual stick shooter: Space Pirates and Zombies, Beat Hazard, The Binding of Isaac (+DLC)
Strategy (multiplayer): Frozen Synapse

At their respective prices, they're definitely a steal! :)

EDIT: I shamefully neglected to include masterpieces like NightSky (puzzle/platformer), Amnesia (first person survival horror) and Terraria (platformer/RPG) from the list, but there's literally too much to choose... you really can't go wrong with any of these (except if you hate the genre, obviously)! :D

[quote name='Junpei']Choosing just from the ones which are 75% off...

Puzzle: Droplitz, AVSEQ, Magical Drop V, Shatter, Toki Tori
Tower defense: Shad'O
RPG: Precipice of Darkness combo
Adventure: The Blackwell saga, The Journey Down
Rhythm game (sorta): BIT.TRIP collection (games only, you may want to drop extra cash for their awesome chiptune soundtracks too)
Dual stick shooter: Space Pirates and Zombies, Beat Hazard, The Binding of Isaac (+DLC)
Strategy (multiplayer): Frozen Synapse

At their respective prices, they're definitely a steal! :)

EDIT: I shamefully neglected to include masterpieces like NightSky (puzzle/platformer), Amnesia (first person survival horror) and Terraria (platformer/RPG) from the list, but there's literally too much to choose... you really can't go wrong with any of these (except if you hate the genre, obviously)! :D[/QUOTE]

I didn't knew the Penny Arcade combo were on sale too! Thanks

I think the "must have" (also based on discount) from the indie sale are: Terraria, Amnesia, The Binding of Isaac, Trine collection, Beat Hazard complete.

[quote name='asheskitty']Cross posting from my GMG thread post...
GMG is having a good sale on some Codemasters games, from the few I tried, GMG25-S0FSG-R7Z9B doesn't seem to apply an extra 20% though. Edit: GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD seems to work for an extra 20% off. Thanks Fox. I was using the wrong code. Remember, the code only applies to one item per checkout, so do multiple transactions if you're buying multiple things. (And hope your bank doesn't fraud-flag you after a few transactions.) Full list of Codemasters sale. Dirt 2 @ $3.74 (75% off, Steam) If you have any interest in racers (arcade or sim) you'll likely love this. This the lowest it's been. GRID @ $5.09 (66% off, Steam) I also highly recommend this title as well. Both Dirt 2 and GRID have wonderful physics and a 7 (or 9) difficulty levels making it easy to find the right amount of challenge for you. This is the cheapest price ever, though since GRID 2 is coming out in a few months, we might see a 75% off this year. I highly recommend it, even at a whole $5.09. ^_~ Dirt 3 @ $8.49 (66% off, steam) is another good racer. It was recently this price on GG. Dirt: Showdown @ $10.19 (66% off, steam) is the lowest price yet on Showdown. They veered away from the deeper racing roots with this one and enraged fans of the Dirt series. I don't own it yet, so I can't comment further. Edit: Rechecking reviews, wow. I'm actually passing on this at $8. Reviews paint it as a bad knockoff of Flatout, with stupidly simple physics. It shouldn't have carried the "Dirt" name. The F1 series is sim racing, try the F1 2012 demo on steam to see if you have any interest. They were recently on sale at these prices or better on GG. In short, F1 2011 is refinement on F1 2010, and F1 2012 is more an an annual sports franchise update. I only own F1 2012. F1 Race Stars is a cart racer that reportedly lacks the certain magic needed for cart racers. Imo, so reason to consider this since Sonic All-Stars Transformed is a much better title and has been availble for about this price. I also love Overlord/Raising Hell (and Overlord II seems to be more of the same), but the complete pack was $5 on the Steam Winter Sale
[/QUOTE]

Do you have/use a Microsoft Wireless Speedwheel? Curious which of these racers you'd recommend that supports it.

[quote name='Junpei']I was actually waiting for a discount on Immortal Throne after buying the THQ bundle and Titan Quest Gold from GamersGate, certain that their copy was Steam-enabled... of course, it was not. Even though I completed the game a long time ago, I'm still convinced that it is one of the best ARPGs around, so I'll give it a spin again sooner or later :)

And of course I bite onto Hitman: Absolution. Granted, I've just started it, but even from this much I can already said that the atmosphere of its predecessors was nailed perfectly. Maybe it will all go downhill from a pretty solid start, but I've played the prologue with all difficulty levels and, while the easier ones give newbies all the hand-holding that was never available in past titles, beginning from Hard it sure feels like it should for an Hitman veteran. Plus, I really don't understand all that criticism regarding the Instinct mechanic (basically, a more useful, time constrained Batman's Detective Mode) when you can increase the difficulty and scale down all in-game helps accordingly.

Furthermore, Contracts mode is an amazing take on multiplayer, whereas most were worried developers would end up adding a fast paced, gun blazing, generic third person shooter: instead, they opted to build an asynchronous and much more lethal version of Simon, in which a player creates a challenge by executing up to 3 NPCs with various contidions on a large map, and other players must retrace his steps trying to do even better. They poured quite a lot of thinking into this, and it truly shows off.

In the end, I'm satisfied that all these remake/sequel of beloved titles (Hitman, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Deus Ex, etc.) ended up being worthy of their forefathers, proving that even high budget titles can be something more than disappointing cash-ins based on their big names alone :)[/QUOTE]
Personally i think it is the best.

Also, it has a great modding community that offers fantastic community patches and mods that add literally hundreds of hours of new content like the Diablo mod, Underlord mod etc. Along with other mods that add hundreds of new items, monsters etc.

[quote name='styl3s']Personally i think it is the best.

Also, it has a great modding community that offers fantastic community patches and mods that add literally hundreds of hours of new content like the Diablo mod, Underlord mod etc. Along with other mods that add hundreds of new items, monsters etc.[/QUOTE]

Since you quoted my entire post, I thought for a moment that you were addressing Hitman: Absolution instead of Titan Quest, so I unleashed immediately my Google Fu skills searching for a mod that could allow me to sneak up and garrote a balrog to death... :lol:

[quote name='Junpei']Dual stick shooter: Space Pirates and Zombies, Beat Hazard, The Binding of Isaac (+DLC)
[/QUOTE]

SPAZ was on IndieGameStand a few days ago for $1, so you should be able to find trade keys cheap. Not to mention the multiple (?) bundles it's been in.

Speaking of IndieGameStand, today's deal is Walking Mars (Steam/Desura/DRM-free/GoG.com). For $1 why not.

[quote name='Izod517']SPAZ was on IndieGameStand a few days ago for $1, so you should be able to find trade keys cheap. Not to mention the multiple (?) bundles it's been in.

Speaking of IndieGameStand, today's deal is Walking Mars (Steam/Desura/DRM-free/GoG.com). For $1 why not.[/QUOTE]

It was in a Humble Bundle for Android. If anyone wants the mobile version as well they may want to wait and see if it shows up as a weekly sale. It could be a bonus in the current mobile bundle, but there's no telling if it would also come with the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back