Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

It sounds like the best setup would be to run an HDMI cable from the cablebox to the X1, that should take care of it both your video and audio. The Gold Headset works great with the X1 but you'll need to pick up the adapter.
If I don't really care about chat audio and I already own a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A will that adapter be loud enough? I tried plugging those headphones into both the back of the monitor and the ps4 headset and it's pretty quiet heck I even use a portable amp on my ipod to get the sound louder. Also I could throw away the remote for the cablebox if i hooked up the x1 and just use the controller? I have some decent speakers but only one spot left on my powerbrick that is being reserved for the x1. Also the whole reason I moved to the desk is because every time I look at cable clutter drives me freaking insane. Or would a better option be some kind of amplifier connected to the monitor that I plug in my headphones to?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I don't really care about chat audio and I already own a pair of http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A will that adapter be loud enough? I tried plugging those headphones into both the back of the monitor and the ps4 headset and it's pretty quiet heck I even use a portable amp on my ipod to get the sound louder. Also I could throw away the remote for the cablebox if i hooked up the x1 and just use the controller? I have some decent speakers but only one spot left on my powerbrick that is being reserved for the x1. Also the whole reason I moved to the desk is because every time I look at cable clutter drives me freaking insane. Or would a better option be some kind of amplifier connected to the monitor that I plug in my headphones to?
I see. I find the Gold Headset to be plenty loud for me, when cranked up all the way up, but it sounds like you are looking for something louder. If so I think you have to use some sort of an amp or DDS but I might be wrong on this.

I see. I find the Gold Headset to be plenty loud for me, when cranked up all the way up, but it sounds like you are looking for something louder. If so I think you have to use some sort of an amp or DDS but I might be wrong on this.
I'm looking for the least messy solution. If I had an amp connected to the monitor that my headphones plug in all I would have to do is turn the knob to crank up the volume for whatever the current source is. But I have no way to judge if the headphones are loud enough without trying them first

If you just want to play multiple seasons with NHL teams in single player, then you'll probably be satisfied. The entry draft is automated, however.

Got my One.

Tried Forza 5 at my gf's since she downloaded it, and wow I understand why Forza is amazing. I am still up in the air if I wanna buy Forza 5 or just get Horizon 2 when it comes out. Anyone have opinions on the matter? Only reason I am still up in the air with F5 is lack of tracks vs open world.
Ahem...

Well Forza Motorsport 5 is all about the car, the track, the tires, right down to the physics and cloud data that Forza utilizes with Xbox One. If you want to feel what is very close to the real thing among the many cars you can drive, and be within a detailed car while racing around the corners, Forza 5 is the choice for you.

Forza Horizon 2 will be the core Forza game in an open world setting with a fun and exciting environments and soundtrack. Of course there's also the social aspects they're planning for it, car clubs, open world co-op and tons of co-op/online fun. Forza Horizon 2 will be a sequel to Forza Horizon, which was good, so a lot of people are looking forward to it.

Personally, I'd go with both. :D/

October Update Preview details have been released and the update should be live today.

New Snap and Friends functions – Stay in the game and in touch with your friends at the same time with improved Snap, SmartGlass and Achievements functions.

• Snap Updates – We’ve updated the Snap Center to include quick access to many of the things our fans wanted faster access to when playing a game – Friends, Messages, Game DVR, clock, and battery indicator – as well as making it easier to close and open new snap apps when playing a game. A double tap of the Xbox button on your controller will bring up a menu that allows you to open a new app in snap mode, close the current snapped app, or switch focus between your game and your running snapped app. Additionally, two apps have been optimized for Snap mode:

Friends Snap App – Access your friends list without leaving the game. Quickly check your friends list to see who's online right now and take actions like send message, invite or join.
  • Messages Snap App – You’ll be able to open, read and respond to messages in Snap mode, and messages will now be displayed in a threaded conversation view.

[*]Achievements App – Updated to enable sharing of achievements you've unlocked with captions, see a list of friends who have unlocked specific achievements, and an updated achievements Snap landing page that that shows Achievements on recently played games, when a user is not actively playing a game.
[*]Friends section – The new Friends section enables you to see at a glance what’s going on with your friends. You can stay up-to-date with their current activities, the most popular games your friends are playing, and a Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore over the last 30 days. The new Friends section has been available for select preview members for a few weeks and now we’re bringing it to everyone in the program, with plans to roll out this feature for all Xbox One owners with the October system update.
[*]New SmartGlass features – You can now see a list of your top games in your profile. You can also see a list of your friend’s most popular games in the Friend's section of SmartGlass. 
Improvements for TV and video – We’re excited to roll out updates that will make your viewing experience better than ever on Xbox One, whether you want to watch TV or use SmartGlass as a universal remote.

• Media Player DLNA and MKV support – Members of the preview program who have also downloaded the latest version of the Media Player app will now have support for DLNA streaming. With this update, you will be able to easily access and play music, watch photo slideshows or movies stored on home media servers and devices that support the DLNA server protocols. Additionally, you will now be able to playback MKV files stored on a USB device or a device on your home network that supports DLNA streaming.
  • Live TV Trending – Within the next week, you will be able to see what Live TV is trending based on your country and OneGuide settings.  A new tab will be available in OneGuide that displays the top 10 most watched TV shows, with the list filtered down to the shows that are currently available to you based on your OneGuide settings.  You will be able to tune to a specific show by pressing the A button. The Live TV Trending list will be updated approximately every minute, so you can easily discover shows that are popular with other viewers.  This feature will initially be made available to preview users in the U.S., Canada and the UK.
  • Xbox One Digital TV Tuner – Previously announced in August, this new accessory will be available for purchase in UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain on October 21.  This USB-attached TV Tuner will enable users to watch TV on Xbox One, and pause Live TV for up to 30 minutes.  There are a limited number of preview participants in this program due to hardware requirements needed for testing.

Stream TV to SmartGlass – If you have an Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you will be able to stream TV across your home network to your smartphone or tablet using the Xbox SmartGlass app. You can also pause, play, rewind and change channels, without interrupting gameplay.

[*]Live TV MiniGuide – For markets where OneGuide is available, a new MiniGuide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing. You can quickly change channels, see what’s on other channels, and tune to the previous channel or other recent channels.
[*]OneGuide in 12 new countries – Live TV listings and schedules will be made available to preview members on Xbox One and SmartGlass for Belgium, Chile, Columbia, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and Russia in the next few days.
[*]Internet TV Apps – Apps with live TV channels can now include their TV listings within OneGuide.  In addition, other Xbox TV features such as channel changing using speech and Miniguide will work with these apps. These features are enabled automatically the first time you sign into a supported app. The first app to support this feature in preview will be Zattoo, a TV provider available in several European markets. We will be sharing more details soon with members of the public preview.
[*]Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass – If you are in one of those 12 countries, you will also be able use your mobile device to control your Xbox, TV, and/or Cable/Satellite box.
Other fan-requested features – We are also excited to roll out a few other cool features this month:

• Updated Devices & Accessories page – To access the new page, go inside Settings, where you can Find, Assign, and Update Xbox One accessories.  You can now more easily “assign” accessories to specific users, such as assigning a headset to a specific gamer.
  • Firmware updates – You can update the firmware for an individual device. And, you can also more easily find (or identify) a controller by making it vibrate.
  • Hide Games & Apps on your console – You can now hide items in the “Ready to install” list under My Games & Apps. This is a per-console setting and items will reappear in the list if they are installed again from the Xbox Store. To access the shortcut to temporarily show “hidden” items, press X while holding down both triggers and it will show all hidden items until you exit My Games & Apps.

• Hide Games & Apps on your console – You can now hide items in the “Ready to install” list under My Games & Apps. This is a per-console setting and items will reappear in the list if they are installed again from the Xbox Store. To access the shortcut to temporarily show “hidden” items, press X while holding down both triggers and it will show all hidden items until you exit My Games & Apps.
Thank god!

So Black Friday deals would I be better with amazon credit or bestbuy credit?   I have $100 gift card at bestbuy and thinking I might be better buying $100 in kindle cards and adding it to my amazon account

Snap Center is freaking amazingly. It's night and day better than what snapping used to be it's much easier to use with a controller and it feels a lot more fluid. Unfortunately I already noticed a bug where you can't scroll down past the first list of Snapple apps so until its fixed I can't properly locate Netflix. Regardless it's an amazing change and I highly recommend checking it out. The way they changed double tapping the Xbox button is a huge improvement as well.

Friends Center is also really nice and it makes locating your friends list a lot easier.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12078074" timestamp="1410231583"]Snap Center is freaking amazingly. It's night and day better than what snapping used to be it's much easier to use with a controller and it feels a lot more fluid. Unfortunately I already noticed a bug where you can't scroll down past the first list of Snapple apps so until its fixed I can't properly locate Netflix. Regardless it's an amazing change and I highly recommend checking it out. The way they changed double tapping the Xbox button is a huge improvement as well.

Friends Center is also really nice and it makes locating your friends list a lot easier.[/quote]
Snapple apps!? About time. I was wondering how long the timed exclusive was for PS4. Time to get my ice tea on.

@Kazeno Katana or anyone who is apart of the preview, can you be able to send me a invite?

GT: RedBLOODEDKing

I can't remember if they added a way for people without Kinect to do it without having to snap the Game DVR but I noticed they added a faster way for someone to "Record that" without using Kinect. Now you just double tap the Xbox button and the menu quickly comes up then when you press X it'll immediately do the command.

Very impressed with how much smoother everything is with this update, it also seems like a lot of the features like the Snap Center and the easier recording were made for people who didn't want or buy Kinect which is great.

Crappy Phone picture for reference to that menu I've been talking about.

96lqqh.jpg

nhl team realized they should spend all their time on the nbc license then care about all the stuff they took out. :D/ madden on other hand pretty much took cbs stuff with out paying for cbs and making cbs happy.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12078380" timestamp="1410236783"]I can't remember if they added a way for people without Kinect to do it without having to snap the Game DVR but I noticed they added a faster way for someone to "Record that" without using Kinect. Now you just double tap the Xbox button and the menu quickly comes up then when you press X it'll immediately do the command.

Very impressed with how much smoother everything is with this update, it also seems like a lot of the features like the Snap Center and the easier recording were made for people who didn't want or buy Kinect which is great.

Crappy Phone picture for reference to that menu I've been talking about.
96lqqh.jpg
[/quote]
Smartglass beta has a button dedicated to recording too. When playing, press the red button at the bottom of the screen.

I am so glad they are adding in snap center. I am getting annoyed about having to go out of game to check achievements.

Bought Forza for cheap, well a DL code. Gonna get both that and Horizon 2 because I will enjoy both. I got Forza 5 for cheap so lack of tracks are not that big of a deal.

nhl team realized they should spend all their time on the nbc license then care about all the stuff they took out. :D/ madden on other hand pretty much took cbs stuff with out paying for cbs and making cbs happy.
lol when i first played the demo I was damn that looks realistic. Turns out it was just nbc coverage stuck into the game. Seems unnecessary to say the least. Now about all this snapping business I often play fifa or something with a podcast going on in the background. Can you have a rerun of seinfeld or something with just the audio playing while playing a game? Heck when I get my xbox one I think it might become my console of choice just so I can game a few minutes during all the dumb nfl commercials.

Yeah, I tried the NHL demo last night and can't believe just how bare the menus are.  Not even an option for replays.

And WTF is with the FMV of not only the announcers in front of a green screen, but of the aerial stadium shots.  I did the same thing, thinking just how detailed the outside of that stadium looked, until it hit me that it was fuck ing video footage of it.  

Talk about cutting corners.  At least it seems to play alright, but it's still an instant pass for me.

So is the gold headset my best option for a headset that works on both for less then $100 that is wireless on at least one system? I think it's shitty how ms put a proprietary headset connector on the controller but if I have to pay $25 on adapter I'll deal with it when it comes around.  

So is the gold headset my best option for a headset that works on both for less then $100 that is wireless on at least one system? I think it's shitty how ms put a proprietary headset connector on the controller but if I have to pay $25 on adapter I'll deal with it when it comes around.
The headset adapter was free after rebate earlier but I think it sold out already.

The headset adapter was free after rebate earlier but I think it sold out already.
Shame that would have been amazing. I'll keep an eye out to see if it pops up again. Can someone comment on the loudness when using wired headphones through the controller? I have some nice sennheiser headphones that I would rather use then buy new headphones but at least on my ps4 the output is quite low.

Check out the custom WPCentral Xbox One controller!

ColorWare custom Xbox One controller review
Talking about windows phone what type of interaction does it have with the xbox one if any? For example could i buy a cheap lumia 520 and use it as a network remote for my xbox one? You know what would be cool microsoft? Using the mic on the phone to issue voice commands to the console. Are you listening microsoft? On a side note is there any particular reason why kinect was deemed nescessary for the xbox one launch? Couldn't they have just allowed any old usb mic to connect to issue voice commands for the people that want that feature? Honestly how many people care a bout the motion part? Like i dunno this http://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Computer-Laptop-Notebook-canceling/dp/B002KL0VY2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410282478&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+microphone+with+stand

Windows Phone doesn't have much interaction at all with the Xbox One. Never had much interaction with the 360 either besides friends lists, messaging, and earning XBL gamerscore from WP games. Aside from actual games with achievement points, Windows Phones do nothing in that respect that an Android device can't also do.

Those controllers do look cool, but the price is absurd. I won't even pay $60 for a new controller, so twice as much is out of the question. Even if I had a massive amount of disposable income, I would not pay their asking price.

Talking about windows phone what type of interaction does it have with the xbox one if any?
Same as any smartphone. You can use the SmartGlass app as a media remote and to do lots of cool stuff. Shame that WP doesn't do anything special in particular, but SmartGlass is still pretty neat.

Same as any smartphone. You can use the SmartGlass app as a media remote and to do lots of cool stuff. Shame that WP doesn't do anything special in particular, but SmartGlass is still pretty neat.
Cool great guess I can throw away my remote when I get my xbox one

The new dash preview is amazing especially for snapped apps. It's so much more faster now. It's my biggest complaint compared to the 360 now possibly put to rest (the overall app and dash speed).

Seriously is there any reason to wait for halo 5 to pick up an xbox one even if games are kinda scarce at the moment?  I know that I'm going to end up getting one anyway.  Does anybody really expect a big price drop by the time halo 5 roles around?  If it's only $50 or so I think i'd rather just have it now. I am not a very patient man right now seeing the pretty good deals.

Seriously is there any reason to wait for halo 5 to pick up an xbox one even if games are kinda scarce at the moment? I know that I'm going to end up getting one anyway. Does anybody really expect a big price drop by the time halo 5 roles around? If it's only $50 or so I think i'd rather just have it now. I am not a very patient man right now seeing the pretty good deals.
Just wait for the Microsoft steambox.

I'll be interested in seeing if media streaming on Xbox One is any better than the garbage they offered on Xbox 360.
It's worse. At least for right now.

Seriously is there any reason to wait for halo 5 to pick up an xbox one even if games are kinda scarce at the moment? I know that I'm going to end up getting one anyway. Does anybody really expect a big price drop by the time halo 5 roles around? If it's only $50 or so I think i'd rather just have it now. I am not a very patient man right now seeing the pretty good deals.
The ability to get Madden or Forza, and another game of your choice. I don't think you're gonna get a better deal.

Honestly man I'd get one while there is a great deal currently on it. It sounds like you keep going back and forth between the forums I've seen you post in and in all honesty even with the big price change we've seen now, I don't believe we will see another large one between the time Halo 5 releases.

Honestly man I'd get one while there is a great deal currently on it. It sounds like you keep going back and forth between the forums I've seen you post in and in all honesty even with the big price change we've seen now, I don't believe we will see another large one between the time Halo 5 releases.
Yeah I bought an og xbox for halo and the 360 for halo 3. I began setting money aside for the thing a few months back so I could buy one with cash without dipping into my savings account or putting it on a credit card. I was all excited about getting the overdrive bundle but then all these other deals started popping up. But, I'm still short on the cash having set oct 28th as the day I was going to finally bite. So I guess waiting for black friday ain't too big of a deal. I just get overly excited about some stuff. Neither forza or madden particularly interest me though. But, fifa 15 on ps4 should hold me over

So I am still trying to decide if I want to buy an Xbox One right now.  Mostly because like many of you I still have tons of 360 and PS3 games to play so investing another $400+ dollars just to play video games seems silly.  I kind of got caught up in this promo but because I have Amazon credit the only "deal" I can get is the free game.  No Madden bundles to sweeten the pot. My original thought was PS4 first then a One because of performance but when it comes to games I actually lean toward what MS currently offers and some of the future games. Never been a real fan of Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, LBP or many of Japan type games but I do LOVE Uncharted.

So the question I pose is do you think it is possible for the Xbox One to fall far enough behind that MS would just move on way before Sony does?  That may be the biggest thing I worry about.  Also, what chances this system gets a $50-100 cut within now and Holiday 2015?  Also, do many of you think the differences in performance actually impact your enjoyment of the games you play on the Xbox One?   

Is there an official XB1 thread?  Looks like these forums have been left behind since everything pinned is still 360 related, but hopefully there are some people that can help here.

Can anyone recommend storage solutions for the XB1?  The 500gb HDD is inadequate for having a bunch of games on it and re-downoading is too slow and cuts into my internet bandwidth too much.  Open to anything, but figure there are some decent solutions in the 1-2tb range that other cags have taken advantage of.  Thanks in advance!

If you mean "Move on before Sony does" as in they're fail and exit the industry there's literally no way I expect that to happen. Despite not being #1 at the moment, and the despite the fact shareholders aren't fond of Xbox Microsoft is very much committed to the it. They've spent billions of dollars over the past 10 years on the Xbox, Xbox 360, and now the Xbox One and they aren't planning on stopping anytime soon. I'm sure the Executives and CEO of the company see the long term benefits Xbox has to the company and I believe both Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer saw those same benefits which is why the division has been around for as long as it has been.

I seriously doubt we'll see an actual price cut. Now of course anything can happen and they've really done a lot of interesting choices value wise with all of these bundles we're seeing but I seriously can't see the system getting a drastic price cut in the next year. Sales aren't THAT bad and I think the recent bundles are going to give the system a HUGE boost.

Performance literally does not impact my enjoyment of the console and its games at all. I've never had a moment where I've said "Oh I wish I got the PS4 version I'm not enjoying this game because I can definitely notice the frame rate/resolution difference.

Honestly games like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 got panned by a lot of critics and some Xbox detractors for not being 1080p and not being locked at XXX FPS. I played and LOVED both of those games a lot and had a freaking blast playing them. Never once did I notice slow down or choppiness that made me cringe or think "Wow this is disappointing" and they both (Specifically Ryse) looked freaking amazing.

Same goes for other games. I played the Destiny Beta on the PS4 but decided to buy the game on my Xbox One because I like the console as a whole more. I think the Xbox One's UI blows away the PS4's and features like game DVR, and snapping are incredible and I love using them. Snapping in particularly gets even better with this coming October update and I love what they've done with it.

Is there an official XB1 thread? Looks like these forums have been left behind since everything pinned is still 360 related, but hopefully there are some people that can help here.

Can anyone recommend storage solutions for the XB1? The 500gb HDD is inadequate for having a bunch of games on it and re-downoading is too slow and cuts into my internet bandwidth too much. Open to anything, but figure there are some decent solutions in the 1-2tb range that other cags have taken advantage of. Thanks in advance!
I recommend these external hard drives to anybody who asks this question. I have the 3TB older version of it and it is simply a joy to have. I love being able to have dozens of digital games on my system and still have over 2 TB's of space left and as I've been buying a lot of digital games due to the deals on credit the space really does do wonders.

2TB is $80, 3TB is $108, 4TB is $140, and 5TB is $175.

Also have a 1TB version but since that costs $72 it's just much better to get the 2TB version for $8 more instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV2000100/dp/B00834SJS0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410321854&sr=1-2&keywords=seagate+external+hard+drive

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the feedback. When I said "move on" I was referring to a new console.
Ah, I honestly can't see Microsoft or Sony releasing new consoles for awhile. Microsoft certainly isn't going to say "Okay we dun goofed lets get a new model out the door instead" especially since they've already invested billions into R&D of the Xbox One.

(Edit) That quote came out badly formatted for some reason. :|

So I am still trying to decide if I want to buy an Xbox One right now. Mostly because like many of you I still have tons of 360 and PS3 games to play so investing another $400+ dollars just to play video games seems silly. I kind of got caught up in this promo but because I have Amazon credit the only "deal" I can get is the free game. No Madden bundles to sweeten the pot. My original thought was PS4 first then a One because of performance but when it comes to games I actually lean toward what MS currently offers and some of the future games. Never been a real fan of Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, LBP or many of Japan type games but I do LOVE Uncharted.

So the question I pose is do you think it is possible for the Xbox One to fall far enough behind that MS would just move on way before Sony does? That may be the biggest thing I worry about. Also, what chances this system gets a $50-100 cut within now and Holiday 2015? Also, do many of you think the differences in performance actually impact your enjoyment of the games you play on the Xbox One?
Since you cant get in on the madden bundle I'd wait and work on the backlog. The X1 is not going anywhere and theres already been a ton of great deals for it, each new one better than the last. Who knows what MS might come up with next.

Since you cant get in on the madden bundle I'd wait and work on the backlog. The X1 is not going anywhere and theres already been a ton of great deals for it, each new one better than the last. Who know what MS might come up with next.
This is sort of my thought right now but it changes hourly...I still have time. I would just wait on the Sunset Drive Bundle but I am not sure I actually want a white console.

It really doesn't do much different than what I've seen in iOS or Android, except the way your avatar greets you and kind of hangs out in the app. For avatar fans like me, it's a neat little perk.

I'll be interested in seeing if media streaming on Xbox One is any better than the garbage they offered on Xbox 360.
Streaming works pretty good with Plex, but I have a couple of complaints. First if you stop a show midway it has no resume, this is almost a deal breaker. And another issue I've had is for some reason it will throw an error up randomly and with no resume you have to fast forward back to your position. But with that said I have been using it quite and am really glad this feature is there.

bread's done
Back