GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, if only we can get Naughty Dog (Uncharted series + The Last of Us) & Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls) to find their way to get rid of their exclusive-ness and get their stuff not on the PC actually onto the PC...

EDIT:

Hey, a dude can dream...

{shrug}
That would be great. Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Bungie, and Square should start releasing more games on PC.

That would be great. Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Bungie, and Square should start releasing more games on PC.
One of those four is not like the others. Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, so it'd take a much larger miracle for them to release anything not on a Sony system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Square just needs to put the FF and Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) games out on the PC.

{Shrug}

I'd love to have QD and Bungie doing more PC-stuff, since they ain't really owned by anyone.

About Naughty Dog - we're dreaming for now, since Sony got them. :(

Square just needs to put the FF and Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) games out on the PC.

{Shrug}

I'd love to have QD and Bungie doing more PC-stuff, since they ain't really owned by anyone.

I know it's not the same as having all of the old ones, and it is a semi MMO, but Square actually just announced Dragon Quest X for PC last week. No localization announcement at this point yet though.

And Bungie said Destiny "might" come to PC's, so there's hope at least...

I know it's not the same as having all of the old ones, and it is a semi MMO, but Square actually just announced Dragon Quest X for PC last week. No localization announcement at this point yet though.

And Bungie said Destiny "might" come to PC's, so there's hope at least...
As a long-time player of both FF11 and FF14, I can safely say that you should expect any SE MMO to suck donkey gonads. Sure ARR looks good but I'm almost positive it'll suffer from most of the issues FF11 did.

{Shrug}

Truth be told, there's a plethora of ill-begotten methods of conceivably playing said games on PC, but none of them have Steam support. It would be a great venue for Square to release said games, however, considering they release quite a few action and puzzle games and are leaving their star franchises to consoles and handhelds. Hopefully with the new FF7 Steam support, we'll end up getting some of the older games. Maybe even a bundle of the first 6 DQ games, or even the DS remakes ported over.

Do you F5 grumpily a lot?
Actually, I don't F5... I Cmd-R (on my mac) ... or ctrl-r on linux/win ... or mouse it. I just say F5 to be understood. I also tend to space/shift-space instead of page-down/page-up. Also I remap Caps-Lock to Ctrl.

Edit: I also miss the days when GG would update prices on time... within a couple minutes of midnight PDT.

Actually, I don't F5... I Cmd-R (on my mac) ... or ctrl-r on linux/win ... or mouse it. I just say F5 to be understood. I also tend to space/shift-space instead of page-down/page-up. Also I remap Caps-Lock to Ctrl.

Edit: I also miss the days when GG would update prices on time... within a couple minutes of midnight PDT.
Okay...so now you're getting very "Technical" with us now, too...

hehe.

Is there anyone one else around like you?

{scratches head}

She's perma-grumpy.
FBPoo.png

Okay...so now you're getting very "Technical" with us now, too...

hehe.

Is there anyone one else around like you?

{scratches head}
Well other followers of the one true editor also remap Caps-Lock to Ctrl on dysfunctional keyboards (my Sun keyboard has it in the right place). The PC-101/104 keyboard layout you're used to is a newer layout.

The shift/space-shift thing is just easier (and some keyboards have lousy function-keys). Not using F5... well I guess I'm just used to meta keys and laptop keyboards. (I've had ones where there were no dedicated function keys.)

Well other followers of the one true editor also remap Caps-Lock to Ctrl on dysfunctional keyboards (my Sun keyboard has it in the right place). The PC-101/104 keyboard layout you're used to is a newer layout.

The shift/space-shift thing is just easier (and some keyboards have lousy function-keys). Not using F5... well I guess I'm just used to meta keys and laptop keyboards. (I've had ones where there were no dedicated function keys.)
Me, I am lazy - I am used to F5 for refresh.

{shrug}

Risen games being on sale is new today I think... Should be some of the lowest prices for these games.

-Risen $2.50 ($2 with 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - DRM Free

-Risen 2 Dark Waters Collection is $8.75 ($7 for those with the 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - Steam

-Risen 2 base game $5 ($4 with 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - Steam

-Risen Complete Collection - $12.50 ($10 with 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - no clue why anyone would want to pay more for this but showing it for completeness.

Risen games being on sale is new today I think... Should be some of the lowest prices for these games.

-Risen 2 Dark Waters Collection is $8.75 ($7 for those with the 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - Steam

-Risen Complete Collection - $12.50 ($10 with 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - no clue why anyone would want to pay more for this but showing it for completeness.
I'm only missing the Risen 2 DLC's.

And those DLC's each are only 60% off.

Meh.

Bought Risen when it was $6 and still haven't played it, so I'll probably hold out longer for Risen 2.

I enjoyed Risen but eventually gave up because it wouldn't run, I kept getting "out of memory" issues which should just not be possible and no posted solutions helped me. So, uh, beware on modern systems, I guess. I was disappointed to give it up because I just started to feel like I was getting somewhere but when your game crashes every seven minutes you have to quit for your own mental heath.

-Risen Complete Collection - $12.50 ($10 with 20% Beth/BL2 discount) - no clue why anyone would want to pay more for this but showing it for completeness.
Hmm... pretty tempted to pickup Risen 2 Complete for $7 ($6.65 counting BC). IIRC, Motoki had had some positive things to say about the DLC.

Victoria 2 Heart of Darkness $5 only!
Insta-buy for me. That's the cheapest it's ever been by $5, I believe. It'll eventually get down to $2.50 (or get bundled), but that'll take some time. For someone who's been wanting to dive into Vicky 2 but been holding off to get the latest expansion, I'm thrilled with this!

The Risen games also high on my wish list, but I think I'm going to wait for the Steam sale. If GG is selling them for 75% off, there's a good chance that they'll hit the same discount during the Steam sale, and I have lots of card money to spend there.

BTW, what's everyone doing with their random blue coins now that we can't buy less than $5 worth anymore? I have $1.34 in blue coins on my GG account, and I have no idea what I'm going to use it on. In the past, I would have bought $4 of blue coins and spent it all on Heart of Darkness, making the game effectively cost $4, but it seems I can't do that anymore...

Hmm... pretty tempted to pickup Risen 2 Complete for $7 ($6.65 counting BC). IIRC, Motoki had had some positive things to say about the DLC.
I liked Risen 2.

If you played Risen 1, know this - the camera in Risen 2 unlocked and this change in combat will take time for the player to get used to. Once you do - I think you'll see why they unlocked the camera (i.e. it makes attacking from enemy to enemy much easier - since there is a lot more of that, this time around; holding the right-mouse button will keep your character locked into combat as if the camera was locked).

I ain't bought nor touched the DLC. I won the base game in a contest, not too longer after the game came out.

Regardless, they really nailed the pirates theme in Risen 2. The thing is - it's honestly just another really good and really solid Piranha Bytes RPG.

I still think they ain't touched the greatness that was Gothic 1, though. For me - there was really something special about that particular game.

Yeah, Paradox games on GG tend to be DRM-FREE.  Pro-tip, don't try to pick up CK2 DLC there if you have it on steam. ^_~

Same thing I've usually done with my BC, let them accumulate until they cover one of my cheap purchases.  IIRC, I've only bought BC for getting the UK price without being subjected to whatever my CC GBP-USD rate is.

BTW, what's everyone doing with their random blue coins now that we can't buy less than $5 worth anymore? I have $1.34 in blue coins on my GG account, and I have no idea what I'm going to use it on. In the past, I would have bought $4 of blue coins and spent it all on Heart of Darkness, making the game effectively cost $4, but it seems I can't do that anymore...
I usually keep a small pile of BCs in the kitty just in case a good deal comes up from the UK side. So if I got down to a couple bucks, I'd likely just let it sit until I needed 8,000 BCs for some UK deal.

Did they patch up the various workarounds to getting 1000 coins? The direct link and adding $5 first and all that?

I liked Risen 2.

If you played Risen 1, know this - the camera in Risen 2 unlocked and this change in combat will take time for the player to get used to. Once you do - I think you'll see why they unlocked the camera (i.e. it makes attacking from enemy to enemy much easier - since there is a lot more of that, this time around; holding the right-mouse button will keep your character locked into combat).

I ain't bought nor touched the DLC. I won the base game in a contest, not too longer after the game came out.

Regardless, they really nailed the pirates theme in Risen 2. The thing is - it's honestly just another really good and really solid Piranha Bytes RPG.

I still think they ain't touched the greatness that was Gothic 1, though. For me - there was really something special about that particular game.
I have Risen 1, but I haven't touched it. >.>

Thanks for the strong recommend! I was kinda wondering where/when/$ you picked it up, aah.

It looks like I won't be able to resist.

Piled higher and deeper! (in steam games)

I'm currently having a blast with TSW... I'm probably mid-way through Kingsmouth.

I have Risen 1, but I haven't touched it. >.>

Thanks for the strong recommend! I was kinda wondering where/when/$ you picked it up, aah.

It looks like I won't be able to resist.

Piled higher and deeper! (in steam games)

I'm currently having a blast with TSW... I'm probably mid-way through Kingsmouth.
I won it in a Risen 2 giveaway contest from GameFront, where they wanted to know what you'd name your Pirate Ship:

http://www.gamefront.com/risen-2-giveaway/

I suggested: "The Poop Deck." ;)

And well...I turned out a winner. :D

EDIT:

About TSW - yeah, I been playing that quite a bit, of late. I'm enjoying it much more than when I played it, during the Beta. I was burnt out w/ zombies after playing Dead Island + Ryder White - so walking into Kingsmouth for me was like, "Meh. Another zombie infestation."

But, worst of all, I didn't care for combat. I don't know if the switching b/t Cursor Mode and Target Mode was in the Beta - can't recall. But, since I found that since I bought TSW - it feels more appropriate for me when controlling my characters' movements (WSAD or Cursors for movement) that I have mouselook and free-aiming.

Gamers who suck at aiming can just play the game as it is, by default; while shooter gamers (if they aim for a gun-based characters here) can switch on-the-fly w/ Target Mode and aim like you normally would in a shooter. Gamers get their choice here - and have the best of both worlds here.

Risen 2 feels pretty awful with KB/M. The aim/camera control is really strange and doesn't listen to your input very well (and you have to crank sensitivity up). The game plays great on a controller though.

Risen 2 feels pretty awful with KB/M. The aim/camera control is really strange and doesn't listen to your input very well (and you have to crank sensitivity up). The game plays great on a controller though.
Thing is - I normally do crank sensitivity for the mouse way up, from the get-go for when using KB/mouse.

Usually not an issue for me.

Getting used to the unlocked-cam and how the right-mouse button for staying locked in one direction took some time to get used to. Once I did, I was fine.

Thing is - I normally do crank sensitivity for the mouse way up, from the get-go for when using KB/mouse.
Usually not an issue for me.

Getting used to the unlocked-cam and how the right-mouse button for staying locked in one direction took some time to get used to. Once I did, I was fine.
The sensitivity is only half the problem though. It's just... odd. Not a massively big deal if you prefer the game with KB/M, as you'll get used to it, but the camera control is perfect with a joystick.

The sensitivity is only half the problem though. It's just... odd. Not a massively big deal if you prefer the game with KB/M, as you'll get used to it, but the camera control is perfect with a joystick.
Since I did NOT play it w/ a gamepad/joystick and since you think the cam's perfect on a josytick/gamepad...

...do you feel they "Consolized" the game's controls (around the joystick/gamepad)?

Interestingly enough, I found a post on gamefaqs that claims all of Risen 2's DLC is actually included in the game data and can be unlocked via the testing mode. According to the post, the game only downloads additional voice files when it sees that the DLC has been purchased. The DLC is also mostly either preorder bonuses or content that came with various special editions.

Does anyone think it's worth shelling out any more $ for the dlc vs just grabbing the base game?

Interestingly enough, I found a post on gamefaqs that claims all of Risen 2's DLC is actually included in the game data and can be unlocked via the testing mode. According to the post, the game only downloads additional voice files when it sees that the DLC has been purchased. The DLC is also mostly either preorder bonuses or content that came with various special editions.

Does anyone think it's worth shelling out any more $ for the dlc vs just grabbing the base game?
If you're savvy enough to figure it out on your own, I'd save the money. If all it downloads is voice files, just make sure subtitles are turned on so you don't miss anything (assuming they don't also get downloaded, but maybe there's a workaround for that, too).

I'm so torn on buying the game or not. I know it's a buggy mess (all Piranha Bytes games seem to be), but it's so hard passing up unique RPGs. I played about 10 minutes into the first and it was just unacceptable, but 1.01 patch of Risen 2 gives me a little hope after watching initial reviews of the base game, where their main complaint was combat.

Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed the base game awhile ago for $5 on Nuuvem, so nice to know I don't need to waste more money on DLC.

I've been fighting off the urge to buy Risen 2 for a year now ... I think I'm going to bite at $5 .. but I have to ask my fellow CAGs ... Risen 2 vs Sacred 2 ... I know they're different genres but I'm also intrigued by Sacred 2 and it's also $5. Is there one that's a clear winner over the other? Thanks in advance!

Hmm, actually, after further research ... it appears that Scared 2 doesn't register on Steam ... making Risen 2 the clear choice for me (I'm a Steamophile ... ok, that term probably won't catch on ...)

I've been fighting off the urge to buy Risen 2 for a year now ... I think I'm going to bite at $5 .. but I have to ask my fellow CAGs ... Risen 2 vs Sacred 2 ... I know they're different genres but I'm also intrigued by Sacred 2 and it's also $5. Is there one that's a clear winner over the other? Thanks in advance!
Risen 2 has achievements, Sacred 2 Gold does not. My vote is R2 :boxing: (I'm the same about Steam, and obviously achievements. They give me the drive to keep playing even after I've burnt out, just to have something else to place in my "Finished" category.) Many games in my backlog I refuse to play until (if) they get steamchieves (FUUUUUU Batman Arkham Asylum, activate the damn things!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back