Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Spencer confirmed on Major's podcast today that Titanfall will be playable at GC. He also all but confirmed a new exclusive would be unveiled. Can't wait to see what it is!

I'm surprised to hear that they announced that Xbox One won't require your Kinect to be always on. I actually think this decision might hurt pre-order numbers, since a lot of fence-sitters may now wait for a cheaper Xbox One without the Kinect attachment, which is reasonable to think one will be coming within the next year.

Similar to what htz said, I think a price drop could be coming. Since the Kinect is no longer 100% required, why bother including it? I'd say drop the price to $399 now and make the Kinect an optional accessory. Just my thoughts on the latest revelation.
Not sure how people are coming to this conclusion. Changing the "plugged in" requirement, was to address issues people had with 1) privacy and 2) concerns on the xbox one stopping if your kinect broke.

Thats a step forward but completely removing the kinect is a step backwards.

htz said they could drop the price WITH kinect still included, which I hope they do. Even if they just drop it to $450 with kinect, thats huge.

"Kinect requirement

Change: The Kinect is no longer required to be plugged in at all times.

Effect: The Kinect is no longer required to be plugged in at all times.

Vision: This changes nothing about our original vision, and that is to guarantee to game developers 100% adoption rate of the Kinect. Every Xbox One will come with a Kinect. If game developers implement Kinect features in their games, everyone who has an Xbox One will be able to experience it. Every Kinect feature you have heard about will not go away. We already allow the Kinect to be completely turned off and no one will stop you from turning the Kinect around to face a wall or wrapped up in an audio dampening box. Apparently, this wasn't good enough for some people, so now you don't have to have it plugged in. If your Kinect ever breaks, your console will still work while you get a replacement. This is a good change."

Last edited by a moderator:
^Interesting.  I'm not sure where your quote came from, but I haven't read that before.  Mostly I just got my information from websites reporting the story and then implying that a non-Kinect bundle could be released in the future.

I'm not really a fan of Kinect 1.0, but I do know that for Kinect 2.0 to have any chance of success, I think the adoption rate has to be 100%.  So in regards to innovation, including a Kinect with all Xbox Ones is a good thing.

Not sure how big a hit Microsoft would take but dropping the price to $399.99 for the same bundle with Kinect will definitely change the game. Those who already pre-ordered will still get the same bundle and save $100(Maybe spend it on extra accessories, warranty, or games). It will also remove all negative talking points about the Xbox One and make it on equal footing as the PS4. Allowing Microsoft to head into launch focused on games and services. Retailers also don't have to worry about losing some pre-orders and messing with logistics in this situation. It will also make for some nice publicity during gamescom.

Edit:

It also looks like Microsoft is giving away an Xbox One every hour at Gamescom(Only for those who attend). Gamescom should be very interesting next week. :D

I don't think MS will release a Kinectless Xbox One right away. There'd be a lot of confusion and cancelled preorders etc. Now the Kinect is the only thing that really differentiates the next gen consoles.

Having said that, I also think it won't sell as well as they'd like and that they will sell a Kinect free version next year. They're pretty much between a rock and a hard place right now. They put themselves there, but what they really need now imo is a killer Kinect app/game to get more people on board with that. Like I said if they can't do that, I think we'll see a Kinect free version soon, but not this year unless they're really desperate (which is also possible).

The move away from a purely digital system wasn't contingent on console hardware, but on on-line infrastructure. High-speed internet is not ubiquitous enough to make such a system viable. Once again, you have to follow the money for this big of an investment. This is the whole reason Microsoft has been backpedaling so hard on the XBox One. Their investors are concerned about the potential revenue they would be losing by sticking to their original plan.
This was my main issue with the DRM restrictions from the get go. If Microsoft was going to hitch its ride to a digital model, it better be sure about the precedent it was setting for the console environment. A public company making such a huge investment has to go where the money is going to be. Unfortunately, that idea was grounded in a business model that just wasn't ready to be supported yet.

As a gamer, I'm still going to make the jump to next gen sooner than later but the jump hasn't been impressive to me. It feels like the biggest jump was when the current gen systems came out although I'd argue that was highly influenced by the HDTV boom.

Honestly, every console has pretty much just been a more powerful system upgrade, lol.

What huge changes were made between NES and SNES besides better graphics which allowed different type of game play?

Same thing from SNES to PS1/N64. The biggest change there was adding memory cards and starting to go to cd.

PS1/N64 to PS2/GC/Xbox? Again, mostly graphics. This is when having multimedia started to be added. DVD player hard drive and internet.

PS2/GC/Xbox to PS3/Wii/360? Better graphics again! Nintendo actually did try to change the way we game with motion controls and Sony and Microsoft tried to add it as well but most people didn't want it.

And here we are again, going to a new generation and the biggest change? Graphics and adding more sharing features as far as making and uploading videos.

Really, looking back, its always been graphics/better hard where every new generation. Nintendo tries to actually do something different but people laugh at it. Sega did a lot with Dreamcast and look how that turned out?
Someone broke it down well with a polygon count demo showing the difference between the jumps in consoles. Basically the difference between 32 to 64 and onward. Its just diminishing returns on the higher the polygon count. Given the smaller returns in polygon count, I think this next gen will focus more on auxiliary video quantities (AA, depth etc)

Also I think it will have a massive push on frame rates. I think Ghosts already is boasting of a constant 60 FPS. I think 40 will be the absolute low point unlike this gen when some games hit 20.

Likewise it will push for a more dedicated processing to reduce input/output lag. If you noticed on the controller video. The tech/designer specifically makes it a point to say the controller being more responsive.

Lastly I think the new gens will push alternative options within the game. Like larger load outs for FPSs. Like more people in matches for games like CoD/BF4, more guns/difference in guns etc. It allows devs to specialize more without worrying about RAM/Processor caps.

More than the 'polygon count' what I'm looking forward to is improved AI and more fleshed out worlds.  I cant remember where I read/heard it, but developers have said that the current gen RAM caps limited how much stuff they could do at any one time. Like they could have realistic physics and AI subroutines, but then they'd have to place those in tightly enclosed areas. Alternately, they could craft beautiful and expansive vistas, but then the NPCs would have to have canned repetitive reactions. So the upgraded hardware should allow developers more flexibility to improve the software.  That's what I care about far more than the 'services' of the consoles. 

^Interesting. I'm not sure where your quote came from, but I haven't read that before. Mostly I just got my information from websites reporting the story and then implying that a non-Kinect bundle could be released in the future.

I'm not really a fan of Kinect 1.0, but I do know that for Kinect 2.0 to have any chance of success, I think the adoption rate has to be 100%. So in regards to innovation, including a Kinect with all Xbox Ones is a good thing.
I don't think it's going to hurt them that much. Even if they lose some pre-orders, they are still going to have trouble keeping up with demand. They're going to sell out at launch, so the logical time to sell a Kinect-less Xbox One is when they slow down in Summer 2014. Then they'll have to decide if they want to release one then or just wait for 2015 since they may be able to anticipate similar supply problems during the 2014 Holiday Season.

I think it's going to happen eventually, but it wouldn't make any sense for them to release an Xbox One without a Kinect in 2013.

It looks like Xbox One will have the NFL Ticket this year, grabbing it out of the hands of Playstation.

For the past two years, PlayStation 3 owners have been able to buy the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket app and watch any NFL game that's not airing in their area. This year? Not so much.

PlayStation has confirmed to IGN that NFL Sunday Ticket will not return to the PS3 this season. A PlayStation representative did not elaborate as to why the app won't be returning, but Microsoft did make a point of touting its partnership with the NFL for the Xbox One back in May.

Not a huge deal for everyone, but with the growth of the league, could be big in the next few years.

If MS announces a new Mech Assault for launch I'll buy day one. Really curious what the exclusive will be and if it is going to be a launch title. I don't get all the new Kinect hype from MS and as far as I know no one at any of the events has had any hands on time with it using it in a game. If it is so good why aren't we seeing stories on the gaming blogs about it? Maybe I just missed those stories, but I doubt it.

i know it's a slim chance but with all this changing going on what to say ms has not done all this since may to have their system in the news almost ever day.

If MS announces a new Mech Assault for launch I'll buy day one. Really curious what the exclusive will be and if it is going to be a launch title. I don't get all the new Kinect hype from MS and as far as I know no one at any of the events has had any hands on time with it using it in a game. If it is so good why aren't we seeing stories on the gaming blogs about it? Maybe I just missed those stories, but I doubt it.
IGN had an article about the kinect : (edited, wrong link)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/ive-seen-a-real-xbox-one-kinect-game-in-action-and

Also while I understand people not being interested in the kinect or switch features and always connected stuff I think it's crazy how many people feel like it is Microsoft responsibility to cater to them rather than just say, "that's not for me". I'm not pointing to anyone is this thread, just people I talk to face-to-face.

Spencer confirmed on Major's podcast today that Titanfall will be playable at GC. He also all but confirmed a new exclusive would be unveiled. Can't wait to see what it is!
FUSION FRENZY 3!!!

tumblr_mo72gh2X571qfodnoo1_400.gif

The X1 can self regulate if it begins to overheat.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/08/xbox-one-can-self-regulate-its-power-when-it-begins-to-overheat/

Also while I understand people not being interested in the kinect or switch features and always connected stuff I think it's crazy how many people feel like it is Microsoft responsibility to cater to them rather than just say, "that's not for me". I'm not pointing to anyone is this thread, just people I talk to face-to-face.
Agreed. It's just not for me and I won't buy one.

That said, I would like to see Kinect games not sell well and people not using optional Kinect features in regular games etc. as I don't want to see motion controls gain more footing or become the norm. I was worried with the success of the Wii that all consoles would end up with packed in motion controls this gen. So I'd like to see sales lag and a Kinect-less bundle eventually come out for that reason, even though it's highly unlikely I'd buy one as I just don't need a 2nd console anymore.

As for people not saying that it's not for them, there are plenty of people who love Halo, Gears, Forza etc. and thus, can't as easily just switch over to Sony, but have no interest in Kinect and hate having to pay $100 more than PS4 because of it. So I can get why some are more pissed and can't just say it's not for them as easily.

I think I saw on GAF that MS already denied the delay.

Would be suicide to delay and miss the holiday season and give Sony a head start.  Especially when preorder numbers seem to show Sony will start with at least a small lead anyway be it due to having more units available or more demand or both.

Its just a rumor and i really doubt its true but that would be pretty bad if it is.
Honestly, I'm not so certain that a delay on the XBox One would be a negative development.

With all of the massive changes to their policies that Microsoft has been making, it seems to me that their new system could use a little more time in the oven. And if the market is any indication, MIcrosoft probably shouldn't be quite so eager to jump the gun on releasing their latest hardware. It's entirely possible that all they would get from a launch this early is a years worth of disappointing sales. Blue-balling the game enthusiast community for another six months to a year might actually be the better strategy at this point.

No delay, at least in the US.
Just dropping the number of countries for the November launch to 13 from the orginally planned 21.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available. To do that, and in order to [/size]meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.[

We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014.[/size]
Mostly just writing off the Asian market I guess. Which makes sense since the Xbox and 360 barely sold over there. Will mean lesser Japanese developer support, but MS doesn't care about that since their core market of Halo/Gears/CoD/Forza/Sports games type gamers don't care much about many Japanese games anyway beyond the big stuff like MGS that goes multiplatform anyway.

and for the countries that are getting delayed, they're including a free game if you preordered a day one console before today.

Won't really affect that that much then since NA is really their main market.
Very true. The U.S. remains the seat of power for the XBox brand. It has the best chance of racking up solid sales numbers in the states.

Which is a little bit odd given the digital push behind the system. The U.S. might like the XBox brand, but the high-speed infrastructure here is actually quite lacking. It's a natural consequence of having so much wide open space between major population centers.

I'm actually starting to get excited about these launches. I look forward to see what is shown at Gamescom next week.

"I would like to see Kinect games not sell well and people not using optional Kinect features in regular games etc. as I don't want to see motion controls gain more footing or become the norm."

I can't believe I actually read this on a video game forum.  Aren't we supposed to be more forward-looking than most people?  Weren't games themselves the "radical new thing" that a lot of people used to not like before finally picking it up and saying "Hey, this isn't so bad"?

Talk about anti-progress.  "I want it to fail because I don't personally like it."  Well, hooray for you!  Guess that means if someone came out with a holodeck tomorrow, you would have to take a pass on enjoying it, because it wouldn't stick to the "tradition" of sitting on your ass and using fingers and thumbs to control the game.

I've been gaming since Pong.  I've been a console owner since Intellivision.  I have fought the good fight to make gaming more of a part of the entertainment industry, with my actions, words, and wallet, for the better part of four decades now.  But I have to say, with all of the crap that's come spewing forth from the "gaming community" after the XBO announcement, it's an embarrassment to be associated with it at times.  Go from being the cutting edge of entertainment to a bunch of curmudgeons who hate on things simply to hate on it....great, now we're like every other hobby, I guess. 

Very true. The U.S. remains the seat of power for the XBox brand. It has the best chance of racking up solid sales numbers in the states.

Which is a little bit odd given the digital push behind the system. The U.S. might like the XBox brand, but the high-speed infrastructure here is actually quite lacking. It's a natural consequence of having so much wide open space between major population centers.

I'm actually starting to get excited about these launches. I look forward to see what is shown at Gamescom next week.
Sorry, but the vast majority of the US is fully capable of connecting to the internet for one minute a day to perform a check-in. That's all that was required.

The absolute hilarity of seeing the same people come onto the internet, day after day after day, to complain about a device that required connecting to the internet....I just have no words. You can't buy better comedy.

But I have to say, with all of the crap that's come spewing forth from the "gaming community" after the XBO announcement, it's an embarrassment to be associated with it at times. Go from being the cutting edge of entertainment to a bunch of curmudgeons who hate on things simply to hate on it....great, now we're like every other hobby, I guess.
I have to agree with this sentiment. As critical as I've been about the XBox One, I've never claimed that I didn't want it to happen, or wished that it would fail. If anything, most of the concerns I've voiced have been motivated by my desire to see the XBox One perform better.

While I don't believe that the Kinect is going to be the end-all-be all interface, I am just fine with it existing. I even went to the trouble and expense of acquiring one, which I currently have hooked up to my 360. The Dance Central series is great, and well worth owning. I have no objection to the XBox One featuring the Kinect more strongly, especially since a more traditional controller will also be included. (and from all previews, sounds like it will be even better than the 360 controller)

No product is above valid criticism. At the same time, no video game console deserves the kind of vitriol some fans have been spraying around.

Lets all calm down a bit and try to be rational about this subject.

Sorry, but the vast majority of the US is fully capable of connecting to the internet for one minute a day to perform a check-in. That's all that was required.

The absolute hilarity of seeing the same people come onto the internet, day after day after day, to complain about a device that required connecting to the internet....I just have no words. You can't buy better comedy.
One of the biggest selling points for an all-digital system is the ability to purchase games digitally, as opposed to relying on retail stores for sales. It's the real draw of a system like Steam, and can be leveraged as an advantage for publishers, developers, and consumers alike.

A simple database check-in can be done with nothing more than a 56k modem. The bandwidth required is minuscule, and there is ample infrastructure for a function such as that. But that is the bare minimum, and has little bearing on the discussion at hand. Also, I'm pretty sure I remember Microsoft nixing even that requirement.

However, full games usually average in excess of 7 Gigabytes at present. And there are quite a few these days that are exceeding even that. Thanks to the lowering costs and excessive sizes of modern hard drives, maintaining storage for such games is actually viable. But the bandwidth necessary to download games of this size requires a high-speed internet connection that can be constantly maintained. Dial-up isn't going to cut it for games that big.

However, full games usually average in excess of 7 Gigabytes at present. And there are quite a few these days that are exceeding even that. Thanks to the lowering costs and excessive sizes of modern hard drives, maintaining storage for such games is actually viable. But the bandwidth necessary to download games of this size requires a high-speed internet connection that can be constantly maintained. Dial-up isn't going to cut it for games that big.
Except they knew we're not ready for an entirely digital system, so they still kept discs around where you could install from there. You'd get all the benefits of buying a digital title, and having the benefit of not having to download a big game. People with high speeds could get digital if they wanted, and others could buy the disc and install once and then never have to use the disc again. It was a great plan, too bad no one realized it.

People with high speeds could get digital if they wanted, and others could buy the disc and install once and then never have to use the disc again. It was a great plan, too bad no one realized it.
It was a workable plan. It's going too far to call it "great." It would have been great for Microsoft and major third-party publishers, but not so great for a lot of other people. (including the general consumer) At the same time, I do think we lost out a bit when they opted to cancel this approach. While there were serious drawbacks to it, there was also plenty of potential. Perhaps most importantly, it was different from what everyone else was doing. With two other competitors taking the more traditional model, consumers would have still had plenty of options open to them. It would have been nice to see one company attempting something as ambitious and forward-thinking as Microsoft's original vision for the XBox One.

The biggest problem with the XBox One's original approach was that it was very risky in the short-term. It would have virtually guaranteed a much slower build-up of the system's user base. And this in turn would have severely hampered 3rd-party development support. And content remains king when it comes to home consoles.

No one has mentioned a word about the CoD:Ghosts MP reveal? :(

I know some on this forum love to hate on the FPS's, but ugh that looked frankly amazingly fun. Clan Wars especially, as well as the Squad system.

Yes please, I'll take two!

im not a big cod fan anymore but i agree ghost looks like it might be pretty good and  worth a buy. the thing i do like is that nothing will be missing out on current gen game. every thing in the xbox one version (including ai call outs) is in 360 version. iw has always made the best cod games hands down.

"I would like to see Kinect games not sell well and people not using optional Kinect features in regular games etc. as I don't want to see motion controls gain more footing or become the norm."

I can't believe I actually read this on a video game forum. Aren't we supposed to be more forward-looking than most people? Weren't games themselves the "radical new thing" that a lot of people used to not like before finally picking it up and saying "Hey, this isn't so bad"?

Talk about anti-progress. "I want it to fail because I don't personally like it." Well, hooray for you! Guess that means if someone came out with a holodeck tomorrow, you would have to take a pass on enjoying it, because it wouldn't stick to the "tradition" of sitting on your ass and using fingers and thumbs to control the game.
Gaming is just a silly hobby for me. The only thing I care about is getting games I like to play, with control schemes I enjoy. So yes, I want things to stay the same as I'd quit gaming if motion control became the norm, have no interest in VR/holodeck as I play games to play games and escape from reality so I'm no interested in an uber realistic fake reality.

If/when the industry goes that way, no skin off my nose. Gaming is already not my top hobby and I'd have no qualms walking away from it. I could say screw next gen and quit today and not really miss it that much as that time would just go into hobbies I enjoy more anyway.

But I do still like playing traditional games with traditional controls for the time being, so I'll root for those type of consoles to stick around as long as possible. I'm thrilled Sony is doing that with the PS4 with no motion control stuff packed in, and I've supported them by preordering despite not being all that excited for the launch games.

For those who like motion control stuff, you all should be doing the opposite of me and pre-ordering X1, preordering a PS eye if you're getting a PS4 etc. All that matters in hobbies is enjoying what you like and doing what you can to encourage more of that being produced. I do that by avoiding motion controls and refusing to buy any console that comes with them. People who love them should do the opposite and buy everything that comes out, buying a bunch of Kinect and Eye games etc. and we'll see where the market leads gaming in the future.

It's the same as any other hobby really. Focus on what you like and hope that grows and ignore the stuff you hate and hope it goes away. A good parallel is 3D movies. Some love them, some hate them. The former should be seeing as many 3D movies in the theater as possible and buying as many 3D Blurays as they can. The latter should be refusing to see any 3D showings and only buy 2D blurays and hope the 3D fad dies down.

No one has mentioned a word about the CoD:Ghosts MP reveal? :(

I know some on this forum love to hate on the FPS's, but ugh that looked frankly amazingly fun. Clan Wars especially, as well as the Squad system.

Yes please, I'll take two!

Holyyyy shit.

That looks awesome!!! I've been waiting for something like that. Now we just a type of system where you can match up with other clans as a scheduled kind of thing.( Might be wrong on this ) I think there was website that allowed to do something similiar?

But ingame meetings or a type of forum where you schedule this would be AWESOME.

But I do still like playing traditional games with traditional controls for the time being, so I'll root for those type of consoles to stick around as long as possible. I'm thrilled Sony is doing that with the PS4 with no motion control stuff packed in, and I've supported them by preordering despite not being all that excited for the launch games.
That's all well and good. But rooting for something that you like and approve of is not the same as rooting against something you don't like. There's far too much temptation on-line to look at everything in a polarizing fashion. Things have to either be one thing or another, and there's no room for middle ground.

If you prefer more traditional controls, more power to you. A lot of the game enthusiasts around here love traditional controls. But that doesn't mean that other input methods shouldn't exist, or shouldn't be experimented with. There's easily room for both in this industry.

A bit more enthusiasm and a bit less vitriol is all we're endorsing here. A little more live and let live, and a little less active antagonism.

CoD: Ghosts looks great.

I'll probably still pass on it as I've pretty much given up competitive MP as I just suck at it and have more frustration than fun.  My aiming and reaction times aren't fast enough, and I don't have the time to really learn all the maps etc. to be decent.

I may rent it to blow through the campaign though as I did enjoy the camping in all the CoDs this gen.

That's all well and good. But rooting for something that you like and approve of is not the same as rooting against something you don't like. There's far too much temptation on-line to look at everything in a polarizing fashion. Things have to either be one thing or another, and there's no room for middle ground.

If you prefer more traditional controls, more power to you. A lot of the game enthusiasts around here love traditional controls. But that doesn't mean that other input methods shouldn't exist, or shouldn't be experimented with. There's easily room for both in this industry.

A bit more enthusiasm and a bit less vitriol is all we're endorsing here. A little more live and let live, and a little less active antagonism.
I mostly agree and I'm 100% fine with motion controls existing along side traditional ones. Just like this gen where the Kinect and PS eye were OPTIONAL accessories.

I have no qualms with that. I have major issues with them being packed in, being shoehorned into regular games and ruining them for me like Waggle on the Wii did etc. That's what I'm rooting against.

I don't want the X1 to fail. I'm hoping what happens is market research shows that gamers aren't using optional Kinect features in traditional games in very large numbers to send the clear message that gamers don't want motion controls in their regular games--but just for stuff like dance games, fitness games for people too lazy to go run or to the gym, casual/party/kid games etc.

I'm fine with that. That's a best of both worlds situation. What I don't want to see is a situation where all consoles end up like the Wii with motion control shoved into most every game since every console owner has the needed accessories. Leave it for motion control specific games, and as an optional control scheme in games designed around gamepad control first and I have zero qualms with it.

Again, I don't want X1 to fail. Nintendo is pretty much a non-factor now, so we need MS and Sony to be strong (at least until a Steam Box is out) to have good competition in the console arena. I just want Kinect as a traditional game control method to fail, and for future consoles to not have prices jacked up due to including motion control stuff that should be an extra peripheral rather than included part of the console IMO.

they are confusing people at saying next gen engine. Friends keep messing me on live saying thye need to get xbox one for some things on cod ghost but just read that everything that was showed today including things like ai call outs and other new things are in this gen and next gen.

I have no qualms with that. I have major issues with them being packed in, being shoehorned into regular games and ruining them for me like Waggle on the Wii did etc. That's what I'm rooting against.
I'm with you on the game design, and shoehorning motion controls where they don't actually contribute to the experience. And this sort of game design mistake is more likely with the hardware being bundled in with the system. While it is positive that such a move will insure the Kinect gets better development support, it also makes some developers feel obligated to use it, even when they shouldn't. When designing a game, you should pick an input and design specifically to that input. You get the best results that way. Most modern developers either don't have the experience to handle a hybrid input system, or are unwilling to take the necessary risk in developing a successful hybrid control implementation. We'll see someone pull it off eventually, but there have been a lot of misses so far.

Quite a few other game enthusiasts are upset by the bundling of the Kinect because of its effect on the price. While I can certainly appreciate that this does effect the marketability of the system, especially in such a competitive environment, it's still hard for me to feel sympathy. Modern gamers are EXTREMELY spoiled when it comes to prices.

I'm with you on the game design, and shoehorning motion controls where they don't actually contribute to the experience. And this sort of game design mistake is more likely with the hardware being bundled in with the system. While it is positive that such a move will insure the Kinect gets better development support, it also makes some developers feel obligated to use it, even when they shouldn't. When designing a game, you should pick an input and design specifically to that input. You get the best results that way. Most modern developers either don't have the experience to handle a hybrid input system, or are unwilling to take the necessary risk in developing a successful hybrid control implementation. We'll see someone pull it off eventually, but there have been a lot of misses so far.

Quite a few other game enthusiasts are upset by the bundling of the Kinect because of its effect on the price. While I can certainly appreciate that this does effect the marketability of the system, especially in such a competitive environment, it's still hard for me to feel sympathy. Modern gamers are EXTREMELY spoiled when it comes to prices.
Agree 100% to the first. That's the issue--that it's packed in and developers will force it in to places/games/genres it really doesn't belong as it's inferior to traditional controls. Just like we saw on the Wii with waggle. That's what I hope fails. Kinect is fine for games designed for it. It doesn't' need to be in FPS, WRPGs, platformers, fighting games etc. Or at least to be fully optional in those types of games. If that's the case, I have no qualms for it.

As for price. I don't mind the $500 tag overall. That's not pocket change, but also not that much money to me. I just don't like that it's $100 more than PS4 due to Kinect which is something I'd never use and don't want to support by buying. But it's really that latter that matters. I wouldn't buy an X1 with Kinect packed in for any price as I vote with my wallet by not buying motion control hardware/consoles.

One thing that I'm hoping they get right with the XBox One is typing emulation via voice commands. It's an area where typical controllers have always been weak, and where a constant microphone/voice recognition setup could genuinely improve the experience.

Trying to type using a gamepad has always been annoying. One of the best implementations of this that I've seen was in Beyond Good and Evil. But even that took a while to actually type anything out. And switching between a controller and a keyboard is never fun. The little thumb-typing pads aren't a proper replacement either.

One of the real potential values I see in the new Kinect is in allowing vocal typing while using a controller. This would be particularly useful in web browsing. But it would also be generally useful for any form of text entry on the system. I'm just hoping Microsoft has gotten the voice recognition working as well as they present it.

There is some potential for that stuff for sure.  But that could have been accomplished with a simple, cheap microphone built on to the front of the console to do all that stuff, the media switching via voice commands etc. and left the Kinect camera as an optional accessory.

Personally, I'm still not much for that stuff, haven't used Siri on my iPhone in more than a year etc.  But I can see some potential there--and more so as the technology improves.  My main reason for not using Siri more is it's just not very accurate for my voice.  Especially for things like trying to dictate a text message of more than a couple of words.

they are confusing people at saying next gen engine. Friends keep messing me on live saying thye need to get xbox one for some things on cod ghost but just read that everything that was showed today including things like ai call outs and other new things are in this gen and next gen.
Was the event even played on XB1s? Nothing seemed next gen at all to me.

This will be the last COD I buy on launch anyways, and It's only because of the XB1 coming out, otherwise I would have waited to grab it cheaper. Unless all these new improvements actually help the game, cause watching that first multiplayer map I wasn't all that impressed.

bread's done
Back