Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='javeryh']That article seems like pure speculation... I do think achievements and the DLC put the 360 version ahead of the PS3 version even if the PS3 version runs a little smoother and looks a little better but that's just my opinion.[/quote]

im not sure about running smoother... they are still trying to work out the bugs... patches are always late for ps3... remember the 60fps on 360 and 30fps on ps3 for most of the past games...

im sticking with the 360 version even if i have both systems

[quote name='shieryda'].... (Day 2 actually, because I won't be able to play it after the midnight release - sleep is more important).[/quote]

yeah, I'm wondering if I'll be able to sleep first or whether I'll "just want to see the opening" and then "just play one more mission" and finally look out the window and see the sun come up.

I agree with Jav and raise him the XBL/online component. Everyone I play with plays on 360, and that's a major reason I am getting that version.

[quote name='doc_zaius']yeah, I'm wondering if I'll be able to sleep first or whether I'll "just want to see the opening" and then "just play one more mission" and finally look out the window and see the sun come up.[/quote]

And by which I'll assume you mean on Wednesday morning.

[quote name='lordwow']I agree with Jav and raise him the XBL/online component. Everyone I play with plays on 360, and that's a major reason I am getting that version.[/quote]
But that's a personal reason, not a technical one.

Javery 2 points are most valid.

I love pirating movies and music. I don't like to pirate games as, one, I'm not a PC gamer, and two, they sometimes require "patches" to make things properly work, and can be troublesome.

Sabotage?

ClickOut.jpeg

You know I have no idea how you even get into multiplayer if I wanted to. I've played 3 hours and no such option came up to do online missions. Not that I want to, but I wish they would have added a title start screen menu in this game. I don't know why they like how you just load straight into the game.

[quote name='Bazz']You know I have no idea how you even get into multiplayer if I wanted to. I've played 3 hours and no such option came up to do online missions. Not that I want to, but I wish they would have added a title start screen menu in this game. I don't know why they like how you just load straight into the game.[/QUOTE]

You use your in game cellphone, which serves as your menu.

[quote name='shieryda']What do you guys think the free game will be for all us Live subscribers when the servers crash?[/quote]

I hope it's gonna be PacMan CE.

[quote name='shieryda']What do you guys think the free game will be for all us Live subscribers when the servers crash?[/QUOTE]

Hexic :lol:

Ah well...looks like the place I was hoping would break street date failed...they'll be selling it on Monday...fuck that I'll just wait for Tue or Wed whenever Amazon delivers.

I'm surprised they haven't thought about putting GTA or GTA2 on XBLA for this launch.

Sure, it's free on PC. But you guys will eat it up. NOM NOM NOM.

[quote name='zewone']You use your in game cellphone, which serves as your menu.[/quote]Haha I never thought about that. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='mrelusive']I'm surprised they haven't thought about putting GTA or GTA2 on XBLA for this launch.

Sure, it's free on PC. But you guys will eat it up. NOM NOM NOM.[/quote]

I was actually playing GTA1 last week.
After about 20 min's I wondered how I even put up with it. The camera zooms in and out so much it was literally making me seasick.

EGM review:

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

No triple A+ is a sham.

[quote name='dallow']No triple A+ is a sham.[/QUOTE]Indeed. I'm canceling my pre-order! I'll wait for this one to hit the bargain bin.

[quote name='help1']I like the ambulance lights reflecting off the leaves.[/quote]

I like how when he crashes the motorbike that he flies in-between the rails of the overhead traffic lights. :D

The 360 version definitely looks a lot darker, but it has a brightness option which definitely helps you be able to see stuff better when it is dark.

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the GTA IV guide the other day get this email from Amazon?

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on April 21 2008 13:11 PDT (Order# xxxx).

BradyGames (Author) "Grand Theft Auto IV Signature Series Guide
(Brady Games)" [Paperback]
Estimated ship date: 05/26/2008

You have unique (and excellent, of course) taste, and this item is difficult for us to get our hands on.

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on May 25 2008, if we haven't located it by then.

http://www.amazon.com/

You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/

If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account (www.amazon.com/your-account).

By approving the new delivery estimate, you are letting us know that
you still want the item(s) though they may arrive later than expected.
If there are other items in your order, they will ship according to the
delivery estimates listed in the order details in Your Account
(http://www.amazon.com/your-account).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

WHY WAS THE DELIVERY ESTIMATE CHANGED?
While we do our best to adhere to these estimates, our inventory is constantly
changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers. Occasionally,
unexpected fluctuations in supply or changes in release dates for new products will
add time to our original availability estimate.

WHAT IF I WANT TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY ORDER?
You can always check on your order by clicking on Your Account at the top
of any Amazon.com page. Once there, choose "Open and Recently Shipped Orders."

WHAT IF AN ITEM HAS SHIPPED AND I NO LONGER WANT IT?
If your shipment arrives too late, you may either refuse delivery or return
it to us for a refund. For returns instructions, please visit our Returns
Center at www.amazon.com/returns.

HOW DO I CONTACT YOU ABOUT MY ORDER?
If you have more questions about this order, you can e-mail or phone Customer
Service by clicking the "Customer Service" button in the Contact Us box on
the right side of any Help page (www.amazon.com/help).

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address
that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

I am unthrilled.

[quote name='bmachine']Did anyone else who pre-ordered the GTA IV guide the other day get this email from Amazon?

I am unthrilled.[/quote]
Yeah...I got it. My guess is that they haven't gotten them in yet or they got a buttload of preorders that they couldn't fulfill...I'm sure they'll get them shipped at launch, or a couple days after.

Here's the IGN PS3 review:
Same shit.

10 Presentation
The story is Oscar quality. The use of the phone as a gaming portal is genius. There's really nothing more that could be asked for from GTA IV.

10 Graphics
The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.

10 Sound
The dialogue makes the story. Without the excellent writing and the stellar voice acting, the story would fail. And the soundtrack kills -- more than 200 songs and almost all are great choices.

10 Gameplay
The cover and targeting system work great. Blind firing with an RPG is a thing of beauty. Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad. The most fun I've had in years.

10 Lasting Appeal
The story will take anywhere from 25-45 hours to complete, depending on your skill level and attention span. There's plenty more to do once you finish the story, such as excellent multiplayer.

Masterful OVERALL

@zewone

nowlive or ustream is both pretty good.

yesterday on nowlive before the actual cag show, beanopolis(sp?) was playing oblivion over his webcam. It looked smooth w/ ~ 40-80people in the room.

[quote name='dallow']Here's the IGN PS3 review:
Same shit.

10 Presentation
The story is Oscar quality. The use of the phone as a gaming portal is genius. There's really nothing more that could be asked for from GTA IV.

10 Graphics
The level of detail is astounding. Liberty City feels alive and lived in. While there are some technical issues, the artistic merits push the score to the max. A true marvel.

10 Sound
The dialogue makes the story. Without the excellent writing and the stellar voice acting, the story would fail. And the soundtrack kills -- more than 200 songs and almost all are great choices.

10 Gameplay
The cover and targeting system work great. Blind firing with an RPG is a thing of beauty. Everything works in harmony and not a single one of the missions is bad. The most fun I've had in years.

10 Lasting Appeal
The story will take anywhere from 25-45 hours to complete, depending on your skill level and attention span. There's plenty more to do once you finish the story, such as excellent multiplayer.

Masterful OVERALL
[/quote]I don't believe what they have to say. The only reason this game gets a perfect 10 because the title Gta

[quote name='Wolve11']The 360 version definitely looks a lot darker, but it has a brightness option which definitely helps you be able to see stuff better when it is dark.[/quote]This is so true the game is so dark. It is a must to adjust the brightness settings.

[quote name='Bazz']I don't believe what they have to say. The only reason this game gets a perfect 10 because the title Gta[/quote]

So the only reason it got a 10 is because it's part of one of the greatest franchises of all time composed of amazing games?

I have nothing against reading. I like reading, a lot.

But this IGN review is 7 damn pages long. I mean who the hell wants to read something that long on their monitor. If this review was in a magazine then I would have a different opinion. Reading large amounts of text on a monitor gets tiresome and it is easy to lose attention. I thought 4 page IGN reviews were too long, but holy shit 7 pages is overkill. Just because there isn't a real word limit on the internet, it doesn't mean that you should write 7 pages of stuff most people aren't going to read.

I bet you this post is already too long and most people aren't even going to read it.

Yeah I feel the same way...these so called reviewers always tend to go overboard. I always just skip to the last page, read the closing comments and the score breakdown...that's all I need really.

got my OXM magizine today. It had a long review about gta4(6pages?). 9.5/10. OXM didn't like the first 8 hours, something about the training/learning the controls missions were boring &
about not being to free roam until you finish the first 8 hours.
not sure if thats a spoiler.

[quote name='Mahoney07']There's a video review on IGN too.[/quote]

Yeah I watched it and it wasn't good at all.

Don't get me wrong GTA IV is going to be absolutely amazing, but the whole video screams forced spectacle. It starts off with their oh my god this is THE world exclusive review and it is the best thing ever. Hilary basically admits that the IGN review scale is broken stating that they haven't given out a 10 in about 10 years. What is the point of having a 10 score if it is basically unattainable? The music and the way Hilary was speaking seemed very unnatural too.

What I mean is that the video review didn't seem like it was an objective piece of journalism and instead played out like an advertisement.

[quote name='naiku']got my OXM magizine today. It had a long review about gta4(6pages?). 9.5/10. OXM didn't like the first 8 hours, something about the training/learning the controls missions were boring &
about not being to free roam until you finish the first 8 hours.
not sure if thats a spoiler.[/quote]

I would of thought they would of gave GTA IV a 10 seeing as how Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and Halo 3 all received a 10.

hey, wait a second, you know what you guys could do instead of complaining about someone else's score? play the damn thing yourself and form your own opinion. i think it comes out tuesday...

bread's done
Back