Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Anyone else have the game get stuck after exiting multiplayer to single player? This always happens to me. It just sits there cycling the load images and never actually does anything. Only way out is going to dashboard.[/QUOTE]

Same problem for me. Doesn't always happen, but it does every once in a while. I think it would eventually get back to single player after minutes, but I usually don't give it that long. Obviously there is some kind of bug there.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Just out of curiosity, can you find the chest without getting the map first or does getting a map activate the chest? I actually was right at the first chest while doing a bounty and didn't see it although I was busy shooting bad guys and not looking at my feet.[/QUOTE]

You need each map before you can gather each treasure.

[quote name='jdawgg76']
In Mexico,
is it possible to shoot the german's gun out of his hand in the duel and not kill him or does he just pull another gun or something? I went for the disarm, but he twisted his gun at the last second and I targeted his head instead. Oopsy!
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty positive that there are certain storyline characters that you cannot disarm when dueling. I tried disarming the German several times to no avail, so I'm guessing the game won't let you. Same problem happens with a few other duels that are started by a cutscene.

[quote name='jdawgg76']
In Mexico,
is it possible to shoot the german's gun out of his hand in the duel and not kill him or does he just pull another gun or something? I went for the disarm, but he twisted his gun at the last second and I targeted his head instead. Oopsy!
[/QUOTE]

That German is one of the worst characters I've ever encountered in a videogame. He doesn't advance the story in any way and his mission introduces no new gameplay elements. A truly worthless character, whose only purpose is to be murdered by you a minute after you meet him.

Also, he's ugly and sounds retarded.

[quote name='beerme']
That German is one of the worst characters I've ever encountered in a videogame. He doesn't advance the story in any way and his mission introduces no new gameplay elements. A truly worthless character, whose only purpose is to be murdered by you a minute after you meet him.

Also, he's ugly and sounds retarded.
[/QUOTE]

The majority of Mexico missions didn't advance the story.

[quote name='bingobrown']
I'm pretty positive that there are certain storyline characters that you cannot disarm when dueling. I tried disarming the German several times to no avail, so I'm guessing the game won't let you. Same problem happens with a few other duels that are started by a cutscene.
[/QUOTE]

I'm 100% positive that you cannot disarm anyone during a mission duel i.e. Lucky in Love and Eva in Peril Stranger Mission

Someone has probably asked this already, but...

Why on earth didn't RS include a "sell all" button? Having to sell 10+ of the same type of item one by one is annoying.

The same with a skip animation button. I've seen that skinning/looting animation at least 100 times now. It actually makes me not want to harvest anything anymore because I cringe at having to watch that animation again.

Is there any real penalty to dying?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Someone has probably asked this already, but...

Why on earth didn't RS include a "sell all" button? Having to sell 10+ of the same type of item one by one is annoying.

The same with a skip animation button. I've seen that skinning/looting animation at least 100 times now. It actually makes me not want to harvest anything anymore because I cringe at having to watch that animation again.

Is there any real penalty to dying?[/QUOTE]
You can change the quantity when you sale items. I can't remember exactly which button it is but it's either the left or right stick to change the quantity. Makes it go a bit faster.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
The same with a skip animation button. I've seen that skinning/looting animation at least 100 times now. It actually makes me not want to harvest anything anymore because I cringe at having to watch that animation again.[/QUOTE]

Just imagine if skinning had been a minigame... *shudder*

[quote name='Michael Scott']You can change the quantity when you sale items. I can't remember exactly which button it is but it's either the left or right stick to change the quantity. Makes it go a bit faster.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ziv']When selling, push up or down on the right stick to change quantity.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks!

[quote name='lordopus99']
The majority of Mexico missions didn't advance the story.
[/quote]

Yeah, those missions were my biggest problem with the whole game. Marston just gets yanked around by everyone. Plus I thought his whole working with the military killing what seemed to be innocent people and burning their villages down so the general could get more women to rape sort of conflicted with the theme of him trying to achieve redemption.

Rockstar has some good stories to tell, but they need to find a better way to tell them.

The end was one of the better I've seen in a game, but christ I wish they could've found a better way to do the final story missions. They were boring and Jack was whiny. Jack murdering the guy who killed his father also seemed like it went against what Marston wanted for him, which makes his sacrifice sort of pointless. At least that's the way I saw it.

I liked the game though. First R* games I've going for 100% in.

[quote name='whiptcracker']
The end was one of the better I've seen in a game, but christ I wish they could've found a better way to do the final story missions. They were boring and Jack was whiny. Jack murdering the guy who killed his father also seemed like it went against what Marston wanted for him, which makes his sacrifice sort of pointless. At least that's the way I saw it.
[/QUOTE]

I like the final story missions. Not because they're good, but because of the set-up. Marston is settling into his life as a rancher, but you know something is wrong, and that it won't end happily. There was great contrast there between ranching chores and the army assault at the end, and I liked that.

I think the reason to have Jack kill Agent Ross in the end is the whole moral of the story. You can't run away from your past, and you can't change who you are. John wanted a better life for his son, but in the end, his son was too much like his father.

And clearly, although Jack wasn't living the ideal life that John would've wanted, he wasn't a lawless bandit like John was early in his life. Jack became a bounty hunter, a somewhat respectable lifestyle.

Ok, maybe I'm just retarded but I'm stuck. On the West Dickens mission where you race horses (just horses, not cart), I can't seem to beat it no matter what I do. I even went and bought a $750 fast horse and that doesn't help at all. Right off the bat they all speed ahead. I can eventually get in 4th or 5th but the other horses in front of me create a line that I can't get around. And their horses keep the same speed the entire time that I can't keep up with. I mash A until my horse is in the red then I have to lay off and they just keep going the same speed and I fall behind. Am I doing something stupid or is this that hard? Any tips?

[quote name='BingoBrown']
I like the final story missions. Not because they're good, but because of the set-up. Marston is settling into his life as a rancher, but you know something is wrong, and that it won't end happily. There was great contrast there between ranching chores and the army assault at the end, and I liked that.

I think the reason to have Jack kill Agent Ross in the end is the whole moral of the story. You can't run away from your past, and you can't change who you are. John wanted a better life for his son, but in the end, his son was too much like his father.

And clearly, although Jack wasn't living the ideal life that John would've wanted, he wasn't a lawless bandit like John was early in his life. Jack became a bounty hunter, a somewhat respectable lifestyle.
[/QUOTE]

I get that he was settling into the life of a rancher, I just think they could've done something more interesting with it than doing most of the things that I'd already done on the MacFarlane ranch. I loved the part though where Marston's wife and Bonnie got to meet each other and their conversation on the way back.

I just think for a game titled Red Dead Redemption for the story to end with that you can't run away from your past or change who you are sort of goes against the whole Redemption part.

[quote name='tcrash247']Ok, maybe I'm just retarded but I'm stuck. On the West Dickens mission where you race horses (just horses, not cart), I can't seem to beat it no matter what I do. I even went and bought a $750 fast horse and that doesn't help at all. Right off the bat they all speed ahead. I can eventually get in 4th or 5th but the other horses in front of me create a line that I can't get around. And their horses keep the same speed the entire time that I can't keep up with. I mash A until my horse is in the red then I have to lay off and they just keep going the same speed and I fall behind. Am I doing something stupid or is this that hard? Any tips?[/QUOTE]

I got it the first time but it was close. I just mashed the button, rested, then mashed again. Maybe try horse pills?

[quote name='whiptcracker']
I just think for a game titled Red Dead Redemption for the story to end with that you can't run away from your past or change who you are sort of goes against the whole Redemption part.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't say that John didn't redeem himself. I think he did, and that should have been enough, but it wasn't. His past transgressions ultimately caught up with him. Redemption couldn't save him.

But, John's redemption did save his son. John and Abigail had turned themselves into respectable citizens, and they raised their son well. Jack didn't turn to a life of gangs and crime like his father had. That's what John really wanted, a better life for his son, and in the end, that's what he got. That was the fruit of his redemption.

[quote name='tcrash247']Ok, maybe I'm just retarded but I'm stuck. On the West Dickens mission where you race horses (just horses, not cart), I can't seem to beat it no matter what I do. I even went and bought a $750 fast horse and that doesn't help at all. Right off the bat they all speed ahead. I can eventually get in 4th or 5th but the other horses in front of me create a line that I can't get around. And their horses keep the same speed the entire time that I can't keep up with. I mash A until my horse is in the red then I have to lay off and they just keep going the same speed and I fall behind. Am I doing something stupid or is this that hard? Any tips?[/QUOTE]

That's your problem. Don't mash the A button. Get in a rhythm of hitting the A button, and you'll never run out of stamina (or even go past halfway). You can also hold the A button and you will keep a decent pace without losing any stamina. I just did this mission not long ago and thought I had to rush around so I ended up flipping my cart a few times before restarting and dominating the course.

[quote name='HydroX']That's your problem. Don't mash the A button. Get in a rhythm of hitting the A button, and you'll never run out of stamina (or even go past halfway). You can also hold the A button and you will keep a decent pace without losing any stamina. I just did this mission not long ago and thought I had to rush around so I ended up flipping my cart a few times before restarting and dominating the course.[/QUOTE]

No, it's the next one. I already did the one where you sit on a cart and the horse pulls you.

[quote name='mtxbass1']

Is there any real penalty to dying?[/QUOTE]

You lose out on whatever you were looting between your last save. So if you went out and killed 10 bears, got the loot and got killed off, well you have to do it all over again.

Still, it's the same deal. Don't mash A, hit it once every few seconds in a rhythm. I never dropped below halfway in stamina and won the race ridiculously easy.

i don't understand the free roam multiplayer... i just shot anyone on a horse who rode past me. I just got the game so I haven't even played single player yet but is there any reason for playing free roam?

You can win that race with the horse that Bonnie gives you. Do not mash the A button and only let it get down to about 1/4 of the way for the bar. Let it fill up and do it some more. race is pretty easy.

[quote name='DestroVega']i don't understand the free roam multiplayer... i just shot anyone on a horse who rode past me. I just got the game so I haven't even played single player yet but is there any reason for playing free roam?[/QUOTE]

Free roam is just one aspect of the online multiplayer. It acts essentially as the game lobby to get in other game types (deathmatch, etc.).

But, in free roam you can also make a posse with other players, attack other players, attack NPCs (including lawmen), complete gang hideouts, or attempt the various challenges presented to you in your journal. Most of these actions will give you some amount of XP to level up your multiplayer character.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I got it the first time but it was close. I just mashed the button, rested, then mashed again. Maybe try horse pills?[/QUOTE]

Horse pills are key, even if you mash. I ended up using two in this mission.

[quote name='lordopus99']Horse pills are key, even if you mash. I ended up using two in this mission.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what I did differently, but I've never mashed the A button nor used horse pills/apples. I just rythmically tap the A button ever so often and use a fast horse.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I don't know what I did differently, but I've never mashed the A button nor used horse pills/apples. I just rythmically tap the A button ever so often and use a fast horse.[/QUOTE]

You are talking about the second race... right?
If so, then I'm not sure what you did different. I used Kentucky Saddler (the one from the bonnie mission) with a tap A every so often routine and needed two pills at the end so I could mash away.

If so, then I'm not sure what you did different. I used Kentucky Saddler (the one from the bonnie mission) with a tap A every so often routine and needed two pills at the end so I could mash away.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, except I didn't use horse pills. Tried the rhythmic tapping first and that got me nowhere so I mashed, held A to regain stamina, mashed, repeat. I won but just barely.

If so, then I'm not sure what you did different. I used Kentucky Saddler (the one from the bonnie mission) with a tap A every so often routine and needed two pills at the end so I could mash away.[/QUOTE]

The second race is what everyone is discussing, but I never used horse pills/apples in any race, or in the game at all.

I also used the Kentucky Saddler from Bonnie's horse mission. Maybe our horse loyalty was different? That's the only difference I could see.

All day today, my Kentucky Saddler randomly keels over and dies. Nothing attacks it, it doesn't get shot, no snakes in the area, it just randomly falls over and dies. Then after a minute or two, I can call a new one in it's place... but that one does the same. Uhhh....

I'm hoping this is a bug that leads me to find the Cougar Man and the gun-wielding dog.

[quote name='HydroX']All day today, my Kentucky Saddler randomly keels over and dies. Nothing attacks it, it doesn't get shot, no snakes in the area, it just randomly falls over and dies. Then after a minute or two, I can call a new one in it's place... but that one does the same. Uhhh....[/QUOTE]

I had my Kentucky Saddler do that once, but I think it had been shot and wounded. It was weird though, because he didn't die immediately from the shooting, he kept going for a little while and then just flopped on the ground.

Maybe you should try buying the deed of a different horse, activating it, then activate your Kenutcky Saddler deed. That might "reboot" the horse.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I had my Kentucky Saddler do that once, but I think it had been shot and wounded. It was weird though, because he didn't die immediately from the shooting, he kept going for a little while and then just flopped on the ground.

Maybe you should try buying the deed of a different horse, activating it, then activate your Kenutcky Saddler deed. That might "reboot" the horse.[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a shot. At first I was like, what the hell? Cougar? I mean, I literally got off the horse, took a few steps away then heard something fall. I turn around and my horse is taking a dirt nap.

It's possible the horse was wounded, then when my game auto-saved it saved a wounded horse? Or does the horse health reset during a save? Oh, so many questions....

[quote name='HydroX']All day today, my Kentucky Saddler randomly keels over and dies. Nothing attacks it, it doesn't get shot, no snakes in the area, it just randomly falls over and dies. Then after a minute or two, I can call a new one in it's place... but that one does the same. Uhhh....

I'm hoping this is a bug that leads me to find the Cougar Man and the gun-wielding dog.[/QUOTE]

Happened to me with my horse getting shot, I whistled and it wasn't a Kentucky Saddler. Made it take a little longer to get the Spurred to Victory achievement.

That sucks that it's happening all day. I've only had it happen once, and I am almost convinced horses randomly dying is a glitch because what happened. I was practically in the middle of Armadillo, riding away from the saloon after loading up my game (in other words, I had only been playing for like two minutes at most). For no reason, my horse faceplants the dirt, sending me flying over it's head. I still have no idea what happened since no one was hostile, and there's no wildlife in the town.

[quote name='M1nUrThr3t']I have the game and looking to trade anyone who is interested.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, better hope a mod doesn't see this, especially after they nuked the thread in the deals forum.

You might come out ahead doing this.

RDR is $25.00 base trade-in plus 50% bonus = $37.50 ($40.00 if you have an edge card)
CoD W@W $19.99 Used at GS

[quote name='reddjoey']Dude, better hope a mod doesn't see this, especially after they nuked the thread in the deals forum.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didnt know it would be a prob. Fixed though.

[quote name='reddjoey']It's cool, you're new. I'd look into the idea I edited in. Sorry, newbie probation sucks, but it's only 30 days IIRC[/QUOTE]

Ya it does, really liking this forum though.

This is a great game though. Love the free roam and all the game play this has to offer, but just not my game type.

[quote name='moojuice']That sucks that it's happening all day. I've only had it happen once, and I am almost convinced horses randomly dying is a glitch because what happened. I was practically in the middle of Armadillo, riding away from the saloon after loading up my game (in other words, I had only been playing for like two minutes at most). For no reason, my horse faceplants the dirt, sending me flying over it's head. I still have no idea what happened since no one was hostile, and there's no wildlife in the town.[/QUOTE]

So, my horse finally croaked (for good). I got a brown and white horse as a replacement, so I went ahead and bought the deed to the Kentucky Saddler and fixed that problem.

i went from level 3 to 25 today, seems really easy compared to a game like gears 2 lol. i just keep doing the twin rocks gang hideout in private freeroam. but i have issues trying to play public games. most of the time i get kicked before i even enter the lobby. then it goes to a never ending loading screen. i thought they would have patched that by now.

[quote name='The 7th Number']but i have issues trying to play public games. most of the time i get kicked before i even enter the lobby. then it goes to a never ending loading screen. i thought they would have patched that by now.[/QUOTE]

There's supposed to be a patch coming out by the end of this week, so it's coming soon.

I was out breaking in some horses in the Great Plains, and I see some crazy crap going on.

I'm riding around, after a horse. I lasso it, break it etc, get back on my horse...

Then I get cougar'd, followed by what had to be two packs of wolves, and before I could get back up from my horse dying to the cougar, a boar gores me twice (doesn't kill me, though it was close). Then some guy who was apparently hunting the boar, rides up and gets off his horse, but doesn't shoot. I kill the boar, the guy gets on his horse and sits there.

Somehow I was still alive with the cougar and wolves around.. not sure what happened to them. This happened lastnight...

Also finished the game lastnight, and despite knowing what happens at the ending...
It was very sad! Ugh! Not to mention Jack is the RAIDEN of RDR!!! UGH!!! What a sissy! /rage -- It's like going from ultra badass gentleman to cliche I'm-a-cowboy-impersonator. "Yeehaw!" ... SERIOUSLY?! :bomb:

Oh, and funny glitch. When John sends Jack and Abigail out on a horse before he steps outside, my game also showed a really beaten-down Jack standing in the barn, while also being pristine ontop of the horse. It was pretty funny. He rides out, and then when the horse passes by... SHAZAM! Wounded and standing around for no reason.

Finally finished it this morning. I really loved it, I think more so than any of the GTA's (which I enjoy a lot). The ending was really interesting IMO, I think better than the typical GTA ending. I really loved what they did with the last 10 missions or so, the pacing of the game changes and I really dug it, not what I expected at all. I haven't played any multiplayer yet but I am looking forward to playing with friends. Great game overall.

[quote name='tcrash247']I finally beat that race last night, took 3 apples and 2 horse pills, but I did it. I was so happy.[/QUOTE]

I did that mission shortly after you posted about it. If you have the Kentucky Saddler it should be no contest. Just stay on the paths and you'll keep max speed.

I had some real weirdness happen to me last night.

I was in a mission for the Mexican Army guy, and I was using cover behind a low wall, I got into the inside corner and tried to mover over to the other wall. All of a sudden I flew 50 feet straight up in the air. Marston made some kind of 'oh shit' noise, and I fell back to earth, landed and died. Had to do the mission over.

Then right after that mission, I'm riding back to my save point, I see a Mexican ride by on a Burro, and his head is on fire. A 10 foot high flame was licking off the top of his head and he was making noises like he was in pain. I followed him down the road for a few minutes, he didn't die and his head stayed on fire. Eventually I left him because I wanted to save my game.

Those are the first real glitches/problems I've found in the game, other than slow response to my control inputs and general laggy framerate when alot is going on (missions where you have to kill a hundred people).

[quote name='Puffa469']Then right after that mission, I'm riding back to my save point, I see a Mexican ride by on a Burro, and his head is on fire. A 10 foot high flame was licking off the top of his head and he was making noises like he was in pain. I followed him down the road for a few minutes, he didn't die and his head stayed on fire. Eventually I left him because I wanted to save my game.[/QUOTE]

Sounds hilarious. :)

bread's done
Back