XBLA - Castle Crashers - 1200pts - Necromatic DLC 160pts 8/26

I won't be buying it if it's 1,800 points. I'd love to, but I just spent $30 last night buying myself a copy of GTA IV (I have a copy here, mind you, but it's my brothers, and he'll be moving out soon - so I needed my own).

So now, I'm broke. I will still gladly spend my last $10.00 on Bionic Commando, but don't have $25 more to spare for this.

if it ends up that price, I'll forget it completly or at least wait till there is a sweet deal on point cards (like the $5 point cards at Target).

$10 would've been a steal. $15 would've been perfect. At $20, I'm waiting for reviews on the online component. I know that the offline game will be fantastic, but if online isn't up to snuff, $20 may be too much.

Then again, none of us know the full depth of the game. 20+ characters and the world map doesn't look small from what I saw at comicCon. However, if there isn't anything past the 4 princesses, we might not be looking into as deep of a game as we think.

Time to wait for the review game.

You guys really think they're going to release a game at 1800 points?

It's never been done before.

I'm almost positive it was a typo and was supposed to be 800 points.

That makes way more sense.

Yes, I think it's 1800 points.

This game has been in development for 3 years at least. That gives me two assumptions about it:

1- It has a lot more content than most xbla games

2- They have an awful lot of cost to recoup

Oh and the hype/tracking for this game has been phenomenal, and things usually come out more expensive when that happens (see wii).

It's very NOT likely that it will be 800 points. The game has been in development for far too long to be only 800 points of content.

1200/1600 is the most likely price point, it's possible that Japan has a different point cost to make up for the difference in conversion to dollar value. I do believe Braid will be 800/1200 since it will be a PC game as well. Because Castle Crashers is XBLA, it may be 1200/1600.

And yes, 1800 is unprecendented and unlikely since reaching that point amount is too strange and out of the way for consumers.

[quote name='ddrpower']It's very NOT likely that it will be 800 points. The game has been in development for far too long to be only 800 points of content.

1200/1600 is the most likely price point, it's possible that Japan has a different point cost to make up for the difference in conversion to dollar value. I do believe Braid will be 800/1200 since it will be a PC game as well. Because Castle Crashers is XBLA, it may be 1200/1600.

And yes, 1800 is unprecendented and unlikely since reaching that point amount is too strange and out of the way for consumers.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Anyone who actually thought it would be 1800...

They've already confirmed 1800 is false. However, they mentioned nothing as to the pricing of Braid. Alien Hominid was 800 and that was just a port really. I don't know how long Castle Crashers has been in development for, but it can't be 1600 point worthy. People complained about the Penny Arcade game being 1600 points, and it was mainly bought by Penny Arcade hardcore fans. These people don't have this kind of fanbase that would shell out 1600 points for it.

I'll probably get it no matter what the cost tbh. I have been waiting for it for so long.

Braid I think I will only pay 800 pts unless it lasts longer than I expect.

People complained about Penny arcade being $20, but it still sold in the top three most sold ever if I remember the numbers correctly. Castle Crashers has actual multiplayer and a wide variety of bosses/characters, so the main kicker between $15 and $20 is whether or not online is stable, at least for me. I'll probably still buy it at $20, but reluctantly.

[quote name='Halo05']1200 points or less. Any more and I'd rather just buy a used 360 game from EB.[/QUOTE]

agreed. i'll definitely buy it at 800 points, probably at 1200, definitely not at anything more.

[quote name='lilboo']Hmmm.
800 for Braid = Win.
UP to 1200 for Castle Crashers = fair[/quote]

That is pretty much my opinion on the matter. I expected Castle Crashers to be priced more than 800 points. Now, as of now, I have little issue coughing up 1200 points, as there is a lot of neat content within the game (i.e., animal orbs, various weapons). Braid, on the other hand, has an interesting mechanic, but I can see it becoming a bit repetitious, especially if one gets more annoyed at the price they paid whilst playing.

[quote name='lilboo']Hmmm.
800 for Braid = Win.
UP to 1200 for Castle Crashers = fair[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

800 for Braid = pass
UP to 1200 for Castle Crasher = shut up you know you'd buy it for more

A single player game, with limited levels I might add, has much less value then a 4 player co-op game with so many unlockables.

If it's 800-1200, I'll definitely buy it. I'm not spending over 1200 points on a arcade game, even if it's castle crashers.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it will depend on the length of the game, the PA game seemed expensive because it was widely reported that it was only about 5 hours long (mind you it's not like Gears is that much longer).

If Castle Crashers was a decent length and of sufficent quality I might well pay 1800 points for it.

This is a worrying trend though IMO, you can see what MS has done by now making 800 points the "baseline" value for XBLA instead of 400.

I was playing Geometry Wars 2 last night and while I did enjoy it I thought it was a 400 point game, not an 800 one, but 400 point games don't seem to exist anymore.

I think, for me, it all comes down to being a Gold Member and getting nothing in return. Yeah we get matchmaking, but other than that...nothing. It would be nice to get a free game or two each year...or better yet, some points to buy a game. I know this is a bit off-topic but i'm growing tired of 800 points games that aren't worth 800 points (but aren't so bad that they don't warrant 400 points).

I was looking forward to this game but I can't see paying more than 800 (maybe 1200) points for an arcade game. If they want $20 or more why not just stick it on a disk and sell it at gamestop?

[quote name='DJSteel']cause then it will be 34-40 bucks..[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why they couldn't do a $20 - $25 retail package. I don't mind digital content but with the 360 as unreliable as it is I don't like paying more than $10 for a digital distribution game.

[quote name='benjamouth']For me it will depend on the length of the game, the PA game seemed expensive because it was widely reported that it was only about 5 hours long (mind you it's not like Gears is that much longer).

If Castle Crashers was a decent length and of sufficent quality I might well pay 1800 points for it.

This is a worrying trend though IMO, you can see what MS has done by now making 800 points the "baseline" value for XBLA instead of 400.

I was playing Geometry Wars 2 last night and while I did enjoy it I thought it was a 400 point game, not an 800 one, but 400 point games don't seem to exist anymore.[/quote]

What....you really think Geometry Wars 2 is a 5 dollar game?
Geometry wars 1 is basically just a demo of 2 and that is 5 bucks, and is/was a good deal. I completely disagree with people complaining about Geometry Wars 2 being too expensive.

As for Castle Crashers I will probably pay up to 1600 points for it. Most downloadable pc games are 20 bucks.

[quote name='spoo']I don't understand why they couldn't do a $20 - $25 retail package. I don't mind digital content but with the 360 as unreliable as it is I don't like paying more than $10 for a digital distribution game.[/quote]

Because Shelf space, Manual Printing, Case Printing, making the disk and all... all of this cost money for the publisher. And the cost doesn't just disappear for them, they make it back by charging extra money overall.

Or perhaps they would try their best not to raise the price too much. They'd have to do things like extremely limited print runs, cheaper-than-usual packaging, "Gamestop Exclusives"... However, all of this would limit their market a ton.

Anywho, I have to ask, everyone keeps talking about prices being too much for arcade games... Now, I love the cheap prices of arcade games, they make getting these things MUCH more easy. However, if an arcade game has as much content and development behind it as full 60 dollar games... why does anyone expect even those to cost 10 dollars?

XBLA games are simply getting more expensive because we're getting MUCH bigger games with much more elaborate production values, now. The only other games we got with the same amount of production cost previously, where ones that where already multiple years old. Of course they where cheap, they'd made back their initial production cost by then.

But brand new games with "console" depth? Games with polish, re-playability, variety in gameplay, well-designed stages? I don't mind paying more if it leads to an increase in quality.

Really, how many 400 point games had more than 1 graphic set for stages an enemies? How many had decent graphic effects, good soundtracks, detailed artwork?

Personally, I think 400 point games are out, and they will be replaced by inexpensive Community games this fall. Now that XBLA has matured, I'd rather see things like "SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1" being released over the arcade, for, say, 20 dollars, but collecting all 10-15 roms together, just like they do on disk, but with some degree of online play added for the games that need it. I bet the first company that pulls off such a thing online will break sales records...

It's all about perception and if i can buy a 360 game for $20 (been out for a few months, but still new) and then i expect an arcade game to be $10. The $20 game can later be traded...whereas arcade games can't. Hence the problem with digital distribution.

[quote name='SynGamer']It's all about perception and if i can buy a 360 game for $20 (been out for a few months, but still new) and then i expect an arcade game to be $10. The $20 game can later be traded...whereas arcade games can't. Hence the problem with digital distribution.[/quote]

Half the games you buy for that cheap don't even really trade for a good value anywho, months later, though. I understand from the perspective of "I can't let my friend borrow these!", but that's always been my biggest concern with them. (Which is a non-issue for me anywho... more than enough physical games to swap back and forth!)

I very rarely trade anything... is the few dollars one gets through trading (minus special stuff like the Gamestop trade in credit promo), really that big of a deal? Most TIV seem to barely give you back the tax money you spent on the game (Not to mention gas and time spent going to the store...)

I dunno, I'm just much more concerned about getting High Quality games, rather than the possible 5 or 10 dollars more, as long as the cost is justifiable (I.E the game is worth it).

Nono, you misunderstood me. My $10 is going towards a game that i can ONLY play on MY 360. I can't take it over to a friends house (easily) nor can i trade it. Heck, at the end of the day i feel as if i'm out however much i paid for an arcade game because i have no physical item to show for my purchase.

I hope Microsoft doesn't read this thread. I don't want them seeing how many complacent gamers would play 1200 points for this. :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Nono, you misunderstood me. My $10 is going towards a game that i can ONLY play on MY 360. I can't take it over to a friends house (easily) nor can i trade it. Heck, at the end of the day i feel as if i'm out however much i paid for an arcade game because i have no physical item to show for my purchase.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately (Or fortunately - depending on your job), you pretty much made the case for why developers and publishers love digital distribution, and why it's here to stay.

I'll make a prediction: the next generation of consoles will likely embrace DD much much further, to the point of making it a "pain" if you want to buy your game any other way other than download it.

Yes, we know you can't trade it (few people really get into that though, for reasons stated in this thread) but it's MUCH less expensive to put a game out for download than a store shelf. This is why it's heaven sent for small developers. The amount of money that goes into publishing discs, cases, materials, distribution and paying off big name stores for good shelf representation is mind boggling expensive. Let's not forget how much money is deemed lost through trading and renting. With DD, almost all of that is kaput. Higher profit margins, more sales, less piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Foo228']It'll be 800pts.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/894/894221p1.html[/quote]
Um...how is that confirmation? It says "...if history is any indication, will carry an 800 Microsoft Point price tag." No where does it say CC will be 800 points, and considering how much MS likes to rip us off, i unfortunately don't think it is going to come out at 800 points, but i'd love to be proven wrong.

With Braid being confirmed at 1200 points, it isn't looking good for Castle Crashers...best case CC will be 1200 points and that's still too high for me.

[quote name='SynGamer']But still $5 more than i'm willing to pay.[/QUOTE]

But, it could have $12.50 more than you're willin' to pay! :)

bread's done
Back