Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I could be wrong of course, but I take developers like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Guerilla Games out of the picture.

If you want to name and correct me, feel free to do so.
Besides the studios named Sony/SCE _____, they own each of those studios you named along with Evolution, Polyphony Digital, and Media Molecule.

Talking about console exclusives in what foolishness did they decide to abandon alan wake? That is one of my favorite games of last generation but, they seem to have completely given up on it

But you'd have to take note that most of these new IP's aren't being developed by Microsoft. Games like Ryse Dead Rising 3, or the future Sunset Overdrive are third-party developed and were timed exclusives that as I said ended up going to other platforms and the same goes for Ori and The Blind Forest. Don't get me wrong. I love my Xbox One in comparison to my PS4 but console exclusives are going to be part of what shapes your console's lifetime and not having them would be a serious problem. So far I've seen Microsoft spend what could only have been a ridiculous amount of money on Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive, and supposedly they're spending a boatload to acquire Mojang. This is all money that could have gone into founding new studios to support their portfolio. Hell I think Microsoft already has a lot of great IP's to work off of with games like Banjo, Perfect Dark, Fusion Frenzy, Kameo, Conker, and MUCH more but as I mentioned they need more studios to develop these games because their current ones can only balance so much.
Agreed but MS is a tech company first and foremost and that industry has almost exclusively adopted the big pharma business model. You let a startup take all the risk to bring a successful product to market and then you buy them. Why invest in 10 new Studios when you can buy an established and successful one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question about the Minecraft upgrade. We plan on giving the 360 version to my son at the end of the month for his bday. If we upgrade to the xb1 version for the $5 will it still be playable on both systems or at that point xb1 only?

Quick question about the Minecraft upgrade. We plan on giving the 360 version to my son at the end of the month for his bday. If we upgrade to the xb1 version for the $5 will it still be playable on both systems or at that point xb1 only?
You can still play on both systems.

Remedy isn't owned by MS.

And does it really matter who owns it?  A exclusive IP/title is all it is at the end of the day, regardless of it being in house or not.

I'm fine with timed exclusives they still get the point across. You couldn't play Dead RIsing 3 for 11 months and you stll need a beastly PC to run it well. You couldn't play Ryse for almost a year and your going to need even more of a beastly PC to run it. 

I do wonder how long till we start seeing Forza games on the PC. It's the only IP that hasn't brought to PC yet in terms of big sales from the MS side.

You know what grinds my gears though? Fable Anniversary is coming to Steam, but no word on a X1 port.

It should be easy for them to port over Fable Anniversary to the X1.

The simple fact of the matter is that Mojang made a rap ton of money on a very easily developed Minecraft game.  In about a month or so it will be available on every single platform.  My biggest point is besides merchandise, how much more money can it actually make?  And really, can there even be a minecraft 2?  If I am knotch, the only reason I take this deal and run now is because there is not much you can do with Minecraft anymore.  Take MS's 2 billion and start another game from scratch.

As for MS, go buy one of the third party developers that is making games for you like insomniac, instead of just timed exclusives.  Something that people have know become accustomed to is, most MS games are timed and even though I may be a Sony gamer, I know it will come eventually.

The simple fact of the matter is that Mojang made a rap ton of money on a very easily developed Minecraft game. In about a month or so it will be available on every single platform. My biggest point is besides merchandise, how much more money can it actually make? And really, can there even be a minecraft 2? If I am knotch, the only reason I take this deal and run now is because there is not much you can do with Minecraft anymore. Take MS's 2 billion and start another game from scratch.

As for MS, go buy one of the third party developers that is making games for you like insomniac, instead of just timed exclusives. Something that people have know become accustomed to is, most MS games are timed and even though I may be a Sony gamer, I know it will come eventually.
Agreed, $2B is an insane amount of money. Having said that, I also don't think there is another independent developer out there who offers the same type of IP/brand recognition. We as gamers tend to think of these things in terms of creativity and innovation but what companies (ie suits) really want is easy money. Also, we don't know who MS is trying to buy, for all we know they might buy Insomniac if SO turns out to be hit. Plus, rumors always pop up about them trying to by some of the Japanese developers but IMO that would be an absolute clusterfuck and a total and absolute corporate culture clash.

Agreed, $2B is an insane amount of money. Having said that, I also don't think there is another independent developer out there who offers the same type of IP/brand recognition. We as gamers tend to think of these things in terms of creativity and innovation but what companies (ie suits) really want is easy money. Also, we don't know who MS is trying to buy, for all we know they might buy Insomniac if SO turns out to be hit. Plus, rumors always pop up about them trying to by some of the Japanese developers but IMO that would be an absolute clusterfuck and a total and absolute corporate culture clash.
im sure sony tried to buy them back on the ps2 cuz of the success of ratchet and clank. if they said no to that, they would probably say no to MS trying to buy them.

im sure sony tried to buy them back on the ps2 cuz of the success of ratchet and clank. if they said no to that, they would probably say no to MS trying to buy them.
And that could be the case as well. Again, it usually takes two interested parties to make a deal.

I'm still really torn I think I want to get the Sunset Overdrive bundle because I'm going to get an xbox one and probably sunset overddrive the same day anyway.  I'm just not sure if there will be any better deals than the bundle on black friday or if somebody will offer another game free with the console.   Also my ps4 and monitor are black and I kinda think it would be better to have everything match.  So does anybody think that there will be any better deals then the sunset overddrive bundle on or around the time it releases?  Also how do bestbuy preorders on consoles work?    

People have been saying for the last few years that Minecraft had peaked and that it's going to stop selling once it reaches the next new platform, but it keeps blowing past those claims and continues to dominate each new platform it arrives on.

People have been saying for the last few years that Minecraft had peaked and that it's going to stop selling once it reaches the next new platform, but it keeps blowing past those claims and continues to dominate each new platform it arrives on.
yes, but what else is there, after Vita it is on every platform!

Forza Horizon 2 Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQFiWpp5Y5w
I want to pick this game up on release but the first one dropped in price real quick after it launched. Not sure if the same will happen again.

Forza Horizon, Release date: 10/23/2012

Dropped to $15 on 11/23/2012 which was around Black Friday at multiple stores(Amazon, Walmart, and Microsoft Store).

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/272116607147450368

I want to pick this game up on release but the first one dropped in price real quick after it launched. Not sure if the same will happen again.

Forza Horizon, Release date: 10/23/2012
On Xbox One at least, it won't drop nearly that fast. you're right about the first game on 360 though. I could see that happening again with the 360 version of Horizon 2.

Thats fine. But that's the topic we were all discussing lol
Have you ever wondered what it would sound like in real life if you (Deader) laughed at all the things you type lol to? I mean, do you know what lol means?

Just asking.

PC delayed until January 27th, great news for us gamers but yeah Ubi and EA cannot be too happy about this.
oh really lol it will hurt unity sales but why would EA be upset battfield is delayed until next spring. i think i will need to double dip the bigger online play which in my opinion sucked with so little players on that big of map on last gen. The new songs are huge also. Lets hope heist is announced for launch as well

I can't imagine Ubisoft will be happy at all since GTA 5 comes out the same day as Far Cry 4 and the same week as Assassin's Creed Unity and The Crew. It also releases on the same day as Little Big Planet 3 and Dragon Age Origins which leaves me no doubt SOMEBODY is going to be moving their game release dates around.

(Edit) Master Chief Collection also drops on the 11th so there's that too....

Unity/The Crew release on the 11th as well, but yeah, Nov. 18th is a crowded release date for gaming.

Will be avoiding buying all of the Ubisoft titles on release day until Black Friday. I'm sure the Microsoft Store won't disappoint with sales like previous years. :cool:  

Will be avoiding buying all of the Ubisoft titles on release day until Black Friday. I'm sure the Microsoft Store won't disappoint with sales like previous years. :cool:
So much this. MCC, FH2, and GTA5 all day one buys. WIll hopefully be able to get The Crew, Unity, Rogue, and Far Cry 4 for cheap come BF.

Wow now that I look at it, I'm going to be spending a lot of credit on games in November haha

Have you ever wondered what it would sound like in real life if you (Deader) laughed at all the things you type lol to? I mean, do you know what lol means?

Just asking.
Would you feel better if I typed "heh" to convey my non conventional tone?

I'm not sure what the point of making this comment is."heh"

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12088109" timestamp="1410543851"]I can't imagine Ubisoft will be happy at all since GTA 5 comes out the same day as Far Cry 4 and the same week as Assassin's Creed Unity and The Crew. It also releases on the same day as Little Big Planet 3 and Dragon Age Origins which leaves me no doubt SOMEBODY is going to be moving their game release dates around.

(Edit) Master Chief Collection also drops on the 11th so there's that too....[/quote]
Doubt it. Unless they push their games to next year. It is tough to move a date ahead and there's only one more Tuesday after that before the sweet sweet black Friday. I'd be surprised if anybody moved.

Cheapy d was saying something about usb microphones working on xbox one and ps4?  I have my ps4 hooked up to a monitor with a pair of logitech speakers that I can plug any pair of cans I have into (I already have about 5 pairs of full sized cans).  I think I would rather get a mic with a stand like http://www.amazon.com/CAD-U1-Dynamic-Recording-Microphone/dp/B000ULQTE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410562029&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+mic+with+stand then use the crappy headset ms includes with the system.  Is that possible? 

So I was looking at Monopoly Family Fun Pack. Apparently you can use your tablet or mobile device to manage your properties or keep track of your money. It also has custom boards. Could be worth a buy for me. Not 100% sure yet. I think The only things I'm getting for sure right now are Sunset and Halo. 

So I was looking at Monopoly Family Fun Pack. Apparently you can use your tablet or mobile device to manage your properties or keep track of your money. It also has custom boards. Could be worth a buy for me. Not 100% sure yet. I think The only things I'm getting for sure right now are Sunset and Halo.
That's pretty cool. Seems kinda weird to all sit on the couch with our phones out though when everyone i already own a monopoly board.

It might be more useful for

"MONOPOLY DEAL MODE." The fun of MONOPOLY packed into a fast-dealing, card-stealing game! Play online or in person with up to 5 players.

Maybe you can do some behind the scenes stuff or act like you have less money to get a better deal on a bid or something. We'll see.

It sounds like the Minecraft deal is going to be announced on Monday and now the sum that's getting thrown around is 2.5 billion dollars.

I can't help but to sigh and facepalm when I think where that money could have gone for new Xbox studios and games.....

It sounds like the Minecraft deal is going to be announced on Monday and now the sum that's getting thrown around is 2.5 billion dollars.

I can't help but to sigh and facepalm when I think where that money could have gone for new Xbox studios and games.....
Or imagine had they decided to be a loss leader on the console and make a far more powerful machine but launch at the same price as the PS4, it probably would have cost them far less than this 2.5 billion dollar deal coupled with the amount of funds they are bleeding just to try and keep up with Sony. I don't think I've seen one article that has an author that understands and/or agrees with this deal. There has got to be unknown details because buying a single game studio for that kind of money seems like borderline insanity.

Or imagine had they decided to be a loss leader on the console and make a far more powerful machine but launch at the same price as the PS4, it probably would have cost them far less than this 2.5 billion dollar deal coupled with the amount of funds they are bleeding just to try and keep up with Sony. I don't think I've seen one article that has an author that understands and/or agrees with this deal. There has got to be unknown details because buying a single game studio for that kind of money seems like borderline insanity.
this deal is being paid for with ms overseas money same thing that they did for things like twitter and what not. seems like microsoft is more into the company and minecraft name. This is not even coming out of xbox one budget.

plus how is ms bleeding money? if they can pay 2.5 billion for a small company it shows they are not hurting for money.

I dont think they can.

Apparently, they are mostly buying them for the game to be on windows phones lol.....
you do know they company is in middle of making two new games right cobalt and scrolls ? i would just call that nonsense thinking they are spending 2.5 billin for windows phone

bread's done
Back