Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

So, anybody else experience a glitch where the rifle holster disappears... and then never comes back? I actually replayed an earlier mission and it was there and then was gone once I had beaten it.

What's up with this?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I just can't fathom what a next gen RDR would be like... do you guys think they'll ever make another RD? I mean after the company basically imploded near the end, I don't have much faith... but I hope hope hope![/QUOTE]I sure hope so. Come to think of it, they could rewind a little bit and do something in the Civil War era. Imagine Charleston or some similar city. You ride out a ways and come upon huge battles between North and South.

[quote name='BingoBrown']http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...tle-Update-Expected-To-Release-Next-Week.html

Title update, expected to be released next week, that addresses the various bugs in both single and multiplayer.

Also, the two losing outfits from the Gamestop pre-order voting, the Expert Hunter and Savvy Merchant, will both be released for free later this summer.[/QUOTE]

I figured the fail-outfits from the Gamestop promo would be released eventually, and thankfully they will be free.

Pretty sure the Co-op Mission Pack is due out this month as well .. also slated to be free, I believe.

[quote name='BingoBrown']http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...tle-Update-Expected-To-Release-Next-Week.html

Title update, expected to be released next week, that addresses the various bugs in both single and multiplayer.

Also, the two losing outfits from the Gamestop pre-order voting, the Expert Hunter and Savvy Merchant, will both be released for free later this summer.[/QUOTE]

cool i always thought the expert hunter outfit was the best one of those three.

Awesome! Two outfits that have to do with saving and getting more money in a game where money is near useless and already waaaay to easy to come into large quantities of.

Not that gaining money in the game should be harder (Just look at the mineral mining in Mass Effect; total horse shit). However, there should be more for you to spend your money on.

Thanks for the news though!

Would be cool to buy your own ranch or something. Herding cattle, mating horses, cleaning up cow pies... Yep, triple-A mini-game right there!

Really though, yes, they really made money near useless. Though, I really enjoyed bank robberies in the beginning when I had low amounts of cash (I don't like hunting beyond the challenges, atleast not having to watch the skinning animation. At least you can park your horse on corpses!).

And more/custom outfits. Why is the 'Old Duster' outfit basically a brown version of the Legend of the West outfit?! UGH! I was wearing the one costume I was trying to earn all along!

Ah well, absolutely love the game. There HAS to be another 'sequel'. Such a nice change from GTA/GTA 4. Getting tired of running around cityscapes with the same scumbags and very, very basic two-tier weapons. A prequel would even work, or perhaps even from another perspective. Infact, I want a bow and arrow weapon!

*passes out while salivating about future possibilities*

I wish they had a hometown in the game (Assassins Creed 2) that you could upgrade, maintain, etc and make it your own home base. Set the economy either via trade, ranch, etc or through gambling, prostitution, etc. or both. Would also have been nice to buy property, businesses, railroads, whatever. Maybe something they can do for an expansion back add on. Who knows.

I do not know the sales for the game but I am going to assume it's a great hit and it's definite GOTY contender. Sequel shoudl be more than likely and it's a great change of pace. I have already put about 5 times more hours into RDR than into GTA 4.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']
If you thought John dying was the end then you haven't beaten it yet.
[/QUOTE]
Were you referring to the last stranger mission? If so...
Even after the last stranger mission, John is still dead i.e. cliche moment. The stranger mission was even more cliche playing off the title of the game by 'redemption' for his fathers death.

[quote name='Rhett']Would be cool to buy your own ranch or something. Herding cattle, mating horses, cleaning up cow pies... Yep, triple-A mini-game right there!
[/QUOTE]
I would disagree. The missions that involved the first two felt too much like grinding. I didn't enjoy any of them at all.

[quote name='Rhett']
Ah well, absolutely love the game. There HAS to be another 'sequel'. Such a nice change from GTA/GTA 4. Getting tired of running around cityscapes with the same scumbags and very, very basic two-tier weapons. A prequel would even work, or perhaps even from another perspective. Infact, I want a bow and arrow weapon!

*passes out while salivating about future possibilities*[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't doubt there will be a sequel. I'm expecting a prequel of John Marston life in the Dutchs gang to show up. As for a nice change from GTA... it is practically the same game. The only difference is now I have more save points and fast travel via campsites.

[quote name='wildcpac']I do not know the sales for the game but I am going to assume it's a great hit and it's definite GOTY contender[/QUOTE]
The sales have to be high. Though for reasons above, I wouldn't consider this a GOTY contender. It is a GTA clone set in a different era. I personally think the reviews are overrated.

Don't get me wrong still a good game to check out if you like sandbox games.

I have to agree that this game is largely just GTA in the West. It's so much GTA that at one point Marston even used the word "police", making me think that there was quite a bit of copying and pasting going on, even in the script! Mind you, I really like the game, and I like the setting, but I do wish it was a bit more different from GTA then it is.

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to agree that this game is largely just GTA in the West. It's so much GTA that at one point Marston even used the word "police", making me think that there was quite a bit of copying and pasting going on, even in the script! Mind you, I really like the game, and I like the setting, but I do wish it was a bit more different from GTA then it is.[/QUOTE]

Someone else had mentioned the word "police" being spoken by Marston in this thread, stating that it was an "oops" from Rockstar. However, there is clearly marked a "Police" building in Blackwater, where Agent Ross is stationed. I don't think this is a mistake.

I've tried some online searching, but I can't find precisely when the word "police" would have been widely used in the U.S. But look at this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police#United_States

It states:

In 1789 the US Marshals Service was established, followed by other federal services such as the US Parks Police (1791) and US Mint Police (1792). The first city police services were established in Philadelphia in 1751, Richmond, Virginia in 1807, Boston in 1838, and New York in 1845.

This game is set in the early 20th century, so I don't know why everyone seems to think it so hard to believe that the term "police" is used in the game.

[quote name='lordopus99']Though for reasons above, I wouldn't consider this a GOTY contender. It is a GTA clone set in a different era. I personally think the reviews are overrated.

Don't get me wrong still a good game to check out if you like sandbox games.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's all personal opinion, but for me, RDR is only competing with Mass Effect 2 for GOTY thus far. I feel like RDR has dramatically changed the GTA structure, and I think this style of open world game actually fits RDR's wild west better. The random encounters, deadly animals, challenges, outfits, and a variety of other aspects have sufficiently distanced it from the GTA series in my book.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I guess it's all personal opinion, but for me, RDR is only competing with Mass Effect 2 for GOTY thus far. I feel like RDR has dramatically changed the GTA structure, and I think this style of open world game actually fits RDR's wild west better. The random encounters, deadly animals, challenges, outfits, and a variety of other aspects have sufficiently distanced it from the GTA series in my book.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it distanced itself from GTA enough personally. Still too much being treated like an errand boy just to propel the story forward (they really have to find a better way to tell a story than relying on that every time). Too many parts of the story felt like it was just there to make the game longer than was interesting to play through.

I love the setting, random encounters and just roaming around. As far as the 'sandbox' part of the experience goes I felt they got it right here far more than what was done GTAIV. But spending the majority of the game playing as a bad ass that has to take orders from people he doesn't like for the majority of the game is getting old. I felt like the time Marston spent doing things for the mexican army and the rebels he could've looked for Williamson under every rock in the area by himself faster.

[quote name='lordopus99']
Were you referring to the last stranger mission? If so...
Even after the last stranger mission, John is still dead i.e. cliche moment. The stranger mission was even more cliche playing off the title of the game by 'redemption' for his fathers death.
[/QUOTE]
Cliche
a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse

What isn't Cliche now indays? How else would they end the story in a NON Cliche way? I thought the ending was really surprising. In an open world game, having two playable characters is a ton of work - especially at the end of the game. SO I never thought they would do all that work, just to kill off the main character.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^spoiler fail ^^^

i thought it would be cool to catch your own horses and keep them all at a ranch, or even cows. but GTA games have always had problems saving my cars i stored in garages. so i assume the same would happen in RDR.

[quote name='Rodimus']This has probably been asked before but what's the deal with the Amazon coupons? They haven't issued me one yet.[/QUOTE]
You should have the giftcard by now. You should contact Amazon and let them know you have not received it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I guess it's all personal opinion, but for me, RDR is only competing with Mass Effect 2 for GOTY thus far. I feel like RDR has dramatically changed the GTA structure, and I think this style of open world game actually fits RDR's wild west better. The random encounters, deadly animals, challenges, outfits, and a variety of other aspects have sufficiently distanced it from the GTA series in my book.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. This blows the rest of the sandbox genre, including GTA, out of the water. This and ME 2 are so far ahead of everything else this year thus far, IMO.

[quote name='The 7th Number']i thought it would be cool to catch your own horses and keep them all at a ranch, or even cows. but GTA games have always had problems saving my cars i stored in garages. so i assume the same would happen in RDR.[/QUOTE]Having your own ranches would be cool. I keep losing my horse though. At random times I'll whistle for my horse and instead of the fastest gold horse which is my horse, a slow white and brown paint shows up. It's probably screwing up doing 20 missions in a row with the same horse, plus the lack of speed bites. With the gold horse I can outrun the outlaws chasing me when I'm riding off with a live bounty.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Having your own ranches would be cool. I keep losing my horse though. At random times I'll whistle for my horse and instead of the fastest gold horse which is my horse, a slow white and brown paint shows up. It's probably screwing up doing 20 missions in a row with the same horse, plus the lack of speed bites. With the gold horse I can outrun the outlaws chasing me when I'm riding off with a live bounty.[/QUOTE]
its not 20 missions in a row and if it keeps dying save 700$ go to a shop and buy the certificate

[quote name='BingoBrown']Finally got the Legend of the West outfit tonight. Man, that thing was a bitch to get. Killing a bear with a knife was NOT easy.[/QUOTE]

It's actually not so bad if you shoot it first with a good pistol. Then you just have to slice it once with the knife.

Lost a lot of good horses when they decided to spawn in a body of water or on a steep surface. Not worth the effort but you can skin a lot of horses that way.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Finally got the Legend of the West outfit tonight. Man, that thing was a bitch to get. Killing a bear with a knife was NOT easy.[/QUOTE]
Same. What made it tough for me was I would get one or two slashes in him, and then he'd start running away, just fast enough to stay ahead. A couple times I'd start getting wolves and other bears spawning on me before I could finish off the one I had originally hit with my knife. For some reason I thought shooting the bear a few times before killing it would make it not count for the challenge, but I guess not.

[quote name='rapsodist']It's actually not so bad if you shoot it first with a good pistol. Then you just have to slice it once with the knife.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='reddjoey']Good with the pistol?? Use Dead-Eye to load a couple rounds in his legs[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know to do that. But here's the problem. I'd unload into the bear with pistol, then get off to knife him, but he'd start running away. I had one bear run into the river and kill himself. I had another bear taken out by a pack of wolves before I could get to him. Once, a different bear attacked me as I was going after the original bear I had shot.

Shooting the bear with a pistol first helps, but it doesn't make completing the challenge automatic. You need the bear to actually stand still before you can knife the fucker.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Yeah, I know to do that. But here's the problem. I'd unload into the bear with pistol, then get off to knife him, but he'd start running away. I had one bear run into the river and kill himself. I had another bear taken out by a pack of wolves before I could get to him. Once, a different bear attacked me as I was going after the original bear I had shot.

Shooting the bear with a pistol first helps, but it doesn't make completing the challenge automatic. You need the bear to actually stand still before you can knife the fucker.[/QUOTE]

Not really, try and guess which way the bear is going to turn when he is running away and just start knifing.

Or knife from the horse... Made those challenges super easy. The hardest one was probably the legendary cougar (only because it was hard to see cougars in the snow).

Mmm, vittles.

[quote name='wildcpac']I wish they had a hometown in the game (Assassins Creed 2) that you could upgrade, maintain, etc and make it your own home base.[/QUOTE]

yea, they could have used
Beecher's Hope

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to agree that this game is largely just GTA in the West. It's so much GTA that at one point Marston even used the word "police", making me think that there was quite a bit of copying and pasting going on, even in the script! Mind you, I really like the game, and I like the setting, but I do wish it was a bit more different from GTA then it is.[/QUOTE]

People on the Internet blows my fucking mind, sometimes.

[quote name='GUNNM']its not 20 missions in a row and if it keeps dying save 700$ go to a shop and buy the certificate[/QUOTE]What is it 15 then? Or do they not have to be in a row? Also, I have the cert and am already using it every time my horse switches, but will that still work? Guess I'll find out eventually.

[quote name='rapsodist']It's actually not so bad if you shoot it first with a good pistol. Then you just have to slice it once with the knife.[/QUOTE]That's not how Jeremiah Johnson would do it!

[quote name='KrizB']Lost a lot of good horses when they decided to spawn in a body of water or on a steep surface. Not worth the effort but you can skin a lot of horses that way.[/QUOTE]What's up with horse hides anyway? They are listed as high or very high value, but sell for $3. That's more like a low value.

Just wrapped up the single-player, and wow. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a game this much from its start to its epic finish in a long, long time. It's definitely one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of this generation.

[quote name='Fjordson']100% is finally complete. Finishing out all the outfits was surprisingly easy.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm roughly 12 bounty missions and an outfit away from 100% myself. First time ever for me in a Rockstar game, but this is also by far the best Rockstar game I've ever played.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Just wrapped up the single-player, and wow. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a game this much from its start to its epic finish in a long, long time. It's definitely one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of this generation.[/QUOTE]

Yup.
Powerful ending. I love how it doesn't really end until after the Blackwater stranger mission.

[quote name='BingoBrown']
Yup.
Powerful ending. I love how it doesn't really end until after the Blackwater stranger mission.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever felt genuinely pissed off at the events of a game until John was gunned down. I loved that you were given an opportunity to get revenge afterward as well. The final shoot-out at the river was a simple yet spectacular way of ending the game's storyline.

[quote name='captainfrizo']
I don't think I've ever felt genuinely pissed off at the events of a game until John was gunned down. I loved that you were given an opportunity to get revenge afterward as well. The final shoot-out at the river was a simple yet spectacular way of ending the game's storyline.
[/QUOTE]

I wasn't really pissed off at the ending, just sad. I played John as a perfect angel. I felt he had redeemed himself. He was once just as bad as Dutch and Bill, but he changed. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for him to get away from his past.

Of course, I wonder why Rockstar didn't go more of a Mass Effect route with this game? In Mass Effect, your decisions matter (to some extent). Here, you could play the game good or evil, but that really had no impact on the storyline.

It would have been awesome if there had been different endings based on John's honor at the end of the game. Bad John gets gunned down in the end, Good John gets to live in peace with his family.

Regardless, the way they did it was still great, but sad.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I think I'm roughly 12 bounty missions and an outfit away from 100% myself. First time ever for me in a Rockstar game, but this is also by far the best Rockstar game I've ever played.

Yup.
[/QUOTE]
Definitely. I loved the ending title card right as Jack is walking away from Ross's body. Really awesome.

And this was my first 100% in a R* game also. I never even came close in the GTA games. I was always around maybe 80%.

I'm taking this game nice and slow and exploring as much as possible. I don't care about 100%, nor cheesemints, but if I get'em, I get'em.

However, I was a little pissed that my horse (Kentucky Saddler) ran across the field that separated me and a bounty/gang, and ended up getting blown to bits in the crossfire. I didn't feel like restarting since it took a long ass time to journey across the map for this bounty, so I said fuck it and bit the bullet.

This game caused me to go on mini-tilt in poker. :lol: I went all-in with pocket jacks pre-flop, got called by Claude Banfield who proceeded to flop two pair with his 5-4. I shot him.

Game is amazing!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Now every time I see my gf's cat laying down, I have to do Johns skinning animation on him... I think I have a problem...[/QUOTE]

You have allergies? go for it...

Found all of the gold, for some reason I ignored the treasure map for most of the story.

Anyone else have the game get stuck after exiting multiplayer to single player? This always happens to me. It just sits there cycling the load images and never actually does anything. Only way out is going to dashboard.

[quote name='thamaster24']You have allergies? go for it...

Found all of the gold, for some reason I ignored the treasure map for most of the story.[/QUOTE]Just out of curiosity, can you find the chest without getting the map first or does getting a map activate the chest? I actually was right at the first chest while doing a bounty and didn't see it although I was busy shooting bad guys and not looking at my feet.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Now every time I see my gf's cat laying down, I have to do Johns skinning animation on him... I think I have a problem...[/QUOTE]Do you toss out a "Whatchu been eatin?" or a "Lie still, heh, heh?"

In Mexico,
is it possible to shoot the german's gun out of his hand in the duel and not kill him or does he just pull another gun or something? I went for the disarm, but he twisted his gun at the last second and I targeted his head instead. Oopsy!

bread's done
Back