Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='ekoshyun']Goddamn some of these levels are hard as hell to get an A grade on...[/QUOTE]

It's very difficult on a few of them (e.g. 7, 14, 17) unless you know what's coming (in which case, it's easy).

Defense Boost + Awaken Potential on Alicia goes a long way in most, though.

shoot em in the head! SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD~!!!

1233398035330.jpg

yeay~!! I beat this game! It was awesome!!

btw I hella shot the final boss in the head!! it was awesome!!

after the victory, we won the war and all lived in peace thanks to the hundreds of muhfukkas we shot in the head!!

spoilers about the ending:

hay Welkin! Remember all those guys I shot in the head?!?! Well... here's sum bread!!

[quote name='JEKKI']shoot em in the head! SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD~!!!

1233398035330.jpg

yeay~!! I beat this game! It was awesome!!

btw I hella shot the final boss in the head!! it was awesome!!

after the victory, we won the war and all lived in peace thanks to the hundreds of muhfukkas we shot in the head!!

spoilers about the ending:

hay Welkin! Remember all those guys I shot in the head?!?! Well... here's sum bread!!
[/quote]

hahah nice. I anti personnel'd Rosie and got up right next to the boss and shot him all in the head like 5 times in a row lol. What a resilient guy.

[quote name='JEKKI']
[/QUOTE]

Ain't nothin' like fresh bread baked after a long day of head shootin' -- made by your adorable daughter, no less.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so cheapest place to get?[/QUOTE]

Probably eBay or used on Amazon for ~$50 used including shipping.

Given the limited number of copies for sale on these venues, I don't expect Sega to be dropping the price officially any time soon. It's not like the used market is being flooded like most other major releases. Pretty impressive given the lack of multi-player element (which of course doesn't guarantee a game won't be flipped quickly).

Now bring on the DLC!!! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Rolento, you can get it used for like 48 or 49 at gamestop with the -10% coupon and -10% edge card... after taxes of course.

so many ppl have a hard time finding this game,

this game is going out of print before it gets a price drop.

u gotta wait for that $40 GQD rerelease.

Heard this game is getting hard to find but I went to Best Buy the other day since their website said my local store had it in stock and sure enough, they had 4 copies left.

Shame this game is selling so poorly over here. I was tempted to get a used copy to save some $ but went ahead and got a new copy to show some support to the dev. I know 1 copy isn't going to make a difference in sales but just wanted to show them support for making a quality game.

[quote name='V878'] I know 1 copy isn't going to make a difference in sales but just wanted to show them support for making a quality game.[/QUOTE]

on the contrary, one copy DOES make a difference! and now u are the man!!

everything starts at one! like Welkin, he is ONE dood!!

Valkyria Chronicles, let's hug it out!!

[quote name='JEKKI']on the contrary, one copy DOES make a difference! and now u are the man!!

everything starts at one! like Welkin, he is ONE dood!!

Valkyria Chronicles, let's hug it out!![/quote]

haha that's true every sale does count for something. This game looks awesome. Can't wait to play it when I get a little free time this weekend.

[quote name='dyeknom']Rolento, you can get it used for like 48 or 49 at gamestop with the -10% coupon and -10% edge card... after taxes of course.[/quote]

I'll see what I an do... >_

Anyone know if the Japanese release, Senjou no Valkyria, has English audio or text? Are there any major differences between the North American release (Valkyria Chronicles) and the Japanese release?
For some reason, although they're currently out of stock, Play Asia is selling Senjou no Valkyria for $45 USD as opposed to the North American price of $55~$60 USD.
Would anyone recommend for/against getting the Japanese version and saving some $$? I can't read Japanese, so would I be losing out on an English manual that would otherwise let me play the game?
Thanks!

[quote name='oblongspot']Sorry for sound like a broken record, and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere in CAG, but looks like you can get the Japanese version for $42 USD with free shipping to the US at Yesasia.com!

But yeah, back to my original question, if you don't mind ;)
Basically, would a Japanese-illiterate person be able to play the import version? Is there a tutorial system, and is it in English? Is there an English audio option?
Thanks![/quote]

I have been looking through Google and I am sure it is safe to say the Japanese version is all Japanese.

I think you will really be missing out if you cannot read or understand what the game or characters are saying.

[quote name='Razzuel']I have been looking through Google and I am sure it is safe to say the Japanese version is all Japanese.

I think you will really be missing out if you cannot read or understand what the game or characters are saying.[/quote]

mmm, guess there're limits to being cheap. thanks though, very much appreciated.

well you do not really need to understand the game's story or text to play the game as it's a strategy game.

u jus move and shoot pretty much

[quote name='JEKKI']well you do not really need to understand the game's story or text to play the game as it's a strategy game.

u jus move and shoot pretty much[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do that. You do need the pointers and instructions early on...or at least I would. There would be too much trail and error IMHO. I can't imagine trying to figure out what to do in Chap 7 if you even got that far w/o English.

[quote name='oblongspot']Sorry for sound like a broken record, and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere in CAG, but looks like you can get the Japanese version for $42 USD with free shipping to the US at Yesasia.com!

But yeah, back to my original question, if you don't mind ;)
Basically, would a Japanese-illiterate person be able to play the import version? Is there a tutorial system, and is it in English? Is there an English audio option?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Believe me, man, if the Japanese version were playable by non-Japanese speakers/readers, a lot of us would've imported it immediately. If you can't read Japanese, you've gotta get the US version. ...Or European version, if by some miracle you find that cheaper.

I picked it up a few days ago, just played the Prologue, and so far love it. Great game so far, heh. Got the only copy my Gamestop had.

Wish there was trophies though.

I'm about halfway through it, AFAIK. Very fun. I wish I had experimented with Orders earlier. They can easily turn a single squad member into a killing machine. I probably wouldn't have gone running to GameFAQs for a few missions if I had known how powerful they are. Rosie absolutely rips through enemies now.

Is this really hard to find? I mean, i was hoping to pick this up on a price drop or sale at some point.... but you guys are scaring me with all this "it'll vanish forever soon! ZOMG" talk.

I mean seriously... I heard the same for Zack and Wiki barbados treasure on the wii, and its still like... everywhere.

SO honest... NBSA (NO BULLSH ASSESMENT) to I have to run out and buy one full price if i ever want to play it? or will this most likely hang around on shelves for universal price drops? (Remember, even if you buy the game full price vs universal price drop.... it wont matter to the game company, as no more copies are being printed supposedly, so the retail store you bought from wouldnt buy anymore anyways to replace the one you bought, as no more were made.)

from the looks of it, the game will not be getting reprinted.

Don't expect a official price drop, but u may see a clearance since nobody's buying the game

hmmm, clearance, i wonder if target has any that may hit the clearance racks soon. but would i even want to take that risk... decisions decisions.

[quote name='reicaden']hmmm, clearance, i wonder if target has any that may hit the clearance racks soon. but would i even want to take that risk... decisions decisions.[/QUOTE]I don't think Target ever stocked the game. Only places I've seen it at were CC (but they closed), Wal-Mart, GameStop, and Best Buy. None of them have all that many copies either.

Unfortunately because too many people it seems were hoping for a price drop (and keep in mind Valkyria Chronicles had to sell 500k copies worldwide to break even, due to the high costs in its graphic engine), that's why the game hasn't sold too well, Sega of America laid off some translation staff (to make up for the money lost), and now they are very unlikely to bring Yakuza 3 stateside due to other games not selling. If it's a Sega game dealing with Sonic, EA, Activision, or many big western publisher game, people can wait for a price drop. But for a niche game from a publisher who hasn't been doing too great financially, people better pick it up because they are likely to never bring anymore games like that stateside if they under perform. I'm not trying to knock Reicaden for this (he's not who I'm really talking about here), I'm just trying to mention several people I've seen around various forums.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm not trying to knock Reicaden for this...[/quote]

Ahh, glad you added that in, was thinking "but i just want to play games and save money too :( " lol.

I dont EXACTLY know how the industry works, so if anyone can clarify it for me, that would be great but... this is my understanding:

1). Company makes X (number) of games. and retailers buy them from the company to put on shelves.

2). Retailers see that demand is low, so it sits and sits, eventually they clearance it, to make a bit off it, preferably.

3). I buy it clearanced.

4). Retailer doesnt buy more because there was little demand compared to Halo 8, DMC 4, and Final Fantasy XXIII for that sell period.

----

That said, unless this game had a HUGE hype machine to compete with bigname titles, it would never have sold enough to make retailers *restock* shelves in quick turnover. Whether I bought it day 2, or bought it day 365... the retailer was prob not going to restock many units, because they'd rather invest that capital in more copies of Halo 8, to have on hand. And as such, was not going to buy a basketload more from Sega.

.....SO, my question is: does that sorta make sense? or is that not how the industry works?

just seems like unless this game had a hype machine the size of king kong, it would be unlikely for retailers to invest serious money in a huge number of units, since other big name games are in more demand, hence more supply is needed.

And all of that boils down to me wondering if, on a 1 person scale, me buying it full price day 1 vs day 365 makes any difference, when the hype machine still disctates 95% of retail purchases.

BUT. THAT SAID. I'm headed to Best Buy in 30 minutes to pick it up, lol.

I do like you reicaden and I honestly wasn't trying to aim my argument at you (trust me, I know way too many people who made complaints and so on before release). ;)

I bring up about the jobs being lost because Chris Kaminski, who was apart of the Valkyria Chronicles localization at Sega (who wrote about the games updates at the PS Blog) ended up getting laid off (according to Jeff R. at the PS Blog). :whistle2:( It was sad since he was such a nice guy.

The situation is Valkyria Chronicles kind of needed to sell, and it went ignored. I put part of the blame on Sega for its release timing, and I put some blame on others who kind of let the game get ignored (the PS Store had a demo up for a while which is very good). Many VC fans are sad because it's one of the best games Sega has released in years, and we are starting to think we might not see another game like it.

Valkyria Chronicles is definitely worth it though. It got RPG of the year at RPGamer. :D
http://www.rpgamer.com/awards/2008/results/rpg_oty.html

RPG of the year, very nice! The game sounds amazing, based on what i've heard here... i just didnt jump on it day 1, well, cause i dont jump on any games day 1 :( seems like too many of them end up clearanced 4 months later. Most of the time, that day 1 game i bought sits on my shelf sealed for months and months anyways, for lack of time.

Can't risk it on this one though i guess, since it wont see a reprint. It is a shame about how the industry costs are affecting so many companies :( Good games often dont make it through the hype walls though and just end up ignored.

I wish sega had atleast run a campaign for this, maybe promoted in a few movie theaters or tossed it on tv a few times, i didn't even hear about it till it was already released and this thread popped up on the front page...actually. caught my attention and this is where i first learned about it.

I hope these games shine through, but its hard to compete... dont know if next gen or even the end of this gen will see many original games come out.

2d-boy with world of goo... had to file for bankruptcy.
This game, fired staff and no reprint.

etc etc, it just seems good games cant fight off the EA Megamonster or Microsoft Beast.

Finally A-ranked a something at The Battle at Marberry Shore. Scouts are definitely overpowered with the right Orders, but considering the requirement for high ranks, they're a necessity. It's weird for a scout's rifle to be able to take out a heavy tank but I'll take it.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Whats the advantages to installing the game?[/QUOTE]

imo it's not worth the space. I played through the entire game without installing and the load times weren't bad at all.

Given the layoffs that Mana mentioned, I wonder if that will impact the release of the additional campaigns... I certainly hope not, as it should be a (relatively) inexpensive venture in order to continue recouping losses.

But at the very least, they'll release the "Hard" campaign mode which should be simple as no translation would be needed.

Not seeing Yakuza 3 Stateside breaks my heart. I now need to consider importing it, and hoping my Japanese is good enough to get at least 40% of the dialogue and follow online guides for the rest.

Poor Sega -- this game really deserves better.

Yeah, there are 19 chapters in the game. There are like 6-7 Reports as well (I completed them all except for the bottom one, which didn't come up for me in my first playthrough).

No update on DLC yet, but I hope they release them soon.

BTW, the Report Mission titled "Flowers on the Battlefield" is a BITCH!

Hey all, I'm somewhat late with getting the game, but now that I've got it and I'm up to that dreaded ch. 7 battle. The only guide available on gamefaqs pretty much makes it seem like the Retreat order is required to win this battle. However, I didn't think to visit the cemetery since I figured that it would just be a simple list of all the guys I've lost so far (which are none). Now that I have though, the old man only offered me healing request. I denied it the first time hoping he'd offer something different later on, but when I came back it was still healing request. So I figured I'd take healing request in hopes that he would then offer me something else, but now he hasn't offered anything since then. From reading around elsewhere, it seems like he randomly has new orders available, but only after storyline battles.

So I'm in a catch 22 here, and my question is, should I just start over and make sure I visit him often to try to get him to offer me Retreat, or is it possible to beat that battle without it? My classes are around level 7 right now with I think my lancers and engies at level 8.

no, Retreat isn't required to win it, even Ace it. Trust me, there's a great way to beat it that's pretty much flawless.

Alright then.

Usually after I finish a chapter I use all my points at the shops and graveyard, although i'm only up to chapter 5 now. Seeing that guy above say his characters are level 7 though is making me kind of nervous; mine are all level 3 (I do the equal amount between all thing) and he's only 2 chapters ahead of me :(

bread's done
Back