CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose I do agree but it's one of the things that turns me off the most about modern FPS games. The last one of these things I played through (Battlefield Bad Company 2), unlike most other reviewers, I thought the campaign felt like a series of set pieces strung together with bits of dialogue among characters that were neither particularly fleshed-out nor particularly likeable. My nephew loves getting online and mixing it up with a bunch of random strangers but that's not generally my idea of fun. These days when I see a dev is specifically not including multiplayer in a AAA game, I cheer a little inside.
In my opinion, it just comes down to who's making the game and what type of game it is. Infinity Ward (and by obvious connection, Respawn) isn't a company who can put together a gripping story that you'd see in a Bioshock game, Mass Effect, or even Halo. MW2 had an okay story, but it was still just a bunch of "OMG THE GOOD GUY WAS ACTUALLY BAD" moments, and the entire thing just comes down to a you vs. the world thing. It's the same thing you're getting in a Michael Bay film full of explosions and bad writing, and in the end it's kind of pointless.

I can totally see what people will feel that they're getting half a game, and won't want to spend $60 on that. Understandable feeling. I do appreciate Respawn's forward thinking on putting all their time and focus into the other side of the game, though (because that effort really does show), and as far as the "multiplayer campaign" game type goes, it sounds interesting and time will tell if it's all it's cracked up to be.

I'll say it, I don't really care for Titanfall. I tried the tutorial because FREE but after that I quit. I don't like military shooters and lack of a single player campaign pretty much kills it for me because people suck and I don't want to play with people unless it's Revelations 2012.

Or to put more clearly because Idiotekque was getting all someone is wrong on the internet on my ass in IM earlier for saying I didn't like Titanfall after playing the tutorial, if a game is just shooting combat with other people, I'm not interested.

I'm sure it will sell a gazillion copies and make EA even more Scrooge McDuck rich than they already are but I can haughtily (hipstery?) say that it's exactly the type of game that will appeal to the lowest common denominator unwashed masses who need little substance to their games and thus not for me.
Not even, haha. You just said "I played the tutorial and then quit", so I suggested you actually play the game a bit (considering you took all that time to install the thing), because it's a bit different than your average bro shooter. Your ass must be pretty big, because I didn't think I was "on it" at all. :p

He's the paradigm of their target audience. This is just another CoD, BF, etc. clone but with robots. Tons of people love those games but I find them utterly boring.

Also here's some crap: 0KD4V-HFKN9-JZLKR and costumes for the crap 0JL5P-YT3GM-CEIVP and music from the crap 0KYEH-DBTGF-YCL0C
Eh, not really. I've been an RPG whore since I was like 10. FPS games aren't my favorite, whether they be single player and story-oriented, or multiplayer bro shooters like CoD and Battlefield. I've played my fair share of CoD games, but I've only bought a few, and have only put a lot of time into two of them (Blops 1 and MW2, since it's what me and my real friends played together).

Honestly, the campaigns suck and the multiplayer gets annoying and boring. It's a guilty pleasure, because running around unlocking weapons and getting killstreaks has its appeal, but I can never play it for very long before getting bored and moving on. I do like Titanfall for all its added features and completely different feel (I'm also a massive Armored Core fan, and I haven't played a well made mech game in ages), but I can see it getting old as well.

Was there any real possibility that Titanfall would be your sort of game? I'm surprised you even tried it, to be honest. I'll also say I'm surprised to hear that Idiotekque thought that it would be your sort of game.
Definitely didn't think it would (I was surprised he signed up to the beta and installed the game, tbh). I know you guys are old and don't have the cat-like thumb reflexes of your youth. I'm glad that Big Fish can cater to your refined tastes in this chapter of your lives.

Daily

Farming Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition - 70% off ($8.39)

• w/ Modding Tutorials - $8.99
  • no DLC is on sale
Am I the only one laughing at how it's called "Titanium Edition"?

Tower of Guns is releasing next month but steam keys are available now if you bought it for $1 from IndieGameStand, I just redeemed mine.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

Neither did I! :)

On another note:

So I've been playing the Titanfall beta as well.. and I pretty much love it. I'm not a big CoD or Halo guy at all.. maybe put 25 hours total into all the CoD multiplayers combined.. but something about this one.. just clicks with me.

I am reaaaally tempted to pre-order the game, but have made a deal with myself that I won't get it until I can get it for less than $40. I don't know how long it would really hold my interest, but I am having a lot of fun. (And for those of you who are dismissing this as just a frat-boy perspective.. I'm in my late 30s lol)
I think I'm in the same boat, though I'm torn on whether to get it on PC or Xbox One. Simply put, people aren't as good on consoles. These type of multiplayer FPS games on PC are hard as shit; people are unbelievably accurate and quick. The graphics for it on the XB1 are pretty impressive anyways (obviously not PC level), so it's a bit of a hard decision.

giphy.gif
yatta.gif

Patience on Guacamelee, The Swapper, and Antichamber is rewarded.

Impatience on Dust, Giana Sisters, and Monaco is punished.

:whee:
I didn't have any of them.

#truecag

I keep puzzling over various articles like this one on how PS4 runs a game at 1080p and XBO runs it at a lower rez. The -only- time I run computer games at other than my native panel resolution is when they are really old games that don't support my panel resolution.

Does anyone here run games at other than their monitor's resolution? (when native res is supported)
I think it comes down to bad cooperation between third party devs and MS. MS gave Turn 10 access to a lot of internal info and testing content when they were making Forza, and it plays flawlessly at 1080p and 60FPS. Titanfall's beta runs at 792p, which is disappointing but since you're playing from the couch (and it's a nice smooth 60FPS as well), it's not very noticeable (and this is coming from someone who's a Nazi about resolution and framerate), and it will be upped to around 900p on release (which honestly is almost impossible to determine the difference with when couch gaming). I don't understand why other devs aren't getting the same treatment, or whether or not they're just mucking things up, because the XB1 is fully capable of 1080p.

I'd imagine it will get worked out as time goes on, but at the moment it is pretty pathetic. At least XB1s didn't come out of the box defective.

Except I don't like multiplayer only shooters. At all. People suck. They're like mean and rude and stuff.

Anyway, I thought there was a single player campaign and after I got through the tutorial I realized there wasn't so I was out. I pretty much knew it wasn't a game for me anyway but I kind of wanted to see what the fuss was about while it was still free so eh, played a few minutes of the tutorial (and yes whatevs the multiplayer is totes better yadda yadda) so I'm done.

I'm sure it will sell 800 bajillion copies for the evil empire, I just won't be one of them buying. Now excuse me while I go back to my Big Fish old lady games.

Except I don't like multiplayer only shooters. At all. People suck. They're like mean and rude and stuff.

Anyway, I thought there was a single player campaign and after I got through the tutorial I realized there wasn't so I was out. I pretty much knew it wasn't a game for me anyway but I kind of wanted to see what the fuss was about so eh, played a few minutes of the tutorial (and yes whatevs the multiplayer is totes better yadda yadda) so I'm done.

I'm sure it will sell 800 bajillion copies for the evil empire, I just won't be one of them buying. Now excuse me while I go back to my Big Fish old lady games.
Nah, I get it. It's not the kind of game that everyone can pick up and do well at anyways, and it's just frustrating and annoying if you're bad at it (it really isn't fun dying over and over again to omgso1337 13-year-olds). The multiplayer campaign mode might be cool, but it's hard to know at this point.

Have you played CoD campaigns before, though? Because they're terrible.

Does anyone want these Broken Age 25% off coupons or Aqua Kitty 30% off? They just appeared in my inventory.

Guaca is pretty cool.

Only 30%. No idea where it came from, but I also got three 25% off coupons for Broken Age at the same time.
I see why.

Maybe because Steam went offline? The moment it came back online, I also got a 25% Broken Age coupon.

EDIT: If you hover over the 25% Broken Age coupon, it says DOUBLE FINE LOYALTY.

Does anyone want these Broken Age 25% off coupons or Aqua Kitty 30% off? They just appeared in my inventory.

Guaca is pretty cool.
I'd like Aqua Kitty ! If you don't mind :3

Steam spamming me too with coupons

AquaKitti -30% stackable

5x -25% Broken Age non-stackable

-75% Shadow Warrior, stackable

-75% Rise of The Triad, stacabkle

Only 30%. No idea where it came from, but I also got three 25% off coupons for Broken Age at the same time.

Guaca is pretty cool.
Oh yeah? Well, I got coupons for Aqua Kitty, Broken Age, and Steam randomly gave me gift copies of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episode 1 what the fuck. I activated The Orange Box ages ago so this makes no sense.

I got five Broken Age coupons and one Aqua Kitty one.

Looks like you get one per Double Fine game (I own Psychonauts, The Cave, Brutal Legend, Stacking, and Iron Brigade.)

Aaaaaaaaand Steam just went down again. Great.

Nah, I get it. It's not the kind of game that everyone can pick up and do well at anyways, and it's just frustrating and annoying if you're bad at it (it really isn't fun dying over and over again to omgso1337 13-year-olds). The multiplayer campaign mode might be cool, but it's hard to know at this point.

Have you played CoD campaigns before, though? Because they're terrible.
No and I haven't played Battlefield any of that sort of thing either. Modern day military stuff doesn't really appeal to me. The scifi angle kind of did but if it's just MP only then not so much.

Are Adult Swim games bundled often? Because I want House of Dead Ninjas, but it looks like bundle fodder at this point.
There was some chatter earlier about how they never have been bundled but Spoder thinks they are fundle bodder because they do IGN prime giveaways sometimes.

Oh yeah? Well, I got coupons for Aqua Kitty, Broken Age, and Steam randomly gave me gift copies of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episode 1 what the fuck. I activated The Orange Box ages ago so this makes no sense.
FIgures... spoder got moar.

I only got two 25% off borken age and one 30% aqua kitty.

I got five Broken Age coupons and one Aqua Kitty one.

Looks like you get one per Double Fine game (I own Psychonauts, The Cave, Brutal Legend, Stacking, and Iron Brigade.)

Aaaaaaaaand Steam just went down again. Great.
I have all of those too, and I only got 3 Broken Age coupons, so I dunno.

No and I haven't played Battlefield any of that sort of thing either. Modern day military stuff doesn't really appeal to me. The scifi angle kind of did but if it's just MP only then not so much.

There was some chatter earlier about how they never have been bundled but Spoder thinks they are fundle bodder because they do IGN prime giveaways sometimes.
Battlefield 3 is worth a try just for the experience with your headphones cranked up. The ambiance of the game is pretty impressive, ducking down alleyways, having gunfire chatter around you, nearby grenades deafening your ears and making them ring, as well as the destructible environment where an RPG will take out a wall and expose a concealed enemy.

Only if you already own it, at least, because the novelty of the game's feel only goes so far, since it's still a multiplayer military shooter. Quite an impressive game, though, even though I got tired of the MP quickly and the campaign didn't grab me whatsoever.

Oh and since we were talking about Microsoft wireless controllers and my puppy chewing shit up he must have known I was talking about him. I get home a few minutes ago and find my Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel all chewed up with parts everywhere. That's the 'wheel' that's actually U shaped and you hold it up in the air not connected to anything. I called it my Wonder Woman invisible jet wheel because it made me feel like Wonder Woman flying the invisible jet. Shut up.

Goodbye not wheel shaped wheel. I hardly used ye.

I got like 5 Broken Age coupons, 1 30% off Aqua Kitty, 1 75% off Shadow Warrior coupon, and then an extra copy of Portal and Portal 2 added to my inventory just now...interesting.  

PSA: A shit ton of people got Double Fine and Milk Kitty coupons. WE KNOW

I have all of those too, and I only got 3 Broken Age coupons, so I dunno.

Battlefield 3 is worth a try just for the experience with your headphones cranked up. The ambiance of the game is pretty impressive, ducking down alleyways, having gunfire chatter around you, nearby grenades deafening your ears and making them ring, as well as the destructible environment where an RPG will take out a wall and expose a concealed enemy.

Only if you already own it, at least, because the novelty of the game's feel only goes so far, since it's still a multiplayer military shooter. Quite an impressive game, though, even though I got tired of the MP quickly and the campaign didn't grab me whatsoever.
I had to check because I don't pay attention to what the hell I own on Origin but yeah I have Battlefield 3 and 2 and 1942 there. I guess I should give it a shot some time just to say I did.

Oh and since we were talking about Microsoft wireless controllers and my puppy chewing shit up he must have known I was talking about him. I get home a few minutes ago and find my Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel all chewed up with parts everywhere. That's the 'wheel' that's actually U shaped and you hold it up in the air not connected to anything. I called it my Wonder Woman invisible jet wheel because it made me feel like Wonder Woman flying the invisible jet. Shut up.

Goodbye not wheel shaped wheel. I hardly used ye.
How many times do we have to tell you, ARSETTO CORSA IS NOT FOR PUPPIES.

I'll see your 5  Broken Age and 1 Aqua kitty coupons, and raise you an extra  copy of Aerena Clash of Champions.

I got 5 of these useless coupons too. own everything but broken age.

some news about cheating on steam

Company tries to thwart cheat developers by making it financially unfeasible
In response to a Reddit thread claiming that the Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) program records users’ browsing history, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell replied that it isn’t the case. Newell broached the subject on his own Reddit thread to provide an explanation of how VAC works in order to refute these claims.

Newell brought up the topic of cheat developers who, according to Newell, have difficulty in getting users to pay them. This has resulted in cheat developers programming DRM and anti-cheat codes for their product creations in order to get paid. To do this, however, the cheat program will send out a call to a DRM server in order to authenticate whether or not it was actually paid for.

What VAC does, Newell said, is check “for the presence of such cheats.” He explained, “If they were detected VAC then checked to see which cheat DRM server was being contacted. This second check was done by looking for a partial match to those (non-web) cheat DRM servers in the DNS cache. If found, then hashes of the matching DNS entries were sent to the VAC servers. The match was double checked on our servers and then that client was marked for a future ban. Less than a tenth of one percent of clients triggered the second check. 570 cheaters are being banned as a result.”

csgo.png

For Valve, trust is an important part of the multiplayer community and, according to Newell, “Cheat versus trust is an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. New cheats are created all the time, detected, banned, and tweaked. This specific VAC test for this specific round of cheats was effective for 13 days, which is fairly typical. It is now no longer active as the cheat providers have worked around it by manipulating the DNS cache of their customers' client machines.”

Because kernel-level cheats are expensive to create, Valve’s goal, Newell said, “is to make them (cheats) more expensive for cheaters and cheat creators than the economic benefits they can reasonably expect to gain.”

Newell went on to explain that the accusations made against Valve are a form of attack from cheat developers hoping to cause mistrust between Valve and its consumers. He ended his post saying, “Our response is to make it clear what we were actually doing and why with enough transparency that people can make their own judgments as to whether or not we are trustworthy.”

Steam just updated:

We have several small changes today around trade offers, emoticons, and profile backgrounds: 

• You can once again include a note with your trade offer, and these will display in a new style. 
  • Emoticons are now supported in profile descriptions and showcases. 
  • Emoticons are also supported in group announcements 
  • The emoticon list is now sorted by game name, then by emoticon name. 
  • Emoticon item descriptions in inventory, trade, and market will now show a preview of the small size emoticon. 
  • Profile background item descriptions in inventory, trade, and market now have a link to preview the background full-size.

I was just noticing that the Aqua Kitty coupon doesn't have the usual disclaimer of not stacking. C'mon sale! 

(fat chance, it's new. It's on my wishlist). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back