CAG Fighter Fighting Game Matchmaking - SSFIV AE Games with Gold in June, Skullgirls Encore (free update) Out Now!

[quote name='GuardianE']I think the lack of Spectator Mode really killed things for a lot of people in the last game. So glad to finally have it in! I really hope there aren't any hitches at launch with the lobby system, like with MK.[/QUOTE]

Yea..at times it felt like we were trying to play each other over dial up :lol: I'm looking forward to trying out some new team combos with the additional characters. Strider will definitely be in one of them!

And now apparently Dorm can put down multiple flame carpets? Terrifying.

Least they disappear on hit now! I'm pretty stoked about that.

You guys eyeballing any of the new characters? I'm stoked about Nova.

GGs last night to Guardian in Marvel & Joe in BBCS.

[quote name='IanKazimer']And now apparently Dorm can put down multiple flame carpets? Terrifying.

You guys eyeballing any of the new characters? I'm stoked about Nova.[/QUOTE]
I'm very interested in trying out Dr. Strange, Nova, Ghostrider, & Firebrand.

I'm going to be trying a bunch of new combinations since my team (Team Best Friends + Wesker) won't really work anymore. I'm very interested in Ghost Rider/Nemesis & possibly Doom.

[quote name='IanKazimer']And now apparently Dorm can put down multiple flame carpets? Terrifying.

You guys eyeballing any of the new characters? I'm stoked about Nova.[/QUOTE]

They do, they do. Thank God for that.

I'm super excited about Phoenix Wright and Vergil. I'll mess around with the other characters, but I'll try taking these guys a bit more seriously.

[quote name='MtlTom']GGs last night to Guardian in Marvel & Joe in BBCS.

I'm very interested in trying out Dr. Strange, Nova, Ghostrider, & Firebrand.

I'm going to be trying a bunch of new combinations since my team (Team Best Friends + Wesker) won't really work anymore. I'm very interested in Ghost Rider/Nemesis & possibly Doom.[/QUOTE]

Correction. Your team isn't herp derp broken anymore. ;) It's still going to work well in Ultimate if you actually stick with the characters.

GGs to both you and Joe.

Latest Marvel Madness by Max featuring gameplay of Vergil, Iron Fist, and Hawkeye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgRrEdwPi0

They took away She-Hulk's slide and gave it to Hawkeye. Wtf?

[quote name='GuardianE']
Correction. Your team isn't herp derp broken anymore. ;) It's still going to work well in Ultimate if you actually stick with the characters.[/QUOTE]
This is true. I'll probably still play those characters, just maybe not in that combination. Most of the combos are either going to change or not be possible with hitstun, scaling, and certain special move changes.

After watching the video, that Iron Fist assist is serious business. The charge time change is really noticeable with Hulk. Vergil also keep looks better every time I see match footage of him, maybe I should counterpick Guardian's Dante with him ;)

Speaking of changes, here are more of them:

UMVC3 Capcom Characters Change Log.

Most of the changes seem pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things, except the Zero health buff. Even if it is only a 30K increase, fuck that character.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MtlTom']This is true. I'll probably still play those characters, just maybe not in that combination. Most of the combos are either going to change or not be possible with hitstun, scaling, and certain special move changes.

After watching the video, that Iron Fist assist is serious business. The charge time change is really noticeable with Hulk. Vergil also keep looks better every time I see match footage of him, maybe I should counterpick Guardian's Dante with him ;)

Speaking of changes, here are more of them:

UMVC3 Capcom Characters Change Log.

Most of the changes seem pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things, except the Zero health buff. Even if it is only a 30K increase, fuck that character.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying that BFF still works and it's still good, and new stuff will be discovered. The fact that they both remain solid characters despite all the nerfs show just how ridiculous they were before. Wolverine had the best teleport mixup in the entire game, and he didn't even have a teleport.

Akuma deserves everything he got. Zero needed nerfs, not buffs, so that health buff is plain dumb. I don't like the Trish air move nerf. Morrigan buffs look great, but she's strongly hurt by the general air dash nerf.

Really weird that Chun Li's head stomp OTGs. I wonder how that's going to work.

The Dante changes are really really vague. I know that this is only a partial changelog, but his are easily the least clear out of all of them.

Dante
- Increased knockback for all moves.
- Adjusted hit stun time and float heights for all moves.
- Decreased minimum damage scaling on normal and special attacks.
- Decreased hitbox size of L and M.
- Lowered float of Clay Pigeon.
- Decreased cancel time during startup of Bold Move.
- Commands that were performed through repetitve joystick motions can now be done with a single additional button press.
- Increased invincibility frame startup on The Hammer, and decreased total invincibility frames.
- Decreased damage of Volcano-Beehive.
- Slightly increased horizontal knockback from Beehive.
- During Devil Trigger, Dante can now triple jump and double air dash.
- Additional hits can be added to Million Dollars through rapid buttons presses.

The size of the changelog is deceptive, considering how much they need to elaborate. Every single move has apparently been adjusted and changed in some way. The increased knockback for all moves is really unnecessary. Same with the decreased cancel time on Bold Move, and decreased damage from Volcano-Beehive, considering its limited application as a combo ender (the general damage scaling nerf works against it as well, meaning that Volcano-Beehive is essentially double nerfed).

Hammer got the nerfs it needed, and they made adjustments to remove the Clay Pigeon loop, but a lot of the rest is just excessive. It makes Bold Cancel Dante combos harder than they were, and by the scope of the entire Marvel roster, Dante's combos were already harder than 80% of the cast, and now they've reduced the meter gain and damage benefits of the combo.

I guess I'll have to wait until I can play the adjusted Dante with a Fightpad to really see how much this changes things. His general strategy and combos seem to be the same. The timing just seems stricter overall, and without as much return.

I was kind of interested in Dante's double input moves being converted into double taps from a sheer accessibility standpoint. Everything else on his list (Hammer nerf aside) seems like a bit much. Even though I've been lit up by a number of Dantes, there's no denying that he has to put in a lot of work for those combos.

I'm still sad about Tron's j.H knockback on paper, but I'm reserving judgment until I actually have her in my hands. I still want her to work.

I actually started playing Zero, Spencer, Wesker a few weeks ago to varying rates of success. I feel like they'll hold up in UMvC. Wesker barely seems different at all, and though I won't argue with Zero getting more health, I don't think he needed it either.

My buddy plays a pretty mean Hulk/Cap team already. I'm starting to get a little nervous about those two. Least Hulk can still be zoned pretty effectively.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I was kind of interested in Dante's double input moves being converted into double taps from a sheer accessibility standpoint. Everything else on his list (Hammer nerf aside) seems like a bit much. Even though I've been lit up by a number of Dantes, there's no denying that he has to put in a lot of work for those combos.

I'm still sad about Tron's j.H knockback on paper, but I'm reserving judgment until I actually have her in my hands. I still want her to work.

I actually started playing Zero, Spencer, Wesker a few weeks ago to varying rates of success. I feel like they'll hold up in UMvC. Wesker barely seems different at all, and though I won't argue with Zero getting more health, I don't think he needed it either.

My buddy plays a pretty mean Hulk/Cap team already. I'm starting to get a little nervous about those two. Least Hulk can still be zoned pretty effectively.[/QUOTE]

For me, it's frustrating because I rarely messed up the double motions. I more often screwed up the Bold Cancel, which they're making harder. I might have to switch my Morrigan's assist to meter building now that it's harder overall to generate meter now.

I actually think that Tron was much better than people made her out to be in MvC3. She wasn't just an assist character. She had a lot of potential that only a few people realized (Clakey D started it, Flash Metroid and PR Balrog kept it going). Her other air moves, including her airthrow, are actually really good, and lead to monstrous combos, so I wouldn't be too too concerned over the j.H knockback. I think Tron's viability is going to depend on how much those changes effect her corner combos. I don't really use Tron, so I have no idea.

Ugggggggh, Zero. That's a good team. I still think Zero was hidden top tier in MvC3 (J.Wong thinks so too) and is going to be top tier in UMvC3. Wesker does pretty much play the same as far as I could tell. They changed some of his combo extension with the Samurai Edge, I think. The big perks for him now are being able to teleport cancel Cobra Strike, and the sunglasses buffs. Spencer is still Spencer. I'm sure the X-Factor nerfs have changed some of his comeback potential, but he has faster ziplines and remains otherwise almost untouched. Quicker Armor Piercer means it'll be easier to combo into off of the overhead, or off of OTG zipline, j.S.

Cap's going to be a beast in Ultimate. A lot of his old loops don't work anymore, but all of his new stuff is better anyway. I'm going to play around with him a little.

For sure. I picked up Tron out of character loyalty and loved finding different ways to branch out from her combos. Watched Flash pick up a lot out of airthrows and j.M. In all honesty this will probably be good for me, as j.H crossups only work for so long. I'm sure I'll still draw from my Ammy, Tron, Wesker, Zero character pool.

I'm sure everyone's gonna be on the Vergil bandwagon for a while too. I just have a penchant for teleporters, and he looks to be the perfect amount of Dante + Wesker for me to really get into. My love for the franchise was spurned when I realized I just lacked the dexterity to run a good Dante.

I haven't gotten a chance to play him yet, but Nova looks pretty damned stable to me. Definite anchor material there. Curious to see how his red life feed works too; might not necessarily be a bad thing if his assist gets nailed a couple of times in the long run.

More I talk about this, the more stoked I'm getting. I'm trying not to read too far into a lot of the changes right now; I think I just need to start fresh when the game drops.

Sidenote: If Frank keeps his Real Mega Buster and Servbot head throw hypers from TvC, I'm totally running Zero, Tron, Frank for the rest of my life.

Other sidenote: I need to jump on to play with you guys more often. The rust. It's thick.

[quote name='IanKazimer']For sure. I picked up Tron out of character loyalty and loved finding different ways to branch out from her combos. Watched Flash pick up a lot out of airthrows and j.M. In all honesty this will probably be good for me, as j.H crossups only work for so long. I'm sure I'll still draw from my Ammy, Tron, Wesker, Zero character pool.

I'm sure everyone's gonna be on the Vergil bandwagon for a while too. I just have a penchant for teleporters, and he looks to be the perfect amount of Dante + Wesker for me to really get into. My love for the franchise was spurned when I realized I just lacked the dexterity to run a good Dante.

I haven't gotten a chance to play him yet, but Nova looks pretty damned stable to me. Definite anchor material there. Curious to see how his red life feed works too; might not necessarily be a bad thing if his assist gets nailed a couple of times in the long run.

More I talk about this, the more stoked I'm getting. I'm trying not to read too far into a lot of the changes right now; I think I just need to start fresh when the game drops.

Sidenote: If Frank keeps his Real Mega Buster and Servbot head throw hypers from TvC, I'm totally running Zero, Tron, Frank for the rest of my life.

Other sidenote: I need to jump on to play with you guys more often. The rust. It's thick.[/QUOTE]

I have a lot of respect for people that are going to stick with Tron in Ultimate despite the Gustaff Fire nerf. It weeds out people who like her as a character and people who just liked having her assist replace their block. We'll be seeing a lot less of her in tournament play, I think, but only time will tell. Viscant certainly won't be choosing her. :p

Vergil looks really strong and I can't wait to try him out. He's going to be super popular (and rightfully so) in the beginning of the game at least. The only downside I saw was lack of airdash in non-DT, his health, and his teleport looks super slow. Otherwise, he can do a lot of stuff that Dante can do without Bold Cancels and without rekkas.

I agree about Nova. I was telling Tom this before. Nova looks like Marvel Wesker with different mobility options. Nothing fancy. Hits hard, has a good set of Hypers and relaunch options, strong ranged normals with plenty of stun to hitconfirm.

I like the character/series loyalty for MegaMan. Dante is like that for me. Even if they crippled him and I couldn't do anything, I'd still use him, especially in light on DmC's development.

I'm with you, man. The closer we get to lauch, the more I get obsessed with this game. I just want it already!

I am really excited for the new game. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of new teams everyone will come up with. I'm looking forward to trying out most of the new characters. The only ones that don't really excite me are Iron Fist and Frank West. The first game I never really found a team that I was completely happy with so hopefully the new characters will fill some spots. Dr Strange, Strider, and Nova are the ones I'm looking forward to trying out the most.

IanKazimer send me a friend request on live and I'd be happy to play some matches.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I was kind of interested in Dante's double input moves being converted into double taps from a sheer accessibility standpoint. Everything else on his list (Hammer nerf aside) seems like a bit much. Even though I've been lit up by a number of Dantes, there's no denying that he has to put in a lot of work for those combos.[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%. I can do rekkas pretty easy in other games but the timing on a lot of Dante's double inputs were weird. I'm more inclined to try him out now, although I don't know if he'd be someone I stick with.

[quote name='IanKazimer']
I actually started playing Zero, Spencer, Wesker a few weeks ago to varying rates of success. I feel like they'll hold up in UMvC. Wesker barely seems different at all, and though I won't argue with Zero getting more health, I don't think he needed it either.[/QUOTE]
God damnit, I hate you. J/k it'll be nice to have someone to practice Zero with. BS played him when the game first dropped and he was terrifying. Speaking of, I hope he'll be getting UMVC3.

It kind of seems like most of the character & system changes (obviously with some exceptions) were to get rid of a lot of the really stupid herp derp stuff. Tron will still be really solid, you just won't see her on teams strictly in an assist roll or getting away with silly random stuff.

I think right now people are kind of sleeping on the new Ryu. He's already a really solid character (just look at Chris G), and I think his few changes might really help him out. Especially with the Akuma nerfs, it wouldn't be too far out the realm of possibility you might see him on some teams that used to have Akuma.

[quote name='Kensei']I am really excited for the new game. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of new teams everyone will come up with. I'm looking forward to trying out most of the new characters. The only ones that don't really excite me are Iron Fist and Frank West. The first game I never really found a team that I was completely happy with so hopefully the new characters will fill some spots. Dr Strange, Strider, and Nova are the ones I'm looking forward to trying out the most.
[/QUOTE]

AMEN! I never found a team I was super excited with, which is a big part of the reason I ended up playing Team BFF + Zack Morris.

I'm ready for a fresh start. I'm super excited about the new game & really looking forward with experimenting with some new combinations.

Haha, my Zero's far from where I want him to be. You don't have much to worry about. What nights do you guys usually play again? Or is it just whenever? I feel like I need to pry myself away from Arkham City and Deus Ex's DLC and bust out the fightstick.

See that Darkstalkers is hitting PSN as a Classic title? I seriously wish they'd just take their PSP resources and kick out an arcade title with online functionality. I miss that game SO MUCH.

Edit: Tom. Your avatar is incredible.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Haha, my Zero's far from where I want him to be. You don't have much to worry about. What nights do you guys usually play again? Or is it just whenever? I feel like I need to pry myself away from Arkham City and Deus Ex's DLC and bust out the fightstick.

See that Darkstalkers is hitting PSN as a Classic title? I seriously wish they'd just take their PSP resources and kick out an arcade title with online functionality. I miss that game SO MUCH.

Edit: Tom. Your avatar is incredible.[/QUOTE]

We usually play some manner of fighting game on wednesday nights starting at around 8:00-9:00pm EST until whenever, but I've been playing almost every day recently out of obsession. I have you on my friends list, feel free to shoot me a message anytime.

I saw the Darkstalkers news today! It's too bad that it's like the Alpha series and just being put on PSN and PSP.

[quote name='MtlTom']God damnit, I hate you. J/k it'll be nice to have someone to practice Zero with. BS played him when the game first dropped and he was terrifying. Speaking of, I hope he'll be getting UMVC3...

I think right now people are kind of sleeping on the new Ryu. He's already a really solid character (just look at Chris G), and I think his few changes might really help him out. Especially with the Akuma nerfs, it wouldn't be too far out the realm of possibility you might see him on some teams that used to have Akuma.

AMEN! I never found a team I was super excited with, which is a big part of the reason I ended up playing Team BFF + Zack Morris.

I'm ready for a fresh start. I'm super excited about the new game & really looking forward with experimenting with some new combinations.[/QUOTE]

bs is getting it, I'm almost positive. He already said he might use Vergil and Zero.

Ryu actually does look good, but I want to see more on his Denjin mode. The damage bonuses didn't really seem enough to justify the "Lvl2" Hyper. Maybe upon tagout for a Dejin assist. The mere fact that he can wavedash properly, and combo off of overhead now is a huge deal. I've played around with him a good deal. But I don't know if a lot of people that used Akuma will switch to Ryu. They mostly used Akuma for anchor capabilities and assist functionality. Ryu's assist just functions differently. There's probably another assist alternative that would work similarly. I guess we'll see.

Hopefully some of the new characters appeal to you. I'm of the belief that you can make any team work as long as experiment with the same team long enough. You only become comfortable with strong combinations and techniques, dirty gimmicks and tricks, by playing a team in the long term. A lot of the game is reactionary, and knowing what your character is capable of doing at any given moment to get out of danger or capitalize on something. Character knowledge makes all the difference there.

I feel the same about How I could never find the right team that worked well or felt comfortable using.

I really like how Nova, firebrand and Iron fist play so Im excited to see how well they work with my previous characters. (I still think PW looks stupid)

I've not given up hope on a new Darkstalkers in the near future, I have a feeling that we will definitely see something for DS and Alpha SF in the same vein as MCV2 and SF3:OE

[quote name='joe2187']I feel the same about How I could never find the right team that worked well or felt comfortable using.

I really like how Nova, firebrand and Iron fist play so Im excited to see how well they work with my previous characters. (I still think PW looks stupid)

I've not given up hope on a new Darkstalkers in the near future, I have a feeling that we will definitely see something for DS and Alpha SF in the same vein as MCV2 and SF3:OE[/QUOTE]

It's okay if you think he looks stupid. He'll still send your characters to jail. ;)

It's true that any team can win if you work hard enough. There are some that just have a better synergy than others and I never found a good combination with the characters I like to play.

[quote name='IanKazimer']
Edit: Tom. Your avatar is incredible.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Its actually a shirt from this site. I thought it was pretty clever.

[quote name='GuardianE']Hopefully some of the new characters appeal to you. I'm of the belief that you can make any team work as long as experiment with the same team long enough. You only become comfortable with strong combinations and techniques, dirty gimmicks and tricks, by playing a team in the long term. A lot of the game is reactionary, and knowing what your character is capable of doing at any given moment to get out of danger or capitalize on something. Character knowledge makes all the difference there.[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%. I feel like I've gotten a lot better & most of the matches we play get down to the last characters but I just can't clutch it out consistently. Don't get me wrong at all, I have a ton of fun playing the game but it also makes me super salty (in a good way I guess?).

I know we've talked about this before but spectator mode has helped me considerably in other games. Being able to watch the opponent you just lost to in another match helps in picking out playstyles, setups, gimmicks, etc. You can also see first hand out other people approach situations & get ideas. Match videos obviously serve a similar purpose, but being able to pick something out and apply to immediately is much more beneficial IMO. Plus, lets be honest - bouncing license cards are boring as fuck.

Max's next change video is up too. This one has Phoenix, Captain America, Deadpool, Iron Man, & Taskmaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdWrNyjoVU

My quick thoughts:
- Phoenix is still going to be fairly. Not being able to teleport after fireballs seems like a big deal. She still has a lot of her tools, but there's obviously going to be less randomness.
- It's been said before, but Captain America is going to be a beast. OTG shield slash is a huge deal.
- Deadpool kind of seems the same to me.
- I'm intrigued by Iron Man. For me personally, I don't know if his air mobility is going to be better or worse. His combos always felt weird to me, & it seems like it might be even worse. Some of the changes look promising though.
- Taskmaster nerfs are nice, but I think he'll still do OK. He's not going to be able to get stupid damage so free anymore with his scaling and hyper combo changes, but he still has a strong set of tools.

[quote name='MtlTom']I agree 100%. I feel like I've gotten a lot better & most of the matches we play get down to the last characters but I just can't clutch it out consistently. Don't get me wrong at all, I have a ton of fun playing the game but it also makes me super salty (in a good way I guess?).

I know we've talked about this before but spectator mode has helped me considerably in other games. Being able to watch the opponent you just lost to in another match helps in picking out playstyles, setups, gimmicks, etc. You can also see first hand out other people approach situations & get ideas. Match videos obviously serve a similar purpose, but being able to pick something out and apply to immediately is much more beneficial IMO. Plus, lets be honest - bouncing license cards are boring as fuck.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, are you implying that I only win by clutching it out? ;)

Anyway, you've gotten a lot better for sure, man. But in a game with touch of death combos, happy birthdays, and X-Factor, the entire match is "clutching it out." Even a Perfect was seconds away from a loss. When you can lose a character in a matter of 3 in-game seconds, I think that improvisation is just as important as having a gameplan. I guess that's what I mean about knowing all your options, and that's harder to do when switching characters around. But I don't mean to be preachy or anything, it's just my opinion. Looks like you've just got to find a team that appeals to you.

Totally agreed about spectator mode. It'll make playing MvC3 in a group a million times better.

Thanks for the video post. I still think Phoenix is okay. There are just more prevalent countermeasures, which ensure that everyone has SOME answer to an otherwise hopeless match.

Next Marvel Madness Gameplay Video by Max:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBghxQ5ZWE

[quote name='Kensei']It's true that any team can win if you work hard enough. There are some that just have a better synergy than others and I never found a good combination with the characters I like to play.[/QUOTE]

I agree that some teams have inherently better synergy than others. It just works out that way. But even so, I feel like there can be so much untapped potential when looking at character pairs. I think some of your teams do have good synergy, though the way they play might not fit your personal style.

Wesker, Spencer, Taskmaster-
I think this is a team with great synergy. Each assist complements the others very well. Taskmaster Arrows are good for approach options and setup Wesker teleport crossups. Wesker gunshot provides OTG opportunities, but more importantly allows for unblockable setups for BOTH of his partners. Spencer's assist can catch a lot of unsuspecting prey or be used as a combo extender. And while each character is enhanced by the others, each one is also pretty self sufficient, able to OTG/relaunch on their own, and pull the strong anchor card. How does this team not have good synergy? I can also see some dirty THC shenanigans with the right arrangement. Even by simplistic MvC2 synergy terms, it works well: Wesker-battery, Taskmaster- assist, Spencer- meter spender.

C.Viper, X-23, Dormammu-
C.Viper and X-23 work in tandem as offensive rushdown monsters, and their assists set up unblockables with each other. C.Viper, currently having the only (?) overhead assist in the game allows X-23 with her rapid fire 5-frame c.L to go into full combo when someone's locked down. Similarly, X-23's low hitting OTG assist can catch opponents when C.Viper does her Flame Kick on point for another unblockable. X-23 also allows for C. Viper relaunches anywhere on screen. Dormammu's Dark Hole allows for Mirage Feint mixups, and potential C. Viper relaunches using Ground Pound (hard, but possible. Could be easier in Ultimate if Dark Hole has less startup.) Dormammu gets a free relaunch from anywhere on screen with X-23's assist for a cool ~700,000 damage by burning 1 meter... or forego the meter and go for an airthrow reset in the corner... which X-23 can also help relaunching from. Or maybe some flame carpet + Viper assist for another unblockable. Or X-23 assist + teleport overhead (as long as its not telegraphed)? Yeah, Dormammu can probably be replaced with a better beam/projectile assist character for approach options, but the team still has good synergy. The only other real issue with this team is meter building, and for that it'd just be a matter of knowing extended combos with each character to maximize meter gain.

Well, Ultimate will give us more options to choose from, and more options are always better. Experimenting is half the fun of Marvel anyways! My stance has always been to just pick characters that you like and figuring out how they work together. Hopefully you'll find characters you like as well.

[quote name='GuardianE']Hmmm, are you implying that I only win by clutching it out? ;)

Anyway, you've gotten a lot better for sure, man. But in a game with touch of death combos, happy birthdays, and X-Factor, the entire match is "clutching it out." Even a Perfect was seconds away from a loss. When you can lose a character in a matter of 3 in-game seconds, I think that improvisation is just as important as having a gameplan. I guess that's what I mean about knowing all your options, and that's harder to do when switching characters around. But I don't mean to be preachy or anything, it's just my opinion. Looks like you've just got to find a team that appeals to you.
[/QUOTE]
No, I'm not implying that at all. I'm moreso saying I choke a lot, whether it be missing setups, dropping combos, or doing stupid things. I feel comfortable with all 3 of my characters, but I know there is a lot that I'm missing in terms of matchup knowledge. You're absolutely right that experience is key in this game. I really only played with mostly CAGs and some other people on my friends list. I got discouraged from playing with randoms in this game because the matchmaking experience (both ranked and to a lesser extent player matches) was atrocious. I'm ready to go in on UMVC3 though and put the time into it.

That new Marvel Madness was good. Phoenix Wright is going to be serious business...

[quote name='GuardianE']C.Viper, currently having the only (?) overhead assist in the game[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure Akuma's divekick assist hits high too, but why on earth would you want to use anything other than tatsu ;).

UMvC3 looks so good. I should prolly figure out how to play vanilla before I pick it up. The addition of PW has had me playing Ace Attorney a lot lately.

I never said the Spencer team didn't have good synergy. It's just the newest team that I have come up with so I don't have all the setups and combos down. I think it will still be a team that does well in ultimate. My other team does't have Dormammu. I use Akuma as the third. The team is good but a major problem is that the team has some of the lowest life in the game. Viper is dangerous but just dies so fast. Even Marlinpie who is the best Viper player loses her half the time without getting a hit in. X-23's low assist is so slow its hard to use to really extend combos. I do need to practice more as I really only play once or twice a week.

[quote name='Kensei']I never said the Spencer team didn't have good synergy. It's just the newest team that I have come up with so I don't have all the setups and combos down. I think it will still be a team that does well in ultimate. My other team does't have Dormammu. I use Akuma as the third. The team is good but a major problem is that the team has some of the lowest life in the game. Viper is dangerous but just dies so fast. Even Marlinpie who is the best Viper player loses her half the time without getting a hit in. X-23's low assist is so slow its hard to use to really extend combos. I do need to practice more as I really only play once or twice a week.[/QUOTE]

Well, you did say that you never found a good combination with the characters you like to play. I figured that meant all your current teams.

Sorry! For some reason, I thought that the second team had Dormammu in it. I could've sworn that there was Dormammu in there at one point. Well, I think Dormammu might actually work as well as Akuma. Despite Akuma's inherent dumb factor of tatsu assist, I actually think Dorm has better overall synergy with the others.

Yes, MarlinPie loses Viper immediately in a good number of matches where he's facing off against some of the best players in the world on stream. F. Champ and PR Balrog lose Magneto and Dante respectively in matches before they get a chance to do anything either. And those scenarios only partly have to do with health. It mostly has to do with the fact that the opponents know how terrifying the character is (in this case Marlin's Viper), and once they get that hit in they will do everything possible to kill them. Marlin's Viper is too dangerous to keep alive. 900,000 health is low health, but it's not pixie health. If health is really a concern, though, maybe try swapping Akuma for Dorm. Dorm's also going to be top tier in Ultimate, mark my words.

X-23 can definitely OTG reliably with both Dorm and Viper if you delay the air combo hits. It's easier with the ton of active frames of Dorm's S. It just takes a little practice. I tried it out and there's just a timing adjustment and a dash-in to make it work.

[quote name='MtlTom']No, I'm not implying that at all. I'm moreso saying I choke a lot, whether it be missing setups, dropping combos, or doing stupid things. I feel comfortable with all 3 of my characters, but I know there is a lot that I'm missing in terms of matchup knowledge. You're absolutely right that experience is key in this game. I really only played with mostly CAGs and some other people on my friends list. I got discouraged from playing with randoms in this game because the matchmaking experience (both ranked and to a lesser extent player matches) was atrocious. I'm ready to go in on UMVC3 though and put the time into it.

That new Marvel Madness was good. Phoenix Wright is going to be serious business...

I'm pretty sure Akuma's divekick assist hits high too, but why on earth would you want to use anything other than tatsu ;).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, matchmaking was definitely pretty bad. It's actually good now, believe it or not, for Player Matches. Using Training Mode with Fight Request on, I get matched up within a few seconds. I'm super excited to try Phoenix Wright. He's one of those characters that I would create a team around, even if he sucked. He looks like he's going to be good though! :)

Ah yes, Akuma divekick. Completely dwarfed by Tatsu. And maybe a Thor and Felicia assists are overhead too? There's aren't many overhead assists, though there will be more in UMvC3.

[quote name='BackInBlack']UMvC3 looks so good. I should prolly figure out how to play vanilla before I pick it up. The addition of PW has had me playing Ace Attorney a lot lately.[/QUOTE]

Ah, what game are you on? I'm a huge fan. I own and have played them all. Some of the best writing, characterization, plot twists and dialogue in gaming today.

Frank West Character Vignette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRiT9JRPU_o

Rocket Raccoon Character Vignette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZFxsZHxTM

Frank West vs. Rocket Raccoon Gameplay 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9d3STzdtM

Frank West vs. Rocket Raccoon Gameplay 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfeoyUURJY

Rocket Raccoon looks like an absurd trap character. I didn't care the slightest about him before, but I have to admit that he looks fun, his voice is amazing, and his level 3/win animation is boss.

It looks like Frank West can level up pretty easily throughout the match, and his normals become ridiculous (like Ammy Sword range). His lvl 3 looks like an anti-air grab a la She-Hulk's Taking Out the Trash? Still wish it was Chuck Greene, though. :( He even has the paddlesaw.

Seth Killian move breakdown for each character:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/oct/31/rocket-raccoon-umvc3-video-breakdown-seth-killian/

Both Frank West & Rocket Raccoon look like a lot of fun to play. RR's traps look like they have a ton of potential to set up some pretty nasty stuff. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from him but he does look pretty beastly.

Frank West's leveling up with photography looks interesting. He seems very over the top but does a decent amount of damage. Only a few more weeks!

Video overload! Next Assist Me is up with Vergil and Nova:

So basically if Vergil touches you with 4 meters he can take out most of the cast :shock:. With 5, he can take out just about anyone. Still, that's a lot of meter to burn - especially considering the reduced meter building in the game. It may not be super practical at all times, but that is a pretty serious threat. I'm pretty interested in trying him out.

Nova looks like he could be one of the most solid anchor characters in the game. I wish you could control whether or not you wanted to burn the red health with those few specials and hypers, but I guess you can just opt not to do those moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8qwNZvAvBE

[quote name='MtlTom']I only watched a bit of this but G4 posted up some video with Phoenix Wright, Nova, & Rocket Raccoon. The beginning talks about & demos some of the system changes. Pretty good watch. Check it out here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, Tom.

I watched the G4 video the other day. It's mostly old news at this point, but KillerKai does go over a few things that haven't been mentioned yet (the other dude is worthless), the most interesting of which is the fact that you have some limited aerial control after a super jump. A lot of people talked about how characters seemed to control differently now, but hadn't gone into specifics like that.

[quote name='GuardianE']Thanks for the link, Tom.

I watched the G4 video the other day. It's mostly old news at this point, but KillerKai does go over a few things that haven't been mentioned yet (the other dude is worthless), the most interesting of which is the fact that you have some limited aerial control after a super jump. A lot of people talked about how characters seemed to control differently now, but hadn't gone into specifics like that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Majority of it was a review but the part about movement was the first I'd seen in a video.

It needs to be Nov 15th already!

[quote name='GUNNM']btw don't miss any of the fights if you want to watch the archives it's $8[/QUOTE]

I like how the 8.95 jokes in the chat continued through all three days. Hilarious.

[quote name='GuardianE']I like how the 8.95 jokes in the chat continued through all three days. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]
It extended way beyond that, Twitter & Facebook were blowing up with them too. Jebailey (CEO) is even selling his tournament copies of MVC3 for $8.95

This is my personal favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vegMh3p3_wo

[quote name='GuardianE']I like how the 8.95 jokes in the chat continued through all three days. Hilarious.[/QUOTE]
yeah that was funny

''this is a 8.95 match up'' I laughed at every 8.95 joke as well, lol that video is funny tom. I felt bad for people who paid 9$ on the first day and the stream kept shitting the bed.

[quote name='Kensei']Even without X factor you should be able to do an easy 800k damage with a combo since you can otg with it.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but Phoenix still has to get that first hit in. Not saying it's hard, since we don't have the game yet, but Phoenix's mobility options might hurt him here.

The real kicker is the fact that the move has invincible startup, which wasn't clear before (Magneto's Lvl3 has no invincibility and is full screen, so some speculated it could've been like that). What this means is that if your opponent whiffs anything, DOES anything to put you in block stun, you can Lvl ANY X-Factor cancel from anywhere on screen, perform Lvl 3 and kill the majority of the cast. Only Thor would survive a naked X-Factor Lvl 3 Lvl 3 Hyper.

For comparison's sake, Vergil's level 3 (4) does 610,000 base damage.
Level 1 X-Factor: 762,000
Level 2 X-Factor: 915,000
Level 3 X-Factor: 1,067,000

Most characters can't full screen punish into insta-death with Lvl 1 X-Factor.

Yeah. He's gonna be sick. I don't think it will be too hard to get in. That finger pointing hit he gets from turnabout mode has a lot of range. Also you have plenty of time since the mode lasts about 30 real life seconds. I'm definitely looking forward to trying him out. I just finished modding up my first stick with new parts and art too.

[quote name='Kensei']Yeah. He's gonna be sick. I don't think it will be too hard to get in. That finger pointing hit he gets from turnabout mode has a lot of range. Also you have plenty of time since the mode lasts about 30 real life seconds. I'm definitely looking forward to trying him out. I just finished modding up my first stick with new parts and art too.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Be sure to post pictures!

Here's the pics of my sticks that I modded

Stick 1

fightstick1.jpg

Stick 2

fightstick2.jpg

Those both turned out pretty nice Kensei. I particularly like the Wesker one.

The final Assist Me is up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWn_RFJ8Ag

After watching the video I can totally see why Rocket Raccoon has lower health. His keep-away looks ridiculous. The burrow looks really good and the pendulum assist might be one of the best in the game. He looks like you'll need to put some time in with him to be effective.

I'm super excited about Frank West. I'm giving him a shot first thing for sure. I can't wait to start experimenting with level up combos. Lvl 3 XF + Lvl 5 has the potential to be really scary. I wonder what sort of durability & priority that shopping cart assist has?

I'm curious too, how do you think PW will shape up? Will strategies revolve around taking him out as quick as possible before he gets to turnabout? Will people get him to turnabout & tag him out for buffed assists & save him as an anchor? Will he not even crack to top tier?

[quote name='MtlTom']I'm curious too, how do you think PW will shape up? Will strategies revolve around taking him out as quick as possible before he gets to turnabout? Will people get him to turnabout & tag him out for buffed assists & save him as an anchor? Will he not even crack to top tier?[/QUOTE]

Pics are blocked at work, but I'll check 'em out and comment when I get home.

PW's biggest problem is his mobility and his mixup potential. But everything else I'm hearing is amazing. And the more I hear, the more it's amazing. If you're lucky, collecting three pieces of solid evidence can be done in literally 3 real time seconds. You might get hit, but Phoenix actually has above average health, and with proper DHC + Assists + Maya shield, I don't think it'll be all that hard.

Going into Courtroom stance is actually pretty good in and of itself. PW isn't a bad zoner with the right evidence. Notably, the knife and the cellphone are a triple projectile and similar to Dante's Multilock. Can't be done from the air, but it's still pretty good. Hitting with Objection is the tricky part. This can be done via TAC, DHC, or OTG. It has some startup, but it's got a huge hitbox. Actually, I'm excited to try and see if you can combo into it off of a Crossover Counter. Only time will tell how easy this will be.

And as we've already discussed, Turnabout mode is amazing and his lvl 3 can full screen punish anything into a dead character with any level of X-Factor. Last night, during the Norcal vs. Capcom stream, it was confirmed that PW's fingers do chip damage.

But that's not even the best part. PW has, as Seth put it, the best assist in all of Marvel history. Press the Witness (or Break the Witness in Turnabout Mode), is a fully invincible assist that travels 3/4 across the screen and ends in a wallbounce. Here's what I plan on doing... PW on point, gather evidence, swap out, CC into Objection!, finger chip and do unblockables, either Lvl 3 or DHC out and use assist, gather enough meter, CC into Lvl 3.

I think a lot of people are going to try to kill PW as fast as possible. I think that's really the best strategy to employ against him. Even snap him in when possible.

bread's done
Back