XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='torifile']Costco is not 90 days on electronics. It's lifetime on electronics and 90 days ONLY on t.v.s, iPods and cell phones. Everything else, and I mean everything, is lifetime. In other words, Xboxs are lifetime. The items that are 90 days have a big sticker on them indicating that.[/quote]

Agreed, I bought a DVD/ VCR combo a few years back for $300. After 2 years the price went down to $100 and my combo was breaking (would suck in the VHS tape and rip it). So I went back, NO BOX, NO MANUAL, NO RECEIPT, NO EXCUSES, just brought the combo itself back, got my $300 dollars back, got the one for $100 and pocketed the $200. w00t w00t I :rofl:Costco!!!

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you buy it from Best Buy and get the extended replacement plan from Best Buy.

If it breaks (and mine has three times), you get to replace the system with a BRAND NEW one, with all the latest hardware, right off the shelf. Plus, if the system receives a price drop during that time, you get that money back (I'd put it into extending my warranty even further if I were you). Plus, there's almost no downtime, since all you have to do is drive down to Best Buy to replace it (no shipping, no coffins, no getting a refurbished unit back).

Wait until Meijer's has one of their 15%-30% off one general merch item sales and buy it there. Then sign up for the Microsoft warrenty.

If you don't live near a Meijer's, BB is the best route I'd say since they have warrenty offers. All you have to do is had the RROD to them and get a new one. A lot quicker than waiting for a coffin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Scratchedxboxdisc.jpg (wont let me insert img)

Long story short: ^ is what has happened to 4 of my discs (GoW, GH II twice!!!, Rainbow Six Vegas, COD4).

Now for the info: I bought my original xbox 360 in dec. 2006. My 360 started scratching my discs about half a year ago, so I called up MS and let them know. They sent me the box to ship my 360 in etc, and I got a new unit at no cost. I checked the date, that was Oct. 4th when my unit was repaired.

So I got my new box... which now has the same problem. I called them up, and they said consoles only have a 90 day warranty from repair, and my warranty expired Jan 6th. And just last week my 360 scratched COD4 to hell. So any suggestions on what I can do? They have said they want me to pay $99 for the repair as its no longer under warranty. And I think that's BS becuase my new 360 started malfunctioning RIGHT after their warrnty expired.

Also, onl GoW is convered under their "20 dollar replacement disc" program... is there any way I can have GHII/R6 Vegas/COD4 replaced?

edit: this probably wont help me or anyone else with this problem (for a few years at least) but you could fill out this:
http://www.wcclaw.com/CM/ClassActions/X-Box-360-Investigation.asp

[quote name='hec204']Lifetime as in I can go back to the store 4 years later and get a refund or exchange?[/QUOTE]
That's what they say and I have no reason not to believe them.

Do you move the 360 when it plays discs? Moving it (AT ALL) when it is running and reading info from a disc will result in circular scratches on the disc. If you have ever moved your 360 while it was using a disc drive, I really doubt ti was the systems fault...

I have never even so much as NUDGED the console while the game is playing. In fact I haven't even moved the console since I plugged it into my entertainment center, it gets lots of air and space.

It IS the console. If you didn't see, this already happened to me, so I got a free repair, and now its happened AGAIN. Now they are refusing to repair it for free even though they sent me a faulty console.

So let me get this straight, many of you are paying $60 extra at best buy just to avoid the inconvenience of a coffin IF it breaks? Doesn't seem very CAGy.....

im planning to get an xbox 360 elite, i already have a xbox 360 pro.. if i get the elite will all my saves and gamer scores be able to get on the new hard drive? or will i have to start all over??

[quote name='EscapeDummy']I have never even so much as NUDGED the console while the game is playing. In fact I haven't even moved the console since I plugged it into my entertainment center, it gets lots of air and space.

It IS the console. If you didn't see, this already happened to me, so I got a free repair, and now its happened AGAIN. Now they are refusing to repair it for free even though they sent me a faulty console.[/quote]

Don't stop fighting them. I went through six consoles before I got one that actually worked. Just keep arguing/ asked to speak to managers, and then ask for their managers. They'll probably compensate you eventually.

Only bad news is, MS no longer includes "M" rated games in their replacement program. Apparently, some kids had been gatting their hands on "M" rated games, and thier parents (of course) blamed something completely harmless.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Don't stop fighting them. I went through six consoles before I got one that actually worked. Just keep arguing/ asked to speak to managers, and then ask for their managers. They'll probably compensate you eventually.

Only bad news is, MS no longer includes "M" rated games in their replacement program. Apparently, some kids had been gatting their hands on "M" rated games, and thier parents (of course) blamed something completely harmless.[/quote]

So get this. I took your advice, and I'm not backing down now utnil I see some results. So I called a guy, talked to his supervisor. The supervisor could only offer me a 25% discount but "could not override the out-of-date repair request" so I asked him for his supervisor. They gave me to a non xbox #. I called them, and they sent me to another Microsoft #.

That number is only open monday through thursday, so I recalled the first microsoft number. They said they'd make me a repair order, and I had to call 1800 4MY XBOX again. So I called AGAIN... at this point im pretty frustrated. Now when I talk to the automated voice message and give my last name, it said "you have a request order, would you like to speak with a supervisor?" so I thought, "thank god, finally someone who can help." ...then I waited on hold for 22 minutes.

I called again right after, this time waiting "only" 15 minutes. Some lady picked up the phone. I explained the problem but she said, "I'm sorry sir but all of the supervisors are actually busy." WTF can I do? The supervisors straight up wont talk to me (tried to lead me on a phone wild goose chase, put me on hold at least 15 mins), and the lower-downs claim the best they can do is a 25% discount.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']Do you move the 360 when it plays discs? Moving it (AT ALL) when it is running and reading info from a disc will result in circular scratches on the disc. If you have ever moved your 360 while it was using a disc drive, I really doubt ti was the systems fault...[/QUOTE]
This simply isn't true, and it makes me sad to see people so adamantly defending Microsoft for something they fucked up. Microsoft could have put stablers around the DVD drive, and they DIDN'T. We should have MS's head on a pike for this.

Anyways, to test this theory I put my sneak king title in, started loading up some levels, and tried moving the box while the drive was running full speed. I found I was able to nudge and shift the console without causing any scratches. I was too scarred of scratching the disk to do any more than nudge and shift.

The fact that people are reporting scratched disks after absolutely no nudging at all tells me it's a defect in craftmanship.

I hope the OP is able to get some justice from Microsoft out of this.

[quote name='EscapeDummy']So get this. I took your advice, and I'm not backing down now utnil I see some results. So I called a guy, talked to his supervisor. The supervisor could only offer me a 25% discount but "could not override the out-of-date repair request" so I asked him for his supervisor. They gave me to a non xbox #. I called them, and they sent me to another Microsoft #.

That number is only open monday through thursday, so I recalled the first microsoft number. They said they'd make me a repair order, and I had to call 1800 4MY XBOX again. So I called AGAIN... at this point im pretty frustrated. Now when I talk to the automated voice message and give my last name, it said "you have a request order, would you like to speak with a supervisor?" so I thought, "thank god, finally someone who can help." ...then I waited on hold for 22 minutes.

I called again right after, this time waiting "only" 15 minutes. Some lady picked up the phone. I explained the problem but she said, "I'm sorry sir but all of the supervisors are actually busy." WTF can I do? The supervisors straight up wont talk to me (tried to lead me on a phone wild goose chase, put me on hold at least 15 mins), and the lower-downs claim the best they can do is a 25% discount.[/quote]
Just keep fighting. It's not going to be easy, or fast, but it will happen sooner or later. I just kept calling and arguing until they refferred me to a supervisor at the repair center. I now have my own "personal" helpline that will connect me to said supervisor if I ever have another problem.

If it's out of warranty for all but the RRoD (which is Microsoft's excuse for not fixing it) and you're willing to test your luck that it won't RRoD again, there were some mods out there where you put pieces of foam or something soft (like a swatch cut from microfiber cloth) up on the chassis around where the disc spins. Discs are getting scratched because they're not spinning parrelel. You might have a crooked drive.

But if you can prove your new system is in fact a completely different 360, you could always use that as your ammo. Tell them they gave you a defective replacement system, plain and simple. If they keep shitting on you, Microsoft's Xbox division is registered with the Better Business Bureau, so you could file a complaint with them and they'll muscle you towards a replacement system.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']If it's out of warranty for all but the RRoD (which is Microsoft's excuse for not fixing it) and you're willing to test your luck that it won't RRoD again, there were some mods out there where you put pieces of foam or something soft (like a swatch cut from microfiber cloth) up on the chassis around where the disc spins. Discs are getting scratched because they're not spinning parrelel. You might have a crooked drive.

But if you can prove your new system is in fact a completely different 360, you could always use that as your ammo. Tell them they gave you a defective replacement system, plain and simple. If they keep shitting on you, Microsoft's Xbox division is registered with the Better Business Bureau, so you could file a complaint with them and they'll muscle you towards a replacement system.[/quote]

I'm going to call again, soon, but when I said that the first time, they just said "we're sorry your xbox is out of warranty starting jan. 6th, blah blah." In fact, the person actually said "well we sent you a different xbox so *insert excuse here*"
And how serious is the complaint w/ the BBB? Would it be sort of a 'last resort' tactic? And finally, is it just bad luck, or are they putting me on hold for ridiculous amoutns of time (23 minutes just a few hrs ago) because they know I mean business? I mean, the first time my experience was fine, but this time their customer service is HORRIBLE.

This may have been posted, but this thread is so long...anyway, recently when playing games, there will be small dots (usually white, but not always) across either the majority or entirety of the screen. Is this something fixable or am I fucked?

[quote name='Troopa']I'm seriously considering a purchase of the 360 and I have a few questions that I hope CAG can help me with.

1. Where should I buy it? Do you know of any good deals going on right now?

2. If I buy it at some place like Best Buy, should I also buy their hardware warranty? Or does Microsoft's warranty tend to cover most problems?

3. How can I tell if my Xbox has the newer chipset that doesn't have the red rings or overheating problems? I've heard that you can tell by the serial number on the box, but I'm not sure how.

4. Since I don't have a HDTV, I can use my PC CRT monitor as long as I buy the VGA cables, right?

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Don't do it. I regret buying this piece of shit technology. Your XBOX will break. You will have to jump through hoops to get it fixed. Your best bet is to wait until the newest XBOX comes out and check reviews to see if the new chipset and whatnot fix the problem.

I don't know if this is a silly question or not but I'll ask it. Sometimes the xbox logo button on the controller will light up 2 lights (opposite of each other) and they will spin around. Anyone know why its doing this?

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']I don't know if this is a silly question or not but I'll ask it. Sometimes the xbox logo button on the controller will light up 2 lights (opposite of each other) and they will spin around. Anyone know why its doing this?[/quote]

I believe that's the indication that your battery pak is about to die and needs to be recharged.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']I don't know if this is a silly question or not but I'll ask it. Sometimes the xbox logo button on the controller will light up 2 lights (opposite of each other) and they will spin around. Anyone know why its doing this?[/quote]The battery is low. I think it also does it when a friend signs on, but I'm not too sure on that. It depends on if it does it for an extended period, then it's the former for sure.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Its not the battery because the batteries are at half capacity.[/quote]The lights will still spin at half-battery capacity, it's just that the interval gets shorter the less juice you have in it. Like I said, it may also be tied to when friends sign on so it's momentary and ties in to when friends sign on (in case you have notifications turned off) then it lights up.

I believe the demo for the new Burnout game might have online play, I could be wrong though.

I thought the Stranglehold demo was pretty good .

I have a question..

I just bought and Xbox 360 Pro and set up my Xbox Live account and all that stuff on it and played some games.

However, I'm going to buy the 120GB HD tomorrow and sell the 20GB.
So my question is, will formatting the 20GB HD using the Format option make it safe to sell to another person, without my info on there, and also allow them to use it as if it were never touched?

Thanks.
(and before anyone asks, Elites are sold out everywhere)

If I choose the Format option in the system menu, will it:

1. Erase all of my Live account info from the Hard Drive
2. Make it so I can sell it to someone else, and it works as a new hard drive in their system, as if nobody used it.

Story version:
I bought a 360 Pro a couple days and setup my Live account and played some games, but I'm wanting the 120gb hard drive, so I am buying one tomorrow.

To make up for some cost, I'm selling my 20gb on ebay or something, and I wanna make sure that formatting it through the system will erase all my account data, and make sure the new user can simply plug-n-play the hard drive without a problem. Do I have anything to worry about?

I believe that if you use the cable that comes with the 120GB hard drive to transfer everything over from the 20GB it will automatically format the 20GB drive.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I believe that if you use the cable that comes with the 120GB hard drive to transfer everything over from the 20GB it will automatically format the 20GB drive.[/quote]It does.

I've been through the migration process with my 120GB drive, and it does move everything from the old drive to the new one. The 20GB is blank when you're done with it.

The instructions that come with it tell you how to hook up the two drives and you boot up off the included CD. Come back in an hour or so and it's all done.

so i'm have trouble with my 360 recognizing some songs on my ipod, namely ones i just downloaded from itunes. is there a format i can change them to so my 360 will play them? i download in AIFF format, but most of my music is burned. any help is appreciated...

In iTunes, select your downloaded songs, then go to Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3. You should be able to play the converted files on the 360. Just remember to replace them on your iPod.

This should work with iTunes Plus songs. Older songs that are still copy-protected won't let you convert them directly. You'll have to burn them to a CD and then rip them.

I recently purchased an official MS vga for 13$ in anticipation of me getting an HD set! Good pricing and my current financial situation get me into a 42 inch lg plasma, blah blah details aren't important, maybe they are, 42pc5d.

Anyways, to my question, I've had the regular composite/component and i've never used a vga cable before on a system so i'm wondering how audio works. Will the input have connectors for my white/red stereo audio? or do i need another source, ie a set of speakers, reciever?

(Obviously i would use HDMI if I had a system with HDMI, nov 2006 and running strong! never a freeze up!)

It comes with the Red/White cables attached. You can also use your own(if you have one) toslink cable for a digital audio connection.

[quote name='metaly']In iTunes, select your downloaded songs, then go to Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3. You should be able to play the converted files on the 360. Just remember to replace them on your iPod.

This should work with iTunes Plus songs. Older songs that are still copy-protected won't let you convert them directly. You'll have to burn them to a CD and then rip them.[/quote]

the only option it gives me is to convert to AIFF, but it can't, because it's AAC protected. anyway around this?

If you go into preferences/settings under Advanced > Importing, you can change the importer to whatever you want. (AIFF/MP3/etc.)

It sounds like you have protected files, though, so you'll have to use the CD method.

Yeah, I was disappointed that the 360 doesn't even read the iTunes plus files natively, even with that optional AAC codec download.

[quote name='JnJosh']what i mean is, is there usually an input for audio through the tv itself or do i need another source[/QUOTE]

Most likely, even if you need an adapter like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

It just depends on the input your TV has.

However, one question to ask, does your TV support a 360 compatible widescreen resolution over VGA? For instance, my Toshiba LCD's max resolution over VGA is 1024 x 768 and it was manufactured a month and a half ago.

MjC

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back