Trade 4, get 1 (PS2/GC/PSP/DS). Trade 2, get 1 (360). Sam Goody/FYE/etc. Dead?- YMMV

W.arner1281

CAGiversary!
Feedback
179 (100%)
Stopped in my local Sam Goody today and saw this deal there.

Xbox360- Trade in any 2 360 games and get a new 360 game for free.
PS2/Xbox/GC/PSP/DS- Trade in any 4 games and get a new game for free.

Restrictions: Can't mix and match (ie- trade 2 PS2 games and 2 Xbox games and you can't trade 4 Xbox games and get a PS2 game). New game must be 39.99 or less (44.99 or less for 360). Anything that trades in for a penny in their system is ineligible (any sports 2003 or before + a few other titles).

End date: Sept 10th (but some places are honoring it til the end of September)

Notes: The lady mentioned that this was good at all sister stores (Wherehouse, Strawberries, FYE, Coconuts, etc.). Even if your particular store doesn't carry used games, they will still accept them and then transfer them to other stores.

Since there are basically no restrictions, you should be able to bring in any 4 crap games and get a brand new game for them. I will try and answer any questions as best I can. Have at it and enjoy it while it lasts.

PS- I found (and tested) this at the Sam Goody at the Parkway Plaza mall in El Cajon.

[quote name='Pookymeister']HMmmm, i didnt see it lying around , otherwise i wouldve skipped veronica mars(2nd copy)[/quote]

I dont know if your FYE is like mine, but they have all HBO boxsets seperated from the other boxsets. If you didnt look in that section, that may be why you didnt see it. Or, if its like mine, maybe they just do a shitty job of keeping things in stock.

managed to get dead rising
traded in ridge racer
dynasty warrior 5
dead rising also had a ten dollar mail in rebate on it. dont know if i should use it though

Traded 4 copies of Zoo Keeper for a copy of Mario Kart (only thing decent in stock) at the Indianapolis Castleton FYE.

Went back on Saturday with four GCN games, but was told they didnt do trades on the weekend. Since I was in a hurry I didnt make a scene and will try again tonight.

I picked up Saints Row in San Diego for two copies of Madden 06. I didn't even have to pay any tax or anything!
The employee I talked to said the sale is going on until the 20th.

im going to try again tomorrow the one by paramus park, nj. i had 1 success trade over there.. i actually tried doing this at palisades mall, ny and the lady wouldnt even honor this deal! its so pathetic... she said she would only do it if its newer games, i argued and said then you dont really participate, and whatever shes doing is false advertising. she went on to continue trying to do my games for the regular trade in value and i told her thats not what i came there for.

[quote name='phear3d']im going to try again tomorrow the one by paramus park, nj. i had 1 success trade over there.. i actually tried doing this at palisades mall, ny and the lady wouldnt even honor this deal! its so pathetic... she said she would only do it if its newer games, i argued and said then you dont really participate, and whatever shes doing is false advertising. she went on to continue trying to do my games for the regular trade in value and i told her thats not what i came there for.[/quote]

You should've taken the drive over the Tappan Zee into White Plains. I got away like a bandit at the fye in the Westchester Mall.

[quote name='depascal22']You should've taken the drive over the Tappan Zee into White Plains. I got away like a bandit at the fye in the Westchester Mall.[/quote]

do u know if the whiteplains one is still doing it, if so i might try tomorrow.

I tried to trade in some xbox and ps2 games for a psp game earlier but they said I couldn't mix & match platforms. The same store did that for me twice on Saturday, it's amazing at how YMMV this deal is.

[quote name='phear3d']im going to try again tomorrow the one by paramus park, nj. i had 1 success trade over there.. i actually tried doing this at palisades mall, ny and the lady wouldnt even honor this deal! its so pathetic... she said she would only do it if its newer games, i argued and said then you dont really participate, and whatever shes doing is false advertising. she went on to continue trying to do my games for the regular trade in value and i told her thats not what i came there for.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother with Paramus Park. The people that work there are douches. The first guy told me they weren't doing the deal then another guy came over (manager?) and told me the trade-in deal was on but they couldn't take my games because they were "junky" and they couldn't sell them for a lot. He was a real prick about it too. At least I got Breath of Fire II for GBA there, amazingly enough :)

Went to FYE at the Walden Galleria in Buffalo NY.

I was there pretty much when they opened. Spent yesterday going around EB's and Gamestops buying up cheap games. I scanned the stores with a list of games in my pocket that have the highest trade in values at EB/Gamestop.
I picked out Naruto Ultimate Ninja for PS2 (They really didnt have much selection). I tried to trade Powerdrome but they said they had 24 copies already LOL CAG'D.

The manager said the sale ended today but since they hadn't taken the signs down yet they would honour it.
They accepted Max Payne 2 for PS2 and Xbox,
Blowout for PS2 and
PN 03 for GC. I paid 3.50 sales tax (damn NY:bomb:), headed straight across the way to the EB in the mall.

Traded Naruto in for 26.50 with the 10 percent on my Edge Card, along with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 for GC and PS2,
Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future twin pack for Xbox,
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age for GC
Powerdrome for PS2

Total Trade in Value. $54.50

Nt bad for not only spent 3.50

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I picked up Saints Row in San Diego for two copies of Madden 06. I didn't even have to pay any tax or anything!
The employee I talked to said the sale is going on until the 20th.[/quote]

What location?

I went to the Parkway Plaza one today and two employees had no clue what so ever so they said the deal was over (even though the other manager said it was on until the 15th...

Indy FYE took 4 GCN games; however, they would not let me buy a $49.99 game with the trade and pay the difference... Had to settle on a $29.99 (Hulk) title because thats all they had... I may go back to a different cashier and try to exchange it up for something I actually want, but worst case I have a Christmas gift covered.

i traded in:
Blowout - PS2
NFL Street - GC
NBA Live 04 - GC
WWE: DoR - GC

i got tekken: DR. i want to get Guilty Gear Judgement but they dont have.
blowout, nfl street, nba all brand new never played. well i did play a bit of blowout. do they take jampacks?

[quote name='trunks982']i traded in:
Blowout - PS2
NFL Street - GC
NBA Live 04 - GC

blowout, nfl street, nba all brand new never played. well i did play a bit of blowout. do they take jampacks?[/QUOTE]
they should take in jam pack 14, however some people got it reject.

well it still works at one FYE in Ridgewood. They were EXTREMELY anal about the condition of the games. Also, they did not take any xbox games and were hesitant on taking 3 ps2s and 1 GC game. I finally got them to give me Dirge of Cerberus though. Glad they didnt catch the price exclusion on the back of the signs.

[quote name='phear3d']do u know if the whiteplains one is still doing it, if so i might try tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

FYE White Plains is no longer honoring the deal.

My first post on CAG!

Thanks very much, OP! I went to the Strawberries in Downtown Crossing, Boston and almost didn't get the deal because the guys there said they don't take in used games an hour before closing... I gave them the puppy dog eyes and they caved.

Managed to get Yakuza for PS2 after they let me pay the difference. They didn't have much selection; I really wanted to get RE4, but Yakuza is turning out to be awesome.

[quote name='UFOff']My first post on CAG!

Thanks very much, OP! I went to the Strawberries in Downtown Crossing, Boston and almost didn't get the deal because the guys there said they don't take in used games an hour before closing... I gave them the puppy dog eyes and they caved.

Managed to get Yakuza for PS2 after they let me pay the difference. They didn't have much selection; I really wanted to get RE4, but Yakuza is turning out to be awesome.[/quote]

No problem. Glad you got in on it. This is my first deal post, so I like to think of it as my baby. Slowly she's growing up and soon she'll be out of the house for good. Hope everyone got to know her well. :baby:

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for the deal. I traded in 2 Madden 06 games for Saints Row. Good find.

I went in yesterday (Monday 9/11) and apparently the corporate offices finally wised up and figured out this deal wasn't such a good deal for their company. Oh well, now I've got to return all these cheap ass games I picked up at EB. Too bad, I really wanted to try Chromehounds.

Went to FYE this morning (Tuesday). Exchanged my sealed copy of Hitman: Blood Money (PS2) for Lego Star Wars 2 (PS2). No questions, no problems. In & out within minutes.

[quote name='UFOff']My first post on CAG!

Managed to get Yakuza for PS2 after they let me pay the difference. They didn't have much selection; I really wanted to get RE4, but Yakuza is turning out to be awesome.[/QUOTE]

That store on Monday told me they didn't have Yakuza. :cry:

Cool too see it's still going on there, I'm gonna try trading some more stuff there tommorw. Out of curiosity, what games did you trade in?

::is really pissed at himself for not seeing this thread before::

bah! what a great deal. I can't believe I missed this!

[quote name='trunks982']i traded in:
Blowout - PS2
NFL Street - GC
NBA Live 04 - GC

blowout, nfl street, nba all brand new never played. well i did play a bit of blowout. do they take jampacks?[/QUOTE]

Which one in NYC did you go to? The one in Midtown (51st and 6th Ave) said they don't take used games.

Thanks!!!

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']That store on Monday told me they didn't have Yakuza. :cry:

Cool too see it's still going on there, I'm gonna try trading some more stuff there tommorw. Out of curiosity, what games did you trade in?[/QUOTE]

I traded in College Hoops 2k5, Hot Shots Golf 4, Spider-Man 2, and Silent Scope 3. I don't know if that store'll still do the deal now, though. I was told the deal was going to end "very soon".

About Yakuza, the guy went in the back to get it. Either they sold it out or maybe too many kids started saying fuck. That game has more fuck in it than fuck on Spanish Fly.

Did well today at Wherehouse Music in Independence, Missouri.

I tossed a few crap games in my car and stopped there first to see if the deal was still going. Yep, so I asked if they cared if I had duplicates, nope! I could even mix and match. Off I went to Kmart and GS.

So...basically I traded 4 ~$2 games for brand new games. Only downer is they didn't have LocoRoco, but I might go back and do the deal again, or see if I can exchange. They didn't know when the deal would end. Here is the damage...games were adjusted to $10.42 trade in credit, so I didn't even pay tax on the games...

All PS2 except Riiiiidddggeeee Racer.

Max Payne 2 (1.49...as you can see, I used this a few times)
SSX On Tour - $5 at GR...bought this with credit during the sale...don't like it.
Enter The Matrix - $2 Kmart
DS Ridge Racer- $2 Kmart

For Syphone Filter PSP

Timesplitters (.99 at pawn shop)
MVP Baseball 04!!!!!! (.49)
Enter The Matrix $2 Kmart
Max Payne 2 - $1.49

For Pursuit Force PSP

Gran Turismo 3 - $2
Madden 04 - $2
Madden 04 - $2
Powerdrome Racing - $2

For Socom Fireteam Bravo PSP

Max Payne 2 - $1.49
ESPN NFL 2k3 - 1.49
ESPN NFL 2k5 - 1.99
Ace Combat 5 - I've had this and I like 4 better

For PS2 BLACK

Enter the Matrix - $2
Powerdrome - $2
Project Snowblind $2.50 I think GR
Killer 7 - GR $3.50 I think

For Madden PSP --- GET THIS....plus a $10 REBATE! I know their mail in rebates take forever but it will be a nice surprise in January.

Timesplitters and Madden 2004 rang in at a penny but he still took them. Said that it didn't matter. It was awesome because I had brought a couple backups, thinking I would have to sub in some games for ones they wouldn't take, so I put 14 games on the counter on my first trip, and he says, 'you have extra, take out two, go pick your new games, and we'll ring it up.' Freakin awesome, 5 new games and a $10 rebate check.

How often does this deal happen? Or was this the first time? I'm considering saving the rest of my possible EB trade-ins for the next time this comes around.

[quote name='onikage']How often does this deal happen? Or was this the first time? I'm considering saving the rest of my possible EB trade-ins for the next time this comes around.[/quote]

First time ive heard of it.

One thing I learned about this sale is how YMMV it is getting some damn stores to accept games. I've had two stores refuse to take my DS games saying they don't accept them, and yet they had a rack of used DS games in the store.

[quote name='hwong3']Which one in NYC did you go to? The one in Midtown (51st and 6th Ave) said they don't take used games.

Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

it was at brooklyn 86st. probably ended.

my FYE, warehouse, and sam goody stores had crap for selection. i wanted Rumble Roses, Lego Star wars 2, enchanted arms, and saints row. i got Battlefield 2, prey, hitman bloodmoney, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and Dead Rising.

i'm probably going to send all of these back, unless someone else decides they'd want to trade...

This deal worked for me at the FYE in Tyrone Mall in St. Petersburg. FL. Traded MVP Baseball, FIFA Soccer, Tiger Woods Golf and Gretsky Hockey (all the old editions) (PSP) for Valkyrie Profile. I wanted LocoRoco, but they didn't have it in stock. May hold on to Valkyrie to exchange if they get it in soon.

My local store has no restrictions because it just opened up a week ago. The bad news? All my games were at college :whistle2:(

But Im going back Tuesday.

[quote name='AfroPig']geeze, I went into the W. Laffayette FYE yesterday after getting some cheap games from GS. I go in, and all 8 of my games work fine for the deal. I didn't see anything I wanted that was there (they wouldn't let me pay the dif. on KH 2) but they let me special order Suikoden 5 and made sure I would be able to do the trade when it came in.

I got a call just now saying that for some unknown reason, the store wasn't going to be able to get the game in... :([/QUOTE]The Fye in Lafayette doesn't really carry anything. That's why I'm not really bothering with the deal.

I have some questions for anyone who traded in used games at The Wherehouse for new games.

I traded for 2 new PS2 games which came sealed separately in a plastic bag. The clerk assured me they were still brand new. When I opened the plastic bags both discs were scratched and had some sort of strange scuff mark patterns near the edges. It seriously looks like they threw the discs around and then used a hot iron to seal those packages which left an imprint on the discs. What's strange is that the imprint is only on the playable surface... the top side of the disc with the artwork looks fine. I ran Nero disc quality scans and though both discs pass, they have higher average PIFs than I've seen on other pressed discs... one of them has a constant minimum PIF of 4 instead of the occasional PIF spike.

Did anyone else find their "new" discs from The Wherehouse were in bad shape? Does The Wherehouse use something hot to seal them which harms the discs? I'm contemplating trying to exchange them, although I wonder if any others will be any better... unless this problem is specific to my store.

[quote name='Ubichu']I have some questions for anyone who traded in used games at The Wherehouse for new games.

I traded for 2 new PS2 games which came sealed separately in a plastic bag. The clerk assured me they were still brand new. When I opened the plastic bags both discs were scratched and had some sort of strange scuff mark patterns near the edges. It seriously looks like they threw the discs around and then used a hot iron to seal those packages which left an imprint on the discs. What's strange is that the imprint is only on the playable surface... the top side of the disc with the artwork looks fine. I ran Nero disc quality scans and though both discs pass, they have higher average PIFs than I've seen on other pressed discs... one of them has a constant minimum PIF of 4 instead of the occasional PIF spike.

Did anyone else find their "new" discs from The Wherehouse were in bad shape? Does The Wherehouse use something hot to seal them which harms the discs? I'm contemplating trying to exchange them, although I wonder if any others will be any better... unless this problem is specific to my store.[/quote]

No games are BRAND NEW unless still factory sealed. Most likely the clerk just said they were new because he didn't know any better, as do most FYE emplloyees.

[quote name='Pookymeister']No games are BRAND NEW unless still factory sealed. Most likely the clerk just said they were new because he didn't know any better, as do most FYE emplloyees.[/quote]
OK. Since the 4-for-1 deal was for "new" games and all of the Wherehouse's games have been removed from their packages, I guess it was for "almost new" games. I can handle that, but I don't like the fact that both of the discs have lots of surface defects that look like the imprint of something mechanical.

Has anyone else who bought "new" games at the Wherehouse seen these surface defects I'm talking about? Do they do this rewrapping in the store or at the main Wherehouse distributor before shipping?

[quote name='Ubichu']OK. Since the 4-for-1 deal was for "new" games and all of the Wherehouse's games have been removed from their packages, I guess it was for "almost new" games. I can handle that, but I don't like the fact that both of the discs have lots of surface defects that look like the imprint of something mechanical.

Has anyone else who bought "new" games at the Wherehouse seen these surface defects I'm talking about? Do they do this rewrapping in the store or at the main Wherehouse distributor before shipping?[/quote]

No, I've never had that problem with them before. The one time I bought a new game from Wherehouse, it was an open copy (it was their last copy, so they had the box on the floor, but the disc and manual behind the counter). However, the disc & manual were in mint condition, so I assume they were in fact new. Never had any resealed games from them though.

bread's done
Back