XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better option is to have offline profiles to use when you want to do link matches, and just use a 512 card to move your profile/saves/games between whichever one you're using. I don't think your xboxes would gel too well if you tried to link up and they had the same profile for some reason. Then if you need to go online with the bedroom system for a title update for link play, you don't break everything.

[quote name='bordjon']I did this:

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

with an official ms vga cable I got at gamestop used for 10 bux - works great and I still have my original component/composite cable for when I visit family/friends. I'm tempted to cut off the vga cable right where it leaves the xbox plug just because I don't need the bulk but I've left it so far thinking I may want/need it at some point.[/quote]Wow... great find.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']You could just buy a switch like this so you can plug more component cables in at a time:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-USA-P...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196964811&sr=8-2

Or you could do like I do and just leave 1 consoles wires unplugged and dangling in the back since it never gets used (I'm talking to you PS2).[/QUOTE]
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=2

That is the switch I have and it is fully programmable with a universal remote and it comes with a remote. I haven't seen any quality loss using it with HD sources (1080i). It works great with the Harmony remote and it will automatically turn to the right source.

So I've got a fun problem.

I had my 360 hardwired to my wireless router right next to the modem and everything was great. Now I just moved into a new place with the gf and we have some issues. Her wireless NIC is broken (crashes the PC when I try to enable it in device manager) and the PC room and living room with the 360 are too far apart to run a line. The modem is currently in the PC room with my wireless router so that I can use my laptop anywhere in the house and her PC is hardwired to the router.

So here's the deal. She has the same wireless router that I do. Can I put the modem in the living room with the 360, hardwire it to Router A, then setup router B in the PC room to "catch" the signal and then hardwire both of our PCs to that router, thus leaving my laptop free to roam and my 360 on a nice nearby connection?

[quote name='yukine']I have no idea... try calling Microsoft? The only thing I can find online is someone else asking the same question over at the GameSpot forums.

My newer Elite doesn't make any beeping at all.[/QUOTE]

I saw that post as well.

Turned it on again late last night and it either resolved itself or I just can't hear it anymore. You'd have a beep as soon as you crossed the start/finish line without fail and other times. But, so far so good.

Just got back in town, and I need to download all my arcade games again. Even though I don't have that hard drive anymore, XBL should know which ones I need, right?

And it seems retarded to be able to transfer themes if they don't work afterwards, or at least don't work offline. I better get my 300 theme back.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I saw that post as well.

Turned it on again late last night and it either resolved itself or I just can't hear it anymore. You'd have a beep as soon as you crossed the start/finish line without fail and other times. But, so far so good.

Just got back in town, and I need to download all my arcade games again. Even though I don't have that hard drive anymore, XBL should know which ones I need, right?

And it seems retarded to be able to transfer themes if they don't work afterwards, or at least don't work offline. I better get my 300 theme back.[/quote]In Account Management, there's a Download History so you can just queue up all your past downloads there and get them again.

I'm stepping out of my Wii boundaries to go to the Xbox360 section. Hehe. Anyway, I don't own a 360 and my friend needs some help. He wants to connect his 360 to the internet (for Xbox Live). He doesn't have a router if that helps -- I don't know if 360 has WiFi capability, but I'm assuming it does. He said that there is a wireless adapter made by Microsoft which will let him connect to Xbox Live, etc.. but it's $100?

Just want to know if there's an alternative "cheaper" way to connect wirelessly. Thanks. :)

If he wants to go wireless Hes gonna need a router also..
He can go with a wired connection but he will have to connect directly to his modem.
or get a router and connect to that...

either way, its best to get a router

If he wants wireless, no matter what console he is using, he will need a router (unless he uses one of those crappy point-to-point bridges or something).

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']Better option is to have offline profiles to use when you want to do link matches, and just use a 512 card to move your profile/saves/games between whichever one you're using. I don't think your xboxes would gel too well if you tried to link up and they had the same profile for some reason. Then if you need to go online with the bedroom system for a title update for link play, you don't break everything.[/quote]

OK, Do you think that if I removed my profile from the living room system that I wouldn't be able to play the XBLA Games offline on that system? I'll transfer the profile once if I can play them offline without my profile but I'll transfer a lot of saves.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']In Account Management, there's a Download History so you can just queue up all your past downloads there and get them again.[/QUOTE]

Oh ho. Thanks for that one.

[quote name='nasum']
So here's the deal. She has the same wireless router that I do. Can I put the modem in the living room with the 360, hardwire it to Router A, then setup router B in the PC room to "catch" the signal and then hardwire both of our PCs to that router, thus leaving my laptop free to roam and my 360 on a nice nearby connection?[/QUOTE]

Depends on if Router B is able to be setup as a wireless bridge, what is the model?

[quote name='kill3r7']If there's a Kmart near, you can pick up a hard drive for $20.[/quote]Thanks, I'll check the clearances at the local Ks.

In the meantime, I'm still curious if it's possible to transfer profiles (including game saves & achievements) to a memory card and then back to a different hard drive.

well im hopefully getting a new 360 (gotta get it for free...no moneyz...)

and i really have no idea how to set everything up, i mean i know you gotta plug in cables bla bla bla but the wireless controller has me stumped do i like turn it on and it will work?:oops:

Yeah. The 360 will recognize the controller automatically. Wires should be easy. There's not much hardware to set up.

Live can be a bit tricky, though, depending on your situation.

yea you will need to hit the small white buttons on both the front of the 360 and on the top of the controller. the rings will start going in a circles and they will eventually detected one another from that point forward.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']So just the router? or do you need something else too?[/quote]

Just a router and ethernet cable and hes good to go.

[quote name='guinaevere']Thanks, I'll check the clearances at the local Ks.

In the meantime, I'm still curious if it's possible to transfer profiles (including game saves & achievements) to a memory card and then back to a different hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Game saves=yes.

Achievements stay with the gamertag, which you can transfer or retrieve.

I haven't personally tried recovering a GT with a memory card, but I certainly would advise against using the recover function on the console. Depending on how many games you've played, it takes forever. The last time I did it (going from Premium to Elite), it took about half an hour. Then I thought I'd like to still be able to play on the Premium, so I decided to get it back on the Premium again. I had to do the whole recover function again and it took nearly another half hour.

[quote name='Slate']OK, Do you think that if I removed my profile from the living room system that I wouldn't be able to play the XBLA Games offline on that system? I'll transfer the profile once if I can play them offline without my profile but I'll transfer a lot of saves.[/quote]

Repeat.

[quote name='guyver2077']I have a similar issue. My elite is pretty much dead. I purchased the 99 dollar circuit city plan which lets me send it in and they will issue me a gift card for what i paid. (479 + tax)

The thing about cc's plan is that it is a one time only plan. Once you use it then its done. You would have to rebuy the 360 and add the plan again.

Im not sure on what i should do. The bad thing is that i have to send in everything including my 120 gb hd.

What can i do to keep my save files? Would the transfer kit work? I still have my old 20gb hd.

If not i think i have the xsata or w.e[/quote]

any ideas on this? anyone ever had to return an elite and had to save their info somehow?

Slate, it won't work the way you want it to. Get a memory card, move your main account to it, and always have that card in whichever xbox you're playing. IIRL you can't use saves attached to a profile unless that profile is logged in.

New-ish 360 owner here:

I had the 360 for awhile before I got hooked onto Live on the 360, and the profile was the generic "player" tag.

My questions are:

1. Now that I've got my tag recovered, is there anyway to transfer my gamerscore from 'player' to my "new" tag(had the same tag on XBOX 1).

2. Is there anyway to erase the 'player' tag from the 360, after I recover my gamerscore?

3. I know that I can go back and forth between :xbox: and :360: on Live. But whenever I try to log on LIVE from the 360, I have to perform Account Recovery. Is there a way to avoid the recovery process on the 360?

Thanks

I apologize if this has been answered in an older thread, but I couldn't find anything. I suppose the subject explains it all. Does that blue XBox 360 Controller made by Hori work for a Windows PC? I like using my original 360 controller for PC games, but the D-pad is killing me. Hori makes fantastic controllers, and I would like to use it on my computer.

Guyver, much as I hate to say it, I would "temporarily" buy another 120GB HDD.

manthing:
1) Don't think so
2) Yes.
3) That's odd. You should only have to recover it once on a machine.

I think the psyclone VGA cable has a thin enough casing that you don't even have to modify it, fits an HDMI cable under it stock. Search 'em out used at Gamestop for $10. I could be wrong on the brand - search it out.

[quote name='velvet396']I think the psyclone VGA cable has a thin enough casing that you don't even have to modify it, fits an HDMI cable under it stock. Search 'em out used at Gamestop for $10. I could be wrong on the brand - search it out.[/QUOTE]

good point - yes I'd read about a cable that was thin enough but I couldn't find it so I went with the ms vga one because that's what I found for cheap - but if you don't want to hack at the cable plug casing on a ms cable this may be the option for you.

[quote name='bordjon']I did this:

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

with an official ms vga cable I got at gamestop used for 10 bux - works great and I still have my original component/composite cable for when I visit family/friends. I'm tempted to cut off the vga cable right where it leaves the xbox plug just because I don't need the bulk but I've left it so far thinking I may want/need it at some point.[/QUOTE]
I did this, but I used a Mad Catz component cable I picked up at Game Crazy for $2 used.

[quote name='ICEPICC']lol - sound is over rated anyways![/quote]
You must not have a surround sound system then. If you do, my apologies, but I don't see how you can make a comment like that if you had surround sound. Playing a game in 5.1 surround it awesome!

I had a similar problem also once I got a 360 with HDMI. I used my own HDMI cable and was curious about he sound since I'm not spending 46 bucks to buy the HDMI AV cable that has the optical connection on it. Luckily, my tv had an optical out connection which should work, haven't tried that yet. I don't understand why they didn't add an optical out on the system like the one that the PS3 has.

[quote name='scorpers']You must not have a surround sound system then. If you do, my apologies, but I don't see how you can make a comment like that if you had surround sound. Playing a game in 5.1 surround it awesome![/quote]

Its even more fun in 7.1 surround >_>.

[quote name='guyver2077']any ideas on this? anyone ever had to return an elite and had to save their info somehow?[/quote]

Would they notice if you returned it with a cheaper hard drive?

I cannot get online, someone help me. My internet is fine. My PS3 can connect fine, my 360 cannot connect online. I was downloading files to stream from PC to 360 and I guess something must have gone wrong because my 360 cannot recognize my internet connection at all. I did the whole Test Connect on the console and everything would confirmed only to fail when it gets to Xbox Live part.

I can sign in fine, but just can't connect online.

What's even worse is that I still haven't installed the stupid Media Extender thing to stream files from PC-360.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']Use an HDMI receiver.[/QUOTE]

haha I thought about this one too - should I upgrade to that nice new onkyo or sony for 400+ bux or keep my trusty ol panny all digital and spend 10 bux on a cable. I couldn't convince the wife we needed a new receiver so good ol cable hack it was - for now... ;)

[quote name='PhoenixT']Its even more fun in 7.1 surround >_>.[/quote]

Are there any games on the 360 that even support 7.1?

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']Slate, it won't work the way you want it to. Get a memory card, move your main account to it, and always have that card in whichever xbox you're playing. IIRL you can't use saves attached to a profile unless that profile is logged in.[/quote]

I said Xbox Live Arcade games, Not Saves. I want to use XBLA Games on my living room system without my main profile, Can I do it?

Before anyone asks, It is the system I originally purchased the games on but I'll transfer my profile to a memory card to use it on my other system.

Or should I just recover my profile onto my elite? Will I be able to do system link If I have the same profile on both consoles?

You'll have to be signed into live with the account that bought the games, IIRC. Unless you do the sharing trick, but I never followed how that worked, and I don't know if it will work in your situation.

HOpe someone can answer this for me. Why is it that the anime episodes I download and stream through Tversity to my 360 comes up on my hdtv like it was a regular SD channel while the random tv episode I download is coming through rather small. I know I can change the view and stretch the image but it just makes it more blocky. Just curious why the different views.

I sent in my 360 during the summer and now it's starting to crap out again. I'm wondering, if you got it back, does that give you another full year warranty (non red ring related) for general hardware issues or is it only one year from the initial day you purchased it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

It mainly depends on what you want to do with your 360. Since it looks like you are using an HDTV, using VGA will let you upscale DVDs, whereas component will not. Also, if you want to use 1080p if you decide to get the HD DVD addon, you will need to use VGA to do so if you don't have HDMI, as most TVs will not accept 1080p over component.

Thanks. My PS3 is taking up my HDMI slot so those two were the only options left. I'll probably watch DVDs and stuff on the PS3 so it looks like I don't have to worry about upscaling and my TV can't do 1080p so no worries there either. It looks like I'll just get whichever cable is cheaper on Monoprice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back