CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

Matt the best receiver in the FA draft is Mikhail Smith, he should have 99 speed.

After him I, Jones. I think C, Owusu was good as well. Bradley Landi or R Anderson are also viable picks.

I think that the first group should have until 7 or 730 eastern personally so that people can get home from work and see who is out there (incase they didn't have the opportunity to see it after we advanced relatively late last night). We aren't in a rush for this as teams can start doing practice and preseason games in the meantime.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I really don't like how people in my division are acquiring running backs.[/QUOTE]

Don't like the everyone getting a speed back like Dark Rider mindset :lol:

[quote name='perdition(troy']Don't like the everyone getting a speed back like Dark Rider mindset :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. What kind of jerkoff only looks for speed? ;)

Honestly, it's really just starts to show how pathetic the franchise mode is. It's just A + B = C again. My idea for the attribute overhaul that EA needs is that it should be based on logic available in the real world. Players don't have 99 speed and 99 strength. They have 4.2s in the 40 yard dash...and 400lb bench press. You shouldn't be able to look at a CB and say "Oh, he has 92 man coverage and 95 press. He must be good." We need things like "Strong defender. Good in single coverage."

Even if EA just did that for the rookie draft, it would be a huge improvement. No offence, troy, but you're like the living embodiment of why EA's current system is horrible. Not to take anything away from the practice you put in...but you went out and got specific types of players that "work well in Madden" regardless of whether they actually should have been any good...and you had instant success. It's just a horribly broken and formulaic game structure.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']I wish I could trade my FA spot. My team is already set lol[/QUOTE]

can we do this? Lol. I would be willing to trade. I'd even be willing to wait out the 6 weeks and trade for the player Week 2 of the reg season. Take a look at the Jets roster man

[quote name='n8rockerasu']You shouldn't be able to look at a CB and say "Oh, he has 92 man coverage and 95 press. He must be good."[/QUOTE]

A friend and I once had a funny conversation about what if there was a GM of a real team that had little to no football knowledge and only managed his roster by what their Madden ratings were.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']A friend and I once had a funny conversation about what if there was a GM of a real team that had little to no football knowledge and only managed his roster by what their Madden ratings were.[/QUOTE]

You mean Al Davis?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
Yeah, I know. What kind of jerkoff only looks for speed? ;)

Honestly, it's really just starts to show how pathetic the franchise mode is. It's just A + B = C again. My idea for the attribute overhaul that EA needs is that it should be based on logic available in the real world. Players don't have 99 speed and 99 strength. They have 4.2s in the 40 yard dash...and 400lb bench press. You shouldn't be able to look at a CB and say "Oh, he has 92 man coverage and 95 press. He must be good." We need things like "Strong defender. Good in single coverage."

Even if EA just did that for the rookie draft, it would be a huge improvement. No offence, troy, but you're like the living embodiment of why EA's current system is horrible. Not to take anything away from the practice you put in...but you went out and got specific types of players that "work well in Madden" regardless of whether they actually should have been any good...and you had instant success. It's just a horribly broken and formulaic game structure.
[/QUOTE]

Oh I completely understand yuor thought on instant success, but disagree nonetheless :) . I've only added 5 players started last year otherwise the core remained the same, but my five players all made sense to me outside of Madden as well imo. Aaron Wiles had 98 speed and 85 carry (he was prety much Jahvid Best with 2 better speed, but I had no success with him the previous year because I didn't know how to run, more on that later), so that one was a no brainer. I had no receivers other than Calvin Johnson with speed so I went out and got myself a deep threat in Tyree Banks, I think his speed is 96 and he had good hands (there were faster players in the draft). Some how no one else went for Cary Williams or Terrence McGee, both good players irl imo and I went at them blindly in FA and they worked out perfectly. The only other player that started that I picked up is my SS who started half the season (Grambling) had good zone and prc but is kind of slow imo.

I would have to say it is the time I put into it was the biggest part of the change. I asked people tons of questions in both leagues (you, doomtime, chetty, pitfall, kaster etc) and I put tons of hours into learning how to run, what holes to hit and how to read a defense. Kaster and Doomtime were the biggest help in the run game. Once you learn the tells of a cover 2 zone vs a cover 2 man the game really opens up. Reading defenses in this game is just huge, it is the difference of throwing a slant route vs a streak that would get you a TD. I've offered my help to many members on here, I wish more people would take me up on it (the door is always open). And I will say that I finished the first season going 7-1 or 6-1 (with pitfall knocking me out of the playoffs with a season ending loss, so it wasn't completely out of no where, I could have been 8-8 vs 7-9 and that loss still stings).

I guess this would be a good time to say that Aaron Wiles is available for trade, but I would need a top tier player in return.

Edit: I also agree that the rookie system is broken, and tried to tell everyone not to look at projected rounds or anything like that and to just look at EVERYONE regardless of round this draft and last draft. I wish it was just completely random, with the only thing is showing being the "pro day" type of info on the player, and then if he plays zone or man, or is a speedy receiver or a hands guy, etc. But they won't do that, which is probably why I won't bother with madden 25.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Well, the Cowboys owner has decided to back out of our trade since the picks didn't go through, so Adrian Clayborn is back on the block. 85 OVR 96 power moves. Looking for a starting WR CB or FS.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if that is completely accurate. We had a trade with

Decker WR 81 ovr
McCain WR 68 ovr
Clayborn DE 83 ovr

for

Austin WR 86 ovr
Spears DE 83 ovr
6th and 7th rounders

When the trade didn't go through he took McCain out of the trade altogether so I said it wasn't worth it for me. How am I doing anything wrong? Take the names out of this and tell me it makes sense.

Which team would you rather be?

Team 1 receives:

WR 86 overall with Catching, Catch in Traffic, Spectacular Catch, Route Running, Release, Jumping all with a 85 + rating. 93 speed, 89 acc, 6'2" 215 lbs.
3-4 DE 83 overall 6'4" 315 Play Recognition (81 rate), Block Shedding (81 rate), Tackle (83 rate), Power Moves (80 rate), (Awareness 78 rate)

Team 2 Receives:

WR 81 overall with Catching (86 rate), Catch in Traffic (83 rate), Spectacular Catch (83 rate), Route Running (81 rate), Release (86 rate), Jumping(77 rate) . Sub 85 speed and acc, 6'3" 215 lbs.

Tampa 2 DE 83 overall 6'3" 281 Play Recognition (83 rate), Block Shedding (mid 80's rate), Power Moves (High 80's).

I don't think I'm being a jerk here, but if other users agree that the trade is fair I'll make it. I am not trying to be difficult.

Team 1(spoiler)
Bucs receiving Austin and Spears
Team 2 (spoiler)
Cowboys receiving Clayborn and Decker

[quote name='dr0ppinL0adz']can we do this? Lol. I would be willing to trade. I'd even be willing to wait out the 6 weeks and trade for the player Week 2 of the reg season. Take a look at the Jets roster man[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you would wait 6 weeks when my FA group will go tomorrow. But more power to ya!

[quote name='dr0ppinL0adz']can we do this? Lol. I would be willing to trade. I'd even be willing to wait out the 6 weeks and trade for the player Week 2 of the reg season. Take a look at the Jets roster man[/QUOTE]

You cannot trade your pick. But if you wanted to work out a deal with someone and wait the required 6 weeks of time to trade the player, that's your business. I just don't want to hear about the deal until the 6 weeks has (or is almost) past.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']Not sure why you would wait 6 weeks when my FA group will go tomorrow. But more power to ya![/QUOTE]
Joely he is saying to take a player he wants, and then to submit the trade at week 2, the first week that the trade will be allowed to go. That is taking into account the 4 weeks of preseason and 2 weeks of regular season (ie how trading was allowed last year for FA acquisitions).

You'll figure out how to do it via pm I'm sure.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']You cannot trade your pick. But if you wanted to work out a deal with someone and wait the required 6 weeks of time to trade the player, that's your business. I just don't want to hear about the deal until the 6 weeks has (or is almost) past.[/QUOTE]

I was making a joke that it would be nice to trade my FA selection so someone could get two FA's while i got a player that could help my team from their roster. Sort of like trading a draft pick for a current player. This was meant to be a joke and has gone way to far so lets just put it to rest now. It was a joke, though lame, still a joke.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Oh I completely understand yuor thought on instant success, but disagree nonetheless :) . I've only added 5 players started last year otherwise the core remained the same, but my five players all made sense to me outside of Madden as well imo. Aaron Wiles had 98 speed and 85 carry (he was prety much Jahvid Best with 2 better speed, but I had no success with him the previous year because I didn't know how to run, more on that later), so that one was a no brainer. I had no receivers other than Calvin Johnson with speed so I went out and got myself a deep threat in Tyree Banks, I think his speed is 96 and he had good hands (there were faster players in the draft). Some how no one else went for Cary Williams or Terrence McGee, both good players irl imo and I went at them blindly in FA and they worked out perfectly. The only other player that started that I picked up is my SS who started half the season (Grambling) had good zone and prc but is kind of slow imo.

I would have to say it is the time I put into it was the biggest part of the change. I asked people tons of questions in both leagues (you, doomtime, chetty, pitfall, kaster etc) and I put tons of hours into learning how to run, what holes to hit and how to read a defense. Kaster and Doomtime were the biggest help in the run game. Once you learn the tells of a cover 2 zone vs a cover 2 man the game really opens up. Reading defenses in this game is just huge, it is the difference of throwing a slant route vs a streak that would get you a TD. I've offered my help to many members on here, I wish more people would take me up on it (the door is always open). And I will say that I finished the first season going 7-1 or 6-1 (with pitfall knocking me out of the playoffs with a season ending loss, so it wasn't completely out of no where, I could have been 8-8 vs 7-9 and that loss still stings).

I guess this would be a good time to say that Aaron Wiles is available for trade, but I would need a top tier player in return.

Edit: I also agree that the rookie system is broken, and tried to tell everyone not to look at projected rounds or anything like that and to just look at EVERYONE regardless of round this draft and last draft. I wish it was just completely random, with the only thing is showing being the "pro day" type of info on the player, and then if he plays zone or man, or is a speedy receiver or a hands guy, etc. But they won't do that, which is probably why I won't bother with madden 25.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying, and I won't dispute the work put in. But saying that you learned from people in the other league really doesn't change a whole lot. The same thing happens in there. People look for RBs, WRs, and LBs with great speed, and DBs with great man coverage and press. That's basically it.

It doesn't mean they don't know how to play the game. It just means that Madden makes it incredibly easy for them to assemble a team that does what the game wants you to do to get results. It may sound stupid, but I don't do that. I try to put together a team of players that are supposed to be good. I look at things like play recognition and tackling for defensive players and route running and catching for my receivers.

But I've heard people in the other league talking about starting LBs or Safeties who are rated like 65 OVR (meaning their awareness is terrible...but yeah, most have stated that awareness doesn't mean anything). But why are there attributes that "don't mean anything" to begin with? The system is broken if you can just entirely ignore certain attributes and key in on only a few stats. And it makes the entire franchise a backstabbing deathrace to the players with 99 speed...which to me, feels pretty stupid.

Only 1 guy was from the other league ;), the other ones were from here.

My D doesn't have a ton of speed on it for my LBs, and Wiles made it through 47 picks before I selected him, he certainly wasn't my first choice but he was there so I felt like I had to choose him - and there wasn't a deathrace...that or every other team got killed in it lol ;). Kinda the best player on the board mentality for me at that point.

I haven't quite figured out the fascination with the press attribute there are many plays that make your WR unbumpable at the line if someone is pressing so I don't really bother with that, I can say I haven't touched it as a XP attribute boost nor have I bother scouting it. It also leaves you with wide open lanes if you have a decent blocking WR and like to run the ball off tackle (and not do that annoying sweep horizontal to the numbers and then go vertical). If you look at my D the main stat that I focus on is PRC, AWR and TAK (most of my players that is the only thing I've upgraded). I'd say my 2nd tier attributes for D is MCV, ZCV and SPD. If anyone wants me to go into detail for specific attributes I can (I've done with one on one with a half dozen of you guys).

Oh, and CTH doesn't matter. That just determines whether he drops the random open pass. CIT determines whether he catches it if a player is in a ~1 yard to ~1.5 yard radius of him. RTE is very important as well, it determines if your player loses his defender when he makes a cut on an out route/in route/slant, and the amount of seperation he has if you have him run a curl.

I know you keep bringing up scrimmaging and stuff, but I'm too far gone on this year's Madden to really care about improving at this point. I play the game once a week at best. I don't expect to make any big jumps right now. It's good for you that you've put in that much time to know the game as well as you do. But yeah...that could very well indicate that you've outgrown this league. I guess we'll see.

Oh I know that is how you feel, I just want to make sure people know the option is there. I also was very thankful to members from this league that mentored me when I joined up this year so I don't want to not offer the same advice and welcoming that I got from others. Like it says in the OP
Throughout those three seasons, members shared tips, discussed strategies, and helped each other improve their skills. When all was said and done, most of us felt that we had taken great strides in our understanding of the game, and weren't so overmatched against more experienced Madden players.

This year, I'd like to build off of that. While this will definitely still be a place for people who feel like they're still learning the game, the bigger emphasis will be on sportsmanship, communication, and sharing tips to help each other improve. In that spirit, I made a joke about changing the name from the "JV League" to the "Gentlemen's League", and ya know what...I'm going to run with it (however, choosing a stripper name that starts with the same letter as your team name to represent yourself is entirely optional, lol).
:)

[quote name='njrockpd']Cowboys claim THEE Tom Brady.[/QUOTE]

No offence, but do you have trouble following instructions? lol. I mean, yes, you said what team you are...and we all know that Tom Brady is a QB. But is it that much of a strain to use the requested format? I feel like the people who struggle with this kind of stuff must get yelled at at work all the time. Just blows my mind, haha.

Free Agent Draft

Please use the following format:

Example
Team: Tennessee Titans
Player Added: Reginald Johnson, TE

The following teams are now free to add one free agent. Anyone from this group can make a selection. You don't have to wait on the team ahead of you.

1. Chargers
2. Browns
3. Packers
4. Giants - Jason Witten, TE
5. Cowboys - Tom Brady, QB
6. Falcons
7. Raiders - Allen Baker, HB
8. Rams

[quote name='njrockpd']I don't know if that is completely accurate. We had a trade with

Decker WR 81 ovr
McCain WR 68 ovr
Clayborn DE 83 ovr

for

Austin WR 86 ovr
Spears DE 83 ovr
6th and 7th rounders

When the trade didn't go through he took McCain out of the trade altogether so I said it wasn't worth it for me. How am I doing anything wrong? Take the names out of this and tell me it makes sense.

Which team would you rather be?

Team 1 receives:

WR 86 overall with Catching, Catch in Traffic, Spectacular Catch, Route Running, Release, Jumping all with a 85 + rating. 93 speed, 89 acc, 6'2" 215 lbs.
3-4 DE 83 overall 6'4" 315 Play Recognition (81 rate), Block Shedding (81 rate), Tackle (83 rate), Power Moves (80 rate), (Awareness 78 rate)

Team 2 Receives:

WR 81 overall with Catching (86 rate), Catch in Traffic (83 rate), Spectacular Catch (83 rate), Route Running (81 rate), Release (86 rate), Jumping(77 rate) . Sub 85 speed and acc, 6'3" 215 lbs.

Tampa 2 DE 83 overall 6'3" 281 Play Recognition (83 rate), Block Shedding (mid 80's rate), Power Moves (High 80's).

I don't think I'm being a jerk here, but if other users agree that the trade is fair I'll make it. I am not trying to be difficult.

Team 1(spoiler)
Bucs receiving Austin and Spears
Team 2 (spoiler)
Cowboys receiving Clayborn and Decker
[/QUOTE]

Wow.

1. I never said you were a jerk. My frustration is with EA's shitty programming not allowing the deal to go through, not you.

2. I wasn't opposed to taking McCain out entirely, but my main motivation for dealing him was to get 2 picks that could be used to help me fill other positions. Since your CPU took 2 guys that i don't need with those picks (a backup C and LOLB) I have no interest in them now and thus it makes no sense to trade McCain at that point. I'd include him just for something else instead.

3. Your stats aren't quite right. Clayborn has 96 power moves and Spears is under 80 power moves and block shed in my system at least. Not to mention he's overpaid and you wanted to dump cap.

I'm not trying to make any kind of stink about it, I was just giving the league the heads up so that nobody is surprised when Austin is still a Cowboy.

HB-foster has petitioned myself as the general manager that he would like his number changed...I told him I was unaware of the proper etiquette in doing this and would bring it up at the next available oweners meeting

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, we fully support the other league's policy on not changing numbers of established players. Sometimes a good rule is a good rule.[/QUOTE]

At some point in his team swapping his number was changed to #20 it feels and looks weird....I did not change him!...just wanted to be clear

For people at work looking for receivers, here are rookies that went undrafted:

Mikhail Smith: 76 CTH, 70 CIT, 71 RTE, 79 RLS, 99 SPD
Israel Jones: 79 CTH, 80 CIT, 73 RTE, 77 RLS, 97 SPD
Bradley Landy: 83 CTH, 89 CIT, 69 RTE, 89 RLS, 88 SPD
Ryan Anderson: 75 CTH, 86 CIT, 82 RTE, 73 RLS, 94 SPD

Is group 2 (picks 9-16) of FA "draft" still opening up at 6:00 EST? Has anyone compiled a list of people from group 1 who were claimed in the forum but not yet picked up in game and will still appear to be available?

[quote name='HooRox']Is group 2 (picks 9-16) of FA "draft" still opening up at 6:00 EST? Has anyone compiled a list of people from group 1 who were claimed in the forum but not yet picked up in game and will still appear to be available?[/QUOTE]

Just don't pick anyone who has already been picked ;)

ATL Falcons
Reggie Jones, FS

I gotta start learning to user a DB. Figure a 95 SPD 92 pow rookie should be a good starting point. If this guy didn't have 10 AWR, he'd be pretty darn good.

This is what I captured form the forum posts. Am I correct that the Packers have not selected anyone yet? Rams don't take anybody, I presume?

1. Chargers: Ryan Anderson, WR
2. Browns: Israel Jones, WR
3. Packers: ?
4. Giants: Jason Witten, TE
5. Cowboys: Tom Brady, QB
6. Falcons: Reggie Jones, FS
7. Raiders: Allen Baker, HB
8. Rams: X

[quote name='Zolor23']Yeah, I saw that he's 6'4", 86 CIT, 94 SPD and I had to go with him.[/QUOTE]

Better hope he can get off a press

[quote name='staticz']Better hope he can get off a press[/QUOTE]

Decent RLS. (73)

Other options there also had the RLS in the 70s.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm not even sure the Packers owner is still a part of the league. He's been MIA for a while now.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, then it seems everyone in Group 1 has made a selection. Plus it's after 6:00 EST. I will go ahead an post my selection. If the Packers owner shows up and demands him, I guess I'll deal with that and go with another option.

9. Steelers
Player: Duane Tyson, WR ($540k)

Free Agent Draft

Please use the following format:

Example
Team: Tennessee Titans
Player Added: Reginald Johnson, TE

The following teams are now free to add one free agent. Anyone from this group can make a selection. You don't have to wait on the team ahead of you.

Group 1
1. Chargers - Ryan Anderson, WR
2. Browns - Israel Jones, WR
3. Packers
4. Giants - Jason Witten, TE
5. Cowboys - Tom Brady, QB
6. Falcons - Reggie Jones, FS
7. Raiders - Allen Baker, HB
8. Rams - CPU

Group 2
9. Steelers - Duane Tyson, WR
10. Buccaneers - Mikhail Smith, WR
11. Jaguars
12. Panthers
13. Colts
14. Cardinals
15. Patriots
16. Bears

[quote name='GamerDude316']I'm assuming Houston just signed Phil Dawson for one preseason game and will be dropping him after...right?[/QUOTE]

I would assume so. Though, in the future, I would prefer if people announce these moves in the thread, so we can at least be sure that they're aware that it's being done for that specific reason. If he's out of his game and still has him on the team though, that's a problem.

[quote name='jbake_11']The giants havent been able to sign witten yet, I'm not sure Gp Ninja has been on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I'm sure he's not aware that he completely broke league rules on that one. You'll get Witten though. No worries.

bread's done
Back