XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like either a ton of people crammed into beta sign up at once or it was really limited because it seems done now for sign ups.

Damn that was fast. :0

WdWom.png

[quote name='ooga']I hope the beta doesn't make my dashboard even slower than it is right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it'd be possible for it to get any slower. I went through four chat sessions with Xbox Support trying to remedy why it takes two minutes to launch my recently played games or upto four minutes to open Netflix. Prognosis: bad hard drive (it's not...and I won't get the 3+ hours back that I wasted troubleshooting corrupt files, open ports, etc.) I don't know if it's the ads being served, but I hope it's something they're aware of and addressing in this generation.

[quote name='fatboyjam']I'm not sure it'd be possible for it to get any slower. I went through four chat sessions with Xbox Support trying to remedy why it takes two minutes to launch my recently played games or upto four minutes to open Netflix. Prognosis: bad hard drive (it's not...and I won't get the 3+ hours back that I wasted troubleshooting corrupt files, open ports, etc.) I don't know if it's the ads being served, but I hope it's something they're aware of and addressing in this generation.[/QUOTE]

Nah its not its just he crappy new dashboard. I did that buy a pc get a free xbox slim and bought a new hard drive to go in it. Runs as slow as the last. Since its been so slow I have cut down on my use of xbox a lot and been moving over to other platforms and PCs. I have over 200 games on my account and it takes 20-30 seconds or longer sometimes to load them. I don't know why it can't cache them better and let me access them faster.

Just trying to squeeze too many bells and whistles into 6 year old hardware that was originally designed to run a much more minimalist interface.

Wow, beta closed down really quickly this time. My dash is so slow as it is it might be good for me to miss out on the beta this time around. For those of you who have a really slow dashboard, I believe it is partially due to your profile size. I deleted my profile and recovered it to my system and it sped things up considerably. It only takes a few minutes so it is worth a shot for those of you having trouble.

I predict Wreckateer will be a HUGE hit for Microsoft......but not for the reasons you're thinking.

Since I got Wreckateer a bit earlier than most people I had more time with it. Therefore I somehow became the #1 ranked player in the world on the FameStar boards. I really had no idea that I was #1 and by a wide margin at that until I got bombarded by a Poker players' friend requests. I guess most of them had no idea you can earn points in other games. Now many of them have developed a sudden interest in Wreckateer and Keflings. One of them is going to buy Kinect just to get points on Wreckateer. I guess the marketing geniuses at Microsoft were on to something there with the hokey idea behind FameStar.

Anyway, not sure what i'm going to do with my new found fame. All these messages and friend requests are starting to become a distraction. :)

[quote name='ooga']I predict Wreckateer will be a HUGE hit for Microsoft......but not for the reasons you're thinking.

Since I got Wreckateer a bit earlier than most people I had more time with it. Therefore I somehow became the #1 ranked player in the world on the FameStar boards. I really had no idea that I was #1 and by a wide margin at that until I got bombarded by a Poker players' friend requests. I guess most of them had no idea you can earn points in other games. Now many of them have developed a sudden interest in Wreckateer and Keflings. One of them is going to buy Kinect just to get points on Wreckateer. I guess the marketing geniuses at Microsoft were on to something there with the hokey idea behind FameStar.

Anyway, not sure what i'm going to do with my new found fame. All these messages and friend requests are starting to become a distraction. :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm up there too but I suck at later levels of Wreckateer so ehhh, not as high as you even with the time before release.

I think they just needed a new delivery system for rewards and a way to make them more like achievements, I really like it but I also bought a monkey for my avatar and made it my avatar pic so...yeah

[quote name='RiPPn']Sweet, new dashboard, wonder how many more ads they can fit on the screen on this next update!![/QUOTE]

Maybe we can get the games tab somewhere after the settings tab this time. I hate when games get in the way of all the cool videos and music and ads.

[quote name='louiedog']If you got into the dash beta you should now be able to request your key here: https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate/ProductKeys

You'll get it immediately. I assume this is just an app that sends them your console id numbers.[/QUOTE]

In the description, does it mean I can use it on three different xboxes? If so I'll be able to test both of my xboxes
Edit: I just installed it on my xbox and each gamertag is allowed to register 3 different xboxes

[quote name='dutch72']To the people who got Deadlight early, is it a pleasant surprise or is it over hyped ?[/QUOTE]
Plays like the original Prince of Persia.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Plays like the original Prince of Persia.[/QUOTE]

70% of people reading that think you mean sands of time. 100% of me feels old for assuming that.

[quote name='louiedog']70% of people reading that think you mean sands of time. 100% of me feels old for assuming that.[/QUOTE]

I assumed he was referring to the PC game I booted up through DOS. Now you've made me feel old. Thanks.

[quote name='gordojones88']The Deadlight dev team says some of their inspiration came from Another World (1991) and Flashback (1992).[/QUOTE]
I can totally see that

[quote name='dutch72']IGN posted their DeadLight review early then took it down, here it is

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsfhym_deadlight-review_videogames

Thanks to piratepwnsninja from Neogaf[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that. I am starting to get jaded on XBLA game reviews though, thanks a lot RollingSkull!

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Plays like the original Prince of Persia.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='louiedog']70% of people reading that think you mean sands of time. 100% of me feels old for assuming that.[/QUOTE]

I probably would have thought that if the original version wasn't on XBLA. And Jayson, when you say that it plays like the original Prince of Persia, I take that as a negative. Do you mean it in a negative way?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Jayson, when you say that it plays like the original Prince of Persia, I take that as a negative. Do you mean it in a negative way?[/QUOTE]
No, I mean it's a very precise and methodical puzzle platformer in a lot of ways and combat is survival combat at best.

When I think of the first Prince of Persia I think standing in the right spot to make certain jumps and grabs and avoiding enemies rather then trying to kill everything that I came across.

I've seen some people think it's like Shadow Complex but really it's the opposite, in Deadlight there's a set path in most of the game, it's up to you to navigate it without getting killed.

Seeing what inspired them that makes sense.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No, I mean it's a very precise and methodical puzzle platformer in a lot of ways and combat is survival combat at best.

When I think of the first Prince of Persia I think standing in the right spot to make certain jumps and grabs and avoiding enemies rather then trying to kill everything that I came across.

I've seen some people think it's like Shadow Complex but really it's the opposite, in Deadlight there's a set path in most of the game, it's up to you to navigate it without getting killed.

Seeing what inspired them that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. :)

[quote name='gordojones88']The Deadlight dev team says some of their inspiration came from Another World (1991) and Flashback (1992).[/QUOTE]

ok this makes me want Deadlight. when is it being released?

[quote name='tylerh1701']That was for a beta about new secruity features they were putting on discs. I don't think dashboard betas have ever had rewards, but I may be mistaken.[/QUOTE]THAT'S the 4th beta I was thinking of. Wasn't a dashboard one, which is why I couldn't remember. But yeah, from the past, I think just once, people got an avatar award, which was that flaming Halo helmet. I think there might've been an avatar shirt for the beta involving avatars being introduced, but I didn't have a 360 until a month or two before the beta involving the dashboard before the current one.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Wow, beta closed down really quickly this time. My dash is so slow as it is it might be good for me to miss out on the beta this time around. For those of you who have a really slow dashboard, I believe it is partially due to your profile size. I deleted my profile and recovered it to my system and it sped things up considerably. It only takes a few minutes so it is worth a shot for those of you having trouble.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for posting this.
It is still pretty slow but it is a noticeable difference. It did make things a bit quicker.
I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it but as soon it recovered my profile I restarted the console and went to 'My Games.'
Everything loaded right up.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Thanks a lot for posting this.
It is still pretty slow but it is a noticeable difference. It did make things a bit quicker.
I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it but as soon it recovered my profile I restarted the console and went to 'My Games.'
Everything loaded right up.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaaa? I thought the Dasboard update wont be ready for a couple of days. All I did tonight was download the app that lets MS identify my console.

[quote name='ooga']Whaaaaa? I thought the Dasboard update wont be ready for a couple of days. All I did tonight was download the app that lets MS identify my console.[/QUOTE]

No, I did what he suggested and deleted/recovered my profile. I didn't even know there was a beta or sign up or anything.
My dash was slow and I tried it and things are loading a bit quicker. Could be placebo effect but I don't think so.

[quote name='WonkyToad']I'm not near my 360 right now. Was there a GoD DOTD today?[/QUOTE]

Nope its still showing MX vs ATV: Alive from Tuesday. Which is I guess the game that shouldve been discounted since MX Vs ATV Reflex was never advertised. I wish MS would be more consistent with this, either they do it or they dont. At least say deals will only be on certain days. As I recall last week it was the same way 1 new title everyday, then all of a sudden no change. Im just glad Spylon has his site, I check it daily so I know whats on sale.

Hmmm, guess I'd better get off my @$$ and commit to 800pts of superhero content so I can get my Rewards bonus. I'm guessing most people went with Pinball FX2 tables?

Wow tomb raider underworld dlc will be on sale. I never thought I'd see the day. I'm in for both even though my game has been sitting on the shelf sealed for years.

I'm thinking of getting the guardian of light dlc also. Is it worth it?

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Wow tomb raider underworld dlc will be on sale. I never thought I'd see the day. I'm in for both even though my game has been sitting on the shelf sealed for years. I'm thinking of getting the guardian of light DLC also. Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]
Depends if you're a previous fan of "Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver", but "Raziel & Kain" is the best of the 3, since it's more like an episode than 4 challenge maps apiece for the other 2. But if you have the XBLA game already, why would you hold back on breathing new life into it?

BTW refreshed the OP for these 5 DLC items ... and I've GOT to find a BBcode editor!!!

Played Gears 3 for a bit, exited to dashboard and my game library with 200 games loaded right away! Is just me or the new dash is much faster?0_0

edit: Yep, it seems like. Few quotes from neogaf:

''111 items in my games list, takes about a second to load now, vs the 20-25 seconds it took before.''

''I have 106 games in library and it takes less than 1 second to load.
Loading the menu for a game from the library takes a little bit longer (2-3 seconds).
Overall dashboard is much faster after the update.''

Job well done MS! Finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ooga']I bet that they include it in the challenge today. Wreckateer is a given.[/QUOTE]

They included it in the challenge 3 weeks ago, which makes me think it won't be included again this week.

I think Wreckateer is a given too, meaning I'm out.

[quote name='Sath666']Played Gears 3 for a bit, exited to dashboard and my game library with 200 games loaded right away! Is just me or the new dash is much faster?0_0

edit: Yep, it seems like. Few quotes from neogaf:

''111 items in my games list, takes about a second to load now, vs the 20-25 seconds it took before.''

''I have 106 games in library and it takes less than 1 second to load.
Loading the menu for a game from the library takes a little bit longer (2-3 seconds).
Overall dashboard is much faster after the update.''

Job well done MS! Finally.[/QUOTE]

That's really good to hear.

[quote name='ooga']Whaaaaa? I thought the Dasboard update wont be ready for a couple of days. All I did tonight was download the app that lets MS identify my console.[/QUOTE]

? All I ever did was register. There was a "now that you've registered, do these things" page but as far as I recall I met all that criteria. Hm.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']? All I ever did was register. There was a "now that you've registered, do these things" page but as far as I recall I met all that criteria. Hm.[/QUOTE]

Check your email and download the app then.

Anybody able to access the live update forum? The link is dead on the instruction page. I do like the new dash. Is is ok to discuss that here per microsoft's agreement we signed to test it?

[quote name='irafreak']Anybody able to access the live update forum? The link is dead on the instruction page. I do like the new dash. Is is ok to discuss that here per microsoft's agreement we signed to test it?[/QUOTE]

1. I can't get in, either.
2. No.

[quote name='irafreak']Anybody able to access the live update forum? The link is dead on the instruction page. I do like the new dash. Is is ok to discuss that here per microsoft's agreement we signed to test it?[/QUOTE]

Not allowed.

Just did the update and it looks nice. Really big blocks. ALso used IE for the first time and its not bad. (For all you "lonely guys" you can go on you know what now" ;)....;)...

I have a computer for that royal. :)
I guess we take a faster loading dash with bigger ads and without that stupid big bubble at the bottom. Good with the bad I suppose?

[quote name='GUNNM']I have a computer for that royal. :)
I guess we take a faster loading dash with bigger ads and without that stupid big bubble at the bottom. Good with the bad I suppose?[/QUOTE]

:lol: yeah I suppose. Hey maybe some wanted it on a big hd screen?

Makes EVERYTHING better ;).....:D......

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back