Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Created a separate thread but wanted to let people know my Sam's Club is selling the 32GB Deluxe or $220.71 on what I'm assuming is a YMMV Clearance.

Netflix started working on It's own. Thanks for the deleting user thingy tip, which I did before and apparently after 4 more trys Netflix finally started working.

Back to Wind Waker HD then sleep.

The only app I've had serious issues with is Hulu and I use netlfix and amazon as well. Maybe I should try deleting the save data...

Interesting list of games.

I'm thinking of trying New super Luigi Bros U instead of Mario is one better then other? I don't want to get both just one do they have similar stuff or is it completely changed?

Interesting list of games.

I'm thinking of trying New super Luigi Bros U instead of Mario is one better then other? I don't want to get both just one do they have similar stuff or is it completely changed?
NSMB:U is the "core" game, with typical 2D Mario platforming. It's very good, though personally I'm a bit burnt out on the NSMB series.

Luigi is more an "expansion" pack (and in fact can be purchased through the eshop for cheaper than retail as DLC for NSMB:U, though you need the NSMB:U disc inserted to play it). The levels are MUCH shorter, and to go along with that the time limit is shorter as well (99 seconds as opposed to, IIRC, 300 seconds). This encourages more of a speedrun type mentality, which coupled with the more difficult stage designs and Luigi's "slippery" handling makes for a surprisingly different experience from the typical Mario games. I personally enjoyed Luigi more than Mario, as the challenge was refreshing.

Note that Luigi uses the same overworld map as Mario, but the stages are all brand new, so it technically has the same number of levels but since they are all significantly shorter it's really closer to half the length of Mario's game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of downloading the luigi part of the game from wii shop but havent done it yet.  I am actually kind of bored with side scrolling marios

Sorry for the bad wording in that post.  I actually have new super mario bros wii u but have beat it.  I have been considering downloading the Luigi DLC for the game

That would be a good move then. I got through maybe two worlds in the main game before playing all the way through NSLU and I enjoyed it a lot more than the main game. It felt more like a game made to change up the NSMB formula, which seems to me to be more in the spirit of the original games than the NSMB series has been. I'd love to see them complete the SMB2 loop and do Peach and Toad-inspired expansions.

I've purchased enough eShop and Virtual Console games that I kind of need folders to help organize it onto just one screen like I have it set up on my 3DS.

I wonder if the WW bundles really helped sales? I'll be really interested in seeing how that turned out. Evidently people have disposable income because Apple just sold 9 million iPhones over the last weekend alone.

Even broke ass people on food stamps somehow get iphones. Consoles are another thing altogether.

Even broke ass people on food stamps somehow get iphones. Consoles are another thing altogether.
True. How they can afford those phones on top of pay $100/month bills. I love my $30 pay as you go phone. $200 gets me enough minutes to last me at least a year.

You are getting ahead of yourself..the Windwaker bundles were just released, they'll prob gauge their Black Friday decisions on how that bundle sells through.

Goodness, the Japanese (and Taiwanese) sure do love the Karaoke.

You are getting ahead of yourself..the Windwaker bundles were just released, they'll prob gauge their Black Friday decisions on how that bundle sells through.
Goodness, the Japanese (and Taiwanese) sure do love the Karaoke.
Black Friday is typically much better than anything you see during the year. It will be far better than the WW bundle or another $50 off.

Right. Retail 101 says if you're selling through your current bundle that you should add additional incentives to sell through that bundle. Wait, what?

Your last post said you'd "wager" we'd see a massive bundle like Japans on Black Friday. How about your wager includes that if you're wrong, you quit posting in the Wii forum?

Right. Retail 101 says if you're selling through your current bundle that you should add additional incentives to sell through that bundle. Wait, what?
Your last post said you'd "wager" we'd see a massive bundle like Japans on Black Friday. How about your wager includes that if you're wrong, you quit posting in the Wii forum?
And what do I get when I win the wager? And your side of the wager is what, you lose if there is a bundle with more than 1 game in it? ;)

one hand can't clap with itself people

I went and grabbed some clearance Nerf Armor last night and was pleasantly surprised that it fit over my Uboost without having to cut a section out.  Sure, my Game Pad looks ugly as sin, but at least it now has twice the battery life and protected corners.

And what do I get when I win the wager? And your side of the wager is what, you lose if there is a bundle with more than 1 game in it? ;)
If you win we have to listen to your insufferable bragging. Is that not enough? ;)

And I promise I won't ban you for it.

If you win we have to listen to your insufferable bragging. Is that not enough? ;)

And I promise I won't ban you for it.
Okay deal! If the Wii U is $280 or less OR has 2 or more games in it on Black Friday, I win! Otherwise....it's so sad I can't even think about it!

Okay deal! If the Wii U is $280 or less OR has 2 or more games in it on Black Friday, I win! Otherwise....it's so sad I can't even think about it!
Wait, I don't agree to those terms. Isn't that only $20 off what it is now? I fully expect some sort of $50 gift card deal (or equivalent) for BF so it would have to be more than that for you to win.

Black Friday is typically much better than anything you see during the year. It will be far better than the WW bundle or another $50 off.
Yeah, this isn't $280. It is $300 now with WW or NintendoLand. So for you to win it has to be less than $250 or $300 with 2 more additional games that are worth more than $20 (so ZombiU or any of the other launch titles except NSMB U don't count).

Yeah, this isn't $280. It is $300 now with WW or NintendoLand. So for you to win it has to be less than $250 or $300 with 2 more additional games that are worth more than $20 (so ZombiU or any of the other launch titles except NSMB U don't count).
I don't agree with it not including any launch titles. I'll go with, it includes at least 2 Nintendo titles or a $50 price cut (or gift card) OR some combination of a second game that's not worth much + a lesser discount/GC.

Frankly, I can easily see them giving a Mario and Luigi bundle with New Mario U and Luigi add-on. Many people consider Luigi a "differnt game" for some reason but I'm sure those same people wouldn't here because they want to be rid of me!

I don't agree with it not including any launch titles. I'll go with, it includes at least 2 Nintendo titles or a $50 price cut (or gift card) OR some combination of a second game that's not worth much + a lesser discount/GC.

Frankly, I can easily see them giving a Mario and Luigi bundle with New Mario U and Luigi add-on. Many people consider Luigi a "differnt game" for some reason but I'm sure those same people wouldn't here because they want to be rid of me!
That's not much of a prediction considering a New Super Mario Bros U / New Super Luigi U bundle advertisement has been over on NeoGAF for at least a couple of weeks. Europe only for now, but coming for North America in time for Black Friday wouldn't be much of a stretch.

That's not much of a prediction considering a New Super Mario Bros U / New Super Luigi U bundle advertisement has been over on NeoGAF for at least a couple of weeks. Europe only for now, but coming for North America in time for Black Friday wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Regardless, I don't go to that site, I came up with that without reading it elsewhere.

I still wouldn't consider $300 for NSMB U/Luigi bundle to beat any normal BF deal.  Swap Luigi and Nintendo Land (assuming it is a non-Nintendo Land bundle) and that means $300 + one game which doesn't cut it.

It has to be more than $50 off or 2+ full games (the + meaning there needs to be a replacement for Nintendo Land/WW).  In other words, it has to be $300 + a $20-$30 replacement for NintendoLand, and another two full $50-ish value games.  And like I said ZombiU and the like does not count.

For example, I'd say you win if they have a $300 Nintendo Land Deluxe bundle that also includes NSMB U and Pikmin 3 thrown in.  That would be a killer bundle deal that is more than most of us expect, but not out of the realm of possibility.

On the other hand, this is all rather pointless as no bundle save for something extreme like $200 + multiple games means Nintendo is in desperation mode (which is I think the point you are hoping to make come BF).  Hell, on BF two years ago I got a then-$300 retail 250 GB Xbox 360 with Halo Reach and Fable III (both $40-$50 games at the time) for just $200.  And no one was saying the 360 was dying then and needed a desperation bundle to stay afloat.  And yet there it was...

Dang. Now I feel bad, I let the anger get the best of me for a minute. You had a Wii U hate thread many moons ago Blaster man..I believe at one point it was even called " Blaster man poor troll confirmed by blaster man." But that thread died. DIED. No more interest.

Personally I enjoy seeing what bundles other countries may be getting, etc. And those posts are great. But you have to add in your analysis, "Desperate times call for desperate measures" etc. on every post you make about the Wii U. We don't care man, drop it already.

I still wouldn't consider $300 for NSMB U/Luigi bundle to beat any normal BF deal. Swap Luigi and Nintendo Land (assuming it is a non-Nintendo Land bundle) and that means $300 + one game which doesn't cut it.

It has to be more than $50 off or 2+ full games (the + meaning there needs to be a replacement for Nintendo Land/WW). In other words, it has to be $300 + a $20-$30 replacement for NintendoLand, and another two full $50-ish value games. And like I said ZombiU and the like does not count.

For example, I'd say you win if they have a $300 Nintendo Land Deluxe bundle that also includes NSMB U and Pikmin 3 thrown in. That would be a killer bundle deal that is more than most of us expect, but not out of the realm of possibility.

On the other hand, this is all rather pointless as no bundle save for something extreme like $200 + multiple games means Nintendo is in desperation mode (which is I think the point you are hoping to make come BF). Hell, on BF two years ago I got a then-$300 retail 250 GB Xbox 360 with Halo Reach and Fable III (both $40-$50 games at the time) for just $200. And no one was saying the 360 was dying then and needed a desperation bundle to stay afloat. And yet there it was...
This is getting too complicated. No bundle has Nintendoland in it and Wind Waker right now.

I agree that the 360 wasn't in desperation mode. The difference is that the price of the 360 was (and is) inflated well beyond the break even. When they had the bundle you're referring to, it was probably a profitable bundle at that time. The price had already been 299.99 for some time. How many years in a row have they had 199.99 black friday bundles at this point?

All I'm saying is that it is reasonable on Black Friday to expect either a $250 sale price on the current bundles (either via price cut or gift card offer), or another big game thrown in to the bundle (such as NSMB U or Pikmin 3).  Anything beyond that would a surprise to most of us.  But then you tried to say you'd "win" at $280 - no...

By the way, I've gotten much farther into Pikmin 3 and I am liking it even more.  I admit that after the first few days I kind of put it aside and moved on to other stuff.  But for whatever reason when I finally went back to it I was enjoying it much more.  Partly I think that is because after the first few days of play it opens up much more.  I should add that it is one of the prettiest games I've ever played.  So, yeah, Nintendo is doing just fine with that HD thing.

How come there is no "Wii U" friend list in this forum?  Is it that there aren't enough Wii U users?

I just picked up a WW LE bundle last week.

Scribblenauts Unmasked is both awesome yet somewhat broken. Still a big reccomend if you are a comic book fan though.

I've purchased enough eShop and Virtual Console games that I kind of need folders to help organize it onto just one screen like I have it set up on my 3DS.
I really wish they would implement some of the features from the 3DS interface for the Wii U.

I feel they took a step backwards by not including folders to organize content as well as the barebones game activity app. The game activity app on the 3DS is amazing and I wish I had something similar on all of my consoles. Raptr is OK for 360 and PS3 but doesn't compare to the convenience and organization of the 3DS app.

Cheaper and no tacked on mp? If it's a coherent port I might actually pick it up at some point:

Batman: Arkham Origins is cheaper on Wii U
As it should be
authorpoint.gif
5 hours ago - 10:00 PM on 09.27.2013

Reddit0Share7Tweet100Share17
No, there likely wouldn't have been a large multiplayer audience for Batman: Arkham Origins on Wii U if the performance of prior multiplatform games on the platform is any indication. Since WB Games has decided against including the component altogether, we'll never know for sure.

It's been suggested that given the comparatively lacking content, the Wii U port of Origins should be priced lower than its PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 counterparts -- this is happening, thankfully. Warner Bros. has confirmed the $49.99 price point with Kotaku and if you visit retailers like Amazon or GameStop, you'll see the change reflected.

That's something. Potentially even good news, if you'd rather save the ten bucks over having multiplayer. I would've rather that been a choice for consumers to make, however.

Multiplayer-Free Wii U Version of Batman: Arkham Origins Will Cost Less [Kotaku]

Heads up for GCU members: you can get the Turtle Beach N11 chat headset at Best Buy for $10 after coupon. Pretty sure the sale ends today so I'd get on it if you're interested.

Heads up for GCU members: you can get the Turtle Beach N11 chat headset at Best Buy for $10 after coupon. Pretty sure the sale ends today so I'd get on it if you're interested.
Thanks for this - I had the paper coupons but pretty much always ignore the headset ones. I didn't realize that was a 3DS/Wii U one and for $10 I just couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure how much we'll use the chat function, but if nothing else it looks to be a decent set of headphones. I also picked up a second white Pro Controller for $23.99 at Best Buy. It probably won't get much use until Kart/Smash Bros. but I figured I'd snag it while it was cheap (and they only had one left).

Totally anecdotal: while I was in Best Buy: an older couple asked for the Wii U Zelda bundle and was well aware it was a new console. When I say "older" keep in mind I'm 45... So these people were definitely in the demographic of casual Wii owners who bought one for Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit and haven't touched it in years. In fact, after they picked that up they went looking for Wii fitness games because they said so-and-so wasn't using theirs and they were going to take it. So, yeah, anyway, there is still a little of that "casual" market out there and at least one of them picked up a Wii U ;). (And more to my surprise, people actually still do fitness stuff on the original Wii).

I have been reading that the Wii U up-converts regular Wii games. How much better do they look on the Wii U?

A lot better, especially if you use HDMI over component. The only downside is that 4:3 native games get stretched to 16:9 and there's no option to change it...really sucks for retro compilations.

A lot better, especially if you use HDMI over component. The only downside is that 4:3 native games get stretched to 16:9 and there's no option to change it...really sucks for retro compilations.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you can change the Wii U display settings to 4:3 ahead of time, then go into Wii mode and you won't get the stretching.

Finally had time to apply the game pad screen protector and the hori gamepad case thingy..

this is the game pade protector I got

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-GamePad-Protector-Nintendo/dp/B009UONG26/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380480575&sr=8-2&keywords=wii+u+hori

I don't plan to let kids handle this so I'm not worried with dropping it.

I like the gamepad protecter so far.

Pros clear so if you gotten the zelda bundle you can see the artwork on it.

I think it'll protect the artwork from scratches from playing games or whatever.

Cons. Can't charge in cradle so gotta charge via ac adapter. Which I don't mind that myself.

Gotta say putting on screen protector on 3dsXL and wii u gamepad took me a lot of time.

I bought two 3dsXL and wiiu screen protectors just in case I screwed up. I'll probably keep them in case need to replace them for whatever reason.

Front

Back

Can't wait to set up the system to play some Zelda! :D

Looks like a Fortress, sheesh.

If Ubisoft wants to complain about poor Wii U sales, fine.  But they forget that the TV ad for Splinter Cell omitted the Wii U version.  The Watch_Dogs ad a few months ago did the same, and I'd be willing to bet it will when it and AC4 gets pushed this fall as well.  Kinda hard to sell something when people don't know it exists.

I mean, I'll buy Watch_Dogs on Wii U IF it's not complete shit like I expect it to be.  I'll buy Rayman when it drops in price because money, right now, is going towards other things.  I won't buy Assassin's Creed 4 because 3 sucked.  And Arkham Origins and COD: Ghosts will also be a 'better not be a shit port' category.

Yeah, the Ubisoft stance is absurd.  One not everyone likes all Ubi games.  I bought and loved Rayman on day one, but there were many who held off because of their boneheaded decision to not release 6 months ago.  Two, Ubisoft themselves have conditioned buyers to not buy their games until the price drops a few weeks later.  Three, as mentioned, advertising their shit might be beneficial. 

I'm down with Watch Dogs, but not on WiiU when there will be a true next gen version.  That's on Nintendo for staying a generation behind.

It's that whole ludicrous cycle Nintendo has been going through for awhile now, even with the Wii-3rd parties say their games sell poorly, but they release shit or don't promote it. Nintendo systems have pretty much been systems you buy Nintendo games on and not much else since the N64 days. Even the DS didn't see a ton of 3rd party support and neither does the 3DS now even though it's so huge in Japan it's outpacing the Wii there and it's the top selling console here. I think at this rate the only way Nintendo would get back in serious competition for home consoles is if somebody else bowed out. There are outside factors at both MS and Sony that are pushing for that, but it's a small chance of happening at best.

It's that whole ludicrous cycle Nintendo has been going through for awhile now, even with the Wii-3rd parties say their games sell poorly, but they release shit or don't promote it. Nintendo systems have pretty much been systems you buy Nintendo games on and not much else since the N64 days. Even the DS didn't see a ton of 3rd party support and neither does the 3DS now even though it's so huge in Japan it's outpacing the Wii there and it's the top selling console here. I think at this rate the only way Nintendo would get back in serious competition for home consoles is if somebody else bowed out. There are outside factors at both MS and Sony that are pushing for that, but it's a small chance of happening at best.
I think either Sony or Microsoft is going to bow out. Here are the simple scenarios:

Sony: Xbone outsells PS4, Sony goes bankrupt. Sony is heavily banking on PS4 to prop up a lot of their failing businesses right now, and if it can't, well...yeah.

Microsoft: Given the circumstances surrounding Ballmer leaving and a new CEO incoming, due to the Xbox not raking in the cash as Microsoft wants it to/thinks it should, the new CEO would be likely to drop the brand if it's lagging behind PS4 sales through next holiday. The same goes for Surface.

Out of those two scenarios, given the current market, I think the Microsoft one is more realistic since new CEO's love love LOVE to drop dead weight, and the 2 nooses around Microsoft's neck right now are Surface and Xbox.

However, I don't really know what this "Steam Machine" business is going to do. I don't really think it's going to take off to be honest. It's just a linux-based PC at a console price/power, which is sorta half the reason people get gaming PC's (TEH GRAPHX!). The other reason being a combination of backwards compatibility and mod support (i.e. customization). Considering the market Valve has right now, I see very few people moving from either the Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft camp to one of those machines to make it viable long-term. They'd go with a Windows-based PC, unless of course Valve goes 'fuck Windows, Steam is Linux/SOS exclusive now' which would be...interesting to watch.

I've mentioned this in the Xbox One thread but there's pressure from within MS to drop the Xbox division entirely because they'd rather MS just be a software & services company since the money they make off that is VASTLY superior to what they make off the entire division. And yeah, Sony needs to hit one out of the park, badly, and if their other divisions are still hemorrhaging money like they have been it stil may not be enough. As far as Steam goes, I really think it's sort of a solution to a problem no one really has and frankly Valve is a relatively small company I don't think they are going to play with the big boys. Nintendo is games and games only. And usually a a pretty tidy profit at that.

Erad not trying to call you out here but do you have any soucces on that? I'd like to read up on it, sounds like an interesting perspective. With Xbox leading console sales for 40 some months in a row or whatever it was in July 2013, I didn't know the Xbox division was in bad shape.

bread's done
Back