Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='jalopez86']at least now i know. i've been spending time trying to reach all the bodies i kill.[/quote]

I think I remember reading that in the Japanese version that's how you get the Ace weapons, though I could be mistaken.

I spent the first half of the game making a point of touching fallen soldiers too, figuring that if it bothered to make them vanish, it must do something. Nope.

Has anyone seen a speculated release date for stateside release of the DLC? I'd get it immediately as well.

[quote name='bvharris']Has anyone seen a speculated release date for stateside release of the DLC? I'd get it immediately as well.[/quote]

From the Valkyria Tribune page:
"Something new looms on Gallia's horizon... are you ready?
4:31 PM Mar 2nd from web"

Seeing as he says on the horizon I am guessing it is coming pretty soon.

Important note; they've continually referred to this as the first batch of DLC. Obviously with Sega's financial troubles it is quite possible that could be a limiting factor in further DLC but at least they are considering it. Also they've talked about how the engine is the most expensive part to make, and Sega might make further games with the engine to recoup losses. Again whether or not that happens is all speculation, and the chances of it coming over are slim to none I'd think.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']getting this from gamefly! if it sticks to me enough I'll buy it off them... they send the case and guide if I buy right?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Finally!!!!

getting this from gamefly! if it sticks to me enough I'll buy it off them... they send the case and guide if I buy right?[/quote]

Same here actually and for once they shipped it the same day as I returned a game.

Started playing again recently, and I just did "Fight for Ghirlandaio" in 3 turns. I'm sure if everything went right, you could do it in 2. At first, I didn't like the fact that players are graded on how fast they complete missions. But once you turn Squad 7 into a lean, mean Alisha-supportin' machine, it sort of makes sense.

I've noticed the enemy AI making better use of their CP these past few battles. Before, if they caught someone out in the open, they'd make a single attempt to take them out and end it there, regardless of whether or not they killed the target. Now, they'll use a few CPs if necessary.

If you'll excuse me, it's time to crush the enemy while wearing really, REALLY short skirts.

[quote name='OatmealMu']Alisha[/quote]

Your misspellings should earn you a stoning
/crazed JRPG fan

As far as the twitter stuff goes..."Good things come in threes". That's my guess. And it means DLC is finally hitting stateside because in Japan there were 3 DLC packs (Although one was free and it was a very hard mode add-on).

Oops, I thought it looked funny. I could edit it, of course, but I have a cat that feeds on nerd rage and she's been looking a bit thin lately, so...

[quote name='OatmealMu']Started playing again recently, and I just did "Fight for Ghirlandaio" in 3 turns. I'm sure if everything went right, you could do it in 2. [/QUOTE]

If you're really careful and have levelled scouts you can do it in 1.

Though that can be said for the majority of the story missions.

[quote name='KingBroly']Your misspellings should earn you a stoning
/crazed JRPG fan

As far as the twitter stuff goes..."Good things come in threes". That's my guess. And it means DLC is finally hitting stateside because in Japan there were 3 DLC packs (Although one was free and it was a very hard mode add-on).[/QUOTE]

The EX Hard Mode was not free.

Finally traded this game off to someone for a pretty good deal. Good riddance. I think I would've been more lenient on this game had it been on PS2. Definitely not next-gen.

Soooooo on Valkyria Chronicle's twitter, they've been running this cryptic word thingy and giving new clues every day. I solved it yesterday, and it's "Good things come in threes." But they haven't updated it today...has anyone heard anything new about the DLC? Or if they are going to turn it into a trilogy?

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Soooooo on Valkyria Chronicle's twitter, they've been running this cryptic word thingy and giving new clues every day. I solved it yesterday, and it's "Good things come in threes." But they haven't updated it today...has anyone heard anything new about the DLC? Or if they are going to turn it into a trilogy?[/quote]

Well, I think Japan got three pieces of DLC, so I'd say it's more likely that they're announcing a stateside release of those.

I would be thrilled if this game got a sequel, though I doubt they'd announce it on twitter.

Regarding a sequel...
There's only one possible way of it happening, but not bloody likely.

I finally got all my Classes maxed to Level 20 now. I'm probably going to rush through to the final Chapter at some point just so I can look at all the cutscenes at any point, including the final one.

just saw this at a bestbuy around here. Still a couple copies left...

Also saw a screenshot of the anime version. it looks like they will keep a little bit of the canvas look to it. Nice!

As soon as I finish up Persona 4 I'm jumping back into this game. I'm about halfway done with it and I want to finish it up before they start airing the anime.

Finally picked it back up again tonight. Finished chapter 8 and got my first B rating ever on a non skirmish on chapter 9 :D.

Also whats this strategy people are talking about in being able to beat the levels in one move with scouts?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Also whats this strategy people are talking about in being able to beat the levels in one move with scouts?[/quote]

Really not something you can do until your Scouts have learned all their potentials. Certain ones, coupled with appropriate use of Orders, allows Scouts to bob and weave through troops directly to the objective points.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Finally picked it back up again tonight. Finished chapter 8 and got my first B rating ever on a non skirmish on chapter 9 :D.

Also whats this strategy people are talking about in being able to beat the levels in one move with scouts?[/quote]

It has a lot to do with Orders and the amount of Movement you can do with the Scout.

Skirmish 6, for example...I use
Defense Boost, Evade Boost and Caution. What also helps on later battles is the Potential you learn at level 20 with Scouts, Double Movement. Get it with Unlock Potential, you always get it and can basically walse to victory, which also unlocks Resist Crossfire.
Provided you have enough CP, of course.

Awaken Potential + Alicia + Defense Boost (if you need it) = Base capping machine

This is what I've been using late game. You can nearly run her through any and all forms of crossfire straight to the flag. Mad h4x, that one.

I try to do stuff like that but my scouts always end up getting KO-ed by the games bs allowance of letting enemy tanks shoot constantly :/. I think I just unlocked Awaken Potential though so. Although I am only level 7, heh. I don't even know how to use potentials though so.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']sounds like Trophies are a'comin[/quote]

Sounds like I have more incentive to play this amazing game again!

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I try to do stuff like that but my scouts always end up getting KO-ed by the games bs allowance of letting enemy tanks shoot constantly :/. I think I just unlocked Awaken Potential though so. Although I am only level 7, heh. I don't even know how to use potentials though so.[/QUOTE]

Potentials proc relatively rarely under certain circumstances. Awaken Potential/Awaken All just greatly increases the frequency with which they do. Certain combinations of bonus and personal potentials that some scouts (e.g. Alicia, Aika) get are absurdly powerful when they activate constantly. Namely, these are Double Movement, Resist Crossfire and Mysterious Body/Runner's High. However, the most important of these (Double Movement) doesn't unlock until level 17 or so.

[quote name='Razzuel']Sounds like I have more incentive to play this amazing game again![/quote]

don't take my word for it... my source isn't that great. more chances of DLC than Trophies.

Just finished up Chapter 11. I got a B by using the mortar strike to take out dudes around the final flag and then used the Alicia base capping machine orders to finish up the round with a B. I may have to use this strat more often...
I totally did not expect Isara to die however. That came way out of left field.

[quote name='bigl523']Just finished up Chapter 11. I got a B by using the mortar strike to take out dudes around the final flag and then used the Alicia base capping machine orders to finish up the round with a B. I may have to use this strat more often...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that scene made me wonder if the militia had ever heard of establishing and securing a perimeter.

[quote name='bigl523']Just finished up Chapter 11. I got a B by using the mortar strike to take out dudes around the final flag and then used the Alicia base capping machine orders to finish up the round with a B. I may have to use this strat more often...
[/quote]

I just finished Chapter 11 too. I finished in 10 rounds and pulled an A rank. How many rounds did you run through?

I started the map with just Alicia and the tanks. I ran her up and took the first base, then called in three reinforcements. From there, I brought the Edelweiss in and parked it in the middle of the map on the cliffside. Alicia and the reinforcements took the next two bases and I brought in a few lancers to skirt the outside of the southwest building and one-shot the tanks before taking the base. That was certainly an entertaining level!

[quote name='KingBroly']It's possible to do that fight in 1 turn.[/quote]

How is that possible? One turn would mean running a scout from one side of the map to the other to take out the two or three enemies on the other side and grab the flag. I'm guessing there must be some order I have yet to receive that would help out?

Scout, unlock all abilities for Scout, then I forget the rest. I know you get Resist Crossfire and Double Movement with the Scout, but I think you need either Mortar Support or Attack All. It can only be done when your Scout is at level 20, though.

[quote name='thelonepig']I just finished Chapter 11 too. I finished in 10 rounds and pulled an A rank. How many rounds did you run through?

I started the map with just Alicia and the tanks. I ran her up and took the first base, then called in three reinforcements. From there, I brought the Edelweiss in and parked it in the middle of the map on the cliffside. Alicia and the reinforcements took the next two bases and I brought in a few lancers to skirt the outside of the southwest building and one-shot the tanks before taking the base. That was certainly an entertaining level![/quote]

I did it in three rounds. I suppose my B came because Alicia got sniped while she was waiting for me to finish off the guys at the last flag to occupy.

Welp, I finished it.

Things wrapped up nicely, although I wish we got more cutscenes showing what happened to the members of Squad 7. I like how loading up a new game using a cleared save adds to the Personnel page.

Also...
Alex in a new Skies of Arcadia, anyone? Well, maybe not.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Good things come in threes. 1-0-3-6-_

I'm so lost.[/quote]

If that last number is a 0, people are going to freak.

bread's done
Back