CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent game aside from a stupid story and mostly dumb characters. There was a severe camera stutter issue but they finally fixed it after a few months. Performance is good in DX9. Don't let this game inspire you to play the old ones, I tried 2 and it was garbage. And I don't think I need to say it, but...
E7DvYmB.jpg
Yeah... Dat Foliage!. I'm playing in DX11 and haven't seen any stutter. I guess I'm glad that's fixed.

I wouldn't let FC2 put you off FC1... probably the main criticism one could level at FC1 is that it'll be 10 years old in two months.

Story Criticism often amused me... maybe I'm just different... I don't need a whole lot of motivation to stab people in the neck... repeatedly. I'd rather have a good stabby experience and a mediocre story than the reverse.

My only story criticism is that from the intro, I side more with Mr Bad Mohawk Guy than the Pretty-Boy I'm playing.

Since we're talking about FC3, Ziggy's Mod is a pretty nice addition to the game, makes a little bit harder by removing stuff like the minimap and tagging enemies through walls, as well as balancing and adding new guns and crafting recipes. There is a casual version too if you don't necessarily want to make your game harder.

I forgot what difficulty I was playing on at first but I felt like while the whole tagging system was very convenient, it felt really really cheap. Got about halfway through the story, installed this mod and started a new game, and it almost feels like a different game. If you're tired of the constant hand-holding and want a really challenging experience, I'd recommend this mod.

Yeah... Dat Foliage!. I'm playing in DX11 and haven't seen any stutter. I guess I'm glad that's fixed.

I wouldn't let FC2 put you off FC1... probably the main criticism one could level at FC1 is that it'll be 10 years old in two months.

Story Criticism often amused me... maybe I'm just different... I don't need a whole lot of motivation to stab people in the neck... repeatedly. I'd rather have a good stabby experience and a mediocre story than the reverse.

My only story criticism is that from the intro, I side more with Mr Bad Mohawk Guy than the Pretty-Boy I'm playing.
Well I didn't really have a problem with the story until I read the writer's defense of it. He's a total douchebag and was trying to excuse the shitty story as being a commentary on everything that's wrong with the video game industry, and all this other stupid shit. What a pretentious dumbass, writing a bad story to prove some kind of point? And then was criticizing everyone who didn't "get it" and insulting them as not being smart enough to see what he was doing. I think he was just trying to excuse his bad story. Apparently he also wrote Blood Dragon so I guess he's not all bad.

I was just experimenting with FC3 since getting my 770 a few months ago and found performance worse in DX11, went back to 9. Maybe I was using higher settings than you were.

I beat some of your times in that Porche Spyder, what a car. :shock:

Since we're talking about FC3, Ziggy's Mod is a pretty nice addition to the game, makes a little bit harder by removing stuff like the minimap and tagging enemies through walls, as well as balancing and adding new guns and crafting recipes. There is a casual version too if you don't necessarily want to make your game harder.
Cool. I think I'd looked at FC3 mod-packs* before, but I didn't realize there was a casual version. Most seemed to focus on making the game harder. I'm playing on Normal.

This is my first time playing FC3, so I'd rather not have anything impede me finishing. I also prefer to stay on the Vanilla Side for my first playthough.

*There can only be one! (loaded)

FTFY. Last week was pretty good. A lot of us bought Pool Nation and a smaller handful bought JASF.
Nope, I had it right. I got Pool Nation myself but that still doesn't mean that these sales aren't weak... I just don't see one good but highly niche title carrying a weeks worth of sales.

You've never heard of the Syberia games? Your (lack of) knowledge of them has nothing to do with their quality. You need to stay in more.
Oh, I've heard of them... But they've been in 2 bundles together and each has been bundled once separately so, yeah, 2.49 each makes it incredible weak.

Well I didn't really have a problem with the story until I read the writer's defense of it. He's a total douchebag and was trying to excuse the shitty story as being a commentary on everything that's wrong with the video game industry, and all this other stupid shit. What a pretentious dumbass, writing a bad story to prove some kind of point? And then was criticizing everyone who didn't "get it" and insulting them as not being smart enough to see what he was doing. I think he was just trying to excuse his bad story. Apparently he also wrote Blood Dragon so I guess he's not all bad.

I was just experimenting with FC3 since getting my 770 a few months ago and found performance worse in DX11, went back to 9. Maybe I was using higher settings than you were.

I beat some of your times in that Porche Spyder, what a car. :shock:
I really don't follow game-industry news... so I don't actually know all that other stuff or have it interfere with my enjoyment of the game. Album covers used to be awful... I tried hard to ignore then and sample the music inside. (I used to shop at 2nd-hand CD stores a lot because I could listen to stuff first... I'm not one to run out and buy whatever album is being overplayed on the radio.)

Yeah, I unlocked that Porche Spyder late, I needed it to beat a DLC boss... my Countach literally couldn't keep up. Sweet ride.

Hmm maybe I'll check out FC3 in DX9 for giggles... (I know I'm running in DX11 since MSI's Afterburner FPS-OSD reports so.) I'm running at the "GeForce Experience" Recommended settings... I didn't look too closely, most everything is high/ultra and 2x MSAA. It seems to average around 40-50 FPS and never drop below 30... I wouldn't mind more FPS but damn, I don't want to give up visuals for it.

Oh, I've heard of them... But they've been in 2 bundles together and each has been bundled once separately so, yeah, 2.49 each makes it incredible weak.
Okay. But I was specifically responding to the part where you said you hadn't heard of them, not the part where you said they were weak.

I really don't follow game-industry news... so I don't actually know all that other stuff or have it interfere with my enjoyment of the game. Album covers used to be awful... I tried hard to ignore then and sample the music inside. (I used to shop at 2nd-hand CD stores a lot because I could listen to stuff first... I'm not one to run out and buy whatever album is being overplayed on the radio.)

Yeah, I unlocked that Porche Spyder late, I needed it to beat a DLC boss... my Countach literally couldn't keep up. Sweet ride.

Hmm maybe I'll check out FC3 in DX9 for giggles... (I know I'm running in DX11 since MSI's Afterburner FPS-OSD reports so.) I'm running at the "GeForce Experience" Recommended settings... I didn't look too closely, most everything is high/ultra and 2x MSAA. It seems to average around 40-50 FPS and never drop below 30... I wouldn't mind more FPS but damn, I don't want to give up visuals for it.
Oh, I guess I was going for solid 60FPS.

I was really hoping to pick this up cheap on the Amazon EC list, but it doesn't seem like that will happen. Probably for the best.. I still haven't even started FC2.
That was my plan too. But considering how most shooters give me a headache and I think I have yet to play one through to completion on my Steam account I'm fine waiting. Ashes, no motion-sickness with FC?

I've been playing a bit of PC Blood Dragon lately after finishing it on XBLA last year. The difference is astounding with that game. It's way more than just the grass being fuller, textures being nicer, and that sort of thing. The look they aim to achieve with scan lines, laser grids, lighting, etc. was cool on my 360, but feels like it's only fully realized at higher resolution with AA and more effects. 60 fps is nice, but I feel like at least with that game, the visual quality trumps it for me. It's a difference that I don't quite feel happens the same way with other games.

My 5-year old Phenom II X3 720 BE CPU is pretty pegged while running FC3 as well... sure I'd like 60 FPS but with my current rig I sometime settle for less. In FC3 I'm mostly stealthing around slowly in the grass so FPS doesn't make that much of a difference... visuals do. I tried turning off 2x MSAA... ouch... that hurt my visuals a lot... I'm surprised how effective 2x MSAA is in FC3. I tried adding on SweetFX, but didn't do it right and just make the game crash on boot. I need to try it again, now that I know how I need to split up the SweetFX files for FC3. (It's a little weird since the .exe isn't in the game's base-folder.)

That was my plan too. But considering how most shooters give me a headache and I think I have yet to play one through to completion on my Steam account I'm fine waiting. Ashes, no motion-sickness with FC?
No. No motion sickness. I'm actually a little surprised since the default FOV on my 1920x1200 display feels kinda narrow; I suspect this is offset by mostly being in open-forest.. But the game has a FOV slider with a lot of range.

I tend to get motion sick easy.

No. No motion sickness. I'm actually a little surprised since the default FOV on my 1920x1200 display feels kinda narrow; I suspect this is offset by mostly being in open-forest.. But the game has a FOV slider with a lot of range.

I tend to get motion sick easy.
I know, that's why I asked. Thanks for the input! I guess this'll be climbing higher to the top of the backlog...whenever I purchase it, that is...

Nope, I had it right. I got Pool Nation myself but that still doesn't mean that these sales aren't weak... I just don't see one good but highly niche title carrying a weeks worth of sales.
Pool Nation made the week for me. JASF was the icing on the cake. I don't expect to find many weekly deals that appeal directly to me, so I'm pleasantly surprised when I find one or two of interest.

I like that the WD pricepoints have been fairly low recently but, unfortunately it makes them susceptible to being bundle leftovers. I think I'm going to look at them as a second-chance (or third) to pick off some stragglers from bundles I missed. Like Syder Arcade this week, for instance. I also don't think Bionic Dues has been bundled and it looks pretty interesting.

You can actually get JASF for a dollar cheaper before and after the week long deals, some people got the 90% off coupon for JASF when they crafted a set of cards.

ZggTc9h.jpg

Super Brothers : Sword and Sorcery EP for $1.59? I guess I'll have to pick that up with some Steam wallet to go along with all the other Brother related games I've picked up lately...Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, Rush Bros, Two Brothers, Stealth Bastard Brothers, Gravity Badger Brothers ...

You can actually get JASF for a dollar cheaper before and after the week long deals, some people got the 90% off coupon for JASF when they crafted a set of cards.

ZggTc9h.jpg
Meh, I'm happier paying a buck more. I don't like dealing with people... especially random people, especially random people that want something in exchange for a coupon that save me a buck. I do not like.

Actually I was eyeing this before the steam weekly.. it was $2 on Amazon, but it wan't a steam key.

My 5-year old Phenom II X3 720 BE CPU is pretty pegged while running FC3 as well... sure I'd like 60 FPS but with my current rig I sometime settle for less. In FC3 I'm mostly stealthing around slowly in the grass so FPS doesn't make that much of a difference... visuals do. I tried turning off 2x MSAA... ouch... that hurt my visuals a lot... I'm surprised how effective 2x MSAA is in FC3. I tried adding on SweetFX, but didn't do it right and just make the game crash on boot. I need to try it again, now that I know how I need to split up the SweetFX files for FC3. (It's a little weird since the .exe isn't in the game's base-folder.)
I think SweetFX only works in that game on DX9.

I think SweetFX only works in that game on DX9.
I ran across a custom build of SweetFX that claims to run on FC3 in DX11.

Also another through for me if I wanted a bit more FPS would be to change from my 24" 60Hz 1920x1200 display to my 22" 75Hz 1680x1050 display.

I'm reading through this atm. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark.html

Better: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/17/far_cry_3_video_card_performance_iq_review/7#.Ut2OhRDTk-X

I didn't want to get bogged down with tweaking before I played any (I wasn't sure I'd like it... I'm not an FPS fan.)

I should also min-rez/settings drop it to check for CPU bottlenecks.

Wow, that looks awesome. I hadn't heard of this game before, but I'll totally pick it up if it gets bundled again.
I have a key but never activated it because of the ridiculous achievements. You have to get up to the top 15% in the leaderboards and that's just plain impossible with all the cheaters out there.

I hate games that add that sort of fuck achievements. You want to reward players who have skill? Cool. But don't do it in a way that could potentially be impossible to do because of cheaters...

The dev mentioned the achievement may get tied to a weekly leaderboard... which would've been great. Except he didn't go for that. Bleh.

I have a key but never activated it because of the ridiculous achievements. You have to get up to the top 15% in the leaderboards and that's just plain impossible with all the cheaters out there.

I hate games that add that sort of fuck achievements. You want to reward players who have skill? Cool. But don't do it in a way that could potentially be impossible to do because of cheaters...

The dev mentioned the achievement may get tied to a weekly leaderboard... which would've been great. Except he didn't go for that. Bleh.
Have you considered the idea that you can play the game and not try to get that achievement?

Have you considered the idea that you can play the game and not try to get that achievement?
But what's the fun in that...? :p

I like achievements. Even some that are damn near impossible to get. But ones like that, which may not even be possible because of cheaters? No thank you.

Cheaters in a scrolling shmup? What will they think of next?

Maybe the top 15% in the leaderboards are there cos they're good at the game and have even installed it and played it a bit =P

That's weird, I've been 7zipping some game install folders for backup purposes and always get around 80% compression ratio. I just did Saboteur and got 60%. I guess that means the game itself is less compressed, that's good!

You know what grinds my gears? When the pizza place fudges up my order. I ordered spicy sausage with pepperoni. They forgot the pepperoni and put on regular sausage. How fuck 'ing hard is it to get a pizza order right?

Hmmmm, I remember having mouse discussions recently.

Logitech G600 MMO White Mouse is in-store only at Fry's $49.99 w/ a Promo Code "1167833" (for cashier to input) this week (Jan 20-26th):

http://www.frys.com/product/7804469?site=frys_promo_ecampaign&date:012014

I ain't got a local Fry's nearby - but thought I'd point this out to you all, in case you got a nearby Fry's and in case you missed the e-mail w/ their deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back