Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Great review and slick controller. I wonder if they can do licensed images, because it would be cool to make my own mass effect themed controller.

I broke down and ordered a Western Digital 4TB external hard drive. $135 after coupon "vco". Sucks because it would have been $117 after coupon a few days ago, but I didn't get paid till today. I've been full for a while and keep having to delete games so this will be nice.

Anybody excited for The Golf Club coming out tomorrow? The asynchronous online multiplayer is pretty cool.

Anybody excited for The Golf Club coming out tomorrow? The asynchronous online multiplayer is pretty cool.
Is this game better with Kinect? Only interested if it is.

Seriously though, I hope the asynchronous bit means we can skip or fast forward through what our "opponents" are doing. My issue with these types of games (like golf in GTA 5, for example) is having to wait for someone else. You can't tell if they're planning out their shots or if they're AFK.

Is this game better with Kinect? Only interested if it is.

Seriously though, I hope the asynchronous bit means we can skip or fast forward through what our "opponents" are doing. My issue with these types of games (like golf in GTA 5, for example) is having to wait for someone else. You can't tell if they're planning out their shots or if they're AFK.
No, it doesn't use Kinect. You use the right analog stick to swing (pull it down and then up).

Yeah, the multiplayer doesn't force you to watch your opponent's moves. You will see their moves as you are making yours. But if you get ahead, you just move on to the next hole. And the cool thing is, the other player doesn't have to do anything special. You see their activity on your friends feed, and you can jump in and challenge them (the game they already played) at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Golf Club is pretty awesome.  I've had it for a few months on Steam and have really enjoyed it.  It can be a serious challenge, it is definitely not in the same vein as Hot Shots or Mario Golf or even Tiger Woods in a lot of ways.  Way more of a simulation than those games so if you like arcade golf games I would think twice about it.  But if you are looking for a real challenge with a good amount of realism then that game is for you. 

I'm getting The Golf Club also and i don't even like golf that much but love to use the right stick for swinging.

Anyone know when Madden 15 is gonna be playable for EA Access members?

Well it's official, this system, and that's the next gen systems (current gen now) in general, is not internet cap friendly. There is no way to download a big ass system update, medium sized updates for games and then have data used for Live. Wow, do I miss the days of 4 Mb "patches". I will be getting Diablo III for some good RPG single player action though, most likely not right away and I'll watch the price through the months. 

The ReddX app that came out today is pretty cool if you're a reddit user. Has a few problems and things that need to be worked out but I'm pretty impressed with it. 

anyone get the golf game ? it looks pretty dang good people i seen saying it's better then tiger woods ever was
It's good at some things (course creation, async multiplayer) but bad at some things. Besides the crappy aiming, there is no metagame or progression system to keep you coming back. I haven't actually played a console Tiger Woods in forever, but I don't think I'd call The Golf Club better overall. It's a good start to a series though.

The Golf Club is better than Tiger Woods from tee to green but it doesn't have near the feature set that a Tiger Woods game does. If a career mode with progression matters to you then I wouldn't recommend TGC as it currently is. But if you are looking for a reasonably realistic golfing sim and don't care about some of that stuff then I would highly recommend it.

no more preview program fro me it some reason mess up my system i now not getting new dashboard im stuck on old one when the new one already rolled outto public on tues  :wall:

[quote name="chimpmeister" post="12026533" timestamp="1408630668"]This is a great example of why I skipped Kinect on the 360, and why I had so little interest in the XB1 itself. Spastically waving your hands around doesn't make for a good game, it's just another gimmick. Looks awful.[/quote]
As opposed to spastically strumming on a plastic flipper, or spastically mashing buttons for a fighting game, or spastically stomping on a floor mat? Sorry, but your reductive argument is not very relevant. Even less so since you haven't actually played them. Dance Central is a lot of fun. This might shock you as well, but spastically moving around isn't going to net you a good score. You may even fail... Kind of like if you were doing the same thing in Street Fighter, Guitar Hero, or any other game.

it also takes a hell of a time to boot up, has a bunch of tutorials that are required and an intro video that is required
well it is the full game what you expect. im stuck on thinking what the point of that statement is ? my guess a bash on access seeing it takes up the six hours.

That only means i don't have to sit and do the starting stuff that they always have inmadden now when i get the game monday night. Plus the game will not need to be installed :)

As opposed to spastically strumming on a plastic flipper, or spastically mashing buttons for a fighting game, or spastically stomping on a floor mat? Sorry, but your reductive argument is not very relevant. Even less so since you haven't actually played them. Dance Central is a lot of fun. This might shock you as well, but spastically moving around isn't going to net you a good score. You may even fail... Kind of like if you were doing the same thing in Street Fighter, Guitar Hero, or any other game.
"Strumming on a plastic flipper" is just another gimmick, no point there. And using a standard controller is far from a gimmick, no point there either. Congrats on bungling a simple response so badly!

"Strumming on a plastic flipper" is just another gimmick, no point there. And using a standard controller is far from a gimmick, no point there either. Congrats on bungling a simple response so badly!
Please explain how it is any different other than it is the standard you are used to? How we control a game does not define whether a game is good or not. There are good guitar games and bad. There are good controller based games and bad. There are good touch screen games and bad. I didn't bungle a response badly you just bungled your comprehension and have nothing to offer to substantiate your point other than trying to make some quips. Failing to acknowledge a point and dismissing it because you have no retort does not make your "response" a success.

And also, a gimmick does not make for a bad game or input device either. There was a point when an analog joystick was a gimmick. But I guess I failed in this response too since I actually focused on your entire post rather than two sentences.

Please explain how it is any different other than it is the standard you are used to? How we control a game does not define whether a game is good or not. There are good guitar games and bad. There are good controller based games and bad. There are good touch screen games and bad. I didn't bungle a response badly you just bungled your comprehension and have nothing to offer to substantiate your point other than trying to make some quips. Failing to acknowledge a point and dismissing it because you have no retort does not make your "response" a success. And also, a gimmick does not make for a bad game or input device either. There was a point when an analog joystick was a gimmick. But I guess I failed in this response too since I actually focused on your entire post rather than two sentences.
Ok.

4buWTNV.jpg

No fighting, my friends!

The makers of You Don't Know Jack just released an Xbox One game called Fibbage for $7. They could have at least promoted it a bit first! Will try to score a copy and check it out soon.

Are they actually going to update Diablo 3 this time around with regular patches?

I ask because I am getting a XOne within the next 3-4 weeks and I am debating if I need to re-buy D3 to play with friends or not. I have the PC version but if XOne isn't getting patch 2.1, then screw it.

It says 2-8 players. Is it all local or online too?
Haven't tried myself, but I understand that players 2-8 log in through a website in order to participate, so they don't need to be local.

Are they actually going to update Diablo 3 this time around with regular patches?

I ask because I am getting a XOne within the next 3-4 weeks and I am debating if I need to re-buy D3 to play with friends or not. I have the PC version but if XOne isn't getting patch 2.1, then screw it.
Blizzard has promised to update it. No telling how quickly the updates will come.

It says 2-8 players. Is it all local or online too?
Tonight I tried Fibble so now I can give a better impression. It's a multiplayer quiz game, kinda similar to Balderdash in that you're trying to fool other people in addition to getting the right answer. The game presents a factual sentence and leaves one word out. Everyone playing tries to guess the right word and/or come up with a word that other players will believe to be correct.

Instead of using controllers, every single player uses a phone, tablet, etc. Anything with a web browser. You go to the game website, enter your name and room code, and then you join the game running on the console. No need for SmartGlass, etc. This is great because you can enter text and make selections without other people seeing it. It sounded weird to me when I heard about it, but it totally works and you don't need to be a gamer or understand controllers to play.

Technically someone can play non-locally - the questions appear on the phone, you make your selections there, etc. But you don't hear the announcer or see whose turns it is, who's winning, etc. So it's much more enjoyable to play in the same room.

Will play some more and review it soon.

Are review codes being sent out for Metro Redux?
I didn't ask because I wouldn't have time to cover it right now. I'm the only one who specifically reviews Xbone games at our site, so no need to ask if I can't handle it. Looking forward to hearing other people's impressions of how Metro Redux turns out though!

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12032588" timestamp="1408827689"]I'm not sure if this is old news but I saw it on Reddit.
That Xbox One Mini controller I mentioned several pages ago that appeared on a UK site appears to be real and Gamestop has a listing page for it.
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-mini-wired-controller/116410?cid=fds_10000001&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=103539&gclid=CjwKEAjw9-CfBRD8lt_w86zJiDUSJAADZA38-HYVY0Tox2dsGIa02-i7Ek_BU-Wq3efWrZJ6T3pTbRoCPJ_w_wcB#reviews

10/1/2014 Release Date same as the UK page. $39.99 price.[/quote]
I still don't understand who that's for. Are there people who think the controller is too big?

BD&A, who owns Power A. I called that one a few days back. Not a bad controller, better than Madcatz, but still not up to first-party quality.

I still don't understand who that's for. Are there people who think the controller is too big?
Kids? I have a Power A 360 mini controller around here that is the perfect size for my kids to use.

Sega is bringing Puyo Puyo Tetris to Xbox One... But only in Japan.

Check out my story to learn why it's a cool game.

I'm not sure if this is old news but I saw it on Reddit.

That Xbox One Mini controller I mentioned several pages ago that appeared on a UK site appears to be real and Gamestop has a listing page for it.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-mini-wired-controller/116410?cid=fds_10000001&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=103539&gclid=CjwKEAjw9-CfBRD8lt_w86zJiDUSJAADZA38-HYVY0Tox2dsGIa02-i7Ek_BU-Wq3efWrZJ6T3pTbRoCPJ_w_wcB#reviews

10/1/2014 Release Date same as the UK page. $39.99 price.
Sweet. I'm going to review the heck out of that.

Maybe it's targeted at the crowd that REALLY liked the Xbox 360's gamepad since the overall ergonomics and button placement looks to be identical.
Could be just for the people who don't want to spend $60 on a brand new controller, but what do I know?

bread's done
Back