The Official Super Paper Mario thread | Got what it takes to save the worlds?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The sprites didnt have enough bump mapping and light bloom[/quote]

Lack of true, deep 24-bit color is a bummer too.

I wish I hadn't read that though, spoiled the Peach thing for me.

[quote name='botticus']
Good - Wildly creative and funny.
Bad - Inconsistent level design, last-gen visuals.[/QUOTE]

Why do I get the feeling we're going to be seeing these particular comments a lot when Wii games get reviewed? And didn't most gaming mags/sites make a big stink last gen about how they don't compare consoles graphically? They weren't going to judge the PS2 version of a game in comparison to the usually better looking Xbox version, just in relation to other PS2 games? I guess those lofty ideals are out the window ...

[quote name='trq']Why do I get the feeling we're going to be seeing these particular comments a lot when Wii games get reviewed? And didn't most gaming mags/sites make a big stink last gen about how they don't compare consoles graphically? They weren't going to judge the PS2 version of a game in comparison to the usually better looking Xbox version, just in relation to other PS2 games? I guess those lofty ideals are out the window ...[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt mind the sudden decision that Hi-Def visuals are indeed great to look at, if it was tempered by the reviewers being required to play a session of a 360 or PS3 game in front of a 480i (standard def) TV to see if the visuals still fare well at the lower resolution. The logic for this being that many people still have the older TVs and have yet to upgrade.

How in the hell can you make a cartoon character like Mario even more detailed... there is a limit to how much you can spruce up these characters IMO, weve seen to where Sonic ganes have to have lifelike human characters in them now, which looks ridiculous next to Sonic

[quote name='zman73']How in the hell can you make a cartoon character like Mario even more detailed... there is a limit to how much you can spruce up these characters IMO, weve seen to where Sonic ganes have to have lifelike human characters in them now, which looks ridiculous next to Sonic[/QUOTE]

I agree. Paper Mario: TTYD is to this day one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Saying this shit is "last-gen graphics" is completely asinine.

Didn't think I was going to be able to get this, but the gamestop trade two get one wii game has changed that. Can't wait!

[quote name='jer7583']Didn't think I was going to be able to get this, but the gamestop trade two get one wii game has changed that. Can't wait![/quote]Forgot about that... Definitely gonna see if I can snag a used Farcry and an Open Season this weekend. Hopefully the store with 1-3 Farcrys actually has two, save me a ten mile trip to another store. Should save me about $15, since I was planning on using EB credit anyway.

[quote name='botticus']EGM gave it 8, 9, 9, Game of the Month.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=15376

Good and Bad:

Super Paper Mario
Good - Wildly creative and funny.
Bad - Inconsistent level design, [highlight]last-gen visuals.[/highlight]
Comedic Highlight - Peach's dating-sim boss encounter.

8.0 = Shane
9.0 = Andrew P.
9.0 = Bryan[/QUOTE]

Oh noes, now Cheapy will feel justified in his CAGcast dissing of the videos he saw ;).

On the other hand, they'll find it hard to ignore the "game of the month" when it comes out. Maybe Wombat can finally put the batteries back into his Wii remotes after taking them from whatever electronic devices he moved them too.

Botticus - where are you getting the FarCry and Open Season? Are they cheap used at EB, AND you can use them for the trade 2 deal? Seems like a loophole EB/GS would normally not allow ;).

Nice deal on the two Wii trade deals. Will have to try and do that then.
Last Gen visuals? Who cares. My Wii is not the 'graphic powerhouse' and I know that. Its all about gameplay that 36-/PS3 can not do.

Play Magazine
It feels and looks polished, considerate, and expensive. [Apr 2007, p.40]

Games Radar
Anyone with half a heart will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the graphics, the dialogue, the old-school shout-outs to previous games, the little visual effects lingering in the skies of every world... the love just keeps plopping out of the speakers at an incredible rate. For every annoying, excessively long fetch quest or mundane puzzle, there's a huge, cutesy payoff that makes all the trouble worthwhile.

Full Games Radar review
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/wii/game/reviews/article.jsp?articleId=20070330102557989000&sectionId=1000

[quote name='botticus']They're $20 new/$18 used right now - it's a loophole, but one that unless they revise their restrictions in the next week, will go through.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132793[/QUOTE]

heh - just went through all that stuff. It has been a while since I exploited an EB promo, looks like it it time to try it again. Thing is, I already have SPM preordered with $29.99 paid off already. Either I just need to preorder it at another store or I need to see if they will take this as payment for my preorder pickup and just get the $29.99 credited (or moved over to another game).

I know a few people have been able to use this deal to preorder SPM. What I'm wondering is if you can use it to preorder games that come out later as well (like Metroid or Mario Party)? If they let you, there should be no problem as they will have to put $49.99 on your preorder and once that goes through there will be no way of enforcing the end date for the trade-in deal.

I am very much awaiting SPM.

finally an a Mario game on the Wii. A New side scrolling Mario game too.

so i preordered SPM at amazon several weeks ago and got an email today that there is going to be a delay on shipping. Its gonna ship on the 10th rather than the 9th. Doesn't seem like any kind of april fools joke, at least I don't think it is, one more day of waiting won't kill me :lol:

I'm surprised at the low scores, but I guarantee that it is because the game isn't in super high def HD GrapH1xxZZZ

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how did I miss the thread on the 2nd most important wii game? geeze I need a Wii sometime...

oh, and No More Heroes is #1 in case you were wondering.[/quote]i have to say that game looks mighty sexy, and not just because of the lightsaber, aside from that, i just preordered SPM, so i'll be playing it day 1 like you guys :D

[quote name='ahou']so i preordered SPM at amazon several weeks ago and got an email today that there is going to be a delay on shipping. Its gonna ship on the 10th rather than the 9th. Doesn't seem like any kind of april fools joke, at least I don't think it is, one more day of waiting won't kill me :lol:[/QUOTE]

Goddammit, I just looked at my order (which I placed a couple days ago) and found out that it is supposedly shipping on the 16th.

EDIT: My account of Amazon says the 14th. I hope it ships the 9th or 10th

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Definitely. Who wants a game that only gets 8's and 9's?[/quote]

True.

This game is probably shit, nothing to see here.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']These are low scores?[/QUOTE]

I guarantee that if this game was on the PS3 in HD it would have 10's across the board and be labeled as the greatest Mario game evAr11!!

And yeah 8's and 9's are good, but after all I've seen I was expecting 9's and 10's and GOTY talk. But I guess I'm stupid to have thought a 2D game could do that well in this day and age.

The scores are where I expected them. The paper mario games have always been very good, but not great. I'd give the past ones 8-8.5 personally.

While I'm more excited for this one due to it being more of a platformer, I still wasn't expecting it to be in the 9.0-10 range.

Is there any update as to when Costco B&M will get this game? It's on their website right now for pre-order at 44.99 and there was a previous post saying that the Costco systems show in-store on Apr 7th.

Also as a general rule of thumb, does Costco B&M usually start selling games on-time? Or is there usually a lag-time?

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Goddammit, I just looked at my order (which I placed a couple days ago) and found out that it is supposedly shipping on the 16th.

EDIT: My account of Amazon says the 14th. I hope it ships the 9th or 10th[/quote]
Mine says shipping on the 10th. If it gets even more delayed like yours, I'll cancel my order.

[quote name='Foolman']Mine says shipping on the 10th. If it gets even more delayed like yours, I'll cancel my order.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Put 'em to the glass, Reggie!

[quote name='Eclipse3EB']Is there any update as to when Costco B&M will get this game? It's on their website right now for pre-order at 44.99 and there was a previous post saying that the Costco systems show in-store on Apr 7th.

Also as a general rule of thumb, does Costco B&M usually start selling games on-time? Or is there usually a lag-time?[/quote]

[quote name='soonersfan60']Does Costco usually get games early? (I am still hoping to get this over the weekend to play for an Easter party.)[/quote]

Costco will get this game on 4/07/07. Unfortunately, that's only because costco don't get shipments on sundays or mondays. It doesn't mean that they'll be out on the shelves as they usually have signs that say to hold till a certain date. As well, each costco will get at least 7 and the price would be $43.79, or at least it is on my werehouses computer.

Ah yes, and I was able to trade in 2 Wii games to preorder Super Paper Mario in full.

I'll be calling BB starting probably sunday in hopes of early shipments. I'd buy it elsewhere, but as I've probably already said, I have RZ certs to burn.

So excited!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']When does the trade 2, get 1 deal end? Do you need a coupon? This would be a great way for me to score a copy of SPM on day 1. :D[/QUOTE]

I think it ends the 15th of April.

I just did it Tues night. Got Far Cry and Open Season at a Gamestop and then went to an EB and traded both in and preordered Mario Party 8 (should be easier to preorder SPM as it actually comes out during the trade-in promo). No coupon is needed - they just manually bump up the trade-in prices. Make sure to give them your Edge card to scan when they take the trades as it hoses up their bump-up calculation and you will probably end up with extra credit in the end (I got $3.90 extra ;)).

I may do it again for SPM, though I already have it preordered at an EB. If I can get another I'll just switch that one to something else, maybe Mass Effect.

From the EB web site:
* Free PS3 games must be $59.99 or less. Free Wii games must be $49.99 or less. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Wii Play, Wii Sports, & demos not applicable towards offer. Offer not valid towards cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks. Offer expires. 4/15/07.

YMMV on getting it to work on a preorder, though it seems most people have had luck with that. It probably helps that they push their employees to score game reserves, so they will gladly do it as it helps their numbers ;). certainly you should be able to do the promo once the game comes out next week, assuming they have extra copies for sale.

[quote name='io']I think it ends the 15th of April.

I just did it Tues night. Got Far Cry and Open Season at a Gamestop and then went to an EB and traded both in and preordered Mario Party 8 (should be easier to preorder SPM as it actually comes out during the trade-in promo). No coupon is needed - they just manually bump up the trade-in prices. Make sure to give them your Edge card to scan when they take the trades as it hoses up their bump-up calculation and you will probably end up with extra credit in the end (I got $3.90 extra ;)).

I may do it again for SPM, though I already have it preordered at an EB. If I can get another I'll just switch that one to something else, maybe Mass Effect.

From the EB web site:

YMMV on getting it to work on a preorder, though it seems most people have had luck with that. It probably helps that they push their employees to score game reserves, so they will gladly do it as it helps their numbers ;). certainly you should be able to do the promo once the game comes out next week, assuming they have extra copies for sale.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks a lot man.

Well I used to be Super excited about this game until I watched the video so far from boot up to you actually play the game depending on how fast you can push the button to get past all the story..(by the way I read books for story, not 50 dollar games), but so far 10 minutes of the game is what people are saying, not you doing something, reminds me of all the videos in Final Fantasy 7 or so, what was it 8 hours of gameplay in 15 hours of the game.

[quote name='mercilessming']Well I used to be Super excited about this game until I watched the video so far from boot up to you actually play the game depending on how fast you can push the button to get past all the story..(by the way I read books for story, not 50 dollar games), but so far 10 minutes of the game is what people are saying, not you doing something, reminds me of all the videos in Final Fantasy 7 or so, what was it 8 hours of gameplay in 15 hours of the game.[/QUOTE]

It's almost always the case with Nintendo 1st party games that you have reading/tutorials at the beginning of the game.

I'm suspicious that you actually read books, considering apparently 10 minutes of reading in a game is enough for you to judge the entire game by it's opening cover.

[quote name='Strell']It's almost always the case with Nintendo 1st party games that you have reading/tutorials at the beginning of the game.

I'm suspicious that you actually read books, considering apparently 10 minutes of reading in a game is enough for you to judge the entire game by it's opening cover.[/quote]

ZING!

[quote name='Strell']It's almost always the case with Nintendo 1st party games that you have reading/tutorials at the beginning of the game.

I'm suspicious that you actually read books, considering apparently 10 minutes of reading in a game is enough for you to judge the entire game by it's opening cover.[/quote]

:cool: ha ha funny,

however If you meant to insult me, then I am sorry that you feel insulted and feel the need to retort by showing your posting prowess of writing one liners and zingers, because someone doesn't agree with your opinion on a game.

However if one reads a book in 10 minutes, an average person usually reads upwards 15~20 pages in 10 minutes or around 4200 words in 10 minutes and if the book cann't successfully pull you in and make you interested will you preceed? the same for a game if it doesn't pull you in after 10 mins then will you proceed out of anything but boredom.

[quote name='mercilessming']:cool: ha ha funny,

however If you meant to insult me, then I am sorry that you feel insulted and feel the need to retort by showing your posting prowess of writing one liners and zingers, because someone doesn't agree with your opinion on a game.

However if one reads a book in 10 minutes, an average person usually reads upwards 15~20 pages in 10 minutes or around 4200 words in 10 minutes and if the book cann't successfully pull you in and make you interested will you preceed? the same for a game if it doesn't pull you in after 10 mins then will you proceed out of anything but boredom.[/quote]

You give a game 10 minutes before you decide if you like it?

However if one reads a book in 10 minutes, an average person usually reads upwards 15~20 pages in 10 minutes or around 4200 words in 10 minutes and if the book cann't successfully pull you in and make you interested will you preceed? the same for a game if it doesn't pull you in after 10 mins then will you proceed out of anything but boredom.

Are you new to gaming? Like you started yesterday new? Because anyone who has played any amount of games knows that most games have some kind of "not so fun, not so interesting" tutorial at the beginning.

And if you only give anything you try 10 min before ditching then you must have some sort of ADD. Maybe you should get that checked out.

Paper mario needs a good hour or two before it starts rockin, lol. Zelda needs a good couple hours....all the good games need them. :roll:

bread's done
Back