CAG Warhawk Night [TBD]

So I've been playing this for the last couple of days and getting the hang of it (usually placing around top 3 in TDM matches).

But damn do I suck balls at flying. I can't seem to get a good lock on guys and if I do it just seems like the missiles wiz off and do nothng. And I always seem to get machine gunned to death from behind (ie I can't shake pursuers).

Any tips on being a better pilot? Or should I just keep on keeping at it till I get comfortable at it.

I feel like I'm missing out on half the game if all I do is play ground support.

[quote name='ohvermie']So I've been playing this for the last couple of days and getting the hang of it (usually placing around top 3 in TDM matches).

But damn do I suck balls at flying. I can't seem to get a good lock on guys and if I do it just seems like the missiles wiz off and do nothng. And I always seem to get machine gunned to death from behind (ie I can't shake pursuers).

Any tips on being a better pilot? Or should I just keep on keeping at it till I get comfortable at it.

I feel like I'm missing out on half the game if all I do is play ground support.[/quote]

Playing Ground Support is important. But Flying is such fun!

Are you using proflight or arcade controls? Arcade makes it easier to dodge missiles initially, but proflight offers a higher degree of control. The key to becoming a better pilot is dying a lot and flying a lot. Just make those deaths count. Understand why you got shot down(Panic and missed chaff, ran into a mountain to avoid being killed, or just got out manuevered, etc) and learn from your killers.

[quote name='zenprime']Playing Ground Support is important. But Flying is such fun!

Are you using proflight or arcade controls? Arcade makes it easier to dodge missiles initially, but proflight offers a higher degree of control. The key to becoming a better pilot is dying a lot and flying a lot. Just make those deaths count. Understand why you got shot down(Panic and missed chaff, ran into a mountain to avoid being killed, or just got out manuevered, etc) and learn from your killers.[/quote]
Chaff?:cool:

I'll add, try to get as close to your enemies before letting loose with the missiles.

I extended to nine maps in the rotation. First 5 are non-booster (the fifth is a traditional dogfight DM), then 4 non booster. I'm debating about moving the hero dogfight to non-booster (It's booster on Tau Crater right now). Collection is non booster this time.

[quote name='mguiddy']Chaff?:cool:

I'll add, try to get as close to your enemies before letting loose with the missiles.[/quote]

Yeah point blank seems to be the way to go these days unless your side has a serious anti-air up and going.

I find it funny I don't have the trophy for breaking six simultaneous missile locks with chaff yet. I've broken locks bigger then that, but it's always when I'm out of chaff.

[quote name='zenprime']Yeah point blank seems to be the way to go these days unless your side has a serious anti-air up and going.

I find it funny I don't have the trophy for breaking six simultaneous missile locks with chaff yet. I've broken locks bigger then that, but it's always when I'm out of chaff.[/quote]
I admit, I whored that trophy since I never use them (unless I'm out of secondary weapons that is).:lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']Chaff?:cool:

I'll add, try to get as close to your enemies before letting loose with the missiles.[/quote]Chaff?Who uses chaf?:cool:

[quote name='ohvermie']So I've been playing this for the last couple of days and getting the hang of it (usually placing around top 3 in TDM matches).

I feel like I'm missing out on half the game if all I do is play ground support.[/quote]

I'm a terrible pilot, but what I have learned is don't underestimate the machine gun, a homing missile will take out about 3 quarters of someones health so if you machine gun them first that will be a kill (homing missiles are also much harder to avoid, look for someone who doesn't have a rock nearby). Also as others have said, use a lot of swarm missiles and use them at close range. Other than mines I would say don't bother with any other weapons if you're fighting other warhawks.

[quote name='happy']Other than mines I would say don't bother with any other weapons if you're fighting other warhawks.[/quote]

Actually, the electric bolt is handy in conjunction with the MG; it can weaken the enemy a bit with decent range and you don't have to have them in your aiming reticle. I have died at least a few times by the damned bolt!

I got stuck finishing the story mode of Gears 2 with my gf earlier, never got to get my Warhawk fix tonight. :whistle2:( I think I'mma go on some random servers.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Since Home is coming tomorrow, it MIGHT be possible we'll try it out for Warhawk night (on game launching).[/quote]

Here's hoping that I finally see that War Room I've been hearing about for so long... *crosses fingers* :pray:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Since Home is coming tomorrow, it MIGHT be possible we'll try it out for Warhawk night (on game launching).[/quote]
Man,my hard drive is full.:bomb:I ordered 250gb hard drive from amazon.com.Hopefully it gets here tomorrow.

Why do you say "might"? Game launching with Warhawk is the only game that works now.. Though I don't think the war room is going to launch tomorrow.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Since Home is coming tomorrow, it MIGHT be possible we'll try it out for Warhawk night (on game launching).[/QUOTE]

I would recommend a test run beforehand if you do. You have to change settings and map rotation while still in Home (R1 I think).

If you want, we could use the CAG Warhawk clubhouse to meet up. You have to be a member though, so if you're interested send a member request. I'll send out some invites to some of you guys too to save some trouble.

Also, because of the relatively small club size (20?), I'll be keeping it limited to CAG Warhawk regulars.

[quote name='iggywiggum']I would recommend a test run beforehand if you do. You have to change settings and map rotation while still in Home (R1 I think).

If you want, we could use the CAG Warhawk clubhouse to meet up. You have to be a member though, so if you're interested send a member request. I'll send out some invites to some of you guys too to save some trouble.

Also, because of the relatively small club size (20?), I'll be keeping it limited to CAG Warhawk regulars.[/quote]
Somebody in the Home thread said all clubs are going to be wiped out... dunn if thats true or not.

But now that I think about Saturday - I will not be there either :( My dad is going to the UK for Christmas so he can be with his wife's family so we are doing Christmas this Saturday before he leaves. Oh well, somebody teamkill Super King and use a few TOWs on DD for me will ya??

[quote name='fuss']Somebody in the Home thread said all clubs are going to be wiped out... dunn if thats true or not.[/QUOTE]

We'll see I guess. It can always be re-created.

Oh well, somebody teamkill Super King and use a few TOWs on DD for me will ya??

And sniping, don't forget the sniping!

[quote name='iggywiggum']We'll see I guess. It can always be re-created.[/quote]
I have not really followed it all that much, but I heard something about paying for a better club space - depending on how much it is I may be willing to pay for it or at least put in part of it. But I guess we will see what happens and what you get with it.

And sniping, don't forget the sniping!
lol, I was looking at my stats and I actually have a very low number of sniper kills compared to other troop weapons. I need to step up my sniping game!

I found a new trick I like to do, stand in front of a speeding enemy jeep and toss a grenade at the last second and kill them with it. If you do it juuuust right they die and you live, if not then either they kill you also or you suicide. But I bet its the last thing the person is thinking will happen to them as they are speeding for you :bouncy:

[quote name='fuss']
I found a new trick I like to do, stand in front of a speeding enemy jeep and toss a grenade at the last second and kill them with it. If you do it juuuust right they die and you live, if not then either they kill you also or you suicide. But I bet its the last thing the person is thinking will happen to them as they are speeding for you :bouncy:[/quote]
I like knifing someone right before the jeep hits, I usually (always?) die too, but it chalks up another kill for your friend and mine, Mr Ambient Warfare. :lol:
Also, I've managed to hop aside and slice them down as they drive by before, that's fun.

You have to hit with the grenade just right. I'm pretty sure I've hit a jeep with a grenade and it didn't kill the driver. :cry:

Also, I noticed I got another notice that I was awarded the Master Defense badge again... It keeps happening in Collection games. Does killing a core carrier count as killing a flag carrier?

[quote name='Sinistar']Why do you say "might"? Game launching with Warhawk is the only game that works now.. Though I don't think the war room is going to launch tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iggywiggum']I would recommend a test run beforehand if you do. You have to change settings and map rotation while still in Home (R1 I think).

Also, because of the relatively small club size (20?), I'll be keeping it limited to CAG Warhawk regulars.[/QUOTE]Game launching is just something I'm considering since I heard how it works in Warhawk. Something I'd kind of like to test in a Warhawk night.

As for Warhawk Club, I am considering it. I'm looking into various club ideas. If I was limited to 20, I'd definitely pick the 20 people involved, but that would be that bad since I know who the top 20 Warhawk regulars are (I know who also plays on Saturday).

EDIT: Including me, I came up of a list of around 12 Warhawk regulars. I came up with a list around 10 or so of those I've seen a decent number of times, but don't consider regulars.

[quote name='zenprime']So how about we test run a Home deal tonight? Say an 30-min to an hour before actual game time?[/quote]
I'm down for that... It'll be fun to have us CAGs meet up and chat as well. :D

Sure, but where do you guys want to meet, since the clubhouses are no longer there.. Unless someone actually bought one. :) Or we can meet by the Warhawk billboard in Central Plaza..

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I'm down for that... It'll be fun to have us CAGs meet up and chat as well. :D[/QUOTE]I'm not sure how it all works, but I do have MOST Warhawk people on my buddy list. I'm still debating about trying it though.

I've hosted before with another guy just to test it out in the last closed beta.. so I know how it works, I'll walk you thru it Mana.. It's pretty simple.

I think I might be able to get on some time this weekend. Last week I had Christmas parties to attend, and I have another tonight. 'Tis the Season to not be home on the weekends...

I've tried Home, made an Avatar that looks somewhat like me (am I the only person that does this?). I'd like to try joining a game through Home. But if I show up like a chick, it's because I'm totally pulling this stunt

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/12/how-to-perform-quincying-in-playstation-home/

:twisted:

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I've tried Home, made an Avatar that looks somewhat like me (am I the only person that does this?).:twisted:[/quote]

I tried but I'm more of a generic idea of myself. In fact I think I look more like my mii than my Home avatar. It's funny how that works.

[quote name='metaly']I tried but I'm more of a generic idea of myself. In fact I think I look more like my mii than my Home avatar. It's funny how that works.[/QUOTE]There are some things the Home avatars lack (to make it more lifelike), but it will most likely be updated (they are trying to get feedback from us).

I wont be attending this week and next weeks Warhawk,unfortunately.Well not until I get a new hard drive cage and screws.

I decided, no home launching this week for reasons. However, I may look into holding a special Warhawk night to do it. Main reason is I've kind of kept the thread title the same for a while, so I might as well stick to it. DD83 can try it tomorrow. If he doesn't, either I'll hold a special Warhawk night or just wait until next Friday.

EDIT: I tested the launching. It's pretty cool, but kind of sucked how I couldn't setup a few things. Oh well, but it will work great for some games once they implement it (like RB).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sucks. The one day I can potentially join, I join just before the booster rounds and as it turns out I haven't redownloaded the 3 booster packs since my PS3 died. :cry:

Maybe next time ....

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Well that sucks. The one day I can potentially join, I join just before the booster rounds and as it turns out I haven't redownloaded the 3 booster packs since my PS3 died. :cry:

Maybe next time ....[/QUOTE]I'm so sorry. If I would have known, I wouldn't have included them until later. I just had a feeling it was going to happen to me (when I don't use boosters much, everyone has them). I can just never win. :whistle2:(

Good games, everyone. It was fun having a smaller group for most of the night. Some of the Friday games are way too noisy to chat during.

And Shini, I think you've been on my friends list almost since I got my PS3, but this is the first time I can remember playing a game with you. :)

I'm glad I made it back in time for a few games before the night ended, I'll miss the next few weeks and tomorrow I don't know if I'll be able to leave resistance for warhawk.

I will say I did surprisingly well for being intoxicated, normally I have one beer while playing and get progressively worse, but now I get home after a few drinks and I do well (for me anyway).

[quote name='metaly']
And Shini, I think you've been on my friends list almost since I got my PS3, but this is the first time I can remember playing a game with you. :)[/quote]

ROFL. I was thinking something similar. I really need to finish R2 so I can start going to their nights as well.

[quote name='mguiddy']:oops:
Well shit...

That's the last time I "rest my eyes" on a Saturday.[/quote]

k1ocray.gif

[quote name='mguiddy']:oops:
Well shit...

That's the last time I "rest my eyes" on a Saturday.[/quote]

ROFL. I did the same thing. I slept until around 9:30PST and thought I missed the game.

[quote name='metaly']And Shini, I think you've been on my friends list almost since I got my PS3, but this is the first time I can remember playing a game with you. :)[/quote]
Really? :eek:

[quote name='zenprime']ROFL. I was thinking something similar. I really need to finish R2 so I can start going to their nights as well.[/quote]
That'd be cool, I'm looking to put a group together for competitive play.

I played Warhawk with you guys like a month or two back, but that was about it. It felt weird getting used to that game again, and I'm glad stats n stuff are online because my save was corrupted and that would've sucked majorly.

[quote name='fuss']Hey freaky - I had no idea....

61YLoTSFH%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Now when ne of your mines kill me I will see this guy laughing :whistle2:#[/quote]
:lol:
Singstar made a star!

uh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bread's done
Back