Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

Glad we're going to be getting it free. Now if only Microsoft would get off Valve's back and let them bring the Team Fortress 2 updates to the 360 for free as well.

[quote name='Tsukento']Glad we're going to be getting it free. Now if only Microsoft would get off Valve's back and let them bring the Team Fortress 2 updates to the 360 for free as well.[/QUOTE]

They're gonna patch it pro bono, but expect to pay for the new maps/modes. You can't expect MS to let Valve give actual content out on the marketplace for free. This L4D "DLC" can hardly be considered content since they're just changing the content that you already own and paid for.

Is anyone still playing this? I got it recently and really want to play some co-op with people. Just add me to your friends list. (Warning: you may have to save my character several times :))

Still playing and still have a few achievements left whenever I feel like getting off my lazy ass to hunt for them. I'll add you.

I got the game a while ago, and played it non stop for like a week but then I got tired of it fast. Hopefully the DLC will bring the game back into my 360. What's really annoying is that the PC gamers get all the DLC for free :(

[quote name='Trakan']There's really no excuse as to why they didn't have the other two campaigns available in versus mode. If they weren't finished, the game shouldn't have launched when it did. It wasn't done. I understand they want to get it out for the Holiday, but to ship it unfinished is inexcusable.

I'm also willing to bet those 12 "maps" they're touting are just different spots in each of the 4 campaigns. "Survival" is probably already on the disc already, just needs to be activated.

All shit that should have been available from the start.[/QUOTE]

Don't be dumb, they didn't release the game unfinished... so two campaign maps were missing from versus, did they promise those 2 maps on release..? No, you just expected them.

Yeah your totally right about survival, it's already on the disc and just needs to be activated, because Valve is totally known for removing content so they can give it away for FREE. Unbelievable.

Who the hell are you trying to kid, this is Valve, not Namco.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Mmm no. Trakan's right. The game should have come with more. Why the fuck would anyone pay to get ACCESS to shit that you can already play in one mode but not in another? This whole thing should never have been called DLC and instead a "patch" since all it does is give the player more access to features they already paid for. And Survivor mode probably cost them very little. A few lines of code telling the game when and how many Zombies to throw at the player at a certain time on maps they already own should not cost the player any money.

I expect Valve to do this with the Orange Box, if the fabled patch ever comes out for TF2. I expect a free patch that fixes and re-balances the game to match the PC version, but a pay-for-DLC pack of new maps and modes.[/QUOTE]

What stupid logic, try reading the back of Left 4 Dead, or anywhere that lists the specifications of L4D, no where does it mention that 4 campaign maps will be included in versus, so you actually did get what you paid for. You believe your entitled to something that was never promised to you in the first place, pretty stupid if you ask me. Take some time and check how long and tedious it is to transform these maps over to versus, as a PC mod has already been made.

And it is DLC, not a patch.. patch's generally do not include new gametypes and extra maps. What about games that charge you $5 for an extra character (Soul Calibur 4), or how about $25 worth of DLC that actually makes it the full version (Lumines)

Probably cost them very little, all they had to do was add a line of code..? Oh I forgot, you program for Valve, and obviously help market the game too. Hilarious though, as this "code" you described is actually what the AI director does, but you program for Valve remember, so that's alright. I don't remember reading anywhere that survivor mode will be played on maps we already own, but I guess you know everything.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']They're gonna patch it pro bono, but expect to pay for the new maps/modes. You can't expect MS to let Valve give actual content out on the marketplace for free. This L4D "DLC" can hardly be considered content since they're just changing the content that you already own and paid for.[/QUOTE]

Why can't we expect MS to give content out for free..? Shouldn't that be one benefit of Xbox Live gold, instead of exclusive demos and online play. Doesn't matter anyway, the PC gets all the patches first, higher resolutions, mods that create new campaigns, etc. (Already a dawn of the dead campaign almost finished) as well as all the DLC.. plus I'd hate to play with the same people who play Halo 3 and COD, downright scary.

[quote name='Trakan']I agree that it being free is a good thing. I'm not shitting on the fact that it's taking a few months, I'm just saying that everyone who's saying "Valve - 1, MS - 0" and "I'm glad it's free!" that the shit should have been free in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious you say this "patch" should have been free.. I mean for fucks sake, Xbox Live SHOULD have been free in the frist place. You whine about getting something for free, that YOU think should have been in the game in the first place, but yet you have no trouble spending $50 a year for nothing more than P2P online gaming... oh, and exclusive demos.

And for good measure, Valve >> Microsoft

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like an opinion on this game. If I were to mostly play this single player would I still enjoy it? And how is the multiplayer with strangers? I have a small handful of people on my FL that play this but we aren't usually on at the same times.

Thanks for you input.

[quote name='ZForce915']I'd like an opinion on this game. If I were to mostly play this single player would I still enjoy it? And how is the multiplayer with strangers? I have a small handful of people on my FL that play this but we aren't usually on at the same times.

Thanks for you input.[/quote]

computer controlled AI isn't great, I was bored with them after the initial chapter of solo play. Playing with real people is so much better....

as long as those people aren't assphats, which there are alot of them out there.

ZForce, you generally get a worse experience playing with randoms than with playing with friends.. but you can add anyone of us in here if you ever want to play a game.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Don't be dumb, they didn't release the game unfinished... so two campaign maps were missing from versus, did they promise those 2 maps on release..? No, you just expected them.

Yeah your totally right about survival, it's already on the disc and just needs to be activated, because Valve is totally known for removing content so they can give it away for FREE. Unbelievable.

Who the hell are you trying to kid, this is Valve, not Namco.

What stupid logic, try reading the back of Left 4 Dead, or anywhere that lists the specifications of L4D, no where does it mention that 4 campaign maps will be included in versus, so you actually did get what you paid for. You believe your entitled to something that was never promised to you in the first place, pretty stupid if you ask me. Take some time and check how long and tedious it is to transform these maps over to versus, as a PC mod has already been made.

And it is DLC, not a patch.. patch's generally do not include new gametypes and extra maps. What about games that charge you $5 for an extra character (Soul Calibur 4), or how about $25 worth of DLC that actually makes it the full version (Lumines)

Probably cost them very little, all they had to do was add a line of code..? Oh I forgot, you program for Valve, and obviously help market the game too. Hilarious though, as this "code" you described is actually what the AI director does, but you program for Valve remember, so that's alright. I don't remember reading anywhere that survivor mode will be played on maps we already own, but I guess you know everything.

Why can't we expect MS to give content out for free..? Shouldn't that be one benefit of Xbox Live gold, instead of exclusive demos and online play. Doesn't matter anyway, the PC gets all the patches first, higher resolutions, mods that create new campaigns, etc. (Already a dawn of the dead campaign almost finished) as well as all the DLC.. plus I'd hate to play with the same people who play Halo 3 and COD, downright scary.

Hilarious you say this "patch" should have been free.. I mean for fucks sake, Xbox Live SHOULD have been free in the frist place. You whine about getting something for free, that YOU think should have been in the game in the first place, but yet you have no trouble spending $50 a year for nothing more than P2P online gaming... oh, and exclusive demos.

And for good measure, Valve >> Microsoft[/quote]

Your coming across as a huge Valve apologist.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Don't be dumb, they didn't release the game unfinished... so two campaign maps were missing from versus, did they promise those 2 maps on release..? No, you just expected them.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I can't believe I expected all the maps that are available in campaign to be available in versus. There's a reason why it's free. It's shit that should have been there in the first place.

You comparing apples to oranges with this patch/DLC and paying for XBL. You're a Valve fanboy and I'm done with you.

[quote name='Trakan']Oh yeah, I can't believe I expected all the maps that are available in campaign to be available in versus. There's a reason why it's free. It's shit that should have been there in the first place.

You comparing apples to oranges with this patch/DLC and paying for XBL. You're a Valve fanboy and I'm done with you.[/QUOTE]

Typical Microsoft fanboy response, this has nothing to do with me being a fanboy, this is responding to your stupid non-sense posts, that spread slander against a developer who doesn't deserve it.

You failed in your arguments, no apple or orange comparison here..so just be done with it.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Your coming across as a huge Valve apologist.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, you actually know what that means?

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Typical Microsoft fanboy response, this has nothing to do with me being a fanboy, this is responding to your stupid non-sense posts, that spread slander against a developer who doesn't deserve it.[/quote]...your avatar is Half-Life.

It's a stupid argument all together, really.
Everyone has their opinions, no need to flame them just to try and prove a point.

Actually I agree with Havoc you guys are coming across as whiny bitches. Why did you expect all the maps from campaign to be in versus right away? They never said it was going to be...they said they would release them at a later date beacuse for some reason or another they couldnt by release. I guess we should hate a company that is actually honest sometimes.

As Havoc said a ton of games are release with entire game modes not included and half the time you are forced to get DLC to continue playing certain things online. How are you guys bitching for something free that isnt fluff and actually improves the game?

L4D is the most balanced, well thought out game that has been release in years. Not only that Valve listened directly to the Fans and you can see it in the very first patch/DLC. Everyone bitched about the smoker not being strong enough and now they patch it to be just like everyone wanted.

For fucks sake Valve still has support for Half Life 1. Out of all of the developers that claim to be about the fans Valve is the closest to it. I just dont get what your complaint is....Valve is heads and shoulders above any other company as far as fan support for the last couple years and you are crying because they didnt have 2 maps at the beginning but are bringing them to you for free when we all know Mircosoft is about charging for DLC.

I mean what the hell else do you want them to do? That exploit where people could spawn witches and tanks....patched......people complained about the smoker being to weak....patched...more maps and for free with a new game mode...coming soon. All the while.....aren't people still waiting for Gears of War 2 multiplayer to be actually...you know...playable?

[quote name='dastly75']Hey it's the internet, people have to find something to bitch about.[/quote]

Heh...this is true. For instance, right now I wanna bitch about how I can't get the Crownd achievement to save my ass! Normally, I'm not an achievement point whore, but my girlfriend and I have a rivalry in points for certain games, and she pissed at me for getting more points in her game, DOA4. Now she's threatening to do the same to me in my favorite game L4D, plus add insult to injury by getting the one I can't seem to get before I do. :hot:

Grrrr...I can't have that! :bomb: Fellow CAGs, help a mate out and let me know the secret to getting this elusive thing, please?

Just put it on easy. Use an auto shotty. When she starts to get up, wait until she is almost fully standing, then shoot her in the teeth.

[quote name='moojuice']Just put it on easy. Use an auto shotty. When she starts to get up, wait until she is almost fully standing, then shoot her in the teeth.[/quote]

I got the achievement on expert, just walk up to her with lights off of course and just starting popping off as many rounds as you can with your auto shotgun.

Having it on Easy you should have zero problems with this.

Ah, so I gotta wait till she's almost standing before a single shot counts? Duh...I've been sneaking up on her and blasting her in the back of the skull. Whoops.

Thanks, guys! :twisted:

I'm pretty bored right now. I could go for a campaign or versus. I plan on delving into the Bring Down The Sky DLC of Mass Effect soon though so if you're interested you've got a small window to attract my attention, haha.

It's no secret I love me some Mass Effect. >_>;

An update kicked in early this morning while I was playing.

Seems like it's only visual updates for the Special Infected. You now have status bars showing your team mates' health when playing as the Infected. Tanks can now see what exactly they can punch around due to the punchable objects being highlighted in red.

That...seems about it, though. None of the glitches were patched.

[quote name='Tsukento']An update kicked in early this morning while I was playing.

Seems like it's only visual updates for the Special Infected. You now have status bars showing your team mates' health when playing as the Infected. Tanks can now see what exactly they can punch around due to the punchable objects being highlighted in red.

That...seems about it, though. None of the glitches were patched.[/quote]

Yep, supposedly they're going to be porting the updates little by little.

Did a little research from other players.

-Smokers deal damage while pulling now, rather than just by strangulation or having the survivors next to them.
-Hunters have a shorter minimum pounce distance. No more overshooting what should be short hops.
-Boomers deal better melee damage.
-Tanks can now take four survivors with Shotguns better.

[quote name='Tsukento']Did a little research from other players.

-Smokers deal damage while pulling now, rather than just by strangulation or having the survivors next to them.
-Hunters have a shorter minimum pounce distance. No more overshooting what should be short hops.
-Tanks can now take four survivors with Shotguns better.[/quote]

That's what they patched in the PC a month ago... but I'm still hearing it was only visual updates.

[quote name='Tsukento']Did a little research from other players.

-Tanks can now take four survivors with Shotguns better.[/quote]

Smoker update is great, I always thought they should deal damage.

Overshooting is still a problem though

Boomer's melee sucks...well melee for boomer in general.

Tanks always went down hard with shotguns, glad they fixed this.

So does the 360 get updated when the PC get updated too?

Just wondering ... they should come out with release notes of when they do, but I don't know if they ever show them in the update tab in Steam.

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Ah, so I gotta wait till she's almost standing before a single shot counts? Duh...I've been sneaking up on her and blasting her in the back of the skull. Whoops.

Thanks, guys! :twisted:[/quote]
I've been doing the same thing...I'm going to try this tonight...

[quote name='xycury']So does the 360 get updated when the PC get updated too?[/quote]
Definitely not. PC got a crap ton of updates that fixed glitches and tactics that are too difficult to get around (such as the survivors getting under the walkway of the Rooftop chapter in No Mercy and melee spamming everything while avoiding most damage until a Tank comes along).

It's taken them a while because Valve's been trying to work something out with Microsoft to allow them to make updates/DLC available for free. Team Fortress 2 got screwed because of Microsoft wanting to charge for updates.

One thing's for sure, Hunters disturbing Witches is STILL intact and funny as hell. :applause:

As for campaign, I need just Blood Harvest on Expert and I can finally get "What are you trying to prove?" But fuck, that's the hardest one on Expert. :bomb:

Nice, at least a chunk of the update is live now.

Time to get back to being addicted to this.

Full patch list.

General
Fixed Survivors being able to climb surfaces marked for versus infected only Fixed a class of SurvivorBot bugs dealing with rescuing downed players Players can no longer grab ladders while flying through the air after a Tank punch Shooting near a car with an alarm that has already fired the alarm will no longer make chirping noises Fixed mini-gun physics exploit Fixed propane tanks (and other physics objects) causing players to fall through elevators Fixed rare achievement bug issues Fixed several map exploits

Versus Changes
Added HUD elements to show status of other infected players Fixed instance where a Survivor changing to the infected team would be attacked by infected bots Normalized special infected melee damage Fixed exploit where infected players could run away and teleport back to gain health Players can only change teams once per map Players can't change teams while other players are still loading Tank spawns at the same % through the map for both teams in versus mode Made the Tank and Witch spawn directly on the escape route Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch Fixed team swap issue

Hunter
Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing Increased Minimum damage a Hunter pounce does

Smoker
Fixed Smoker tongue tolerance
Smoker now has to be killed or the tongue destroyed for the tongue to break Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging Tongue attacks that fail to paralyze or hang a Survivor will use the shorter ability delay timer Fixed cases where the ability timer was not using the correct time Fixed case where you could point at a Survivor but not register a tongue hit Fixed Smoker tongue not targeting and landing properly through PZ ghosts Smoker tongue does damage every second while dragging paralyzed Survivors

Tank
Bashable objects now appear with a red glow Tanks hitting a car with an alarm disables the alarm permanently Tank frustration timer is only reset by hitting Survivors with rocks or fists Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks

Witch
Witch spawns at the same % through the map for both teams Avoids spawning within a certain % of the tank Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors

Doesn't seem 100% accurate.

Quite a few things mentioned there were still doable, like freeing a survivor from a Smoker's tongue by bashing them before the Smoker can pull them in.

[quote name='cmart05']yo geist if they fixed the achievement glitches we might be able to unlock safety first finally.[/quote]

Oh my lulz... Don't jinx us man. Judging from our history with this damn game and that achievement those updates will unleash a whole new set of bullshit glitches that'll STILL prevent us for getting it. ;\

I'll totally start playing Versus on a regular basis though after we've gotten our console updates.

Huh. That's odd. Looks like a good number of stuff from the update started to pop up eventually.

Also worth noting that there are now crates in No Mercy's under the walkway. No more meleeing everything off with nothing but a Tank to hurt you. Speaking of a Tank though, I think I had the best time playing as a Tank in a good long time.

I spawned as the Tank in the hospital chapter close to the route where the safe room is. Whoever was playing Louis had absolutely no idea a Tank was coming considering he didn't face me until I punched him right the hell off the building. Francis comes along and tries shooting me down, only to get punched to the big stack of bags of cement, which required he be pulled up. Next came Zoey, who tried running away. She ended up somewhat like Francis, only landing on a trash can. Punched the can and she fell right the hell off.

Then came Bill, who ran out of ammo earlier apparently, had one pistol and very little health to begin with. One rock chuck and he was down.

The other side got so pissed, they voted for a return to lobby to try for a do over. :lol:

Damn...still didn't get cr0wned. Thought I had the one, but it took 2 shots. I did, however, light one of the bitches on fire, so at least I got that achievement.

Dude it took me forever to get crowned for some reason. I still dont know what it is, either I shoot to fast or to slow.....ah well. I am just glad I 1000/1000 before the update because its going to be twice has hard now.

Yeah, it took me a while to get Cr0wnd. I ended up getting it by chance when I wasn't trying to actually do it. That's usually how I got my achievements; by not actually trying to get them. Like Headshotting a Hunter in mid-leap, or Man vs Tank.

What's this about the 1000/1000 achievement being harder to get now?

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, it took me a while to get Cr0wnd. I ended up getting it by chance when I wasn't trying to actually do it. That's usually how I got my achievements; by not actually trying to get them. Like Headshotting a Hunter in mid-leap, or Man vs Tank.

What's this about the 1000/1000 achievement being harder to get now?[/quote]

because I think with the update they got rid of the dashboard glitch.

Well, I dont know about the dashboard glitch I got all mine expect 1 legit.

Its just harder now beacuse of the Smoker being stronger and some of the work arounds not being there anymore.

Ah, okay, I gotcha now.

Haven't heard anything on whether the dashboard glitch is gone or not. Hope not for the sake of just getting that achievement for Blood Harvest on Expert. Good lord is it ever hard. Especially now that Tanks can take longer to kill with shotguns.

Thanks to everyone who accepted my friend invite. I hope to get on some time tonight, but I have been known to get sidetracked ;)

For those that didn't accept my xbox live ID is FictionalFact (which I wish I could change for free).

[quote name='Tsukento']Ah, okay, I gotcha now.

Haven't heard anything on whether the dashboard glitch is gone or not. Hope not for the sake of just getting that achievement for Blood Harvest on Expert. Good lord is it ever hard. Especially now that Tanks can take longer to kill with shotguns.[/quote]

Yeah, we legit beat all campaigns on Expert, but it's just irritating to constantly start from the beginning every night when you know you can get to the final on a constant basis so that's why I loved the dashboard glitch to just start the game at that one part.

If they didn't fix the Tank getting stuck in the window of the house in BH glitch than it shouldn't be to tough.. but yeah me, Geist and Ivan legit beat Blood Harvest after 20million tries lol so I'm glad that I found a glitch for that.

I gotta thank playing with randoms to knowing most of the glitches that I do know though... while it sucks to play with randoms at times it does have it's benefits to lol. If you want to make a run at BH:Expert let me know.

bread's done
Back