CAG Fighter Fighting Game Matchmaking - SSFIV AE Games with Gold in June, Skullgirls Encore (free update) Out Now!

I think the thing that will make or break Pheonix Wright is how quickly you can collect 3 good pieces of evidence. Investigation doesn't look that great, but every other stance does. I've heard that he can chain picking up evidence or throwing evidence together, so you can get 3 pieces right away & discard the bad ones in one go around. Maya seems to have a really good amount of durability and can absorb a lot of hits. Pair that up with the right assist and you should have plenty of time to get the right evidence.

Because of his mobility I think he's going to be most effective as a zoning/keepaway/runaway character.

I haven't really paid close enough attention in videos, but does he lose all of his evidence when he uses his Lvl 3? That could change things up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MtlTom']I think the thing that will make or break Pheonix Wright is how quickly you can collect 3 good pieces of evidence. Investigation doesn't look that great, but every other stance does. I've heard that he can chain picking up evidence or throwing evidence together, so you can get 3 pieces right away & discard the bad ones in one go around. Maya seems to have a really good amount of durability and can absorb a lot of hits. Pair that up with the right assist and you should have plenty of time to get the right evidence.

Because of his mobility I think he's going to be most effective as a zoning/keepaway/runaway character.

I haven't really paid close enough attention in videos, but does he lose all of his evidence when he uses his Lvl 3? That could change things up a bit.[/QUOTE]

Eh, like I said, he can collect three pieces of solid evidence in literally less than 3 seconds if he's lucky. It's literally random, but the chances of you getting good evidence is actually very high. The animation for picking up and throwing evidence is really short. Maybe it can be chained, but it's so fast that it doesn't really matter. You can press the command, check the gauge at the bottom to see if it's solid or not... if it's not, mash the command to toss it as a projectile attack. You can't do it all in one command, but you can do them all very quickly. Like I said, gathering evidence isn't really going to be too much of an issue with the right assists and DHCs. There are going to be ways to do it if you're willing to spend the meter.

I think he's going to be zoning once in Courtroom stance, but not in Turnabout stance. His fingers do chip damage and you can chain them together. Easy unblockables with a low assist. Huge spacing and fast startup.

Yes, he loses all his evidence when he uses his level 3, but I don't think that changes much. You shouldn't use his level 3 outside of anything other than killing the last character. His Turnabout assist is way too good to squander it on a level 3 mid-game.

The guy is basically a lame duck, then a decent zoner, then a really powerful point character, then a GODLY assist, then an easy closing anchor with ANY level X-Factor.

[quote name='Kensei']Here's the pics of my sticks that I modded

Stick 1

Stick 2

[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of the girly stick, myself. They both look really good, Kensei. Makes me almost wish I played stick. :)

[quote name='MtlTom']I've been thinking about solutions to get Frank leveled up fast. Looks like I just need to start learning Dante.....

[/QUOTE]Yeah, I saw sephi post that video up. Dante's always had extensive combos, so that's no real surprise. An easier solution might be to just use Super Skrull, combo into Inferno, mash hits to 99, DHC into Frank, X-factor and take a picture for instant Level 5, but you're burning X-Factor in the process.

EDIT: I just asked sephi if you could hard tag after Iron Avenger into Frank West and OTG camera. He confirmed that you can, and get 100+ hits in the single Iron Man combo with mashing. No X-Factor. There's going to be tons of tech to level up Frank. This is only the beginning.

[quote name='GuardianE']Yeah, I saw sephi post that video up. Dante's always had extensive combos, so that's no real surprise. An easier solution might be to just use Super Skrull, combo into Inferno, mash hits to 99, DHC into Frank, X-factor and take a picture for instant Level 5, but you're burning X-Factor in the process.

EDIT: I just asked sephi if you could hard tag after Iron Avenger into Frank West and OTG camera. He confirmed that you can, and get 100+ hits in the single Iron Man combo with mashing. No X-Factor. There's going to be tons of tech to level up Frank. This is only the beginning.[/QUOTE]
The Inferno DHC would work really well, but I'm not sure the XF burn so early would be worth it. I can see Frank really benefitting from Lvl3 XF.

Yeah, I was thinking you might be able to do a DHC or combo setup with Dorm's run run ball, then hard tag Frank to take a picture. That might not actually work, provide enough hits, or be practical however. Iron Man was another I was thinking, doing a THC with proton Canon - but that Iron Avenger setup seems like it'd work nice.

I need this game in my life right now....

PS: I can't wait for all the Frank West "Do a barrel roll" jokes. ;)

So, during my trip to Comic-Con in NYC, I asked one of my favorite cover artists, Eric Basaulda (e.bas) to do a sketch for me of my Marvel vs. Capcom 3 team. He tried to get it done during the con, but due to time constraints he wasn't able to finish it. He let me know that he'd be working on it and ship it to me when it was finished.

He let me know the other day that it was completed, and I think it looks absolutely amazing. :) He forwarded me a scan:
Capcom_sketchSMALL2.jpg

So, yeah. I'm thrilled. I can't even try to call this beauty a "sketch." It's 11 X 14 and unbelievably detailed. :bouncy:

Also, original Capcom roster changes part 1. Ugh, why did they nerf Morrigan?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOtSzoaX3A&hd=1

[quote name='GUNNM']no yipes? boooo
thanks for the vid will watch after the gym[/QUOTE]

He lives in NY. He's not going to fly to California just to play some Ultimate :p

Also DLC costumes

Megaman is totally kinda, sort-of in the game. Also original Spencer. Also whatever that wolf guy from Darkstalkers name is.

img0834m.jpg

Yeah I don't even know why I posted that. Forgot yipes lives on other side of the USA, lol that's funny X as a DLC costume. Maybe Classic MM still has a chance doubt it.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I really love the piece. I'm going to get this baby in a nice custom frame when it comes in. e.Bas really did me a solid. I think he felt bad that he couldn't finish the piece at the con.

[quote name='bs000']Also DLC costumes

Megaman is totally kinda, sort-of in the game. Also original Spencer. Also whatever that wolf guy from Darkstalkers name is.

[/QUOTE]

Capcom is trolling Megaman fans so hard. Bad karma, man.

Of the newly leaked ones, I really like Trish's and She-Hulk's alternates. Magneto's is pretty nice too. Spencer's is nice so I never have to pick dreadlock Spencer ever again.

Oh, and Phoenix Wright's is ace. I would've preferred hobo Wright, but this one will do.

[quote name='GuardianE']Thanks for the comments, guys! I really love the piece. I'm going to get this baby in a nice custom frame when it comes in. e.Bas really did me a solid. I think he felt bad that he couldn't finish the piece at the con.

Capcom is trolling Megaman fans so hard. Bad karma, man.

Of the newly leaked ones, I really like Trish's and She-Hulk's alternates. Magneto's is pretty nice too. Spencer's is nice so I never have to pick dreadlock Spencer ever again.

Oh, and Phoenix Wright's is ace. I would've preferred hobo Wright, but this one will do.[/QUOTE]

They also has teh cool Taskmaster costume. They better release the complete pack at the beginning instead of doing that stupid staggered pack thing where you have to wait liek a whole damn year to get all the costumes.

SO stoked about Ammy's Talbain costume. If they replaced her Divine Retribution with his nunchaku, I would flip shit. I've also been wanting an X alternate since day one; I love the franchise, but I'm good without him. Frank's alt will solidify my Megaman team anyway.

[quote name='joe2187']Why Hello there Ryu...You're looking mighty fancy in your denjin Beast mode

I knew ryu was going to be a completely different animal in UMVC3 but dayuuum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wi45o6W7y7U[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's nuts that he can j.S after corner air Shinkuu Hadoken, and follow with a l.tatsu into second Shunkuu Hadoken. That's a pretty awesome change for him. He borrowed it from Akuma! The other combos were very cool, but use up way too much meter for be all that practical.

New Videos by Max:
Capcom Changes Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoAIO6AUAA

I really want to see how hard the combos are with Dante now. I guess we'll see in a few days.

Mashing Hypers w/ Capcom Cast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bDh00hKfww

Ryu does look really beastly now. He got the buffs he needed and that denjin mode is pretty ridiculous.

So I asked Guardian this, how do you feel about doing a bunch of new-character limited matches this Wed for Fight Night? I'd say similar to how Max did it would work - you need at least two new characters on your team. That way we can try out a bunch of the new cast in a session.

Doesn't have to be the whole night at all, maybe the first few rounds?

Also, I think I might try using Dante in UMVC3 :whistle2:#

I checked the store that I got MVC3 early at last time but all they had left were PS3 copies and I dont intend to play it on that system.

Also, It looks like Ryu builds meter during Denjin mode, and loses some life as well but the loss is so minimal that it really isn't even noticeable. And buildng meter during denjin makes up for his heavy uses of meter...so Yeah..ryu looks redonkulous.

[quote name='MtlTom']Ryu does look really beastly now. He got the buffs he needed and that denjin mode is pretty ridiculous.

So I asked Guardian this, how do you feel about doing a bunch of new-character limited matches this Wed for Fight Night? I'd say similar to how Max did it would work - you need at least two new characters on your team. That way we can try out a bunch of the new cast in a session.

Doesn't have to be the whole night at all, maybe the first few rounds?

Also, I think I might try using Dante in UMVC3 :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea. It's nice to get some character variety. I definitely vote yes, for the first few rounds at least.

Out of curiosity, why the switch to Dante? He doesn't really seem like your archetype character. There are already documented ways to get Frank up to Lvl 5 in one combo with no meter and no X-Factor (with the right assists). Frankly, I love seeing Dante combos, so the more Dante the better in my opinion.

Who are the most broken chars in this game? I will main Ryu and then 2 most imba. I will also have to read the guide religiously to gain even the remotest skill.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Who are the most broken chars in this game? I will main Ryu and then 2 most imba. I will also have to read the guide religiously to gain even the remotest skill.[/QUOTE]

Hsien-ko and Thor.

Some impressions are that the netcode is better this time around. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but a bunch of people are claiming that it's better. Maybe it can compensate for your terribad connection. :p

By the way, where the hell has Shinobi been? It's been forever since I've seen him online. I hope everything's okay. :/

[quote name='GuardianE']
Out of curiosity, why the switch to Dante? He doesn't really seem like your archetype character. There are already documented ways to get Frank up to Lvl 5 in one combo with no meter and no X-Factor (with the right assists). Frankly, I love seeing Dante combos, so the more Dante the better in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
I've always thought he was a fun character, I just never put in the time with him. New game = time to try new things. Plus I think he's going to have really good synergy with Frank (who I really want to make work). He is in just about all of those Lvl5 combos, but most of those are corner only on big characters. He'll also work with that 2-meter THC level 5 combo that I think will work anywhere. Plus I'm not going to lie, double tap inputs on most of his specials are a lot more appealing to me, even if his combos are supposed to be harder.

Don't worry, I have some ideas for high stamina/high damage teams as well ;).

[quote name='Kensei']I think the most broken thing is your internet connection. :lol:[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='GuardianE']
By the way, where the hell has Shinobi been? It's been forever since I've seen him online. I hope everything's okay. :/[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen him in ages. I sent some messages back & forth with him a few weeks ago, & he's popped on a few weeks on Wed nights but not joined in our session. I do remember him saying he had a change at his job, so there's that....

[quote name='MtlTom']I've always thought he was a fun character, I just never put in the time with him. New game = time to try new things. Plus I think he's going to have really good synergy with Frank (who I really want to make work). He is in just about all of those Lvl5 combos, but most of those are corner only on big characters. He'll also work with that 2-meter THC level 5 combo that I think will work anywhere. Plus I'm not going to lie, double tap inputs on most of his specials are a lot more appealing to me, even if his combos are supposed to be harder.

Don't worry, I have some ideas for high stamina/high damage teams as well ;).

I haven't seen him in ages. I sent some messages back & forth with him a few weeks ago, & he's popped on a few weeks on Wed nights but not joined in our session. I do remember him saying he had a change at his job, so there's that....[/QUOTE]

I just find it interesting to pick up Dante now of all times. He was hit with nerfs, he's harder to combo with now (don't let that double tapping fool you, the hardest part of Dante is bold canceling), he does less damage, and he doesn't build as much meter. Like I said, that Dante/Frank tech that you cited earlier? Already outdated. People have found ways to get three snapshots in a single combo for insta Level 5 (three broomstick shuffle aircombos into two OTG camera shots).

You're going to be picking up Dante when most people are dropping him for his easier to use twin brother, and just to supplement Frank West. :p

When the game first came out I wanted to play Dante but found the inputs a little too difficult. I can understand him wanting to try him out now.

I played UMvC3 last Friday. The game looks slower. Thor changes aren't good enough to help him against fast/teleport characters, at least from my testing. =[ Wesker is still broken. Vergil is super good. Hawkeye is awesome.

Im gonna wait for a price drop instead of picking it up day 1. I'll probably play at a friend's house in the meantime.

[quote name='GuardianE']I just find it interesting to pick up Dante now of all times. He was hit with nerfs, he's harder to combo with now (don't let that double tapping fool you, the hardest part of Dante is bold canceling), he does less damage, and he doesn't build as much meter. Like I said, that Dante/Frank tech that you cited earlier? Already outdated. People have found ways to get three snapshots in a single combo for insta Level 5 (three broomstick shuffle aircombos into two OTG camera shots).

You're going to be picking up Dante when most people are dropping him for his easier to use twin brother, and just to supplement Frank West. :p[/QUOTE]
I dunno, despite the nerfs I still see Dante being an incredibly strong character in this game. The way I see it, I'm starting from scratch with him anyways. I'll be learning him with those adjustments in place not having to adjust my gameplan & combos according to those changes.

C'mon, don't lie. You just want to be the only person doing flashy combos ;).

[quote name='MtlTom']I dunno, despite the nerfs I still see Dante being an incredibly strong character in this game. The way I see it, I'm starting from scratch with him anyways. I'll be learning him with those adjustments in place not having to adjust my gameplan & combos according to those changes.

C'mon, don't lie. You just want to be the only person doing flashy combos ;).[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't get me wrong. Dante will most assuredly be strong in UMvC3. I just find it an unsual time to pick him up. Kensei makes a good point that I guess the double motion inputs were sort of a barrier.

[quote name='shinryuu']I played UMvC3 last Friday. The game looks slower. Thor changes aren't good enough to help him against fast/teleport characters, at least from my testing. =[ Wesker is still broken. Vergil is super good. Hawkeye is awesome.

Im gonna wait for a price drop instead of picking it up day 1. I'll probably play at a friend's house in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

It looks slower? Hmmm. I've heard that the game is less floaty, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Just picked up the guide during work. Don't know what the hell I was thinking. Nothing's getting animated with this thing staring at me. Cool to see Cl0ck's name on the cover though!

[quote name='IanKazimer']Just picked up the guide during work. Don't know what the hell I was thinking. Nothing's getting animated with this thing staring at me. Cool to see Cl0ck's name on the cover though![/QUOTE]

Oh snaps. Early guide! Do they actually list changes under each character from Vanilla to Ultimate (like specific frames and stuff)?

Looking at Wesker now (since he's our boy.) All of the frame data is still intact, there's just no direction comparison between Vanilla and UMvC that I'm seeing. Each character has a writeup of changes at the beginning of their chapter though.

The special moves/hyper combos that have been changed are all addressed in their respective paragraphs (ie: changes to Cobra Strike, Phantom Move, Rhino Charge, etc.) It's all there, it just requires some reading.

There are also new Battle Plan and Advanced Tactics sections. I read the first guide pretty thoroughly and there seems to be very little copy and pasting. So far I'm pretty impressed.

I'll post after work if I find anything else interesting. I'll probably just be reading it until midnight.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Looking at Wesker now (since he's our boy.) All of the frame data is still intact, there's just no direction comparison between Vanilla and UMvC that I'm seeing. Each character has a writeup of changes at the beginning of their chapter though.

The special moves/hyper combos that have been changed are all addressed in their respective paragraphs (ie: changes to Cobra Strike, Phantom Move, Rhino Charge, etc.) It's all there, it just requires some reading.

There are also new Battle Plan and Advanced Tactics sections. I read the first guide pretty thoroughly and there seems to be very little copy and pasting. So far I'm pretty impressed.

I'll post after work if I find anything else interesting. I'll probably just be reading it until midnight.[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty awesome! I'm looking forward to getting my copy, but FFS from Amazon means it will take a while. :( I guess specific frame changes could just be found by comparing guide to guide anyway, so it's no big deal.

Actually looking at Zero's combos, it looks like his Sougenmu and Raikousen loops are at least partially intact. I thought those were nixed?

I thought he just has new loops now? I'm no Zero player, but I remember that they were initially complaining about the changes, but then someone discovered different loops.

Yeah man, it's a great guide. 589 pages by my count. Stoked to run some sets with you guys this week.

As for Zero, I know his shippuga loop is out (c.L, c.M, c.H, Forward+H, L, M, H, Forward+H blahblahblah) is out, but these other two look pretty similar. All conjecture til I get in there and see how they feel, but who cares, he's only better! Lv. 3 Busters out of anything!

I'll be studying Rocket's section very closely. I fully intend to make him terrifying.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Yeah man, it's a great guide. 589 pages by my count. Stoked to run some sets with you guys this week.

As for Zero, I know his shippuga loop is out (c.L, c.M, c.H, Forward+H, L, M, H, Forward+H blahblahblah) is out, but these other two look pretty similar. All conjecture til I get in there and see how they feel, but who cares, he's only better! Lv. 3 Busters out of anything!

I'll be studying Rocket's section very closely. I fully intend to make him terrifying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Zero's definitely better in Ultimate, and I honestly believe he was already a secret top tier in MvC3. At least he can't OTG off of Lvl 3 Busters anymore, I don't think.

Rocke-rocke-rocke-rocketskates!

I can't wait to get my guide either. My wife ordered it for my through Amazon, so I'll have to check to see if it shipped or not.

Well this is good news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrZIIFKWxs

I wonder if when he says "You still can't invite to player matches," he didn't know about the friends list trick. Either way I'm glad to see the netcode is improved.

I saw something similar to this on GAF, so ladies and gentleman I give you....

THE CAG VANILLA MVC3 BLOW-UP POST:

All of these are from before MVC3 came out. Some of them after playing at Best Buy kiosks. Most of them coming from KingBroly ;).

[quote name='MtlTom']
So what team is everyone planning to start with? I'm thinking something along the lines of Deadpool/Skrull/Viper.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']But in Dark Phoenix mode her health constantly drains while she's out. Considering every character has a 100% combo, she's unplayable unless you're an expert in execution.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']
- Magneto seems a lot weaker.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']I got to use Dark Phoenix once, and I wish she didn't have her health drain constantly because it seems like she could be the best character in the game without that going against her.

If she's the only left you can just keep blocking until she dies. Hardly fair.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']How often are people going to get Dark Phoenix though? From what I've played and seen it's going to be rare that people get 5 bars.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MtlTom']
- Thor is scary. He hits really hard and his tornado hyper seems to connect pretty easy I also watched someone eat his command grab hyper after one of their characters got knocked out and it just about took them out as well.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='joe2187']Arthur is broken..
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GuardianE']I've seen zero people use Dante's teleport. Is it really slow or something?[/QUOTE]

I only got to Page 47 of the old MVC3 thread. People can add to this they want....

bread's done
Back