Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega is Looking Into How to Make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD a Reality

The publisher said there are various licensing issues involved with the original releases, and that despite this they would love to do it – they even said they are “currently investigating how to make it a reality.”

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan character trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PMRTe_qulk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmFfJGA75zU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYqJ_UtVFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLouI1ZUrHg

Cooperation Is Critical In MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies’ Multiplayer

Randomly logged into my Best Buy account overview to check how long till my GCU expires and noticed I have a $5 cert expiring Saturday.

Got any suggestions? Can't let it go to waste...

Randomly logged into my Best Buy account overview to check how long till my GCU expires and noticed I have a $5 cert expiring Saturday.

Just pre order a game with it, then cancel it. You'll get the $5 back with a new expiration date.

If you happen to be a My Best Buy Elite member it's possible to enable banking of certificates. They'll just add up without expiration and then you can issue the amount you want.

If aren't, you could always get a pre-paid card for PSN / Nintendo or something I guess?

Does anyone know if the Guilty Gear XRD Revelator collector's edition from Rice Digital is the North American version? If not, how does the DLC work for a European game on an American console?

Thanks, I'll do the preorder idea. Maybe I'll even keep the preorder - I'm considering Valkyria Chronicles Remastered since it'd only be $20 but not sure

Blanc hat finally marked as shipped. I probably won't get it until next week cuz usps sucks.
Same here. And the shipping details only say that the shipping label has been created, which pretty much means that the game won't get to me until next week too.....bummer. Guess Uncharted will be my main focus this week.

Does anyone know if the Guilty Gear XRD Revelator collector's edition from Rice Digital is the North American version? If not, how does the DLC work for a European game on an American console?
Nope, its purely EU, as Aksys stated that there won't be an LE for the US, but there might be something included for the physical release. Either way, you'll have to have the same copy of the game (for example EU GG Xrd Rev), and a EU PSN Account. After that, you're all set, as DLC isn't console restricted, only account/region restricted. (Though there have been exceptions for some games, but mostly that's the case.)

I don't know why anyone is surprised about the Blanc LE (unless this is the first time they bought from Iffy). They always come about a week after the game releases.

Nope, its purely EU, as Aksys stated that there won't be an LE for the US, but there might be something included for the physical release. Either way, you'll have to have the same copy of the game (for example EU GG Xrd Rev), and a EU PSN Account. After that, you're all set, as DLC isn't console restricted, only account/region restricted. (Though there have been exceptions for some games, but mostly that's the case.)
I see. So if I buy the EU edition and redeem the DLC, I'll only be able to access it while playing on the EU account?

Sega is Looking Into How to Make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD a Reality

The publisher said there are various licensing issues involved with the original releases, and that despite this they would love to do it – they even said they are “currently investigating how to make it a reality.”
If it was only possible to bring back the Saturn RPG hit Panzer Dragoon Saga. I lucked into a copy many, many years ago and enjoyed it. Would rather see that remade for it's super unique, cool combat system and, from what I remember, enjoyable story (was a teen, so dunno...). Shenmue would likely be super clunky these days.

Maybe that's my Saturn tinted glasses...

If this happens, I will preorder it/them day fuck ing one, no questions asked.
I think a lot of people said this about Final Fantasy VII's remake and now they're starting to ask questions.

I guess this is more of a remaster than a remake, though.

I see. So if I buy the EU edition and redeem the DLC, I'll only be able to access it while playing on the EU account?
No as long as the EU account uses your console as its primary, the DLC will be shared among accounts. So the EU game + dlc will work on your US acct, I'm almost positive

Atelier Sophie Hands-On: A Welcome Refresh

The King of Fighters XIV ‘Team Gameplay’ trailer #1: Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSaoSUwH-I

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice third Japanese trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLHNQxnRI5Y

Ys VIII PS Vita models announced for Japan - “Ys VIII Black Pearl” and “Ys VIII White Clelia” editions.

Ys-VIII-PSV-Models-JP-Ann_001.jpg

Mary Skelter details battle basics

I think games are going to start being like the movies. Rarely does someone come up with an original idea, and often times it just borrows from other ideas and puts a new spin on it. There are already hundreds of games that are beloved that most of us would buy again in the event they added more content. The problem with that is, often times they try to recreate the magic and fail miserably. 

The IOS release of FF6 comes to mind. I loathed the fact that they took my favorite game and made it look like someone repackaged it with RPG maker. I'd jump at the chance to play more content for that game if they were able to recreate what it was back in 1994. I seriously doubt it.

I have a feeling we're going to see many more game rereleased with updated graphics, extended storylines, and over the top graphics. There's a reason I like games with a unique story over pretty scenery.

Was not sure when my friend mentioned it earlier on teamspeak but I can confirm after looking at steam that  in fact Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster is being released tomorrow on steam.

It was out of the blue I had no mention of it being released anytime soon but it is there on steam saying it going to be released in 14 hours for those that are interested in a pc version of games remastered.

PS. My MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies Limited Edition ship today as well.

No as long as the EU account uses your console as its primary, the DLC will be shared among accounts. So the EU game + dlc will work on your US acct, I'm almost positive
Oh, wow. That's cool... so there's not much of a downside to importing a EU game over a NA game.

I think games are going to start being like the movies. Rarely does someone come up with an original idea, and often times it just borrows from other ideas and puts a new spin on it. There are already hundreds of games that are beloved that most of us would buy again in the event they added more content. The problem with that is, often times they try to recreate the magic and fail miserably.

The IOS release of FF6 comes to mind. I loathed the fact that they took my favorite game and made it look like someone repackaged it with RPG maker. I'd jump at the chance to play more content for that game if they were able to recreate what it was back in 1994. I seriously doubt it.

I have a feeling we're going to see many more game rereleased with updated graphics, extended storylines, and over the top graphics. There's a reason I like games with a unique story over pretty scenery.
Yeah pretty much and when someone finds something that works (such as the Neptunia series of IFI) they milk it for as much as they can. It's hard to be original when half the stuff that comes out are sequels/remakes/remasters/rereleases/etc. I know I don't quite love games like I used to....same with anime. When you have so many things around, it really takes special ones to really stick with you to beat them in the first place, and then for it to leave an impact on you. Really the only thing recently that gave me that addictiveness of sorts was the Overwatch beta and Pocket Card Jockey. Not saying the rest I played was rubbish, such as the Dark Souls 3 I need to finish, but it feels like it's been done a lot before, though it is refined of course. Just a bit boring is all. It's one reason i'm skipping on the CoD release this year. Same old, same old. Likely will get Battlefield 1 to play with friends, but even doing WW1 makes it pretty interesting....I like those planes and weapons of that era.

Oh, wow. That's cool... so there's not much of a downside to importing a EU game over a NA game.
Yeah, but it kinda bites when EU can only get DLC characters either via pre-ordering the physical (either standard in certain EU/PAL stores or the LE Let's Rock) for Raven, or Digital for Haehyun on the EU/PAL PS Stores. US however gets both free on the US PS Store, with the Eclipse Colors, 2 weeks free after launch of the US release.

Wild Guns Reloaded Announced, Exclusive to PlayStation 4
http://nichegamer.com/2016/05/12/wild-guns-reloaded-announced-exclusive-to-playstation-4/

Monster Hunter Generations Launches July 15 in the West, Limited Edition 3DS XL Revealed
http://nichegamer.com/2016/05/12/monster-hunter-generations-launches-july-15-in-the-west/

Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice Footage Shows Off The Game’s Demo
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/12/ace-attorney-spirit-justice-footage-shows-off-games-demo/
https://youtu.be/7v8fy37bNMY
https://youtu.be/0c2jCuDWUIE

Gran Turismo Sport New Trailer Coming May 19, PS4 Racing Game Set for Unveiling
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/gran-turismo-sport-new-trailer-coming-may-19

Lumines: Puzzle & Music and Lumines VS Announced for Smartphones
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/lumines-puzzle-music-lumines-vs-announced-smartphones

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster has been released on Steam going price of 29.99 with 20% off making it 23.99 til May 19th.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Special Edition is up on Best Buy.

Sorry, can't post a link since Best Buy is blocked at work. :p

Best Buy is usually pretty good about packaging, but I think I might stick with Gamestop this time since I paid with credit anyway, personally.

That's great!. Best Buy sent me a message earlier saying they will not allow me to order online anymore and that they have no responsibility to tell my why. Man I've had some shitty days lately. I spent so much money, have lots of credit, and I'm basically banned and I don't know why. Shit...

Edit: fuck Best Buy!

Edit 2: Way too much of a misleading email sent by them. Also not that great on communication overall.

Maybe overall in my entire GCU membership? They've canceled on me a lot more times than I canceled on them, ironically. Eh whatever. It's still a good deal for everybody else. I'm just having a terrible week, like a total disaster since it started. And I'm probably missing the Miku concert, which really just fucking kills me the closer it gets to it. Goddammit.

Edit: Finally got somebody to talk to me, said they won't ship to my address anymore, I'd have to try somewhere else. At least they weren't as much an asshole this time. Why didn't they just tell me that in the first place? I can pick it up at a friend or family's house. Wtf...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Special Edition is up on Best Buy.

Sorry, can't post a link since Best Buy is blocked at work. :p

Best Buy is usually pretty good about packaging, but I think I might stick with Gamestop this time since I paid with credit anyway, personally.
I thought this was a Gamestop/Amazon only thing? I've now got 3 copies preordered and it's likely I will never even play this game. Need to find the weakest link and drop an order.

Yeah I didn't expect it to pop up at Best Buy. I'm starting to wonder how rare or hard to find it's actually going to be. Not that I really care, If I get it I'd still open it and play it and use the codes, so it's worthless anyways.

P.O. Box. They never had a problem before. Plus I put my home address on the second line always so it's not like it takes a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Anyways, I guess it's my fault? I have no clue. I need to check it out and make sure they're not just bullshitting me and they'll send something to a street address, sometime.

Edit: They have lost my packages before though, in-store pickup even, I've never had any luck with Best Buy but it's cheap so I'm not bitchin' about them for that.

Edit 2: It just tells me it can't ship to this address anyways still... I'm just going to shut up about it, though.

Thanks for the heads up about the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE LE being up on Best Buy. Made sure to lock in an order. That article about the further changes to the localization is pretty disappointing, but I will still be getting the game. 

Wow, thanks to whoever found out that Best Buy is selling TMS #FE SE. Don't care if the game is censored, as the gameplay is still the same. 

bread's done
Back